It's a One Year Rental

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from sinus007. Show sinus007's posts

Re: It's a One Year Rental

In Response to Re: It's a One Year Rental:
    Here are 5 points on this subject that are pretty simple to grasp for anyone with a clue about the game: 1. OKC is still the team to beat in the West. LA added a PG with back issues who will be 39 in the playoffs, that does nothing to stop Westbrook who will destroy Nash. LA added a C with back issues who was often neutralized by Perk in the '09/'10 playoffs. If Perk is healthy and playing at that level the addition of Howard over Bynum (who avg'd a 17/11/2 vs. OKC games 1-4 before checking out in game 5) is a downgrade vs. OKC b/c Bynum was historically a harder matchup for Perk (and Duncan as well). 2. If he doesn't win the title this year Dwight has a big decision to make, although ultimately he will prob stay in LA like DWill in Brooklyn... but LA will have no youth, draft picks and 4 fading 'names' on the '13-'14 roster. Even if Kobe doesn't retire to go to Europe after next season, his mere presence on the '14 team at even a KG like 11-12 million per extension will give LA only 5-10 million in cap space (if Howard signs a max extension) not enough to revamp a contender or get past OKC (assuming they can keep Perk, Ibaka and Harden). 3. The Celtics built a lineup to beat the Heat this summer. They currently have a 54-58 win team that can give Miami a run for its money. They can't even get to the finals without beating the Heat. In '11 the C's went big to potentially matchup with LA and it blew up in their faces. Now they have a DEEP, young, scary lineup that can go blow for blow with the champs who they almost beat with a injury decimated crew. The C's improved more from the teams on the floor in games 5-7 of the ECF than the Heat did (even with Ray). Celtics are 1 move (swapping Bass for a better D/reb big) away from being a 58-64 win team and possibly even FAVORED to win the title. 4. Currently the Celtics have done more to beat the team that ousted them the last 2 years than LA has done to get past OKC, who outclassed them a year ago. The Heat and Thunder remain the teams to beat in each conference with the C's, Lakers and Spurs rounding out a top 5 that should be noticeably better than the next tier of 10 teams or so all bunched up and going for seeds in the 3-6 range all all capable 2nd round talents with ZERO title hopes (unless Rose is a miracle healer). 5. LA fans really need to cool their jets until they see how these backs hold up from Nash/Howard, how the personalities and ego's all mesh, if Artest can keep his head as his skills further decline and how Kobe and Gasol, now solidly on the decline, respond after playing in the Olympics. Oh and their coach is still outwitted by any decent mind in the game and doesn't come close to having the personality to solve any ego problems.
    Posted by rameakap

Ramekap,
    Good post. Thanks. 100% agree.

AK

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Rameakap,
    Good to see you back.  I especially see and agree with your point that we were built to beat the Heat or an OKC this off season.  The odd thing about the Howard trade is that it changed the dynamic in the East. Bynum and Lavoy Allen will now be a difficult match up for KG.  So difficult it is hard to see how we can thrive in a front court battle with them.  We have the advantage in the backcourt with all these teams.  

They should have added a rebounder and did not. Varajeo is out there and you have wonder if not a guy like him, who gets us past a tough playoff series in Philly or even LA in June. We need help in the frontcourt unless Melo is the greatest the surprise in the NBA this year.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Ram.....you are dealing with a troll that only wants to bait you to get his/her rocks off....the content of the posts are just like reading "The Enquirer" or any other tabloid......no substance...just a bunch of B.S. to get a reaction from the reader....probably another teenager to boot....I'd suggest backing off and looking to converse with intelligent posters....just my opinion pal....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Great points ram....I am totally on board pal...!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

In Response to Re: It's a One Year Rental : Thanks Concord, spent the last week moving/vacationing across the country Varejao is the name I feel strongest about, he is the guy that pushes us from 55 win 2-3 seed that loses another game 7 in Miami to 60 win possible 1 seed with the frontcourt to beat Miami and whoever they face in the finals 
    Posted by rameakap

Regarding Varajeo what do you think it would take to get him? 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

In Response to It's a One Year Rental:
    Marc Stein:  If L.A. does not work out for Dwight, says source briefed on his thinking, he knows "Dallas will be there for him."  Mavs will have cap space  Twitter
    Posted by Fiercest34

I'm thinking that Kobe won't be happy when Mike Brown tries to impress upon everyone that a Nash-Howard pick-and-roll should be the mainstay of the offense (Nash as the best handler and passer; Howard as the athletic pick-setter and cutter). And then there's Gasol who's #4 now.

Best case: they all stay healthy, Nash somehow makes it all work, and they have a tough time with teams with deeper benches than 35yo Antawn Jamison and Jordan Hillol

Worst case: Nash or Howard has back problems and they realize that the game is played with only one basketball and Kobe can't always have it. Howard wants to be the man. Nash wants to be the ball handler and should be. Kobe works best in isolations. Gasol wants touches. It almost as easily be the Carmelo-Amar'e Knicks, West Coast edition.

Prediction: They get ousted in the second round by the Nuggets who are deep and can match their size, the Spurs who are also deep and can match their size (added bonus: a free throw shooting contest between Splitter and Howard), or the Thunder (who only have Collison and Harden off the bench, but are athletic, more experienced, and have Perkins to help negate Howard)

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from lakerfaker. Show lakerfaker's posts

In Response to Re: It's a One Year Rental : ROTLMAO!!!! I guess he will come to my Celtics then considering we have a total of 1 title in the past 25 years.  UGH!!!
    Posted by GoGREEN!

As bad as I hate to say it my Lakers have had at least 2 championships given to us. The Sacremento debacle was total embarrassment and was the 4 quarter of game seven agains the Celtics.  I would say it goes both ways but I have never seen the Celtics get anything like those games given to them.  Ughhh!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

In Response to It's a One Year Rental : I'm thinking that Kobe won't be happy when Mike Brown tries to impress upon everyone that a Nash-Howard pick-and-roll should be the mainstay of the offense (Nash as the best handler and passer; Howard as the athletic pick-setter and cutter). And then there's Gasol who's #4 now. Best case : they all stay healthy, Nash somehow makes it all work, and they have a tough time with teams with deeper benches than 35yo Antawn Jamison and Jordan Hillol Worst case : Nash or Howard has back problems and they realize that the game is played with only one basketball and Kobe can't always have it. Howard wants to be the man. Nash wants to be the ball handler and should be. Kobe works best in isolations. Gasol wants touches. It almost as easily be the Carmelo-Amar'e Knicks, West Coast edition. Prediction : They get ousted in the second round by the Nuggets who are deep and can match their size, the Spurs who are also deep and can match their size (added bonus: a free throw shooting contest between Splitter and Howard), or the Thunder (who only have Collison and Harden off the bench, but are athletic, more experienced, and have Perkins to help negate Howard)
    Posted by Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188

Varajeo if healthy would become the single most popular fan favorite in recent history. His game of flying around to get rebounds and put backs is what we have not had for this whole era since 2007.  We need it now to win.  Garnett and he would antagonize and irritate other players like no one else.  Melo does not appear to be Ratliffe at this point but it is a roll of the dice as you say.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHEisCHE. Show CHEisCHE's posts

Marc Stein: If L.A. does not work out for Dwight, says source briefed on his thinking, he knows "Dallas will be there for him." Mavs will have cap space Twitter

this SOB will not stop mentioning Dwight --- fooooking over.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from debrit. Show debrit's posts

In Response to Re: It's a One Year Rental : That's exactly why the Lakers will continue to win championships. Once Kobe's contract is up, there will be A TON of extra money to be used to lure addtional star players. They'll be building around Dwight Howard. Didn't you learn ANYTHING. MITCH KUPCHAK is our GM! Don't think he's not already crunching numbers, looking at potential free agents and trade partners. I never wavered in my opinion that Mitch would put together a competitive team despite salary restrictions and the other owners trying to make it impossible for them to bring in more talent.
    Posted by Qdaddy

Are you aware that Howard just had back surgery? who knows how it will hold up during the seasson? rumors are that will not be ready for the start of the seasson.My point is that every team hve some healthy issues,not only the celtics.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from LakerFan67. Show LakerFan67's posts

Lets see, first the posts where about the Lakers having no shot at acquiring Dwight Howard. Now all these Boston myops are guaranteeing that Howard will bolt at the end of the season.

Thanks for caring soooo much about what happens in Lakerland. Oh, and to know what the future will bring, I come to this board to be "enlightened" by Boston posters with a crystal ball who guarantee all of these developments--from Kobe going down with an injury, to Howard unable to co-exist, to Nash dying before the season begins.

Can you tell me how many titles Boston has won in the last 20 years? If you guys were so great at predicting future events then why didn't you stop Len Bias from the cocaine that led to his untimely death? 

Predictions are total garbage because anything can happen between now and the end of next season. ANYTHING! So keep lying to yourselves about the horrible future for the Lakers and the utopia for the Celts. Huh huh  huh  :)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

In Response to Re: It's a One Year Rental : You hit the nail right on the head green. DH has not had a team like this around him and the league is going to find out this season just how good the Lakers have become. Great reading your posts, your a credit to the true Celtics fan club.
    Posted by The Big4

my only concern (and it should be very real to Lakers fans) would be a repeat of the 2004 too-many-stars-for-one-basketball dilemma where they made it to the Finals and lost to one of the better defenses of all time.

I think they'll have a herky jerky first year with flashes, like the Heat. Then fall short due to the inconsistency and growing pains, like the Heat. They'll be running two or three offenses: one for the Nash-Howard pick and roll, one for when Kobe wants his isolation looks, and one that keeps Pau Gasol engaged

But I like their chances if they can hold it together chemistry-wise and keep Howard.

My worst fear is that the Lakers turn Gasol into Josh Smith. Howard-Smith-Artest-Kobe would be one of the better defenses in the league.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from shonasty. Show shonasty's posts

And furthermore my point is that LA's improvements are actually of little use against their main rival, the Thunder. Perkins would rather play Howard than Bynum every day of the week.

You sure like to put stock in this singular point. Sure, Perkins does pretty well against Howard in the low block. I will even concede the point that Perkins does better defensively in the low post on Howard than he does against Bynum. I can even see how a Celtics fan could belabor the point as a justification for why this trade doesn't help the Lakers against Oklahoma. But what you don't touch upon, is the attrocious pick and roll defense that Bynum plays. This is where Oklahoma killed the Lakers, beat them like a drum. This is where the Lakers make up ground, they go from very poor, to very good, maybe the best. The best defensive player in the game is now roaming the paint for LA. Bynum played defense in spurts, and even then could not show on the PnR, and if he tried he couldn't get back. They turned big Bynum into a turnstyle, it was ugly.

On offense, Bynum and Gasols's game did not quite fit, and this was magnified with attrocious point gard play, completely exposed, butt naked, when they jettisoned the triangle offense. With the addition of Steve Nash, one of the elite pick and roll players in the NBA, and Gasol and Howard both being really elite level PnR bigs, the offensive dynamic goes so much deeper than "Perkins does better against Bynum." Bynum was too immobile to be anything but a back to the basket, low post offesive threat, the options were limited, and it hurt Gasol's game. This is now remedied, and the jump in athletisism, and mobility, along with a playmaker like Nash makes this frontcourt much more challenging for everyone to defend, including OKC. 

In a seven game series, the Lakers are going to have options and skillsets to play with that didn't exist in the last go around, so when this chess match starts, mismatches and easy buckets are going to be so much easier to find over the course of the series for the Lakers this time. This is a team sport, and simplifying the frontcort battle to "Perkins would rather play Howard" is just a plain old silly theory. You win championships with defense and rebounding, both have improved, kind of telling, this dynamic didn't make the cut, in your diatribe.

And while Westbrook may not enjoy seeing Nash hit a few clutch shots and not wet hit pants under pressure like Sessions did, he would MUCH rather have Nash guarding him on D than the athletic and young Ramon. So really... LA is better equipped to beat SA perhaps, or the Clips, or the Grizz... but they are not better off against the team who whipped them last year.

Not better off? You cherry pick to make your points in a debate, but this is basketball, not a debate club, and while biased Celtics fans can get on this line of thinking and buy in, the reality is likely to be another rude awakening for everyone not with the Purple and Gold. 

Did you watch the Lakers point guards play last year? There was no worse point guard play in the entire NBA. 

Ramon Sessions might be a fast, athletic guy, but he does not have a clue how to play defense. He has no lateral quickness, and was a defensive mess on a good day. When comparing the defensive metrics of Sessions to Nash at Synergy from last year, Sessions was worse in every defensive category, even with Nash in his late 30's.  And lets not pretend, nobody can stay in front of Westbrook, nobody. 

Team defense is how you defend for championships, and the front court guys protecting the rim behind Nash will now be among the best, and as a team, the Lakers defense will be better, against everyone, including the Thunder. To insinuate that adding a DPOY center into the equation means worse defense is a silly insinuation when you are coming off Fisher and Sessions at the point. 

On the offensive side of the ball, the Lakers go from bottom feeder to elite point guard play. Steve Nash is one of the best shooters and pick and roll men in the NBA, and this is hardly worth mentioning in your analysis? Steve Nash makes everyone around him better, more efficient. This has been the case his entire career. This means elite level PnR with Nash-Gasol, Nash-Howard, and Nash-Kobe, and coming from non existent PnR play, this is significant, as the triangle is gone. 

Of course, the Celtics opinion is bad back, bad back, bad back, even though he doesn't miss games, and is still among the league leaders for assists, can shoot the lights out, and he might still be the best at orchestrating an offense. For all this talk about his back, he played in more games last season than the young and spry Rondo, and doesn't carry the baggage of .238 from three. Here among the Celtics faithful, you are all trying to conjure up in your minds, a player who can't get up and down the court, because he is hobbled and can't run, but you will learn how wrongheaded this line is.

And then there is the elephant in the room no one talks about. Last year was a logistical nightmare for every team in the league, but for the Lakers, it was much worse than any of the "contending" teams. While I am not here looking for sympathy, and know there will be none, this is still the reality. The Lakers started the season off having the Chris Paul trade vetoed, which cost them Lamar Odom, and screwed up the chemistry. Then they had to move away from the triangle, to a conventional offense, new systems all around, and no time to make the transition, or practice time to improve upon it. Then they changed point guards mid season to a guy who never played on a big stage, and was overwhelmed in the play-offs, since he never played a playoff game before. Execution on both sides of the ball was bad, so imagine how not shocking it was not to get past a team like OKC. No better off? Perish that thought, because that is a ridiculous thing to say.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PierceIsTheTruth. Show PierceIsTheTruth's posts

idk howard just bought a 20 million dollar mansion in newport beach.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

In Response to Re: It's a One Year Rental : I'd imagine that Boston would welcome any of our Big4 into their team. I love The Spaniard, the beat down he put on Garnett in the '10 Finals was a sight to behold. How he works in with the new Laker team will be interesting but from what I've heard so far from hmi and what I saw in the Olympics, bring it on!
    Posted by The Big4

you mean the year Garnett came back from knee surgery? the year before the Spaniard's numbers fell off a cliff? And they won by 4 points only because of 27 free throws in one quarter? and they still have one less championship than the Celtics despite the fact that the Celtics took the 90's and early 2000's off?

That year?

lol they should be very good, but there's real risk. We'll see - that's why they play the games

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Qdaddy. Show Qdaddy's posts

Daddy....you and I are usually on the same page....but on this one I have to disagree.....DH is a freakish athlete but has limited offensive skills.....he is showing that he can be very immature to the point of looking like a head case....he is definitely not a team leader (more like a coach killer)....don't get me wrong....I happen to like Dwight a lot....but a franchise player needs to do everything well and be a leader of men.....Kobe has shown that he has it...Dwight has not....at least not to this point as he enters his 9th season in the league I think both of our teams have improved themselves.....you just exchanged the second best center for the number one guy.....and got a classy albeit old point guard....Danny has transitioned our team seemingly overnight....much deeper and much younger....hopefully Sully is the steal of the draft....either way, we are both contenders....provably each #2 in it's conference.......good luck this year buddy....it should be fun...!!
    Posted by Duke4

Duke, sometimes a player needs a change of scenery in order to reach his potential. Bynum didn't become the beast he has until he started getting coached by Kareem Abdul Jabbar. I'm not sure that's part of the Lakers plan, but just being around a "championship" environment, with all those banners hanging from the rafters, could have a huge impace on Howard's "mental" approach. I certainly don't believe Kobe is a "leader" in the truest sense, because a leader wouldn't have thrown his teammates under the bus the way he did a few years ago. But NOBODY questions his work ethic. Howard will be able to take the best from Kobe, Gasol and Nash and develop a better approach to the game.

Dwight has been an outstanding player despite not having the supporting cast that he NOW has. The pick and roll is Nash's specialty and Howard is going to thrive because of it.

You're selling the Lakers short on this one. That's okay. They haven't played a game yet. But I think you and everyone in the league is going to see a real juggearnaut team.

I think DA did a very good job of keeping the C's a threat in the East, considering his resources. I think they're still capable of getting to the conference finals, but that's where it will end. Miami, as much as hate them, is still the best out there. And if the C's somehow pulled the "major" upset and beat them, they'll have to face either OKC or the Lakers. OKC has the young horses and the Lakers have an inside/outside game with a couple of trees up front. The Celtics won't get past either of those teams.

Of course this is all speculation. I'm looking forward to the upcoming season where it will all play out. Good luck to you and your team.

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts