Is Rondo Hurting Team with his Assist Only Thought Process?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

Re: Is Rondo Hurting Team with his Assist Only Thought Process?

Sometimes it does look that way. There are times when the entire team over passes and gets shot clock violations, turnovers, 3 seconds, etc. I'll take the unselfishness though because in the long run it will help.

Rondo knows it's important to get everyone else off (whoa that didn't sound right) LOL! He wants to get everyone else involved and when 8 guys are in double figures and the team has 30 assists...no one is beating them.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Despite my strong support for Rondo,  shooting more and making shots will only improve his ability to be the ultimate assist maker.  He needs to do it and I can't imagine how Doc is not pushing it.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

In Response to Re: Is Rondo Hurting Team with his Assist Only Thought Process?:
    [QUOTE]Despite my strong support for Rondo,  shooting more and making shots will only improve his ability to be the ultimate assist maker.  He needs to do it and I can't imagine how Doc is not pushing it.
    Posted by concord27[/QUOTE]

Agreed.... but pushing Rondo will involve a willingness by Doc to sit him down when he refuses to follow instructions.

Does Doc have the stomach to do that?

5 years and counting!

Pud

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdm894g. Show jdm894g's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Rondo Hurting Team with his Assist Only Thought Process? : Agreed.... but pushing Rondo will involve a willingness by Doc to sit him down when he refuses to follow instructions. Does Doc have the stomach to do that? 5 years and counting! Pud
    Posted by puddinpuddin[/QUOTE]

How many shots do you recommend Rondo take?  How many points should he average?  There are shooters already on the team.  Wasnt Doc just complaining that BBD was taking too many?  I think Rondo scores when he has too.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jumpinwithoutthinking. Show jumpinwithoutthinking's posts

You know, I bet someone told Rondo that for the first 5-6 years of his career he ought to lead the league in assists and then to get to the HOF, average 15 pts a game after that. 

There are so many times he is so wide open and passes it to a guy with 3 defenders.  And other teams never try to defend him on an inbounds...  he ought to be nailing a 3 when that happens.  If you think the other guys are good now, wait till that starts happening. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from celticsfanmx. Show celticsfanmx's posts

A player that can only rebound, or shoot, or assist, or block or steal, is an incomplete player. Being a one dimensional player is not a bad thing per se, if we're talking about someone who comes from the bench to fulfill that role. In our case we're in deep zhyt with Rondo, because he's a starter, doc uses him a lot, and we don't have -at the moment at least- a second alternative to what he does.

Larry Bird itself took pride on his game being as complete as possible: he could shoot, steal, rebound and even block sometimes, so when he wasn't having a good night as a shooter he would always rebound a lot or assist the players in other ways. He often said that the best players in the NBA are the well balanced players that can offer as much as possible to their teams in order to be winners.

That, dear Rondo fans, is not what we're getting from Rondo and it's really sickening and frustrating.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChiefEddie1028. Show ChiefEddie1028's posts

Since the team is winning, and still on top of the East, why cannot say that Rondo is hurting the team. We can only say he hurts the team if we are not winning.

We all know that Rondo that score if he had to, but in a team infested with great scorers, All-Stars, and hall of famers, he doesn't need to score, but rather take the advantage of the great scorers around him to accumulate more assist. He is a well rounded point guard who gets double-double and triple-double at his will.

And let's we forget, he is one of the top point guards in steals and rebounding, and that is another department that people don't talk about.
    Rondo is a great asset for Celtics. Paul and Ray were so happy when he came back from injury.
                                          Time Will Only Tell

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

[QUOTE]Sometimes it does look that way. There are times when the entire team over passes and gets shot clock violations, turnovers, 3 seconds, etc. I'll take the unselfishness though because in the long run it will help. Rondo knows it's important to get everyone else off (whoa that didn't sound right) LOL! He wants to get everyone else involved and when 8 guys are in double figures and the team has 30 assists...no one is beating them.
    Posted by BiasLewis[/QUOTE]

Get everyone else off?   Ughhh.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TeamUmbutu. Show TeamUmbutu's posts

If he has to find a way to prove that he is the best, I would rather have him choose assists on this team, than steals like last year. The Celtics are loaded with offensive talent and play unselfishly.

Last year when he chose to work on steals in the regular season, it really hurt the team defense.

The only time that is seems to be an issue is at the end of quarters when the opposing team plays five on four. In close games, it can be a problem, but Doc seems to put the ball in someone else's hands as the clock runs down more often now.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamezHill24. Show JamezHill24's posts

i watched a segment (or read somthing) that said that rondo's unselfishness is actually a good thing for the team, bc it keeps the rest of the team on their toes..keeps them running on fast breaks hoping for that easy alley oop or easy dunk. yes rondo might like assists, but its not like he never shoots. i know people like to say that but its not true. he puts up shots when he has to, but lets be honest..do you feel more comfortable with a rondo jumper or a ray allen 3? if he can get it to the more efficient guys hes going to do that.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamezHill24. Show JamezHill24's posts

also, the one-dimensional argument has no merit bc its simply not true. Rondo is the farthest thing from a one dimensional pg. he can drive, dish, rebound, and steal. and contrary to the belief, he can shoot the elbow jumper. hes not one dimensional.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

When ROndo passes up layups to chuck a pass back to the top of the key... thats where I draw the line.  I agree with those saying Rondo hurts the team letting these bunnies go by to get an assist.  Thats not cause hes trying to be a team guy.. hes trying to either pile assists and/or avoid the FT line imo.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from gsm52. Show gsm52's posts

The Celtics are 29-9, went to the finals last year, and won two years before that.  He's not hurting them too badly.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

In Response to Is Rondo Hurting Team with his Assist Only Thought Process?:
    [QUOTE]Just wondering about you guys and gals thoughts.  I have seen many times he has passed up a layup just to make another pass.  Now the 3 to Ray when they were all alone at one end of fine, but when you get point blank under the goal and pass out to someone else its not alright in my book.  I don't think its a concern on getting fouled either.  I think he looks at assists as a way to be in the top PG category.  Don't get me wrong I like Rondo but I think he needs to score so more and especially look for his shots.  Any PG will tell you that the more you score the easier it gets for assists.  Believe me I know about that.
    Posted by OneOnOne[/QUOTE]

It is not Rondo's "only thought process" to get assists.  It is Rondo's only thought process to no be embarrassed to be the worst shooter in the league.

Most posters here would have one believe that Rondo is somehow sacrificing his game for the benefit of the team.  How can the worst shooter in the league be sacrificing anything when he routinely passes up layups?  He is not looking for assists, he is looking to ensure that he can continue to take 20% the normal of free throws of a point guard and while getting to the line only 20% of the time of the best making them only half the time.

What is stupefying to me is that there are still the staunch defenders that would not rather have had Rondo step up and score 25 and beat Houston.... um... like Brooks, 24 and 9.

Last night Westbrook dominated the game but somehow Rondo defenders want to wax poetic about how Rondo is a pass first point guard and how Westbrook would not fit in becuase he is a gunner or a scoring point guard. 

Pass first point guard is a code word for a point guard that nobody really has to guard and that is not a threat in the half court set and so on and so forth.

Somehow Rondo being a pass first point guard is perfect for this team but if they had Rose and a dozen others who could actually shoot, make 3s, make freebies, etc. they would score 6 or 8 more points per game and eliminate double teams against KG, or Ray, or Paul and keep the best teams from sagging into the paint.

Suffice it to say Rondo's 13 assists per game would dramatically decline given that none of his shotting abilities would change even if his teammates were to change - for example, since KG has been out, Rondo's assists have declined dramatically.

Imagine if it was Tony Allen instead of Ray Allen, what if it was Jay Humphries instead of Pierce, or Big Baby instead of KG..... well we are finding out aren't we.

Give Bradley a couple of years and we would all be saying Rondo who?

Give them a healthy Delonte West and they would have beaten Houston and a couple of other teams that they ended up losing to.

Let's not give Rondo so much credit that there is actually some sort of "thought process", let's instead try to look at it is the "fear process".... fear of having more fans think of him the way I do.

The other night Rose was 11 of 11 from the line, is there really a Cs fan that thinks that Pierce, Allen, and KG would think that was a really bad thing?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

He's hurting them all the way to NBA finals and championships. I wish someone would hurt me like that.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamezHill24. Show JamezHill24's posts

Dudder are you implying that Rondo cant make "wide open" layups? if hes scared of being fouled then that means that its NOT a wide open layup..soo..contested layup..wide open 3..contested..wide open. wide open HOF'er at that..im gunna go head and say id go with the wide open 3 by the hall of famer. second. stop saying hes the worst shooter in the league bc hes not. not even close really..idk where you get that. he has a 51% fg percentage. thats not the worst in the league. ur boy Rose is shooting 43%. so if Rondo is going to be efficient with his shots and not overshoot to get 25 points, im fine with that.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from breaktime. Show breaktime's posts

I agree.  Passing up a shot under the basket and passing it out looks strange.
    That, and shooting and not shooting aside, Rondo's at his most effective when he pushes the ball upcourt.  That's when things seem to open up best for the C's offense.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Icon11. Show Icon11's posts

Rondo is hurting the team a little by not being a good shooter and passing a bit too much.  He helps the team a lot with all the other stuff.  18, 13 and 6 tonight. 
    Lets cut him.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

Excellent game. I didn't see him turn down anything tonight. Usually the Dud throw DJ's name up there with guys better than Rondo.  Other than DJ padding his stats at the end of the game it was total domination.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdm894g. Show jdm894g's posts

Rondo's stats tonight.....18/13/6 on 7 of 11 FG and 3 of 4 FTs.  Please stop with all the hate on Rondo!!!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from edcap99. Show edcap99's posts

This is an absurd assumption. Rondo has probably the most number of double-doubles on the team. In a team loaded with offensive options, his main role in the offense is to distribute the ball and get everyone else involved. Naturally, he will rack-up assists in the process. While Rondo may not have a reliable outside shot, he can create scoring situations for himself when he wants to. Note how effective Shaq was tonite against the Hornets because of Rondo's play.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamezHill24. Show JamezHill24's posts

its funny the haters only show up on nights where he is average..on nights like this they cant say SH*T!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenkillme. Show greenkillme's posts

In Response to Is Rondo Hurting Team with his Assist Only Thought Process?:
    [QUOTE]Just wondering about you guys and gals thoughts.  I have seen many times he has passed up a layup just to make another pass.  Now the 3 to Ray when they were all alone at one end of fine, but when you get point blank under the goal and pass out to someone else its not alright in my book.  I don't think its a concern on getting fouled either.  I think he looks at assists as a way to be in the top PG category.  Don't get me wrong I like Rondo but I think he needs to score so more and especially look for his shots.  Any PG will tell you that the more you score the easier it gets for assists.  Believe me I know about that.
    Posted by OneOnOne[/QUOTE]

I think you are wrong. The whole team plays better with Rondo thinking pass frist. Everyone gets to be ready all the time.

After watching NO several times this year it seems to me that CP has adopted Rondo's attitude and his team is playing better as a team  because of it. Last night was a perfect example.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenkillme. Show greenkillme's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Rondo Hurting Team with his Assist Only Thought Process? : Agreed.... but pushing Rondo will involve a willingness by Doc to sit him down when he refuses to follow instructions. Does Doc have the stomach to do that? 5 years and counting! Pud
    Posted by puddinpuddin[/QUOTE]

Oh so now you are a Doc basher too? In the last three years we have a championship, a trip to the east finals and a championship stolem from us and you think Doc is an inferior coach because of your mistaken fantasy about Rondo.

I think Rondo could score 25 a game if he wanted to. Would that make you happy.

Sections
Shortcuts