Is Rondo coming back?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from celticsfanmx. Show celticsfanmx's posts

Is Rondo coming back?

Yes, it looks like he could be back to the US. And, if so, I hope he starts practicing his FT harder than ever.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from celticsfanmx. Show celticsfanmx's posts

Re: Rondo's comeback?

Also check this comment by coach K, right where it hurts the most!

"It's not so much what Rajon has to show, it's what our team needs. We've found a good lineup, and the international game is so different from the NBA game, you can ask any of these guys," Krzyzewski said. "Part of it is to make sure that we try not to have two non-shooters out on the court, and there's the physicality, too.

"Derrick right now being with Chauncey is a good [combination], and Stephen, he provides a different thing, because if they are going under [screens] and they keep going under on him, then he has a 3. So it forces another team to change the way they defend our team. So it's things like that, and how we feel strategy-wise what'll be best for the team."

And there's even more, holy maholy!

Rondo played poorly (1 of 4, two points, one assist, four turnovers) in the Americans' game against Lithuania on Saturday in which they failed to establish a fast pace and scored just seven points in the first quarter. Rondo and Tyson Chandler were replaced by Rose and Odom in the starting five the following night against Spain.

Rondo's knack for rebounding works in his favor, but his inability to consistently hit jump shots and free throws -- he was 5 of 19 (26 percent) in the NBA Finals -- are two of the factors working against him.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from binbones. Show binbones's posts

Re: Is Rondo coming back?

I hope rondo gets cut bcause he needs an "ego" check big time...

he needs to be shooting jumpers & foul shots all damn summer...

teams next year would be damn fools to guard rondo outside...

teams  should force rondo to shoot 20 to 30 shots...

it's "broke & needs fixing"...until rondo fixes his poor shooting...

teams are not going to guard him as is being done in EUROPE!!!

COACH K , TEACH RONDO A PAINFUL LESSON...CUT HIS ....AAAZZZZ...

BEAT L. A. ...BEAT L. A. ...BEAT L. A. .....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

All of the sudden , young Rondo doesn't have 3 HOFers covering for him and making him look good.

Surprise, surprise! Who da thunk it?

Reality check!!!!

Pud

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from paulliu. Show paulliu's posts

True, no KG, Pierce or RA but  team USA does have some pretty fair talent, no?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from celticsfanmx. Show celticsfanmx's posts

In Response to Re: Is Rondo coming back?:
    [QUOTE]True, no KG, Pierce or RA but  team USA does have some pretty fair talent, no?
    Posted by paulliu[/QUOTE]

Yes, but they do have options to replace him with if he doesn't perform the way they need him to. If he doesn't shoot well, doesn't get the FTs, then there's no reason for him to be there. The Celtics have no option but using him because we don't have another alternative besides Robinson. But at this pace probably even Robinson will see more minutes than he did last season.

Sad but true. Hope he learns his lesson if he's sent back home.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaktug. Show kaktug's posts

hard to imagine the celtics as currently constituted being able to run with team USA. it'd be a pretty close series IMO.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from KB24RULZ. Show KB24RULZ's posts

Rondo = Brick!

Told ya.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

I think it's a nice, reality check that Rondo sorely needs.  I watched the game against Lithuania and he was horrid.  He tried a behind the back dribble in traffic and completely lost the ball.  He went under the basket and double-dribbled.  He completely fell down on another play.

Funny thing -- I found myself screaming at him for the dumb, hot-dogging mistakes just like I did sometimes during the regular season.  Instead of playing solid, fundamental basketball, I found him playing that street-ball kinda game.

That is not the kind of basketball needed for the international game. He needed to get cut so he could get home and improve his game.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from paulliu. Show paulliu's posts

Oh well.  I guess Rondo has hurt his brand.  This may or may not mean anything outside of commercial considerations.

A few years ago Paul Pierce came out of the whole FIBA experince with a rep as a selfish gunner.

From a personal perspective, what I find odd is that I always root against the US in international competition.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from KB24RULZ. Show KB24RULZ's posts

Bring back uncle Kobe, he'll fix the U.S team.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from paulliu. Show paulliu's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Rondo coming back? : Yes, but they do have options to replace him with if he doesn't perform the way they need him to. If he doesn't shoot well, doesn't get the FTs, then there's no reason for him to be there. The Celtics have no option but using him because we don't have another alternative besides Robinson. But at this pace probably even Robinson will see more minutes than he did last season. Sad but true. Hope he learns his lesson if he's sent back home.
    Posted by celticsfanmx[/QUOTE]

Obviously, Rondo can easily be replaced on Team USA--that is the nature of an all-star team

This just highlights the fact that the reason for his poor play is not that he is not surrounded by top-flight talent.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from existentialparquet. Show existentialparquet's posts

[QUOTE]Oh well.  I guess Rondo has hurt his brand.  This may or may not mean anything outside of commercial considerations. A few years ago Paul Pierce came out of the whole FIBA experince with a rep as a selfish gunner. From a personal perspective, what I find odd is that I always root against the US in international competition.
    Posted by paulliu[/QUOTE]

I doubt that many players make decisions particularly decisions about representing their country by weighing how it might effect their "brand." The fact that you also root against your country also speaks to a fairly foul attitude.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

That team isn't winning anything anyway. They lack size big time.

Rondo should just go home and start practicing on his game. I think the experience was good for him.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from paulliu. Show paulliu's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Rondo coming back? : I doubt that many players make decisions particularly decisions about representing their country by weighing how it might effect their "brand." The fact that you also root against your country also speaks to a fairly foul attitude.
    Posted by existentialparquet[/QUOTE]

Maybe not many players weigh how it would impact their "brand" but Rondo certainly did, at least according to links on other posts.

As for rooting against the US, I guess my desire to see the underdog do well trumps my feelings of nationalism.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from celticsfanmx. Show celticsfanmx's posts

I also like to cheer for the underdog on those competitions!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from paulliu. Show paulliu's posts

Foerign play has advanced very quickly.  I can remember a time when most foreign players were mechanical and robotic, almost like they learned how to play basketball by reading a textbook--which I guess was indeed the actual case with some of them.

I was really impressed by Ricky Rubio.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Rondo coming back? : I doubt that many players make decisions particularly decisions about representing their country by weighing how it might effect their "brand." The fact that you also root against your country also speaks to a fairly foul attitude.
    Posted by existentialparquet[/QUOTE]

Maybe not many players... but young Rondo did.

Check out this link:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=sheridan_chris&page=USA-Rondo-100722

It would seem that branding was a paramount issue with Rondo's decision to try out for the TEAM USA.

Certainly was the first reason mentioned in the article.

Pud

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

Rondo just withdrew from the Team USA.

USA Basketball chairman Jerry Colangelo said Rondo offered to withdraw to take care of "some family matters to attend to and some things to take care of before the NBA season."

Pud

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from KB24RULZ. Show KB24RULZ's posts

[QUOTE]Rondo just withdrew from the Team USA. USA Basketball chairman Jerry Colangelo said Rondo offered to withdraw to take care of "some family matters to attend to and some things to take care of before the NBA season." Pud
    Posted by puddinpuddin[/QUOTE]

It's called falling on you're sword before a cannon rips you're head off!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from celticsfanmx. Show celticsfanmx's posts

He saved face. Now all he needs is to show some dignity and start improving his game. Or at least that's what I hope...

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

Nobody to blame but himself. Maybe it was the SI cover pic of our "electrifying" PG that pushed him over the edge into sheer delusions of grandeur.

We're about to see what young Rondo is made of. It is possible that he will take this rejection to heart, fearlessly reevaluate his situation and find himself.

Its possible... but not likely.

Pud

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

damfuno, I agree with you.  It's how Rondo deals with this that will determine his true metal.

Rondo did not deserve to be on that team.  For the international game, Rondo skills are just not what you look for, unless you have 4 scorers on the court at the same time.

I am very confident that Rondo will use this and work his tail off and become a better player.  I  believe if he sticks to perfecting the fundamentals and leave that fancy stuff behind, he will be a much-better NBA player next season.

It's just a step in his overall progress.

Sections
Shortcuts