Is Von Wafer better than Tony Allen overall?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaCeltics. Show DaCeltics's posts

Is Von Wafer better than Tony Allen overall?

I tell you, He makes considerably less bonehead plays on offense AND defense than TA does.

He's twice the offensive player and maybe 3/4 the defender. IMO

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Re: Is Von Wafer better than Tony Allen overall?

Ditto for me I like Wafer but TA was a real playoff weapon.  Another crazy DA move.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rayman7. Show rayman7's posts

In Response to Re: Is Von Wafer better than Tony Allen overall?:

[QUOTE]Ditto for me I like Wafer but TA was a real playoff weapon.  Another crazy DA move.

Posted by concord27[/QUOTE]

No comparison.  TA any day.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Von Wafer better than Tony Allen overall? : No comparison.  TA any day.
    Posted by rayman7[/QUOTE]

I would also say Tony Allen. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

In Response to Is Von Wafer better than Tony Allen overall?:
    [QUOTE]I tell you, He makes considerably less bonehead plays on offense AND defense than TA does. He's twice the offensive player and maybe 3/4 the defender. IMO
    Posted by DaCeltics[/QUOTE]seriously put down the crakpipe! the next guy wafer shuts down on defense will be his FIRST. guys like u focus only on the negs of what guys cant do as opposed to what itis they do great. TA was a lock-down defenser. along with kg, and perk that meant no double team needed. ask kobe how great a defender tony was? same with wade. you think the guy who called himself an offensive player his first day with the media is going to make any top player shake in their boots? wafe has a better outside shot and foul shot than ta but in every other offensive area tony is superior or as good. like how you forget that ta was the backup pg on this team in some key situations during his career as well. he made bad passes and had turnovers.. yep how is that different from a pierce? tony also had a ton of steals, have u ever seen wafe get a steal or pick any one's pocket? ever saw tony on a trap?

TA is right now the star he would have been had he not destroyed his knee on that silly dunk attempt around 2005. he was hitting jumpers and had people talking about him being a potential franchise and all-star player at the time. now he  is playing at an all-star level and getting that kind of respect. has wafe ever been at that level? after randolph, ta is the best and most important player on grizzlies. perhaps third if rudy gay was available. he is definitely part of the big 3 in memphis!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from basketbert. Show basketbert's posts

No.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Lets put things in perspective... we cant compare Wafer to the TA in Memphis.. We have to compre him when he was a Celtic.

From that perspective, its a non issue. Neither have done much for the Celtics with the exception of TA's playoff season last year. Other than that, TA has been a bust in Boston.

TA finally emerged as a solid defensive stopper and an offensive weapon on the break...

If I had to choose today who would I take...its TA in a no brainer

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MinnesotaCelticsFan. Show MinnesotaCelticsFan's posts

The comparison should be between Green and TA , not Wafer.

Wafer may not even play in the play-offs.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

well, thanks to doc rivers felonious misuse of wafer, we probably don't know.  instead, we ran the pants off of ray allen all year.  doc is an idiot.

i'm really starting to wonder if danny is any better.  allen would have taken anything over 3.2 a year to stay here.  he wanted to.  perkins is a harder decision because i don't think he's worth much more than what he rejected.  but forget the stinking extension, you could still just stay with him until the end of the year. 

nate robinson loved being here.  he was clutch in in last year's playoffs.  now we have arroyo who stinks and delonte would get hurt turning over his pillow in a carpeted room. 

starting to look like a bunch of bad moves.  jeff green could almost individually mitigate the bad decisions if he can figure out how to turn it on for these playoffs.  ancient shaq though. already hurt when perkins was cut loose.  now all eggs are in the jerlame basket.  hope that house of popsicle sticks holds together!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MinnesotaCelticsFan. Show MinnesotaCelticsFan's posts

Acie,

The blame is not in Doc.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChiefEddie1028. Show ChiefEddie1028's posts

Von Wafer is a more complete player than Tony Allen.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rsalas67m. Show rsalas67m's posts

As a Laker fan my vote doesn't count but anyone who believes that Von Wafer is "better" than Tony Allen is blind. I watched Von Wafer when he first came into the league with the Lakers and then on to Houston. He was a bench warmer then and for good reason.

Tony Allen, for his shortcomings on offense more than made up for it on defense. He's as tough as they come. All you have to do is see how he's playing for the Grizzlies. That's another mistake Ainge made.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from clappy. Show clappy's posts

Haven't seen enough of Von to really know. Anyway, we didn't get him for his D. he's a shooter.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdm894g. Show jdm894g's posts

Honestly, honestly.  Ask your self did Tony Allen really shut down Wade or Kobe?  Or did he just make them take a few tough shots the few minutes he guarded them?  How much time did he spend guarding them?  I dont recall TA starting and logging major minutes to "shut down" Kobe or Wade or any other 2 guard or 3.I will take better offense over better defense, because at the end of the day the ball needs to go in the basket more times than not.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from usa4life. Show usa4life's posts

I loved TA and thought he needed to play more in game seven.

TA and Rondo were sweet on the break.
    Get a steal and off go rondo and TA.

I would also love it when either Pierce or Ray would sit in the 4th (foul trouble, etc) and TA was on the floor because he was a better defender.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In Response to Is Von Wafer better than Tony Allen overall?:
    [QUOTE]I tell you, He makes considerably less bonehead plays on offense AND defense than TA does. He's twice the offensive player and maybe 3/4 the defender. IMO
    Posted by DaCeltics[/QUOTE]

missing the point as always Da

TA is better, but he is also paid 12 million over 3 years and is now a starter in Memphis

Wafer was paid the vet min for 1 year

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

[QUOTE]Too many people here always focused on TA's negatives, the occasional egregious turnover. But, his lock down defensive plusses waaaaay out outweighed his negatives. Kobe and Wade were extremely pleased when Tony went to Memphis. Wafer?? He is on nobody's radar as a defensive stopper. Has his defense improved since he started? Most definitely. But, grading him at 3/4 of TA's level. NO WAY!!
    Posted by ControllerMod[/QUOTE]the one thing wafe has over his TA is his salary. if both were available for the minimum vets one year deal, absolutely u go with TA. for the price, wafe i guess is the better value. delonte and green bring enough to negate tony's one thing of defense and break-running i guess. again, i'll judge all this by where we finish this year!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-Doc-Redemption. Show Red-Doc-Redemption's posts

They both stink....How's that?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rajon-Hondo. Show Rajon-Hondo's posts

No.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from caesarthecat. Show caesarthecat's posts

wafer is a scalabrine at sg position.......

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tabuckiss. Show Tabuckiss's posts

Von has major ups and has four times the shooting ability than Tony. And he has decent defense.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from JREwing. Show JREwing's posts

Wafer's a better 3 point shooter, but Tony Allen's a much better defender

Sections
Shortcuts