Is Sullinger the next Big Baby?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

Re: Is Sullinger the next Big Baby?

so i've read that sullinger has post game but davis does not.  that's not true.  davis has a good post game and can use both hands.  davis has great foot work in the post too.  so does sully.

then i read that sully's a good rebounder but davis is not.

shall we peruse the stats?  sullinger in 27 minutes goes for 12.6 and 7.8 boards.  davis in 31 minutes goes for 13.1 and 7.2 boards.  davis is just coming off of a broken foot.  he averaged much more points last year.  both men are playing for horrible teams who really have no center.

i'd say the stats are a bit inconclusive.  sullinger is shooting 2 points worse field goals than davis- 43%, which is horrendous for a 4.

i agree that i like sullinger's personality better than davis.  but davis did some great stuff for us in nut cupping time, things i haven't seen any celtic player do since bird, cowens, silas.  sully has some of that in him too.  he also has 2 back surgeries under his belt and he's 22. 

hard to make heads or tails of "who is better".  i do know that davis, for a 6 foot 7 guy could give fits to duncan, bynum when bynum was releveant, shaq and all the 7 foot 300 pounders you could throw his way.  they consistently under-performed with davis guarding them.  can sullinger do that?  can sullinger's back take doing that?  not sure.  yet to be revealed.  is sully quick enough to play 4?  not sure.  davis really shined playing the 4 2 yrs ago and then last year until hurt and SOUNDLY outplayed 7-2 roy hibbert in the playoffs last year as undersized 5....

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

In response to aciemvp's comment:

so i've read that sullinger has post game but davis does not.  that's not true.  davis has a good post game and can use both hands.  davis has great foot work in the post too.  so does sully.

shall we peruse the stats?  sullinger in 27 minutes goes for 12.6 and 7.8 boards.  davis in 31 minutes goes for 13.1 and 7.2 boards.  davis is just coming off of a broken foot.  he averaged much more points last year.  both men are playing for horrible teams who really have no center.

i'd say the stats are a bit inconclusive.  sullinger is shooting 2 points worse field goals than davis- 43%, which is horrendous for a 4.

i agree that i like sullinger's personality better than davis.  but davis did some great stuff for us in nut cupping time, things i haven't seen any celtic player do since bird, cowens, silas.  sully has some of that in him too.  he also has 2 back surgeries under his belt and he's 22. 

hard to make heads or tails of "who is better".  i do know that davis, for a 6 foot 7 guy could give fits to duncan, bynum when bynum was releveant, shaq and all the 7 foot 300 pounders you could throw his way.  they consistently under-performed with davis guarding them.  can sullinger do that?  can sullinger's back take doing that?  not sure.  yet to be revealed.  is sully quick enough to play 4?  not sure.  davis really shined playing the 4 2 yrs ago and then last year until hurt and SOUNDLY outplayed 7-2 roy hibbert in the playoffs last year as undersized 5....

Bingo.........thought he was much better than he was, and constantly told us about it.....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

Just one back surgery to date... to repair a lumbar disc.

Should be better than new now.

Pud

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

In response to puddinpuddin's comment:
    [/QUOTE]

Pud

[/QUOTE]

are you sure about that?  i thought sullinger had a back surgery in college?  or was that just the original back injury?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from romneywins. Show romneywins's posts

Davis was huge for us , he gave us toughness we and physical presence we needed at the time.  The guy is a good basketball player just not great like Cowens.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from romneywins. Show romneywins's posts

Dave Cowens was the best undersized center I ever watched and I have watched them all in my 72 years.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

Career per 36 minutes Sully averages 10.6 boards and Davis averages 7.5. Sullinger is a much better rebounder than Davis.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

In response to puddinpuddin's comment:

Pud

are you sure about that?  i thought sullinger had a back surgery in college?  or was that just the original back injury?

I dug around a bit and couldn't find any mention of a previous surgery. The original injury was about 3 years ago in college but no surgery... just conservative care and a lot of limping and intermittent pain.

Could you be confusing Sully with Leon Powe who had multiple knee surgeries, once in college and then redone as a Celtic... and then again as a Cav?

Pud

• You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

In response to romneywins' comment:

Davis was huge for us , he gave us toughness we and physical presence we needed at the time.  The guy is a good basketball player just not great like Cowens.

He was good.............but HE thought he was great.  That's the problem.  And David W. Cowens, my boyhood hero, deserves a little more respect than to be mentioned in the same sentence with a player I loathed.

I feel the same way about Mike Greenwell comparing himself to another of my boyhood heroes, Yaz!  Was Greenwell a "good" player?  Yes........YAZ??  No way!!

• You have chosen to ignore posts from debrit. Show debrit's posts

In response to hedleylamarr's comment:

OMG......NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.....Sully is better now than Davis ever was..........PUHLEEZE don't make this comparison....I loathed Glen Daivs!!!!

you loathed glen davis shooting too much from outside but you think it's okay when sullinger does it?  how's that whole thing work?

Easy.......Sully doens't take any fall-away jumpers with no chance of them going in.  He takes deliberate, set shots, which he has worked on in the off-season.

Davis took that fadeaway jumper from the corner that NEVER went it.  He did hit a bigshot  in the ORL series, sure, but he should have stayed underneath.

In addition, he talked too much about how good he was..........just my personal opinion....that okay with you?

Sullinger will be a very good player .D,ont forget he only 21.Had a serious back surgery,this is really his rookie seasson.New coach,new system.Give him time to learn the nba game.D,ont forget that he is playing center,not his natural position.Go celtics.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from rickrand3. Show rickrand3's posts

Tonight Sully went for 8 and 3 against the Knicks. Chandler ate him for lunch all game! I am hoping these Big Baby like stats will not last much longer but???

• This post has been removed.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

In response to Mployee8's comment:

In response to rickrand3's comment:

Tonight Sully went for 8 and 3 against the Knicks. Chandler ate him for lunch all game! I am hoping these Big Baby like stats will not last much longer but???

Size matters!

Its not fair to chastise his play and stats against big centers like Chandler, when he has to play out of position at center.  

Just the fact that he CAN play center at 6'9" and hold his own is testament to his talent and value.  

When we get a legit center and Sully moves full time to his natural PF position, he will be one of the most productive players on the Celtics rebuild.  Sully is a stud already and really just playing his first full year in the NBA. 

Tyson Chandler ate Bynum and Gasol for lunch, too.

Not a crime that Sully, playing out of position, got abused by a legit center.

Anyone think Big Baby would do better against Chandler?

I think he'd do the exact same as Sully did last night and that's my point of the post...Sully needs to elevate his game. The C's need him to be a leader and 1/2 way thru the season I don't see ANY evidence of that...unfortunately!!

• You have chosen to ignore posts from DaCeltics. Show DaCeltics's posts

Sullinger is similar two an old Trailblazer championship center. Kevin Duckworth 7foot 275lb. (Died in 2008)

Sully is 6-9feet and 280lb.

Duckworth was a nice core player but not the man. Drexler and Porter were the "MEN". Well balanced team. Ainge was on it too.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

I think he'd do the exact same as Sully did last night and that's my point of the post...Sully needs to elevate his game. The C's need him to be a leader and 1/2 way thru the season I don't see ANY evidence of that...unfortunately!!

thats insane.  Sully is playing better than anyone on the team right now AND has the highest upside.  and you expect Sully to be the team leader playing in his first full season...and in back of Rondo and Green and several seasoned vets.  

I'm sorry, nothing personal but this is the dumbest post of the year. 

In response to Eldunker's comment:

thats insane.  Sully is playing better than anyone on the team right now AND has the highest upside.  and you expect Sully to be the team leader playing in his first full season...and in back of Rondo and Green and several seasoned vets.  

I have read every post since the start of the season and I'd hardly call this the dumbest post of the year. Personally I thought the post a few days ago by the idiot commy saying that Paul Pierce took an employee in the closet in the dark before every Celtics game would qualify as a dumber post.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

In response to Eldunker's comment:

I have read every post since the start of the season and I'd hardly call this the dumbest post of the year. Personally I thought the post a few days ago by the idiot commy saying that Paul Pierce took an employee in the closet in the dark before every Celtics game would qualify as a dumber post.

I have to back rick back up on this one. What he said earlier wasn't even the dumbest post of the hour.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

In response to DaCeltics' comment:

Sullinger is similar two an old Trailblazer championship center. Kevin Duckworth 7foot 275lb. (Died in 2008)

Sully is 6-9feet and 280lb.

Duckworth was a nice core player but not the man. Drexler and Porter were the "MEN". Well balanced team. Ainge was on it too.

those blazers never won it all

duckworth was a nice guy and all but a horrid rebounder for his huge size.  sully is better than that

• You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

nope, but he sure could body the crap out of dwight howard and tim duncan

Sully went for 24 and 17 tonight with a busted finger.

Davis had a busted finger, too.  From getting in a bar fight!

When Sullinger starts telling us how good he is, I'll want Davis back.  Until then, I will never admit Davis is near the player Sully is...........and he never was.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from celticelmo. Show celticelmo's posts

When Sullinger starts telling us how good he is, I'll want Davis back.  Until then, I will never admit Davis is near the player Sully is...........and he never was.

Sully is a much better player than Davis. More range, better rebounder, better passer and I do not think we would ever see Sully crying on the bench.

In response to celticelmo's comment:

Sully is a much better player than Davis. More range, better rebounder, better passer and I do not think we would ever see Sully crying on the bench.

I agree - you need to talke to Acie!

• Sections
    Shortcuts