Is Von Wafer better than Tony Allen overall?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from genaro008. Show genaro008's posts

Re: Is Von Wafer better than Tony Allen overall?

There are two seperate players. Von is a shooter with hops. TA is a defender with hops. They both share the fact neither is a ball handler

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

In Response to Re: Is Von Wafer better than Tony Allen overall?:
    [QUOTE]Too many people here always focused on TA's negatives, the occasional egregious turnover. But, his lock down defensive plusses waaaaay out outweighed his negatives. Kobe and Wade were extremely pleased when Tony went to Memphis. Wafer?? He is on nobody's radar as a defensive stopper. Has his defense improved since he started? Most definitely. But, grading him at 3/4 of TA's level. NO WAY!!
    Posted by ControllerMod[/QUOTE]the one thing wafe has over his TA is his salary. if both were available for the minimum vets one year deal, absolutely u go with TA. for the price, wafe i guess is the better value. delonte and green bring enough to negate tony's one thing of defense and break-running i guess. again, i'll judge all this by where we finish this year!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Memphis just got their 1st playoff win, but if it was because of T.A. , then its the championship leadership and exp. he brought cuz he didnt have an impact from what I saw.  We still have plenty of leadership between thbe big 3, so I think people are just overating Allen.  He goes for any ball fake you throw at him and besides his ability to drive, he is a horrible shooter, worse than Rondo.

NOt saying he couldnt be used here for defense, but he had his chance and he is not worth the money to us, but maybe another young team like Memhpis could use his playoff exp. but I just dont see how we are missing him.  He scored 3 points and made no plays on defense.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

In Response to Re: Is Von Wafer better than Tony Allen overall?:
    [QUOTE]Memphis just got their 1st playoff win, but if it was because of T.A. , then its the championship leadership and exp. he brought cuz he didnt have an impact from what I saw.  We still have plenty of leadership between thbe big 3, so I think people are just overating Allen.  He goes for any ball fake you throw at him and besides his ability to drive, he is a horrible shooter, worse than Rondo. NOt saying he couldnt be used here for defense, but he had his chance and he is not worth the money to us, but maybe another young team like Memhpis could use his playoff exp. but I just dont see how we are missing him.  He scored 3 points and made no plays on defense.
    Posted by JayShizzle45[/QUOTE]DO NOT KNOCK TONY. DID YOU NOT SEE the game? tony is out there at crunch. shut down parker totally. made 2 clutch foul shots, made 2 great passes. oushed the ball after getting a key rebound, also had great block and on the last shot, shut down his area of the perimeter! he was a key reason griz won!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Since the question is whether Wafer is better than TA overall and not whether Wafer is better for our roster because he costs less......the answer is clear:  Tony Allen by a mile!

I hated his twice a game bonehead plays but you gotta love his defense, his ability to run the floor, and his ability to get the basket and draw fouls on others.  He was an underrated Celtic and memphis didn't overpay to get him - he deserves the money and he's making a huge difference to Memphis in both their toughness and their defense.  TA along with Perk and KG were big parts of why the Celts were so tough.

Acie - give it a rest, my man.  Not everthing that goes wrong in the franschise is Doc's fault.  Doc didn't let TA go, trade Perk, get Shaq/JON/Wafer/West/Semih/Perk/etc all hurt.   We've had some bad luck, but it ain't over - this team will show that starting with the Knicks.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

C.C., PLEASE, I did watch the game, T.A. came in during crunch after O.J. fouled out.  Stop trying to stir things up.  He had no impact in this game.  I watched the whole thing.,...he still goes for every pump fake, he cant dribble or shoot, and he isnt getting oppty's to drive, so I dont see his impact yet in this series, but he is def. more valuble to memhpis than he could be to us...he wouldnt take Greens minutes, so lets him be happy in memphis, but please with the "should have"   "could have"  nobody was sweating him when he was here and he was a replacable role player...what he brings to memphis , we already have , which is championshiop caliber experience and thats it...

He had 7 pts and 3 assists, and one steal, and was 3-6 from the f/t line...so he scored 2 buckets in 24 minutes

G.Hill had 15 and Parker had 20..  the guys he guarded

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

T.A. played only 5 minutes in game 7 last year when Kobe was held to 24% shooting.....so it was RAY Allens defense that kept us in the game.  Tony was a - 9 while in the game...

He was a good defender on a great defensive team, so he looked more efficient here, but in essence, our whole team plays defense.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

True - Ray Allen's defense was superb on Kobe in the Finals.  

Tony Allen was no all star, but then again - neither is Wafer.  TA gave us toughness and defense.  Wafer has yet to give us anything but a hope for potential!  TA played great d against Lebron and Wade in sub minutes.  Also, don't overstate the +/- thing....that's on the WHOLE bench, not just one player.   We didn't have any wing player who gave 100% energy on D when he was in like Allen did and we miss that.

I'm not suggesting TA is a star, I'm just saying he's FAR FAR FAR better than Wafer and more valuable to us than Wafer.  Wafer has a better jumper and that's all.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Well I dont think thats fair becase Wafer hasnt played one minute yet in the playoffs.  Who is to say he doesnt spark us off the bench scoring? 

All I am saying is, I recognize what T.A. did, but it was in the context of a great team defense.  Meaning, yes he hold Lebron, Wade, etc to decent scoring numbers but it was the help behind him that prevented Kobe from getting to the rim.  Tony did a good job contesting shots, but lets be real on his best day he couldnt hold them down with a shytty defensive team behind him.  This is where I credit Perk, but T.,A. was just as bad on offense as he was good on defense, so I dont see it and BTW, nooone else on our bench played game 7, so it is on T.A.,...- do you remember we only had a 6  man rotation game 7?, cuz Doc didnt trust Nate, Scal or Danniels to play, so are starters were gassed and T.A. could only play 5 minutes cuz with him and Rondo in, the Lakers were playing 5 on 3....so I do remember the game, believe me, it is still fresh and Tony had no impact in game 7 but to hinder us offensively and seeing as though we only scored 79 pts and we held L.A. to 83, without Tony playing much sais it all for me...Good player but jury still out on Wafer and I think if he plays he will have a bigger impact in the playoffs then Tony did, cuz we need scoring off the bench....even in our horrible march slump, we still held teams to 90 pts...we need scorers...

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

If he stays with the C's and keeps working on his defense, I think VW has a chance to be much better than TA. Remember, TA has had multiple knee injuries / surgery's, his lift will never be what it was, prior to those injuries /surgery's.

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from edcap99. Show edcap99's posts

Wafer has the potential to be better than TA because of his offensive capabilities. Wafer though lacks playing experience and has a tendency towards poor shot selection. TA's defense though is a proven commodity that, in my opinion, outshines Wafer's scrambling defense and inconsistent shooting. If we're talking about the playoffs right now, I'd play TA over Wafer (if they were both on the same team) because of his "D". I can live with his bonehead plays.

25. This post has been removed.