Is Rondo a good fit for this offense - You decide?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

Is Rondo a good fit for this offense - You decide?

Is Rondo a good fit for this offense - you decide? The read and react offense does not require a PG to dominate the ball. 

Read & React Layer 1: Pass & Cut Excerpt - YouTube

► 6:01► 6:01
    www.youtube.com/watch?v...

YouTube May 12, 2011 - Uploaded by Better Basketball http://betterbasketball.com/the-read-react-offense/ - Why Aren't More Coaches Interested in Layer 1 of the ..

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

Re: Is Rondo a good fit for this offense - You decide?

Celtics Blog:

"The sets they run are more read-and-react type things than the normal execution of go from point A to B and then go on with this. He's got terminology of actions. But he's not going to play the two-man game or three-man game to see what the defense is going to give him. Instead he'll run an action and leave it to his players to read the defense. "That has made it difficult to get a handle on what he's doing, because he might get three different things on three possessions all on the same play call. What they ran the first time with that terminology isn't going to be the same thing they run the second time he makes that call.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheNewGKDynasty. Show TheNewGKDynasty's posts

This has got to be Fungus or what ever name he is using these days after being banned a few times. It can't be that two people are always thinking alike. It could be that one is a fan of the other. If that's the case we know who the fan is and who's his leader...

http://images.t-nation.com/forum_images/c/6/c6249_ORIG-jack_nicholson_nodding.gif

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

In response to TheNewGKDynasty's comment:

This has got to be Fungus or what ever name he is using these days after being banned a few times. It can't be that two people are always thinking alike. It could be that one is a fan of the other. If that's the case we know who the fan is and who's his leader...

GK - I can tell by the content of your post that the opium selection must be improving under which ever rock you are posting from. 

Once again - no productive and or interesting comment related to the thread.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

In response to BCSP's comment:

Celtics Blog:

"The sets they run are more read-and-react type things than the normal execution of go from point A to B and then go on with this. He's got terminology of actions. But he's not going to play the two-man game or three-man game to see what the defense is going to give him. Instead he'll run an action and leave it to his players to read the defense. "That has made it difficult to get a handle on what he's doing, because he might get three different things on three possessions all on the same play call. What they ran the first time with that terminology isn't going to be the same thing they run the second time he makes that call.

Spurs run a similar thing and it works pretty well for Parker. I think in all honesty, we won't know until late in the year, maybe even next year how Rondo is doing in the new offense with him recovering from injury and all. If you look at D-Rosefor comparison he was really struggling when he came back.  

I think he'll thrive though. Rondo is one of the smartes players in the league. 

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

In response to Fiercy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to jtkl's comment:

[QUOTE]

Spurs run a similar thing and it works pretty well for Parker. I think in all honesty, we won't know until late in the year, maybe even next year how Rondo is doing in the new offense with him recovering from injury and all. If you look at D-Rosefor comparison he was really struggling when he came back.  

[/QUOTE]

The difference is Tony Parker will make you pay if you leave him open at the 3-point line.

If Rondo is to be effective in Brad Stevens' system, he has to become a 3-point shooter.

There's just no way around it.

[/QUOTE]

+1 there is no place for a PG that pounds the ball for a large % of the 24 second clock in this offense! 

Not a knock on Rondo - BUT - it is true! 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

He is not a good fit for this offense. I copy & paste the following I posted elsewhere. I was as anxious as any Celtic fan to see Rondo return to the same performance level he had prior to his injury but, alas, I don’t see our team improving and it maybe would deteriorate more not that this seems possible.  A Point Guard is like a Quarterback who directs the offense with assists instigating fast breaks and initiating sets. Also he creates scoring opportunities for himself from the outside and also attacks the basket. However, he is not a prolific scorer from the outside like Paul, West, Rose(when healthy) but can drive to the basket as well as any of them. But a couple of years ago he’d set up the 3 pt shooting Ray Allen & Paul Pierce and then PP last year. Also, he’d pass to Garnett anywhere 10-15 ft out and in the post.

Ok, I like Sully but he’s not a Center. I like Humphries too and Oly is unproven so these 3 are his post targets.  Green & Bass & Wallace(don't like him as worst of the 3), are his forwards and they are inconsistent and I don’t even think they'd be good 6th men on teams with more stars.

Rondo would be more effective on another team with a good Center and above average Forwards. We could keep him but I'd let him go now for a straight up for Bledsoe & maybe a pick if they'd bite or straight up for Kevin Love or Omer Asik & keep Pressey & Bayless to play with Bradley as Guards until we drafted a Guard & hope we can unload some of our trash & pick up 1-2 quality players keeping  A. Bradley, Sully, Hump and Oly(see if he develops as we did with Fav Melo who did not). Then all the other players would be ones from our draft picks & in 2-3 years we could contend. And college minded Stevens should work well with a bunch of young guys.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdm894g. Show jdm894g's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

if they would ban IPs that would be a step in the right direction.  I never understood the person with multiple accounts on message boards.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdm894g. Show jdm894g's posts

[QUOTE]

In 4 games Rondo has played for the Celts this season, he has not had 1 game where he had 10 assists.

[/QUOTE]

Really?  In 20-25 minutes/gm he is supposed to get 10 assists?  You have some high expectations...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The difference is Tony Parker will make you pay if you leave him open at the 3-point line.

If Rondo is to be effective in Brad Stevens' system, he has to become a 3-point shooter.

There's just no way around it.

[/QUOTE]

Parker is interesting though. Mostly he has been a decent three point chooter but he has had 4-5 years where he chot less than 30% from the Arc.  in Fact in 2011 he chot 23% from Three. 

Rondo doesn't need to be great only decent. And the fact he has improved his midrange jumper so much makes me think he can from the three as well. 

Good article from Goldsberry on Rondo.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/courtvision-everything-you-think-you-know-about-rondos-shooting-is-wrong/

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

I love Rondo, and I hope we keep him.  That having been said, it that is the plan, Danny needs to get him some elite scorers.  If he has to take the lastshot we will lose.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

In response to mossad-did-911's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Parker is interesting though. Mostly he has been a decent three point chooter but he has had 4-5 years where he chot less than 30% from the Arc.  in Fact in 2011 he chot 23% from Three. 

Rondo doesn't need to be great only decent. And the fact he has improved his midrange jumper so much makes me think he can from the three as well. 

Good article from Goldsberry on Rondo.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/courtvision-everything-you-think-you-know-about-rondos-shooting-is-wrong/

[/QUOTE]

Yes, Rondo's perimeter shooting has improved.

But his 3-pointer has not.

The last 4 seasons, Rondo's highest 3pt % is only 24%.

Agree that Rondo only needs to be a decent 3pt chooter.

But right now he's only shooting 16.7% from beyond the arc.

Rondo is best suited if he's surrounded by great players.

If Rondo is the best player on the team then the team will just be mediocre.

[/QUOTE]

Rondo has been Bostons best player for at least the last 2 years.

[/QUOTE]

Agsin no knock on Rondo - BUT - this offense basically makes everyone a s***ter and everyone a PG! It is not a good fit for a classic PG that likes to pound the ball well into the s**t clock, each possession! 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

In response to hedleylamarr's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I love Rondo, and I hope we keep him.  That having been said, it that is the plan, Danny needs to get him some elite scorers.  If he has to take the lastshot we will lose.

[/QUOTE]

AND Rondo can not dominate the ball during offensive possessions! Different offense - either Rondo changes or the Cs need a change in personnel. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

In response to jdm894g's comment:

[QUOTE]

if they would ban IPs that would be a step in the right direction.  I never understood the person with multiple accounts on message boards.

[/QUOTE]

OR - if they would ban idiots (GK) with conspiracy theories, that would solve the problem as well! 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

In response to mellymel1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Until we know if Rondo has a real set of legs under him then we won't know...he can't s-hoot and this is established NBA FACT...if he hasn't been able to come up with his "s hot" by this point he just plain won't...forgettaboutit...that being factual, he has to return to the whirling two legged dervish he's always been prior to his injury or not only is he not worth having around he's not worth any more $$$ than he's currently getting and we'll get his real worth for him in any deal we make....which is not very much at all...

[/QUOTE]

+ 1 well stated - unless Rondo has reinvented himself as a jump s***ter, "forgetaboutit"

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

In response to hedleylamarr's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Stevens will have to change the type of offense he runs as well! 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

Interesting article from several months ago! 

BRAD STEVENS SAYS HE’LL CONSTRUCT CELTICS OFFENSE AROUND RAJON RONDO
    Posted by Jon Martin on 02 Oct 2013 / 1 Comment

Though no official return date has been issued for star point guard, former University of Kentucky Wildcat, and sixth-sense assist man Rajon Rondo, those in the basketball world are all curious as to how Rondo will be highlighted in Brad Stevens offense once he finally returns to the court.

Stevens is well-known as being a schematic wizard while coaching Butler to two consecutive NCAA title games. That being said, his offensive sets, while very efficient, were primarily stationed in the half-court—where the focus was often placed on s**t clock chewing. This  directs many basketball fans toward one obvious question, “Where does Rajon Rondo fit in Stevens’ offense with the Celtics?”

Some fans are presuming Stevens will try to craft up some complex offensive sets—which would assume Rondo would have to adjust his game to play within them. Other fans are guessing that Stevens will be “smart” enough to cater his offense to Rondo’s incredibly unique and diverse skill set.

Well, straight from the coach’s mouth, here’s your pre-season answer to this all-important question. When asked how Rajon will fit into his offense when he returns from his injury, Stevens was quick to  the focus from himself, “He doesn’t need to fit to how I’ve coached in the past. I need to fit to him.”

So with that, we have our early answer to this NBA debate topic. Long live the unilateral playmaking ability of Rajon Rondo. We all hope to see you back on the court soon #9.

@Jonmartinkhb 

Sections
Shortcuts