Isaiah Austin may be the best center in the draft actually

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaCeltics. Show DaCeltics's posts

Isaiah Austin may be the best center in the draft actually

He has more skill than Embiid. All he has to do is get stronger and he will be a force in the NBA!

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

Re: Isaiah Austin may be the best center in the draft actually

Hey - how's DH doing with the lakers mossad??

"Climb on my back, boys, and I'll take you home." - Cedric Maxwell

"You show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." - Red Auerbach

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." - Hedley Lamarr

If no Bynum injury, no Gasol trade - last word!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiggerThanMyBrady. Show BiggerThanMyBrady's posts

Dude is a walking ACL tear. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from genaro008. Show genaro008's posts

2nd Round I would be ok with it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaCeltics. Show DaCeltics's posts

I remeber when Tyson Chandler was a top 3 pick and he did not have the skills of an Isaiah Austin.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrBoogiebone. Show DrBoogiebone's posts

College is one thing. the NBA is a whole other level to play with just 1 eye. I wish him success though.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

Trust me DaC...if DA does manage to move up (which has a better chance of happening than us getting Love), given the choice of Embiid or Austin, who do you REALLY think he'd pick?  C'mon man.....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaCeltics. Show DaCeltics's posts

I am just saying that Austin has almost as good a chance to be as good as Embiid in the end.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

In response to DaCeltics' comment:

I am just saying that Austin has almost as good a chance to be as good as Embiid in the end.

Ahh..nope

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

Man, you make a lot of bold and not very good statements.

Austin wasn't even that dominant in college. All he seemed to do was hose up 3s.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaCeltics. Show DaCeltics's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:

Man, you make a lot of bold and not very good statements.

Austin wasn't even that dominant in college. All he seemed to do was hose up 3s.

Austin & Olynyk would be the best tandem of stretch 5's in the World! The other teams shotblocker would be neutralized! (For example: Dwight Howard, Andre Drummond, and other centers that look bad in perimeter defense)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaCeltics. Show DaCeltics's posts

And Austin and Olynyk a great passers from the top.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

DaCeltics, you my man,but even a man blind in one eye, can see Austin is no Embiid!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaCeltics. Show DaCeltics's posts

In response to kyceltic's comment:

DaCeltics, you my man,but even a man blind in one eye, can see Austin is no Embiid!

Compare their blocks stats and watch Austin shake and bake Embiid on youtube! and Kaminsky!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaCeltics. Show DaCeltics's posts

Did you see Austin stuff Embiid TWICE IN ONE POSSESSION? draftexpress scouting video for 2014. Beats Embiid off the dribble too making him look silly.

Posted up Embiid and Randle and USED THEM!

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from CubanPete. Show CubanPete's posts

He has more skill than Embiid. All he has to do is get stronger and he will be a force in the NBA!

Austin is a guard in a big man's body.

Here are the comps from 2013-14:

DRB%

Austin: 11.4 (I should just stop here, but I'll continue)

Embiid: 20.5

Block%

Austin: 11.8

Embiid: 11.7

Steal%

Austin: 1.0

Embiid: 2.3

True Shooting%

Austin: .513

Embiid: .655

eFG%

Austin: .474

Embiid: .629

Points/40min

Austin: 16.0

Embiid: 19.4

FTA/40min

Austin: 5.3

Embiid: 8.8

Austin is a string bean who shies from contact on film. He's projected to go into the 2nd round.

Do your research before you make posts like this.

...the King of the Rumba Beat...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaCeltics. Show DaCeltics's posts

In response to CubanPete's comment:

DRB%

Block%

Steal%

True Shooting%

eFG%

Points/40min

FTA/40min

Austin is a string bean who shies from contact on film. He's projected to go into the 2nd round.

Those stats don't change the fact that Austin stuffed Embiid back to back on the same possession and routinely got the best of him and Randle and Kaminsky on offense.

? , How does a guard have a better block% than Embiid?

Didn't think that through Pete.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

In response to Mployee8's comment:

In response to kyceltic's comment:

Compare their blocks stats and watch Austin shake and bake Embiid on youtube! and Kaminsky!

"even a man blind in one eye" ..... Very Good!!!

I was going for a little message board humor. I think you're the only one who got it.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiggerThanMyBrady. Show BiggerThanMyBrady's posts

If Cuban Pete wasn't enough, Embiid's basic stats are better than Austin's, and Embiid played 5 less minutes per game. He also is a year younger than Austin and weighs 25 more pounds. Embiid also has a better wingspan, despite being a half inch shorter. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

Austin & Olynyk would be the best tandem of stretch 5's in the World! The other teams shotblocker would be neutralized! (For example: Dwight Howard, Andre Drummond, and other centers that look bad in perimeter defense)

Okay, so you let the big men shoot the ball like teams do with Bosh... Big men aren't dead eye shooters so they wont hit every single open look like actual shooters.

And those Howard's, Drummond's and big Centers will just turn their back and back down both of these small scrawny big men that everyone likes. Embiid at least has huge potential as a post scorer and defender. Austin just relies on length to block shots. He wasn't even the best rebounder on the team (Gathers was).

We don't need a 5 that can shoot. We need a 5 that can anchor the paint and score on occasion in the post over the Howard's of the league.

Sorry, but the NBA draft isn't a real crapshoot like the NFL or MLB draft. The scouts can look at the guy and say what he will be able to do in the NBA. If Isaiah Austin is a projected 2nd rounder, that means he's really not that good.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from gman101019. Show gman101019's posts

He is a half blind channing frye.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from CubanPete. Show CubanPete's posts

In response to CubanPete's comment:

DRB%

Block%

Steal%

True Shooting%

eFG%

Points/40min

FTA/40min

Those stats don't change the fact that Austin stuffed Embiid back to back on the same possession and routinely got the best of him and Randle and Kaminsky on offense.

? , How does a guard have a better block% than Embiid?

Didn't think that through Pete.

Yes, anecdotal evidence trumps relevant stats any day.

Better by .1%? You got me. OTOH, Austin has freakish physical attributes: an incredible 9'4.5" SR and a 7'4.5" wingspan. With those measurables, I would expect a wider gap in block rates.

He's skinny, can't rebound, and avoids contact.

Here's what the scouts say...

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft/results/players/news/_/id/19796/isaiah-austin" rel="nofollow">http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft/results/players/news/_/id/19796/isaiah-austin

• Apr 22 Update: Austin announced he's declaring for the 2014 NBA Draft. Austin was once ranked as a Top 10 pick as an incoming freshman. Blessed with size, athleticism and a skill set that allows him to play both inside and on the perimeter, he was thought of as an elite NBA prospect. But two years of mediocre production at Baylor have really damaged his stock. He lacks strength, lacks a real position on the floor and can be very inconsistent. While he has upside, he?s a likely second round pick unless he really turns it on during workouts.
    • Mar 20 Update: Austin was once considered a top-10 pick. Indeed, how often do versatile, athletic 7-footers who can score inside and shoot 3-pointers come along? But his inconsistency has devastated his stock. He doesn't look strong enough or tough enough to get it done in the paint, and his touted outside jumper just hasn't fallen in two seasons.
    • Dec 2 Update: Speaking of coming back, it's a good thing Austin decided to skip the 2013 draft and return to Baylor for his sophomore season. A shoulder injury tipped the scales for Austin this summer, but it might have been a blessing in disguise. Had he declared for the draft, not only would he have likely slipped into the second round, but he would've been years away from contributing at the NBA level. Austin is back this year and looks, unfortunately, much like the player we saw last year. He's oozing with size, skill and athletic ability, but it's smothered by the fact that Austin is too weak to play in the post and not polished enough to make a living on the perimeter. What he's left doing is dunking over smaller opponents and blocking shots. He's averaging just 5.5 RPG and his scoring numbers are down nearly three points per game this season. Every scout I spoke with in Maui believes he's going to need at the very least one more year in school.
    • Nov 27 Update: Isaiah Austin looks like a lottery pick in warm-ups. Just the actual games against men he struggles with. Doubt he's first rounder right now. Austin is probably going to have to stay all four years at this rate. Great size, athleticism and skill. But zero toughness and a body that won't hold up in the NBA.
    • Nov. 12 Update: Austin has the pedigree and size to be much higher on the list. It's all about production and fit right now for him. But his opening game against Colorado was a disappointment. He scored just five points and four rebounds in 27 minutes. He's going to have to play much better to justify this ranking.
    • Nov. 8 Update: Austin also draws some dissension among scouts. He is very skilled for a 7-footer. But his thin body and lack of toughness in the paint, combined with a fairly pedestrian perimeter game, turned off a lot of scouts last year. If he decides to man up and play in the paint, or if he really improves his jump shot, his stock will rise. But those are big questions right now.
    • Sept 9 Update: If the Magic go with a point guard with their first pick, adding another big man to the roster would make sense at No. 20. Austin is another player who isn't garnering much consensus at this point. Some see him as a lottery pick. Others see him in the second round. Given his size and emerging skill set, he might be worth the gamble here.
    • Aug 13 Update: Austin was ranked as a lottery pick at the start of last season, but the more scouts saw of him the more questions they had. He has great size and is very skilled for a big man. But his thin frame and stuck-in-between game have really hurt his stock. Is he a 5 or a 4? Right now hes neither, and until he starts to thrive at one or the other, scouts will continue to see him as a tweener.

Sections
Shortcuts