It's all about D these days

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from celticsfanmx. Show celticsfanmx's posts

It's all about D these days

I don't know if you guys have been reading what the media says on NBA teams these days. I have, and you may agree with me when I say that lately everyone is paying attention to defense: how to improve it, how to bring it, how to keep it up. The NBA wasn't like that a few years ago and I'm starting to think they owe it to the Celtics which brought it back to the headlines with their accomplishments in 2008.

Just read what the dudes at ESPN are saying about Dallas beating NO thanks to their tight defense, and how Spoelstra's big objectives for MIA are team chemistry and defense... you see the trend or I'm alone on this one?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TeamUmbutu. Show TeamUmbutu's posts

Re: It's all about D these days

I agree,

To beat the Celtics, a team needs to play great defense, because the Celtics ususually do. Offense comes and goes, while defense can be brought every game, if the referees allow normal play.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Qdaddy. Show Qdaddy's posts

In Response to Re: It's all about D these days:
    [QUOTE]I agree, To beat the Celtics, a team needs to play great defense, because the Celtics ususually do. Offense comes and goes, while defense can be brought every game, if the referees allow normal play.
    Posted by TeamUmbutu[/QUOTE]

Similar to what the Lakers did against the C's in the Finals.

Couldn't agree more.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Yes, the Celtics brought back the "D" with the advent of the "Big 3"

2007/08 Lakers averaged 108.6 ppg in the regular season (4th)

they averaged 93.8 vs. Boston....went over 100 pts twice....never hit their regular season average and lost in 6...

2009/10 Lakers averaged 101.7 ppg (12th)....went over 100 pts once and averaged 90.5 ppg in beating Boston in 7...

I think the Lakers are currently averaging around 115 ppg (off the top of my head)....Western Conference style.....but it changes when Boston is involved...

Celtics and Lakers have played 13 games in the finals vs each other over the last 3 years....each has a title....Celts have 7 wins....Lakers have 6....these teams may differ in style but they are so close in talent, desire, and effort...my hat's off to both of them

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Qdaddy. Show Qdaddy's posts

[QUOTE]Yes, the Celtics brought back the "D" with the advent of the "Big 3" 2007/08 Lakers averaged 108.6 ppg in the regular season (4th) they averaged 93.8 vs. Boston....went over 100 pts twice....never hit their regular season average and lost in 6... 2009/10 Lakers averaged 101.7 ppg (12th)....went over 100 pts once and averaged 90.5 ppg in beating Boston in 7... I think the Lakers are currently averaging around 115 ppg (off the top of my head)....Western Conference style.....but it changes when Boston is involved... Celtics and Lakers have played 13 games in the finals vs each other over the last 3 years....each has a title....Celts have 7 wins....Lakers have 6....these teams may differ in style but they are so close in talent, desire, and effort...my hat's off to both of them
    Posted by Duke4[/QUOTE]

Still the two best franchises in the league...despite what those clowns in South Beach say.

The C's have already proven that they're the best in the East. We need to get this regular season over so we can watch another classic battle between the Lakers and Celtics.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHEisCHE. Show CHEisCHE's posts

There is a fine print on the defense that you are talking about.

Defense is a hard job compare to Offense.
    Defense requires lots of physical and emotional tolerance to the game.

How can you possibly execute the best defense if Stern countered
        un-nesessary rules that will take away your ability to hype or psych yourself ?

Just one phantom whistle will kill your ability to defend.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: It's all about D these days : Similar to what the Lakers did against the C's in the Finals. Couldn't agree more.
    Posted by Qdaddy[/QUOTE]

What the Lakers did to the Celtics in the Finals was take Perk out of the equation.

Don't believe me? Who was leading 3-2 in the Finals when Perk was still healthy?

Still don't believe me? Back in 2008 the Lakers beat the Celtics in Game 5 of the Finals at LA. Who was the Boston Celtics starter that did not play in that Game 5?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Q, I agree with you on this one buddy!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Qdaddy. Show Qdaddy's posts

[QUOTE]Q, I agree with you on this one buddy!!
    Posted by Duke4[/QUOTE]

Yeah Duke, the Finals can't get here fast enough. The only thing that can ruin it is a major injury to the core of these teams. The Hear are looking less and less like the team to beat.

Lakers and C's will put on a show.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Qdaddy. Show Qdaddy's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: It's all about D these days : What the Lakers did to the Celtics in the Finals was take Perk out of the equation. Don't believe me? Who was leading 3-2 in the Finals when Perk was still healthy? Still don't believe me? Back in 2008 the Lakers beat the Celtics in Game 5 of the Finals at LA. Who was the Boston Celtics starter that did not play in that Game 5?
    Posted by P34[/QUOTE]

You really need to stop your whining. You're giving the Celtic's fan base a bad name.

Injuries happen. Neither Kobe, nor any other Laker intentionally tried to hurt another player. The fact that the C's led 3-2 means absolutely nothing. The fact is that the C's couldn't "close out" the Lakers in LA. Great teams do that.

The '08 season, the C's were hungrier, Gasol had only been with the team for a few months and we were without Andrew. Andrew played last year, at least on one good leg. If he's healthy during the finals, I expect the Lakers to win their third in a row. Neither Shaq, JON, nor Perkins can contain a healthy Bynum.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: It's all about D these days : You really need to stop your whining. You're giving the Celtic's fan base a bad name. Injuries happen. Neither Kobe, nor any other Laker intentionally tried to hurt another player. The fact that the C's led 3-2 means absolutely nothing. The fact is that the C's couldn't "close out" the Lakers in LA. Great teams do that. The '08 season, the C's were hungrier, Gasol had only been with the team for a few months and we were without Andrew. Andrew played last year, at least on one good leg. If he's healthy during the finals, I expect the Lakers to win their third in a row. Neither Shaq, JON, nor Perkins can contain a healthy Bynum.
    Posted by Qdaddy[/QUOTE]

I'm not whining, I'm stating facts. I agree with you that the Celtics couldn't close it out in Game 7. No excuses for that loss. But it won't change the fact that from the video replay, Kobe nudged Perk when Perk was about to grab the ball. You can't deny that fact, the video clearly shows it.

If Bynum is healthy? If Perk played in Game 7...

Stop with the ifs, Bynum and Oden have something in common, they have Sam Bowie's genes. 

HAHAHA!!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUMcHale. Show RUMcHale's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: It's all about D these days : I'm not whining, I'm stating facts. I agree with you that the Celtics couldn't close it out in Game 7. No excuses for that loss. But it won't change the fact that from the video replay, Kobe nudged Perk when Perk was about to grab the ball. You can't deny that fact, the video clearly shows it. If Bynum is healthy? If Perk played in Game 7... Stop with the ifs, Bynum and Oden have something in common, they have Sam Bowie's genes.  HAHAHA!!!
    Posted by P34[/QUOTE]

The Lakers went out and nullified a stiff like Perk who averages what....4-5 pts a game plus at least 1 technical.

Suuuuuure they did muahahahahahahahahaha!!

Tongue out

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ConnectingRod. Show ConnectingRod's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: It's all about D these days : The Lakers went out and nullified a stiff like Perk who averages what....4-5 pts a game plus at least 1 technical. Suuuuuure they did muahahahahahahahahaha!!
    Posted by RUMcHale[/QUOTE]

What a stupid reply... If Perk got 5 pts in Game 7 then the Celtics would have won. Dumbo!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: It's all about D these days : Similar to what the Lakers did against the C's in the Finals. Couldn't agree more.
    Posted by Qdaddy[/QUOTE]

Yep that has some home reffing and a few free throws.   Couldn't agree more.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TeamUmbutu. Show TeamUmbutu's posts

Qdaddy,

Two points-

1. There is no question that it was Kobe's knee placement as Perk came back down during a rebound resulted in Perks injury. While it is impossible to read peoples minds and accurately determine intentions, one has to wonder why Kobe was in that position and not jumping for the rebound. Was he sight seeing?

2. Since you could not agree more about my defense post, let me expound further. The second part of the post has a caveat that says: Offense comes and goes, while defense can be brought every game, if the referees allow normal play.

Clearly game one and game two were called more tightly than any other games in the 2010 playoffs. Why?

I can only look at the results. Since the Celtic Bigs were in foul trouble in the first quarter of game one, defense went out the window.

In game two, the game was also called very tightly but it was also called tightly against the Lakers. Kobe was in foul trouble as well. The difference was that in the second half, the Lakers felt that the referees would not dare to call foul number six on the Laker's star, and they were right. Again, defense went out the window for the first half, and only became a factor in the second half. the Celtics made adjustments to match the calling style of the game.

Games three through seven were called in a more normal style for NBA playoffs, and defense was more of a factor. Why?

Without Perk, the Celtic Defense was not the same.

Good news...

KG is back and looking for revenge. I think that Shaq has the same Idea.

With that in mind, I don't think it will matter how the referees call games.

See you in June.

Sections
Shortcuts