Is Green better than Pierce?

1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortiz123. Show Ortiz123's posts

Re: Is Green better than Pierce?

don't think so..not yet anyway. Lets see what he does with a whole season under his belt.  But he definitely could be the face of the future along with Rondo and Sully...Good stuff

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

He has been better in pre season. Green is on his way up, Pierce is on the down side, so it's just a matter of time !!

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Pierce is still the better player but Green can be a more impactful presence on the court for a larger percentage of time this season b/c of his youth, assuming his preseason play carries over or even improves as the year goes on.

Even before he returned healthy I was saying that Green should start over Pierce.

Green should have the minutes he plays with Rondo maximized as much as possible, they are scary running together and Jeff needs a PG who will find him in the perfect positions to get th emost out of his skill set.

Paul needs to both play less mins as he ages AND is still a crafty scorer who can get buckets in almost every way possible for a basketball player to score. He remains our best 1 on 1 player, but will have more success vs. a backup (obviously) and will give backups an 'out' to dump the ball to anytime something goes wrong and expect PP to bail them out. Paul is the Celtic who needs Rondo's help the least and he can also handle the ball better than Green, giving a bench of combo-guards another option for bringing the ball up the court.

Nobody wants to see Green doing that.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

No, not yet!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Green was the third option in OKC and quite often played out of position...how did he do..?

'08/'09 37 MPG/16.5 PPG/6.7 RPG/1.0 SPG

'09/'10 37 MPG/15.1 PPG/6.0 RPG/1.3 SPG

Career .445 FGP/.337 3PP/.773 FTP

young and athletic....he can run, shoot threes, sky, and block shots.....what's not to like..?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from red2004sox. Show red2004sox's posts

Just two different styles.  Paul is a crafty player and uses all the angles on the court.  He is a better pure shooter and he gets to the line.  He knows the offense better and he plays a little above average defense.

Green is more athletic and can get to the hole with greater easy and runs like a deer.  He can play multiple positions.

But PP is still a better player but for how long.....  We shall see?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Oh, I agree that Pierce is better at this point....I was just pointing out that I think Green has a huge ceiling and will eventually become a very good starter for the Celts....he is young and will only improve his game.....

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

I honestly think that if Green had the chance to play a full season after being traded here he would've been fully acclimated to the C's system.  That probably means he would've gotten a major FA offer that would've made him too expensive for Boston.  Too bad for the surgery, but things seem to have worked out well for him and he looks to be regaining his skills after a year off.   

Green was a good player in OKC.  OKC traded him because they thought they needed Perk and because he was going to cost a lot of $ in FA.  OKC had to pick and choose among their FAs, and Durant and Westbrook were more important pieces than a versatile SF who admittedly was the 3rd option.  

I liked his potential, but count me among those who were skeptical at the time about trading Perk.  Green is beginning to look like the player he was pre-surgery, and I think he's gonna be a big help to this team.  He is not better than Pierce (yet) but he will be a key piece in the rotation and will allow Doc to manage PP's minutes and let them play small ball at PF. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rajon-Hondo. Show Rajon-Hondo's posts

I don't know about better but I am glad he is playing with us for the next few years. He is really good and is still young enough to improve. The best thing about this team is that if any of our starters go down we have definately better fill ins than anytime in recent memory.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamezHill24. Show JamezHill24's posts

not neccesarily better but he needs a huge amount of minutes this season. I would continue to start Pierce but make sure Jeff Green is on the court for 30+ a night. Similar to how Doc used Big Baby his final season here.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

They both need to be good.  With more rest PP may play better and we know Green is going to better than in 2011. It looks very good we will see.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

The Truth is clutch

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"this is green's best stretch ever"

Right, in the preseason where no one is playing defense. 

We don't even know if Green can stay healthy. 

Or Pierce for that matter. 

It's possible Green could surpass Pierce in regular season performance, but Green has no postseason experience and he won't be given Pierce's playoff shots off of timeous. 

Green has a long way to go to come close to the career Pierce has had but yeah, a year from now he could be a largely better regular season player

Sections
Shortcuts