Is it too soon for a Bass for Asik trade?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

Is it too soon for a Bass for Asik trade?

This:

HOU: Bass, Lee, 2014 Nets 1st pick

BOS: Asik

Is more than fair. Ideally, I'd like to give the Clippers 2015 pick. Asik and Fav could play together during stretches and one of them can "anchor" the defense throughout the entire game. With Bass out, this opens the starting lineup for Sullinger to shine. KO comes off the bench playing 15mpg. Hump remains sidelined for junk time.

The best part is, Asik is not an offensive star, so this move in itself would not make the Celtics a better team (record-wise). What it does is begin to shore up our defense. I would be very content with a losing record, if somehow we had an above average defense. Scoring came come via Jabari Parker in the draft.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from sinus007. Show sinus007's posts

Re: Is it too soon for a Bass for Asik trade?

R9R,

I don't think the salaries will work on this trade:

Asik - 8.734M  Bass+Lee - 11.675M

The difference > 125%.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

AK

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

In response to sinus007's comment:

R9R,

I don't think the salaries will work on this trade:

Asik - 8.734M  Bass+Lee - 11.675M

The difference > 125%.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

AK

God NBA Trade Machine says it works: http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=nwatcpy

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

Honestly, Asik aside, the best part of this trade would be:

A. It makes us immediately worse (Bass is one of our highest PER players right now and scorers at 13ppg 6rpg 20+ PER)

B. It removes some cloggage at the 2 & 4 spots. Opens room for Sully/KO at the PF. Opens room for Brooks.

C. Also opens up a roster spot while saving us cap money. A roster spot that could be used by that released Sun's/WAS PG.

D. (Had to toss this at the bottom) It allows a much overlooked but hardworking Brandon Bass to rejoin a championship caliber team in search for a ring. Bass has really stepped up his game in the playoffs the last couple of years and deserves more respect and a chance to win. He would very much help a Rockets starting lineup by contributing on both ends of the floor.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

sounds good to me.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from sinus007. Show sinus007's posts

R9R,

If the ESPN trade machine is right it'd a very good trade for Celtics.

I don't know if Hou would benefit from the trade...

AK

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

Well the question is what we'd need to give up to make the trade work.

Bass + Lee is a no-brainer

Bass + Lee + Nets 2014 pick is fair

Bass + Lee + Clippers 2013 pick is easier to swallow

Swap Lee for Crawford/Brooks and it becomes more in the Rockets favor.

but what if it takes:

Bass + Olynyk

Bass + Fav

Would you give up Olynyk or Favarani at this point to get Asik? By bet is that you would not.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

are we trying to win or lose?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from sinus007. Show sinus007's posts

Actually, there's another reason this trade won't work. If Yahoo Sports is correct. Hou already has 15 players on its roster.

But you're correct Re: KO and Vitor.

AK

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MitchUnderpants. Show MitchUnderpants's posts

Bass for Asik makes us marginally better.  But do you think the front office wants to be marginally better?  We're one of the worst teams in the league.

If a player like Marshall falls into our lap, let's take him.  If the Rockets let Asik go, I'll personally pack up Brandon Bass's stuff and drop him off at the bus station.  Just don't start throwing away draft picks- keep in mind what we traded away for them.

If all goes well this season: KO, Fave, Green, Sullinger all grow up together.  Rondo returns healthy.  The C's lose enough games to draft a franchise player in June.  We save salary space and bring in a couple of good vets this summer.  And we say goodbye to waiver fodder Crawford, Lee, Humphries, Wallace and BASS.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

In response to billge's comment:

are we trying to win or lose?

Its not about winning or losing, its about getting better as a team.

Asik would make this team better in the long term, moreso than having Bass & Lee.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

agreed

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

In response to MitchUnderpants' comment:

Bass for Asik makes us marginally better.  But do you think the front office wants to be marginally better?  We're one of the worst teams in the league.

If a player like Marshall falls into our lap, let's take him.  If the Rockets let Asik go, I'll personally pack up Brandon Bass's stuff and drop him off at the bus station.  Just don't start throwing away draft picks- keep in mind what we traded away for them.

If all goes well this season: KO, Fave, Green, Sullinger all grow up together.  Rondo returns healthy.  The C's lose enough games to draft a franchise player in June.  We save salary space and bring in a couple of good vets this summer.  And we say goodbye to waiver fodder Crawford, Lee, Humphries, Wallace and BASS.

I sort of agree ... but I think you overvalue that late 1st round draft pick. Asik is more valuable. He is already one of the best defenders in the league and is Rondo's age. The last 20's pick *could* have value, but it more likely will be another JJJ. Asik is worth more.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

retain players who can contribute on a good team, within a reasoable financial frame, and then bring in maybe 2 or  3 difference makers through draft and free agency in the off season a la Red Sox

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

retain players who can contribute on a good team, within a reasoable financial frame, and then bring in maybe 2 or  3 difference makers through draft and free agency in the off season a la Red Sox

Ha!

Its not that easy. Red Sox have (almost) bottomless pockets. The Celtics are limited by stringent salary cap rules. 

Rondo (12M), Wallace (9M), Green (8M), Bass (6M), Lee (5M), Avery (4-8M),

That right there is 44-48M

Fav, Sully, KO each 2M

Even without Hump, Bogans, Crawford, Brooks and Pressey we don't have much cap space to sign ONE major free agent, forget 2-3

This is why we need to build via trade. We have too many (good) role players. We need to trade two and a pick to get one legit starter back.

Even if Asik isn't the longterm answer, Asik on an expiring deal could be a nice trade chip for us this summer. For example, Celtics could include Asik in a trade for Aldridge this summer. 

Point is, I like having Asik, Fav, Sully and KO as our front-court pieces. That alone opens up a ton of options this summer

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MitchUnderpants. Show MitchUnderpants's posts

Billge, Bilge, Bige, Big- This isn't baseball.  And difference makers aren't likely to show up on Brad Stevens door step in July.  Those difference makers are looking for contenders.

I say keep running up the score for the first 3 quarters, sans Milwaukee, and then relax and absorb another loss during the 4th.  It's great for morale, player confidence, and draft picks.  Sprint for the endzone and lay down on the 1-yard line.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

In response to MitchUnderpants' comment:

Billge, Bilge, Bige, Big- This isn't baseball.  And difference makers aren't likely to show up on Brad Stevens door step in July.  Those difference makers are looking for contenders.

I say keep running up the score for the first 3 quarters, sans Milwaukee, and then relax and absorb another loss during the 4th.  It's great for morale, player confidence, and draft picks.  Sprint for the endzone and lay down on the 1-yard line.  

Mitch - I'm curious what the plan is if we do win the lottery. Say we get a top 3 pick ... Wiggins, Parker, Randle ... all three are franchise changing players, but can this team succeed with 3 SFs?

I wonder if Danny can sneak in a Wallace trade next summer when LeBron dissapoints a few franchises by staying in Miami.

Otherwise, if Wallace proves to be unmovable, then Green may have to go. Maybe we can get a decent draft pick for the bloke, but do you take that chance prior to the draft? I honestly can't think of one mediocre team that could really use him, other than the Bucks, maybe. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

thats why I want to see Bass Lee , Bogans, Bradley , Green  Wallace ( at the right time, although I don't like the way things are starting out with him) maybe Hump and one of Brooks or Crawford gone in trades  And not three free agents, three guys as difference makers between draft and free agency. That is presuming excellent draft position and excellent picks

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

Another way to get Marshall would be this:

Rondo to HOU

Crawford to DET

Cut Pressey

Sign Marshall

Lin and KCP to BOS

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Actually with Asik, and our young front court guys, we would be in great shape, then need to work on small forward , and back court especially dependin on what happens with Rondo.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

In response to hedleylamarr's comment:

Rondo to HOU

Crawford to DET

Cut Pressey

Sign Marshall

Lin and KCP to BOS

hahaha are you mocking me? fair enough

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

In response to R9R's comment:

In response to hedleylamarr's comment:

Rondo to HOU

Crawford to DET

Cut Pressey

Sign Marshall

Lin and KCP to BOS

hahaha are you mocking me? fair enough

Nope, not mocking anyone.........just think they will trade Rondo this year.....you don't, and that's fine!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

If u could get Asik, big men would be set with Sullinger, Oly , Fav , maybe Hump . If Rondo stays , and u also have a Marshall , Pressey situation and 1 of our syoung shootin guards, maybe Brooks.  Then draft or free agency agency you are looking for an outstandig shooting guard and the same for small forward

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

I should add, all other to be traded if possible

Sections
Shortcuts