Is this inevitable struggle given trades/injuries or a dying team?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mac1980. Show mac1980's posts

Is this inevitable struggle given trades/injuries or a dying team?

Don't know what to think...10 days ago I was certain they were going to coast into the #1 seed, Miami was imploding, Chicago a good 3 games back...now they can't score 80 points in a game and look absolutely lifeless...what's the deal?  Part of me thinks that maybe the core guys feel betrayed/humiliated/whatever by the Perk trade, like maybe they really believed the whole "this 5 never lost a playoff series" thing and that this was their last shot and Ainge absolutely sabotaged the championship because of the business side of things, maintaining a credible product after the Big 3 fade away...I mean it seemed like the whole story of this year was working to get that Game 7 at home this time and to have Perk healthy this time...then bang, Danny Ainge fires the shot heard round the world and the whole thing is over...comments? thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

Re: Is this inevitable struggle given trades/injuries or a dying team?

That's just you.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mac1980. Show mac1980's posts

In Response to Re: Is this inevitable struggle given trades/injuries or a dying team?:
    [QUOTE]That's just you.
    Posted by P34[/QUOTE]

man you're a really articulate fella, I mean it's either what you just said or HAHAHAHAHA, fascinating

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mac1980. Show mac1980's posts

In Response to Re: Is this inevitable struggle given trades/injuries or a dying team?:
    [QUOTE]That's just you.
    Posted by P34[/QUOTE]

It's also such a cop out.  We're all Celtics fans, that ain't the issue Mr. Who-are-the-real-fans-cuz-I'm-a-real-fan-look-at-how-hard-I-bump-my-chest.  Why don't you offer your explanation as to why the team suucks lately.  Why they can't score 80 against the Nets, why they scored 77 against a Rockets, the worst offensive performance against the Rockets this season?  What are your arguments?  HAHAHAHAHA! is not an argument.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mac1980. Show mac1980's posts

[QUOTE]mac1980 - I rarely post on the Cs, but the recent spate of play since the trades is exposing a lot of things.  I felt at the end of game 7 last year - that was it with this core of the Big 3, the last gasp.  Here they are again, currently a 2 seed in the East.  I'm can only go on a leap of faith that they can go all the way.  I agree: the age, the losing of Perk has vacuumed something out of this team. It would be naive of people to just assume that this year's Celts will just waltz to the Finals.  Even uf they were the #1 seed.  Every year ALL competitors are slightly different.  I will give the Cs the advantage of experience.  That's a huge edge.   However, they can still scare a lot of people if they make sure this Rockets' loss is the last one for a long time.
    Posted by ipot[/QUOTE]

That's what I'm talkin' about..."the losing of Perk has vacuumed something out of this team"...great comment...I'm not saying they can't still win, but there is something ominous about the recent abysmal play, I don't think a championship team would lose home-court like they have in the span of 10 days against weak opponents, it just doesn't taste right

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MsLithium21. Show MsLithium21's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is this inevitable struggle given trades/injuries or a dying team? : That's what I'm talkin' about..."the losing of Perk has vacuumed something out of this team"...great comment...I'm not saying they can't still win, but there is something ominous about the recent abysmal play, I don't think a championship team would lose home-court like they have in the span of 10 days against weak opponents, it just doesn't taste right
    Posted by mac1980[/QUOTE]

I'm not entirely sure it's about the trade because they actually won like their 1st 5 games with Green and Krstic.  (They get a mulligan in that Denver game because they were shorthanded, not to mention shell-shocked.)  Something's very wrong but whatever it is, it started a good 10 days after the trade with that loss at home to the Clippers and they haven't really recovered.  I hope they do and will be convinced when they can win a few games in a row, not just one blow-out before returning to the rut.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsboy3. Show Patsboy3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is this inevitable struggle given trades/injuries or a dying team? : It's also such a cop out.  We're all Celtics fans, that ain't the issue Mr. Who-are-the-real-fans-cuz-I'm-a-real-fan-look-at-how-hard-I-bump-my-chest.  Why don't you offer your explanation as to why the team suucks lately.  Why they can't score 80 against the Nets, why they scored 77 against a Rockets, the worst offensive performance against the Rockets this season?  What are your arguments?  HAHAHAHAHA! is not an argument.
    Posted by mac1980[/QUOTE]

Mac, if you didn't know by now, HE CAN'T offer you any reasonable explanation. He is only good at one liners or three sentences or better yet replying to one's post like a bee sting. Don't bother.

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MsLithium21. Show MsLithium21's posts

But no one's saying he's going to *carry* the team - just add a very important piece that we're sorely missing right now.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

We just need to get the offense going again.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

[QUOTE]When the Cs get Shaq back things will be different. Plus, I think Green should be starting instead of Krstic.
    Posted by Kirk6[/QUOTE]

Wasn't you raving about Kristic last week?  Now your ready to bench him?  I think we are small enough as it is.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rsalas67m. Show rsalas67m's posts

I believe that Danny Ainge did over-react in trying to improve the Celtics. Boston was cruising at the top in the East. Team chemistry, comradarie, and loyalty are intangibles that sometimes get lost in the shuffle when trying to save money or improve the team.

What gets a team over the hump besides physical talent is the mental side of the game. Unceremoniously shipping Perk off seriously affected the psyche of the team. There is nothing wrong with trying to maximize profit margin, but you can't put a price on player loyalty and chemistry and the impact it has on the success or failure rate of an NBA franchise. The talent level among teams is razor thin and any disruption to success can quickly marginalize some NBA teams. The jury is still out on Boston's decision to acquire new players so late in the season. 

The players have lost faith in the system. Can it be turned around. Yes, once all the players get acclimated to one another and develop new bonds with the newly acquired players. But there is a lingering sting now that Perkins is gone who was the defensive anchor of the Celtics. The emotional doledrums should pass if the Celtic players put winning above anything else. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from docomospur. Show docomospur's posts

It's probably a measure of both - a whole bunch of new players plus a group of starters who are struggling against natural decline (Rondo excluded, of course, but lord knows what the heck is up with him).

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaktug. Show kaktug's posts

i'm still a big fan of the perk trade. we improved ourselves at 2 positions and didn't lose much in exchange. not to mention the fact that we positioned ourselves much better for next year and beyond. i would still do the trade today.

but something is definitely wrong, and it has nothing to do with perk not being on the floor. the big 4 are not playing the way we're used to seeing them play. if they're just moping about perk, they need to get over it. they're grown men; not little children. more likely, the big 3 are nearing the end of their careers and their skills are leaving them. i notice it more in PP than in RA or KG. PP does not seem to be playing like the PP of old. maybe he's just wearing/winding down. not sure what's up with RR, other than he's acting like a wuss. maybe he's hurt; i have no idea.

i think/hope we will play through this rut, but time is running out. we need shaq and/or JO to return to this team. they've been allowed to coast long enough. time for them to earn their $. take whatever shots are medially necessary and get your old butt out there!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

I'm not sure what is going on with this team. PP isn't shooting as much, RA looks like his legs are gone and Rondo isn't even playing like a top 10 PG.

Let's just get this regular season over, get some rest before the playoffs, cut down the travel and back to backs and let's see what happens. I'm not worried about the seeding anymore because they are definately dragging to the finish...just finish healthy at this point.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pancakespwn. Show Pancakespwn's posts

Is this really shocking?

We have been saying all year long the stretch going into the playoffs was going to be the worst. When it happens you guys get flustered. 

Rondo is not playing well right now and he knows he has gone out and said he has been playing bad. 

Once the playoffs start its a whole different thing and its not the regular season and it has no affects on the postseason run. Shaq is fresh, KG is primed to go, Rondo is a great PG, and we have Paul and Jesus.  

You guys need to take a step off the ledge a bit and look at this picture a little bit more and no that doesn't mean starting Jeff Green. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

There is plenty of blame to go around but the Celtics MVP is imploding.  Rondo who makes the team go is not playing anywhere near the way he was earlier this season.  It is that simple.

It is tired to hear it over and over on the BB but this is the main problem.

What is wrong with Rondo I don't know.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]It's probably a measure of both - a whole bunch of new players plus a group of starters who are struggling against natural decline (Rondo excluded, of course, but lord knows what the heck is up with him).
    Posted by docomospur[/QUOTE]

I agree that trading so many players this late in the season is a very risky idea.  I still believe that trading Perk wasn't a good idea and Danny just needed a backup to Pierce.  Since Shaq and Jermaine still haven't returned yet, I don't believe either will be very helpful during the playoffs.  I am sure that Danny felt that he had no choice and no other tradeable pieces in order to get a good backup small forward.  The injuries to the team this year were very unfortunate. 

Sections
Shortcuts