Is it good to be much less afraid of LA or bad that Miami looks so scary?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Is it good to be much less afraid of LA or bad that Miami looks so scary?

That #1 seed is SO important

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

Re: Is it good to be much less afraid of LA or bad that Miami looks so scary?

It is very disappointing to see Miami winning by such a big margin today.  The game is almost over and Miami is still winning by close to 20 points.  This is something that I never expected since I really wanted the Lakers to win today. 
    I really dislike Miami and don't want to see them win. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

I dislike the Lakers over the Heat, but wanted LA to win today. EVERY Celtic fan worth their salt should have been rooting for LA and from now on be rooting for ANY team that plays the Heat.

When it comes to who I dislike more I don't see how anyone could dislike 3 guys in their mid-20's being snotty little brats and wanting to construct a super-team over the arrogant Phil (who was handed the players needed to pass Red) the fakest of the fake KoME Bryant, brawler Ron Artest and Pau 'gift wrapped' Gasol the llama.

But LA will not have a better record than the C's this year unless we really fall apart (I feel we'll just get stronger). Meanwhile the Heat are a serious threat.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaileyPowe. Show BaileyPowe's posts

yeah, the heat are a serious threat. but i want to see how we negotiate five very winnable games leading up to hosting the spurs jan5. the Cs have a worrisome history of stumbling at this point of the season that predates and includes the current big3. i'm content to worry about miami - and certainly the lakers - later.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PierceIsTheTruth. Show PierceIsTheTruth's posts

we play miami twice near the end of the season. think we split the series with them? they are looking scary. but then again teh lakers looked dazed and confused out there.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Ok here we go...

Split w/ Miami, LA, SA and Utah (4-4) while getting revenge vs. Dallas, Toronto and Magic twice at home (4-0).

That leaves us with 23 road games

Say we go a modest 15-8

Then we have another 20 home games which we should really clamp down on. Hardest games are vs. like PHX, NOH, Bucks and NYK.

Say we go 17-3 in those

By now everyone is like 'oh ok that sounds like what will happen... perfect"

WRONG

That puts us at 62-20 for the year

I really think we'll need to be at 66-67 wins to hold off the Heat. So we beat them ONCE they will prob just lose 6-8 more times for sure. But that makes them 65-17.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

The OKC and Toronto losses hurt... Cavs on road night after game from our emotional home opener vs. Heat, when they were all out to prove they were not just LeBron.... i'll accept that loss

Dallas a top 5 team at home playing a better last 2 mins than us in a great back and forth battle.... almost always fine

Even Orlando being worse than us for 40 mins, but being so on fire the 1st and last 4 mins that we lose by 8 on the road w/ no Rondo... fine

But OKC w/ no Durant winning in Garden?? Toronto when we'd WON and the refs let Barbosa slap Ray's arm trying to foul and stop the clock... only to get a 'surprise' steal and gm winning FT's!!! F that. Even with no Rondo.

Orlando should have just stopped a 19 game streak... then we should be 37-3 going into LA Jan 30th if we had health.

But ah well... injuries have to be overcome asap

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdm894g. Show jdm894g's posts

Miami seems to have gotten there act together, but they havent played a good defensive team like the Celtics.  I think we need to have home court overall.  The Celtics need not worry about any team on the other side of the mississippi river.  Just get healthy and win the east.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Waynestarr. Show Waynestarr's posts

Miami's team defense reminds me of our own. They put a defensive clinic on the Lakers this evening. The Heat have caught their stride. Even Dampier and Ilgauskus played well. Definitely a team to be aware of.

Unlike others though, I was glad the Lakers lost since we did. I feel real good when the Lakers lose.

Cool

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from edcap99. Show edcap99's posts

We don't scare easy. We'll take all comers. I agree with Rondo that the Celts are the team to beat. Let the Lakers or the Heat do the worrying when they play us and not vice-versa. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

In Response to Re: Is it good to be much less afraid of LA or bad that Miami looks so scary?:
    [QUOTE] Miami coming to Boston with us having played 9 games to their 12 in the first rd. I'd say we take it in 7.
    Posted by rameakap[/QUOTE]

I don't think that home court will be very relevant in this series.  It will be all about negating the Miami team speed.  Achieve that and the Celts win.  Fail and Miami wins.  Home court will be a factor but not the primary one.

I do think that the Celts match up well.  But right now, I am very concerned about the bench productivity against them.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoraG1. Show NoraG1's posts

What I worry about is the bias the officials have toward LeQueen and Dwade. Anyone so much as breathes on them at times gets called for a foul. It is quite ridiculous. More then half of their success comes from this imo.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

In Response to Re: Is it good to be much less afraid of LA or bad that Miami looks so scary?:
    [QUOTE]What I worry about is the bias the officials have toward LeQueen and Dwade. Anyone so much as breathes on them at times gets called for a foul. It is quite ridiculous. More then half of their success comes from this imo.
    Posted by NoraG1[/QUOTE]

Maybe thats why they are second and third in the league in foul shots attempted.  Doesn't surprise me, I said that they would lead the league in foul shots before they every played a game.  That is what scares me is they shoot so many and we can barely get to the line.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]What I worry about is the bias the officials have toward LeQueen and Dwade. Anyone so much as breathes on them at times gets called for a foul. It is quite ridiculous. More then half of their success comes from this imo.
    Posted by NoraG1[/QUOTE]

I agree that the elite players get the benefit of calls from the officials.    Definitely can influence the outcome of the game, especially if it a close game. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

and agreed about the team speed factor for miami...wade and lebron are also elite defenders...if you cant stop the transition...you are done...they are hitting jumpers? done

i also think that orlando is alot more athletic with their trades...but im still not sure they are up to snuff against the C's and Heat...the bulls? id say a distant 4th...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

You obviously have to take away their speed, play mistake free ball, do all the little things to win, outcoach them, etc.

That doesn't do anything to address the obvious bias they will get from the refs and what an incredible boon to business it will be to have a more rested team waiting for Miami in Boston over the opposite scenario.

If this was the younger '08 Celtics and we didn't have an outcry against shady officiating and obvious agenda driven star calls, then I wouldn't care as much about the #1 seed.

but in this situation, I say it is paramount to our title hopes

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

Balance of power is shifting in both East and West, right before our eyes.  LA is not going to be the top seed out west; it's more likely going to be 2nd or 3rd when the time comes. 

But back East, Celtics are going to have to scrape and claw their way to that spot.  Without West and Perkins, this team is showing its weaknesses.  And frankly, flame all you want but Jermaine O'Neal is terrible.  He came into the season out of NBA shape, and is simply taking up a roster spot.  Can he help down the stretch?  Maybe. And the argument that he hasn't played enough games yet is weak.  He has looked as lost on a court as has Bradley.

But I hope the Celts retain the top spot in the east when the chips fall.   And Orlando isn't as good as the two games it's just played.  It's a great feel-good story for the fans, but they're not going to topple either Miami or Boston for the top two seeds.  Miami is playing the best ball in the NBA right now, and that's not a fluke.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]Balance of power is shifting in both East and West, right before our eyes.  LA is not going to be the top seed out west; it's more likely going to be 2nd or 3rd when the time comes.  But back East, Celtics are going to have to scrape and claw their way to that spot.  Without West and Perkins, this team is showing its weaknesses.  And frankly, flame all you want but Jermaine O'Neal is terrible.  He came into the season out of NBA shape, and is simply taking up a roster spot.  Can he help down the stretch?  Maybe. And the argument that he hasn't played enough games yet is weak.  He has looked as lost on a court as has Bradley. But I hope the Celts retain the top spot in the east when the chips fall.   And Orlando isn't as good as the two games it's just played.  It's a great feel-good story for the fans, but they're not going to topple either Miami or Boston for the top two seeds.  Miami is playing the best ball in the NBA right now, and that's not a fluke.
    Posted by soups[/QUOTE]

Rondo has his sights set on the CP3/NOH game New Years Eve. I always want to be cautious so if he comes back in limited mins vs. the T'Wolves 1/3 and then returns to 100% form vs. SA 1/5, I'm fine with that.

I see Perk returning for spot mins maybe vs Hou 1/10 at the earliest and Cha 1/14 at the latest. He needs a 1-2 game tune-up b/c I want to see him on the court vs. Howard 1/17 and Big Al, who he always plays well 1/21.

That gives him 8-9 games to get all warned up for the battles with LA 1/30, Dal 2/4. Orlando 2/6, LA 2/10 and Miami 2/13.

We really need to go like 14-2 over our next 16 games, with 11 of them at home and multiple players coming back from injury.

The hardest stretch of the year is January 27th to February 13th. Those 9 games have 5 on the road but just LA as a really hard road game.. we have LA, Orlando, Miami, Dallas at home. Gotta go 7-2 in those 9 games and sweep the home games vs. the elite to establish ourselves as the clear #1 team in the league.

If we enter the all-star game with a 44-9 record I will be very pleased and really hopeful that we get the #1 seed. At this point we'd be 3-0 vs. Miami and have the tiebreaker.

DWest should start to play sometime in late/Jan early Feb. After the all-star break we have a moderately hard west coast swing then a VERY easy schedule down the stretch with -knock on wood- full health.

Going 21-8 to end the year puts us at 65-17. I think that is what it will take to hold off Miami.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdm894g. Show jdm894g's posts

The best Scenario is this coming final seedings

1. Boston
    2. Miami
    3. Orlando
    4. Chicago/New York
    5. New York/Chicago
    6. Atlanta
    7. Indiana
    8. Milwaukee

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

The best seedings (realistically of course)

1. Celtics
    2. Heat
    3. Bulls
    4. Magic
    5. Knicks
    6. Hawks
    7. Bucks
    8. Pacers

The Bucks are a tough team. I'd see Bogut and Jennings ripping up the Heat and Maggette is a sturdy SF who can body LeBron. They'd win one game vs. them. Atlanta might, but they'd be swept easier than the Bucks.

I think Chicago is the scariest team besides Miami, but if these new Magic trades (and maybe 1 more they pull off for a bu to Howard) work out well I might change my mind by April. Either way, the 4/5 seeds are going to play an epic 1st rd and be exhausted for the 1 seed come rd 2. The 3 seed meanwhile will give the 2 seed a run for their money in rd 2.

Gotta get that homecourt. BAD

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

[QUOTE]You obviously have to take away their speed, play mistake free ball, do all the little things to win, outcoach them, etc. That doesn't do anything to address the obvious bias they will get from the refs and what an incredible boon to business it will be to have a more rested team waiting for Miami in Boston over the opposite scenario. If this was the younger '08 Celtics and we didn't have an outcry against shady officiating and obvious agenda driven star calls, then I wouldn't care as much about the #1 seed. but in this situation, I say it is paramount to our title hopes
    Posted by rameakap[/QUOTE]

I understand where you are coming from.  But just last year, the Celts completely bucked the trend.  Hard way to the finals.  Series of tough opponents.  As Doc says, "In the end you have to perform."  That is the bottom line.  After tracking Miami a bit, I feel that they will be ready to perform come playoffs.  So will the Celts.

Regarding calls, they are also a factor of the style of play.  Wade and LeBron drive to the hoop and initiate contact.  They get more calls.  Boston plays a passing game.  They will have to generate calls by going inside.

If the Celts and Heat meet, Paul and Ray will have a real challenge to match up with LeBron and Wade.  Fouls and minutes are my concern.  Miami's challenge will be Rondo.  That is why I am still giving Boston the edge, albeit a thin one.  Improve the 2-3 matchup and Boston has a real edge.

It will be a great series.  Something to look forward to.  It will be beautiful if Boston takes on the best Miami challenge and beats them.  That will make a real champion.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is it good to be much less afraid of LA or bad that Miami looks so scary? : I understand where you are coming from.  But just last year, the Celts completely bucked the trend.  Hard way to the finals.  Series of tough opponents.  As Doc says, "In the end you have to perform."  That is the bottom line.  After tracking Miami a bit, I feel that they will be ready to perform come playoffs.  So will the Celts. Regarding calls, they are also a factor of the style of play.  Wade and LeBron drive to the hoop and initiate contact.  They get more calls.  Boston plays a passing game.  They will have to generate calls by going inside. If the Celts and Heat meet, Paul and Ray will have a real challenge to match up with LeBron and Wade.  Fouls and minutes are my concern.  Miami's challenge will be Rondo.  That is why I am still giving Boston the edge, albeit a thin one.  Improve the 2-3 matchup and Boston has a real edge. It will be a great series.  Something to look forward to.  It will be beautiful if Boston takes on the best Miami challenge and beats them.  That will make a real champion.
    Posted by prakash[/QUOTE]
    agreed...but i wouldnt under estimate the play of chalmers recently for miami...and he has the defensive ability to give rondo fits

but this forth coming series will be decided by health and how much miami can run...if they cant...its gonna be tough to win for the heat...if they can...it will be near impossible for the celts to keep pace

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is it good to be much less afraid of LA or bad that Miami looks so scary? : I understand where you are coming from.  But just last year, the Celts completely bucked the trend.  Hard way to the finals.  Series of tough opponents.  As Doc says, "In the end you have to perform."  That is the bottom line.  After tracking Miami a bit, I feel that they will be ready to perform come playoffs.  So will the Celts. Regarding calls, they are also a factor of the style of play.  Wade and LeBron drive to the hoop and initiate contact.  They get more calls.  Boston plays a passing game.  They will have to generate calls by going inside. If the Celts and Heat meet, Paul and Ray will have a real challenge to match up with LeBron and Wade.  Fouls and minutes are my concern.  Miami's challenge will be Rondo.  That is why I am still giving Boston the edge, albeit a thin one.  Improve the 2-3 matchup and Boston has a real edge. It will be a great series.  Something to look forward to.  It will be beautiful if Boston takes on the best Miami challenge and beats them.  That will make a real champion.
    Posted by prakash[/QUOTE]

The team with homecourt is the one with the thin edge

We needed 6 to beat LeBron when he quit on his club, we were down 3-2 in that series before he quit. If he had Wade/Bosh and an intense motivation to win like he does now over Mo Williams, Jamison and an eye on his impending free agency we'd have lost in 5.

I understand our current club is better, but IMO we'll need homecourt and it will go all the way to a 7th game and that is the only way for us to come out of the East and that is all there is to it.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Clearly I am in the category of much more afraid of Miami than I am happy that LA is struggling.

but I guess if this team was destined to fall in a game 7 in Miami a good consolation prize would be LA not winning a title... better consolation prize would be Dallas beating the Heat.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from notrade. Show notrade's posts

Boston and Miami are so much better ,then anyone else in the NBA.  I predicted Miami to win the title in July. I think the refs will be just too much too overcome. 

Boston is better then I thought they would be,because  of Garnett being way better. Davis playing consisent off the bench. Robinson and Daniels playing well off the bench. Erden has played ,and played well.

Sections
Shortcuts