It's time to sign Shaq. There are no other options.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Waynestarr. Show Waynestarr's posts

Re: It's time to sign Shaq. There are no other options.

In total agreement.

Before his thumb injury, I thought he played well for the Cavs. He helped them nuetralize Bynum and Gasol in their season sweep of the Lakers, and helped them to the best record in the league.

Shaq would be just as effective against the bigs of the Lakers, Heat, and Magic if he played for the C's.

I think we need him badly and I wish Danny would be more aggressive in going for the good free agents.

I just don't feel the sense of urgency from him.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaktug. Show kaktug's posts

to be fair, there's no real reason any of us should feel a "sense of urgency". we knew this team had a 3-year window when we put it together in '07. it paid off in year-1. year-2 was derailed by KG's injury. and year-3 was pretty darn entertaining, even with all the injuries. anything we get from this point on should be considered gravy.

when the menage a trois formed in miami, danny and everyone else knew they were instantly the odds-on favorites to win it all. there was nothing we could do to stem that tide. so we're biding our time, riding out the next 2 years with the team we have in place, trying to add a few short-term pieces, knowing it's all going to be blown up in 2 years. 2 years from now, we'll be looking at rondo still in his prime and an aged paul pierce. everyone else will be gone. then we can rebuild around rajon.

if we somehow manage to make a miracle run to the finals again, i'll be beside myself, but i'm not counting on it. we are still extremely thin at the 2 and 3 positions. allen and pierce cannot play 35 minutes a game and remain strong late in the season. so as much as i'd like to see shaq in the middle shutting down howard and gasol, we need backups for ray and paul more in my opinion.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

I hope you two are right  because nothing seems right  about the deal you are proposing.  You are inviting a circus for next year.  My bet is he will be a problem for morale  or injured for most of the year. I would rather talk Rasheed into returning in March.  Shaq's skills will continue to decline dramatically.  I would rather use the Rasheed contract if he isn't returning for another player during the season.  DA has not performed any miracles thus far, Von Wafer was an admittance of that fact. We are stuck with what we have, but we did almost win a title.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from OscarGamble. Show OscarGamble's posts

Agree. Where else are they gonna find someone that can fill that one specific need better than Shaq? Center will be a problem situation until Perk get back. More importantly, it'll be past midseason when he returns and who knows how long it will take him to round into effectiveness? He pretty much seemed like a "no problems" guy in Cleveland last year.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

I agree, we need one more big and it may be Shaq. Who knows what Sheed is doing.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BuzyDizzyIzzy. Show BuzyDizzyIzzy's posts

I agree as well that we need to make Shaq a #1 priority. I also hope that Sheed comes back as well. If he does, then we use Perk in a S&T to get Shaq.

Im sorry but Perk was a good defensive center, but he was very slow, has poor hands(how many times have you seen him fumble a pass?)and cannot shoot free throws. He in reality is no more agile than Shaq is now. At least Shaq has good hands and about 75 more pounds and 3" more height. Shaq can give a solid 20 minutes a game. Having a rotation of big men that includes Shaq,JO,KG and Sheed and BBD adding energy even with most of them past their prime is still an intimidating force. Especially when you have 5 quality big men that can share time equally keeping minutes low and legs fresh.

Do a S&T for Perk/Shaq PLEASE! This is a NO BRAINER. You can even satisfy Shaq's desire for a starting role as JO has no probs coming off the bench. Use Shaq in the beginning of games to wear down opponents, then in the latter part of the game bring in JO for his excellent short and midrange shooting game(plus he hits ft's well).

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

I think Shaq's options are low now too. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mem17. Show mem17's posts

In response to Tompenny.
    I think the 2 and 3 spots are filled. Pierce, Daniels and Wafer. Wafer is 6'5 and 210 lbs. If he's a good defender, he should be effective defending other 3's. T.A played the 2 and 3 spot and he is 6'4 and 200-210 lbs. However T.A is a strong defender. Hopefully Wafer will become a good defender with the C's. Doc and K.G have a way of getting guys to play good D. Tom Thibedeau did also, but he's coaching the Bulls now.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from CelticFanLA. Show CelticFanLA's posts

It appears the Celts are interested in Shaq or Kwame Brown. If thats the case, Shaq hands down.

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/18672/latest-buzz-shaq-t-mac-more

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Waynestarr. Show Waynestarr's posts

In Response to Re: It's time to sign Shaq. There are no other options.:
    [QUOTE]It appears the Celts are interested in Shaq or Kwame Brown. If thats the case, Shaw hands down. http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/18672/latest-buzz-shaq-t-mac-more
    Posted by CelticFanLA[/QUOTE]

I agree.

If we get Shaq, I really think we could "squeak" our way to the NBA Finals again.

All doubters need to watch the 2 games the Cavs played and beat the Lakers. Shaq put both Bynum AND Gasol in COMPLETE check. I was simply amazed how effective he was against 2 of the best big men in the league. Go check the stats.

At this point in time, Kobe is FAR from my concern.

It's those 2 BIG TREES they have, that's our major concern, and I believe Shaq can get us over that hump one last time.

The window is closing fast. Let's try to get one more championship before the boat finally sinks.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

I think the Celtics could use Shaq in the middle.  If we were to pick up Shaq, I believe he would be slotted as the starter.  And if JON stays healthy in a backup role, we could take it slow bringing Perk back.  Having Shaq and JON man the middle for the first 3/4 months would be good.  Then add Perk to that mix with KG and Baby, I think we'd have a solid stable of big men who can play in various spots.

I like the thought of a front line of Shaq, KG and PP.  On the 2nd unit, we also could go with Shaq and JON, JON and Baby, Shaq and Baby, Perk and JON.  We'd have so many options in the post.

Sheed did bring something different to the center position with his 3 point shooting but he was more ineffective with that than he was effective during the season.  The Celtics have not had a post presence for years and it would be good to have one -- open things up for the perimeter players.

I also think we still need to get another 2/3.  We have to get a player on par with Quis and Wafer.  I just don't want them to be the only backups to Ray and PP, especially with Quis injury history.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SuperNtrain. Show SuperNtrain's posts

I agree as well that we need to make Shaq a #1 priority. I also hope that Sheed comes back as well. If he does, then we use Perk in a S&T to get Shaq.

Im sorry but Perk was a good defensive center, but he was very slow, has poor hands(how many times have you seen him fumble a pass?)and cannot shoot free throws. He in reality is no more agile than Shaq is now. At least Shaq has good hands and about 75 more pounds and 3" more height. Shaq can give a solid 20 minutes a game. Having a rotation of big men that includes Shaq,JO,KG and Sheed and BBD adding energy even with most of them past their prime is still an intimidating force. Especially when you have 5 quality big men that can share time equally keeping minutes low and legs fresh.

Do a S&T for Perk/Shaq PLEASE! This is a NO BRAINER. You can even satisfy Shaq's desire for a starting role as JO has no probs coming off the bench. Use Shaq in the beginning of games to wear down opponents, then in the latter part of the game bring in JO for his excellent short and midrange shooting game(plus he hits ft's well).

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from GregoBoston. Show GregoBoston's posts

I would rather trade Sheed's contract for someone younger and more athletic...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Waynestarr. Show Waynestarr's posts

[QUOTE]I agree as well that we need to make Shaq a #1 priority. I also hope that Sheed comes back as well. If he does, then we use Perk in a S&T to get Shaq.   Im sorry but Perk was a good defensive center, but he was very slow, has poor hands(how many times have you seen him fumble a pass?)and cannot shoot free throws. He in reality is no more agile than Shaq is now. At least Shaq has good hands and about 75 more pounds and 3" more height. Shaq can give a solid 20 minutes a game. Having a rotation of big men that includes Shaq,JO,KG and Sheed and BBD adding energy even with most of them past their prime is still an intimidating force. Especially when you have 5 quality big men that can share time equally keeping minutes low and legs fresh.   Do a S&T for Perk/Shaq PLEASE! This is a NO BRAINER. You can even satisfy Shaq's desire for a starting role as JO has no probs coming off the bench. Use Shaq in the beginning of games to wear down opponents, then in the latter part of the game bring in JO for his excellent short and midrange shooting game(plus he hits ft's well).
    Posted by SuperNtrain[/QUOTE]

In 10,000% agreement!!

Great post.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Waynestarr. Show Waynestarr's posts

[QUOTE]I would rather trade Sheed's contract for someone younger and more athletic...
    Posted by GregoBoston[/QUOTE]

But what TALENTED, younger, and athletic big man is available??

At this point in time, we have to take what we can get. As configured now, I doubt we get past the second round with all the YOUNGER and IMPROVED teams of the East.

We need Shaq as "The Enforcer" down in the paint.

We were ranked in the early 20's in rebounds last season. With Shaq, we would move up that stat significantly, with Shaq bullying other bigs in the post.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from c.wright. Show c.wright's posts

Get Shaq....what are they waiting on, for something to fall out the
    sk?  size is important, know one is wasting time picking up players
    but the C's....I understand the financial part of the game but they
    need to make a move and now.
    This is one year coming up I am not too excited about basketball.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

The hold up is probably related to Sheed... one way or another.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mem17. Show mem17's posts

[QUOTE]The hold up is probably related to Sheed... one way or another.
    Posted by croc[/QUOTE]
       great picture of the 3 stooges Croc. I have a t'shirt with that picture on it.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

I've copied & pasted my post here from another post about Shaq.

There are a couple of other posts about should we try & get him. I was in favor of it and continue to be so.

A few negatives were that he's too old, not in shape, won't have the chemistry to fit in etc. Regarding being too old, he's not going to be required to play more minutes than our Big 3, the other older guys but regarding being in shape, I've read he's shed some pounds & looks like he's been on a very good training regiment. That, to me, shows some motivation he wants to play some more & play well & win a title. But what I really like and the Post was titled "Shaq wants to wear Green" and wanting to play with us is a big factor in how he'll perform.

I was happy we beat the Cavs but if not I would love to have had them beat the Lakers & their MVP, Kobe. Regarding him fitting in with our guys, I remind you that he and Kobe were never good friends and wouldn't even shake hands sometimes after victories yet they won 3 titles together from 2000-2002. Shaq was MVP in all 3 and I'm sure Kobe was not pleased as he'd probably have passed Michael Jordan by now if he'd won 1-2 of them. Kobe, too, was influential in Shaq leaving the Lakers in an almost he go or I go ultimatum. Shaq went on and won another title with Miami. Kobe in an interview after this recent game 7 when asked about Shaq, said that he(Kobe) had one one ring that he had.

Soooo, I'd love and I bet Shaq would too to face the Lakers & Kobe in the finals next year as a Celtic & win another Ring & keep Kobe from one tying MJ & also not winning another MVP. He'd probably too like beating his old teammate, LeBron, in the Eastern playoffs with Miami.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeezem. Show jeezem's posts

would have loved to see Shaq play 20 minutes in game 7 for the Celtics, would have been a real game changer, just for rebounding, and someone motivated to put a couple quality hard fouls on the rodent.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from binbones. Show binbones's posts

ok...we do a s&t perk for shaq.....cavs  do not want HEAT to win a championship so cavs agree to wave perk.....perk re-signs with c's & is healthy enuff  to play in time for play-offs (finals).......now all those who want perk traded are happy....those who do not want perk traded  are happy......ditto for shaq......c's win #18.....BEAT L . A. ....BEAT L. A. ....BEAT L. A. .......

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from CelticsTillTheCasketDrops. Show CelticsTillTheCasketDrops's posts

sign shaq already stop beating around the bush danny ainge!

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

Please god no! We beat Celevland because of Shaq. He slows down offenses cannot run the floor and most importantly cannot defend the pick and roll. Teams feasted on him ofeensivley with the pick and roll.

Not to mention every team he has played for he has left on bad terms. He demands the ball too much when we need a guy setting screens to get Ray Allen open. he is 38-39 years old. Shaq is fools gold and there is a reason he is still out there. I'd rather see what we can get trading Shaq's contract. Heck I'd take Kwame in a heartbeat over him.

Sections
Shortcuts