is it just me...?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BRADinLA. Show BRADinLA's posts

is it just me...?

Or are the Lakers looking really scary right now?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichBelgium. Show MichBelgium's posts

Re: is it just me...?

Scary? They've played these teams:

Minnesota
    Memphis
    Portland
    Toronto
    Sacramento
    Golden State
    Phoenix
    Houston

They didn't even play any possible title contender. Besides they've only played once 2 games in a row. And not to mention what easy games to come next week...

I would immediatly sign for a schedule like that ! 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lovetruth007. Show lovetruth007's posts

A few things Fakers do well and Cs don't. They close out quarters and win close games. They make open shots and get close calls. To beat any NBA teams with a 8-0 record is awesome. Not to mention their comeback style. Just the opposite to the Cs style. I would be more thrilled to see Cs win comeback games than taking early leads and hanging on for wins. Well, hang-on is tough and collapse happens.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

Portland are a decent team. So far I'm happy with our results. Wins are wins and it should give us some decent form to run into the season with. At the moment I'm happy.

Certainly does say something about the pre-season and what relevance it has when the games start for real.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichBelgium. Show MichBelgium's posts

In Response to Re: is it just me...?:
    [QUOTE]Portland are a decent team. So far I'm happy with our results. Wins are wins and it should give us some decent form to run into the season with. At the moment I'm happy. Certainly does say something about the pre-season and what relevance it has when the games start for real.
    Posted by RUWorthy[/QUOTE]
    I don't think they had OKC and the next day DAL ? But yes you are right portland is a decent team and they won it badly. I never said LA  was a bad team but they certainly have the schedule their way although for now. All truth about the preseason. We see the same effect in Playoffs - regular season.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Doesnt matter much how the Lakers are looking against a fairly weak schedule and so early in the season. How good did the C's look early last year?

I think we match up well against them, if healthy. Looking forward to that game

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2for4. Show 2for4's posts

8-0.  Doesn't 8 wins usually clinch a playoff spot in the NBA?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rman0909. Show rman0909's posts

Very true that Lakers are only playing weaker teams..but I hate that the last time they were 8-0 was in 1997-1998 when they won 3 championships in a row!

Lakers also have scrapers (M. Barnes, Odom) and right now they are a healthy team and the Celts are back on being an injury prone team like last year.

I do wish that the C's could have kept T. Allen cuz he was such an awesome defender and one of the best with the C's. 

Celts will match up with Lakes in size for sure and they do have the biggest (and oldest) players at center & the best starting 5 IMO (with Perk) but they do have a far tougher division and bigger challenge with Miami, Orlando, and Atlanta come playoff. As long as they are healthy, the have a shot at banner #18

Starters
    Garnett vs Gasol
    Pierce vs Artest
    Allen vs Bryant
    Rondo vs Fisher
    Perk vs Bynum

Bench
    S. O'neal, J.O'neal vs Ratliff
    BB vs Odom
    Robinson & West vs Blake
    Daniels vs Barnes

yeah..I am still hopeful of our chances

Lakers will cruise theirs playoffs easily. I know its so early in the season. after all last season C's were 23-4 on Christmas..and then 27-27 after that So still a loooong way to go. GO CELTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

If the Lakers will play only the Warriors, Suns, Kings, and Wolves for the whole season I think the Lakers will get more than 72 wins.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

[QUOTE]Scary? They've played these teams: Minnesota Memphis Portland Toronto Sacramento Golden State Phoenix Houston They didn't even play any possible title contender. Besides they've only played once 2 games in a row. And not to mention what easy games to come next week... I would immediatly sign for a schedule like that ! 
    Posted by MichBelgium[/QUOTE]

I agree...weak teams at home and not many back to back games. They look good but boy the schedule makers are giving them a nice cushy schedule to jump start them.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichBelgium. Show MichBelgium's posts

[QUOTE]If the Lakers will play only the Warriors, Suns, Kings, and Wolves for the whole season I think the Lakers will get more than 72 wins.
    Posted by P34[/QUOTE]
    Absolutely ... It's so Laker-fan-like to overreact at this moment. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jofc. Show jofc's posts

An 8 win streak is good at any time in the year, against any teams.  While LA hasn't played a lot of tough competition, it's still a good sign.  Keep in mind that most teams won't even string 8 consecutive wins together all year.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonsucks69. Show bostonsucks69's posts

You forgot Shannon Brown

Starters
    Garnett vs Gasol
    Pierce vs Artest
    Allen vs Bryant
    Rondo vs Fisher
    Perk vs Bynum

Bench
    S. O'neal, J.O'neal vs Ratliff
    BB vs Odom
    Robinson & West vs Blake & Brown
    Daniels vs Barnes

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Micksoxx. Show Micksoxx's posts

Yes, LA looks tough and the road to the chanpionship goes through them.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TeamUmbutu. Show TeamUmbutu's posts

The Celtics are short handed, and the Lakers have not been playing the Celtics, the Heat, or the Magic. I will make no judgements until the Lakers play against the best competition in the NBA.

The Thunder were not a factor for the short handed Celtics. While one game can only tell so much, the competition in the west does not look like it is up to eastern standards.

Before last year, KG always ate Gasol's lunch. KG is better than last year, and he will either neutralize Gasol, or eat his lunch again.

Let see how they play against good teams.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

Portland and Houston are both teams that I think can make the West playoffs they're not what I'd call bad teams at all. And I just don't know what to make of Phoenix this year.

The Bucks/Pistons back to back may be difficult, on the road and both teams could spring a surprise. The real big tests are in December and February with the massive road trips. 6 games in December (not counting the 'away' game Vs the Clippers) and 7 in February which lead into the All Star break. That February road trip is preceded by games against Boston, Houston and San Antonio, it'll be tough.

OKC and the Mavs is a hard back to back. But in their current state, Boston could have had OKC and Golden State as a back to back and the Warriors may have well beaten Boston, the Celtics are vulnerable on the 2nd game of a back to back. They'll need to win one of those things PLUS win the first game to change my opinion in regards to that, perhaps even do it consecutively.

Long season, barring injury February is the key month for the Lakers. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from binbones. Show binbones's posts

In Response to is it just me...?:
    [QUOTE]Or are the Lakers looking really scary right now?
    Posted by BRADinLA[/QUOTE]

IT IS JUST U ...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from walton. Show walton's posts

In Response to is it just me...?:
    [QUOTE]Or are the Lakers looking really scary right now?
    Posted by BRADinLA[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately the answer is "yes" Brad. Why?

1. Kobe might not be as good as he was at 27 but he is still very, very, good.

2. Gasol has turned into a great player. Certainly one of the top 7 or 8 players in the league.

3. Odom is playing out of his mind. What is going on with this guy? He was always a soft player and now he's getting 15 and 15 alot of nights. There are games where he's their best player.

4. Bynum isn't even playing yet and this kid still has a ++++ upside.

Hate to say this but the Lakers are very, very good. {One thing though. Kobe is "due" to get "ban-ged up." Don't believe in jinxing anyone but he's due to have a significant injury at some point. Law of averages.}

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from walton. Show walton's posts

[QUOTE]The Celtics are short handed, and the Lakers have not been playing the Celtics, the Heat, or the Magic. I will make no judgements until the Lakers play against the best competition in the NBA. The Thunder were not a factor for the short handed Celtics. While one game can only tell so much, the competition in the west does not look like it is up to eastern standards. Before last year, KG always ate Gasol's lunch. KG is better than last year, and he will either neutralize Gasol, or eat his lunch again. Let see how they play against good teams.
    Posted by TeamUmbutu[/QUOTE]

What are you smoking? Top to bottom the West is still significantly better than the East. {Washington, New Jersey, Indiana, Cleveland, Toronto,.........want me to go on?}

Garnett is NOT going to "eat Gasol's lunch." Isn't going to happen. Gasol is a much better player now {stronger and more confident} than he was when Boston last won the title and even if Garnett is better this year he is not as good as he was then. If Garnett should play Gasol "even" that would be a bonus for Boston and to tell you the truth I think Gasol is better than Kevin now even if Kevin is playing well.......................it is important to be "realistic" in life my friend. Try to be objective.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TeamUmbutu. Show TeamUmbutu's posts

Walton as usual, your glass is half empty.

Smoken?

Teams can only be judged against the best not mid level teams.

Most pundits have the Lakers, the Celtics, the Heat and the Magic as the top teams with the Thunder and the Spurs as semi-contenders in the west. This is not 2009,  or a few years ago. From top to bottom, the west is better on average, however, the Lakers have not played the best competition, which are the teams that I have mentioned.

Objective?

KG always ate Gasol's lunch until last year. Head to head with the Grizzlies and the Lakers. Since an improved KG has not played Gasol this year, it is not objective to draw any conclusion other than he KG will be somewhat better than last year when they played. I have no idea whether or not he will, but he always has in the past. In the finals KG, played Gasol even, except when rebounding. KG refused to jump for rebounds in the finals. That is no longer true. He is now jumping with confidence, even in traffic. (Ref Mavericks game).

The only reason Gasol's reputation is where it is at now is because of the job that he did on an injured KG in the finals. Gasol is slightly heavier but much slower.

We will not see who has the upper hand until they play the Lakers, however,
    I like KG's chances.

Since you have objected to the style of this team since the arrival of KG, I am not surprised by your comments.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUMcHale. Show RUMcHale's posts

Any team with Blake and Barnes on the bench must be good. Even better if you have championship swagger. Of course there's always the P34 attitude, everyone is trash except Boston. Ugh!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

[QUOTE]Any team with Blake and Barnes on the bench must be good. Even better if you have championship swagger. Of course there's always the P34 attitude, everyone is trash except Boston. Ugh!
    Posted by RUMcHale[/QUOTE]

I never said the Lakers are trash. I just don't approve of Kobe letting his Black Mamba assault women. And pedoPhil LA is not cool. You really think Jeanie Buss would agree to have a relationship with an ordinary 65-year old? SHE DID IT FOR THE TEAM, NOT FOR LOVE.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Give-in-to-it. Show Give-in-to-it's posts

[QUOTE]SHE DID IT FOR THE TEAM, NOT FOR LOVE.
    Posted by P34[/QUOTE]

That is an uninformed opinion based on your imagination. How could you possibly know anything about this?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Qdaddy. Show Qdaddy's posts

[QUOTE]The Celtics are short handed, and the Lakers have not been playing the Celtics, the Heat, or the Magic. I will make no judgements until the Lakers play against the best competition in the NBA. The Thunder were not a factor for the short handed Celtics. While one game can only tell so much, the competition in the west does not look like it is up to eastern standards. Before last year, KG always ate Gasol's lunch. KG is better than last year, and he will either neutralize Gasol, or eat his lunch again. Let see how they play against good teams.
    Posted by TeamUmbutu[/QUOTE]

Really?! Ask the Heat and Orlando what they think about the west. Utah beat them both (Orlando was a back-to-back) and they're probably about the 6th best team out west.

KG's best days, like Shaq, are behind him. Gasol RIGHT NOW, is considered the best "big man" in the league, and that includes Dwight Howard. Gasol is a more complete player and he'll continue to "school" KG.

When Andrew Bynum gets back, the Lakers will be a juggernaut. Kobe is just cruising right now. The Lakers are the most complete and deep team in the NBA. Meanwhile, the C's are nursing 3 of their 4 big men. I really don't care who wins the East, but I will say it's a WHOLE LOT SWEETER beating the C's for the NBA title. So, good luck to your team and if they get to the finals, the Lakers will roll them one more time.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Look the Lakers have had a powder puff schedule.  So those who defend their play sound silly.  To those who think the Lakers are not one of the top two or three teams then you are more nuts. But to act like the Lakers have proven something to start off this season is the most ridiculous thing of all. They have had a shockingly easy first eight games. Traveling little and playing just terrible teams. They will be good again but all Laker fans need to know you are now lucky to be in the West where play amongst the top teams in the West is laughable when compared to the Eastern Division.  The Lakers play the comatose Nuggets Thursday and then of course they have not even played the Clippers where they get three additional home games every year at Staples. They get more calls and more privileges than any other team in the NBA.  Then again when they lose to the Celtics next June it will be oh so sweet to see.

Sections
Shortcuts