Is Rondo A Franchise Player?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

Re: Is Rondo A Franchise Player?

I am on the trade Rondo bandwagon, if it will improve the team.........I will also root for him if he stays.  I root for the team always!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from LakerDynasty. Show LakerDynasty's posts

In response to Red-16Russ-11's comment:

I am on the trade Rondo bandwagon, if it will improve the team.........I will also root for him if he stays.  I root for the team always!

Someone on this site was wanting to trade Rondo for a bag of beans and then later on for Gasol.  If we can keep Howard I think we could work a deal  Gasol for Rondo.  See we have always seen Rondo for what he is,  we didn't flip flop on him like one poster for the Celtics did.  We can make a deal.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

In response to LakerDynasty's comment:

Someone on this site was wanting to trade Rondo for a bag of beans and then later on for Gasol.  If we can keep Howard I think we could work a deal  Gasol for Rondo.  See we have always seen Rondo for what he is,  we didn't flip flop on him like one poster for the Celtics did.  We can make a deal.

Salaries don't match, and we don't trade with the lakers

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from LakerDynasty. Show LakerDynasty's posts

Know your team better Russ.

August 6, 2004: The Los Angeles Lakers traded Rick FoxGary Payton and a 2006 1st round draft pick (Rajon Rondo) to the Boston Celtics for Chucky AtkinsJumaine Jones and Chris Mihm.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

August 6, 2004: The Los Angeles Lakers traded Rick FoxGary Payton and a 2006 1st round draft pick (Rajon Rondo) to the Boston Celtics for Chucky AtkinsJumaine Jones and Chris Mihm.

That is the ONLY time it ever happened, and it was a disaster for our team..........that was Pitino.  Yes, I knew that.........I said we don't trade with the lakers...........would "anymore" cover it??

Fox never played  - it was a salary trade

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

Interesting!! Hmmmm

Celtics Acquire Draft Rights to Rajon Rondo and Brian Grant Team trades future first round pick obtained from Cleveland Cavaliers to the Phoenix Suns

BOSTON - The Boston Celtics acquired University of Kentucky guard Rajon Rondo and veteran forward Brian Grant from the Phoenix Suns. In return, the Suns will acquire a future first round pick the Celtics acquired from the Cleveland Cavaliers in exchange for swingman Jiri Welsch.

Rondo finished his collegiate career with Kentucky by being named to the Second Team All-SEC as a sophomore by league coaches. He started 62 of 68 career games for the Wildcats, and in his sophomore season led the SEC in assists, averaging 4.9 apg and ranked second in steals (2.0 spg), while averaging 11.2 ppg and a team-high 6.1 rpg. He scored in double figures 17 times, and registered five games with 10 or more rebounds. Rondo was a member of the 2005 USA Men's U-21 World Championship Team which captured a gold medal at the Global Games held in Dallas, and finished fifth at the FIBA World Championships in Argentina. Rondo's 27 steals set a FIBA World Championships competition record. He was a social work major at the University of Kentucky.

Brian Grant played his 12th season this year, appearing in 21 games for Phoenix, starting two. He averaged 2.9 ppg and 2.7 rpg in 11.8 mpg. In 1998-99, Grant was the recipient of the J. Walter Kennedy Citizenship Award in recognition of his outstanding community service and charitable work.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to puddinpuddin's comment:

Isn't time to admit you we're wrong?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrBoogiebone. Show DrBoogiebone's posts

That's a tough one.

I don't think he is. But I love him in a C's uniform. Kid has heart, talent, and is the most creative player in this league. If we could only get fair play in this league instead of watching Stern promote his stars, then you might could argue that he is a franchise player. But I don't think we'll ever see those days again.

Chemistry is a funny thing that at times, noone can explain. Sometimes, it just works. Who had Bird as being a brakeout player that would lift the entire sport? Probably noone. Most everyone on this board had the C's going to the finals this year. Not even close (even if healthy). My point is, we don't know anything. We only make our analogies based on probabilities.

So what I'm saying is, Rondo could be a franchise player. But not in todays league. Or, maybe.... Sure he has his weaknesses, but who doesn't. But to say he's not clutch?!?!?! Go back to last years Miami series, to the game that PP fouled out of. Rondo was ENTIRELY clutch. He won that game. Alot of people say he was the best player in that series. It's not all about scoring/points. I like having him as a Celtic. He can be chippie and a pain in the butt, but noone wants to win more then Rondo. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

In response to Mark from Ct's comment:

Attracting offensive-minded free agents this summer will be much easier if Rondo is still with Boston. 

why is that?  so they can come put a green shirt on and only be handed the ball when the shot clock is below 5 and the coaches are screaming "SHOOT, SHOOT, SHOOT!!!" ???

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from LakerDynasty. Show LakerDynasty's posts

That is the ONLY time it ever happened, and it was a disaster for our team..........that was Pitino.  Yes, I knew that.........I said we don't trade with the lakers...........would "anymore" cover it??

Fox never played  - it was a salary trade

What do you mean Fox never played?  Getting Rondo was a disaster?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

Rondo is not a franchise player.  But in today's game, who is?  Is Derrick Rose?  Is Deron Williams.  Heck, is Chris Paul a franchise player?  Rondo, however, IS an elite player.  Every elite player needs at least two other "elite-level" players to be successful.

Rondo is unquestioned the best facilitator in the NBA.  When Ray, KG and PP (elite players) were more in their primes, it was great to see a young Rondo facilitating the offense getting these guys the ball in spots where they could do their thing.  It was great team basketball quarterbacked by Rondo.  Even Chris Paul made note of that in an envious way!

Now that Rondo has NOBODY capable of being that type of player, we do find him pouding the ball more often than we'd like.  However, he STILL was the only player to average double-figure assists.  And he did that with inconsistent and/or mediocre offensive players like Green (was horrible before Rondo got injured), Bass, Lee, Terry, KG (this season), etc.  Had Rondo played in Miami, Miami might have won 72 games.  Had he played in LA, the Lakers would be alot closer to competing for a title.

For a period of seven games after Rondo got injured, teams did not know how to defend our ball movement and cutting offense.  Once they "had tape", we became "offensively challenged".  If Ainge can get true scorers around Rondo again, guys with the ability and mindset to score, Rondo can again be a true leader of the Celtics.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

In response to Petey62's comment:

Rondo is not a franchise player.  But in today's game, who is?  Is Derrick Rose?  Is Deron Williams.  Heck, is Chris Paul a franchise player?  Rondo, however, IS an elite player.  Every elite player needs at least two other "elite-level" players to be successful.

Rondo is unquestioned the best facilitator in the NBA.  When Ray, KG and PP (elite players) were more in their primes, it was great to see a young Rondo facilitating the offense getting these guys the ball in spots where they could do their thing.  It was great team basketball quarterbacked by Rondo.  Even Chris Paul made note of that in an envious way!

Now that Rondo has NOBODY capable of being that type of player, we do find him pouding the ball more often than we'd like.  However, he STILL was the only player to average double-figure assists.  And he did that with inconsistent and/or mediocre offensive players like Green (was horrible before Rondo got injured), Bass, Lee, Terry, KG (this season), etc.  Had Rondo played in Miami, Miami might have won 72 games.  Had he played in LA, the Lakers would be alot closer to competing for a title.

For a period of seven games after Rondo got injured, teams did not know how to defend our ball movement and cutting offense.  Once they "had tape", we became "offensively challenged".  If Ainge can get true scorers around Rondo again, guys with the ability and mindset to score, Rondo can again be a true leader of the Celtics.

+1.  Completely agree Petey.

Sections
Shortcuts