J O will return next year!!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

J O will return next year!!

That is what he told CCSNE.com in a phone interview!! I was hoping that he would retire!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

Re: J O will return next year!!

In Response to J O will return next year!!:
     That is what he told CCSNE.com in a phone interview!! I was hoping that he would retire!!
    Posted by kyceltic

Let's see I can make 6 million dollars for doing nothing..... should I retire..... let me think on this for a while-nope.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gasthoerer. Show Gasthoerer's posts

I don't get you guys.

JO after he had surgery worked out hard. Came back in great shape and played hard defense. Bad luck with his wrist but that is nothing which will affect his game next year. Tell me a better player for that money to have on our rooster next year.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from caesarthecat. Show caesarthecat's posts

agree

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

Celtics hub has a great article on why this was an important thing to happen. Here is the link and a few highlights. I'm glad Jo is coming back:

http://celticshub.com/2011/05/19/the-importance-of-jermaine-oneal-returning-next-season/

Why does this team need O’Neal to return next season? A guy who only managed to play a career low 24 regular season games and is due a cool 6.2 million dollars next year. To put it bluntly, the C’s don’t have the means or the cap flexibility (future CBA chances notwithstanding) to replace him, and also make the other necessary upgrades to the team’s bench to improve the offense.

With over 58 million dollars committed to just five members of the roster already (not including J.O.) for the 2011-12 season, Danny Ainge’s back is already against the wall as far as flexibility is concerned.

If O’Neal returns, that number jumps up to 64.2 million, but essentially will have no effect on how much money the team has to spend this offseason. The only money Ainge has to spend as things stand right now with the current CBA:

Mid-Level Exception: Roughly 5-6 million
    Bi-Annual Exception: Around 2 million
    Veteran’s Minimum Contracts

For a team that needs to fill potentially fill up to 10 spots on its roster, that’s not a lot of cash to make the sufficient changes this team needs. Get bigger and more athletic upfront. Improve the offense. Reduce minutes for the Big Three. There’s a lot that has to be done.

Boston has bird rights on Big Baby, Jeff Green and Nenad Krstic, meaning they don’t have to spend the above pool of money specifically on those guys. Even if all of those three are re-signed, (possible but not probable) it still leaves plenty of holes. Delonte West needs to get paid (he will make more than veteran’s minimum next year) and the team still has to address the offense and athleticism.

Without O’Neal in the picture however, the options still remain the same. It just adds another major hole to fill in the middle. It also gives the C’s free agents a bit of leverage in negotiating their deals, knowing the team’s situation I just described above.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from wfdog. Show wfdog's posts

If we are going to be competitive next year, both JO & Kristic shouldn't be our starting center. If JO wants to come back for his final year, then he should become a more expensive version of PJ Brown.

I just hope DA doesn't come out and try to sell us that JO can be the new Perk playing limited minutes as the token starter next year because if/when he goes down again then it will be another devastating domino affect on the season.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

In Response to Re: J O will return next year!!:
    If we are going to be competitive next year, both JO & Kristic shouldn't be our starting center. If JO wants to come back for his final year, then he should become a more expensive version of PJ Brown. I just hope DA doesn't come out and try to sell us that JO can be the new Perk playing limited minutes as the token starter next year because if/when he goes down again then it will be another devastating domino affect on the season.
    Posted by wfdog

He doesn't come back we have to use the full mid level exception to replace him. meaning we can't do things like get more scoring off the bench. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from CubanPete. Show CubanPete's posts

If we are going to be competitive next year, both JO & Kristic shouldn't be our starting center. If JO wants to come back for his final year, then he should become a more expensive version of PJ Brown. I just hope DA doesn't come out and try to sell us that JO can be the new Perk playing limited minutes as the token starter next year because if/when he goes down again then it will be another devastating domino affect on the season.
    Posted by wfdog

- Perk sucks
    - The Cs weren't competive this season
    - KG and PP can't carry this team anymore and that's why they lost
    - another reason why they lost was that DA make the mistake of losing TA, who used to give LBJ fits in the playoffs. This year, James went unchecked.
    - The Cs won't be competitive next year regardless of what they do. DA won't jeporidize his financial flexability for the summer of 2012, and therefore, don't expect anything this summer, other than a series of 1 year contracts for reclamation projects.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

It could be worse Rico, It could be an owner who won't trade his center for the best in the league (Thaaaaaaank Yoooooooouuuuu Jimmmmy) 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaktug. Show kaktug's posts

rebuild, rebuild, rebuild. i wouldn't be shocked, or saddened, if we traded any of the big 3. love 'em, appreciate 'em, they'll always be celts in my book. but if we can trade any of them for value, i say do it.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrleftfoot. Show jrleftfoot's posts

In Response to J O will return next year!!:
    Posted by kyceltic

You were hoping we had no centers? Brilliant.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mem17. Show mem17's posts

I was hard on J.O early in the season because he came into camp over weight. No excuses for a professional to be out of shape. However after his knee surgery, he trained like a dedicated professional and came back in good condition. He earned some respect from me getting in good shape after his knee surgery. J.O has one year left on his contract. If he comes into camp in shape and stays healthy, he will be an important part of the Celtic's next season. He's turning 33, still relatively young for a big man. I say give him one more season. If he doesn't do well during the first half of the season, his expiring contract of 6 million will be attractive bait for a trade deadline trade.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

I must say that I am very pleased to hear that.  Danny will need to still find a solid solution at center.  Somebody who will be an improvement over Baby.  Actually, what is happening with Yao Ming?  Will he make sense on a 1-year contract?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonsucks69. Show bostonsucks69's posts

Jermaine O'Neal is made of glass. Just look at the amount of games he has played the last 5 years. What a waste of money. LOL!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In Response to Re: J O will return next year!! : - Perk sucks - The Cs weren't competive this season - KG and PP can't carry this team anymore and that's why they lost - another reason why they lost was that DA make the mistake of losing TA, who used to give LBJ fits in the playoffs. This year, James went unchecked. - The Cs won't be competitive next year regardless of what they do. DA won't jeporidize his financial flexability for the summer of 2012, and therefore, don't expect anything this summer, other than a series of 1 year contracts for reclamation projects.
    Posted by CubanPete

Tony Allen definitely could have helped the Celtics this season and in the future.  Danny did say that he regrets not resigning TA last year. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

ok, so after jerlame had surgery and two months of spa treatments, he did manage to play all the playoff games.  by the end of our playoff run, he was however visibly limping most of the time and his productivity fell off to the point where the last 3 games he really was not getting a lot done.

i really hope he retires or gets bought out.  he's not reliable.  at 24 regular season games played, he makes shak look durable.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gasthoerer. Show Gasthoerer's posts

Well, than lets see which center you would bring in without having any cap space! Suggestions?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

likely going to be a messy year at the 5.  re-upping semi-pro erden would be a good idea, not sure why we threw him away, his cap number was very small

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from greeneater2. Show greeneater2's posts

rebuild, rebuild, rebuild. i wouldn't be shocked, or saddened, if we traded any of the big 3. love 'em, appreciate 'em, they'll always be celts in my book. but if we can trade any of them for value, i say do it.
    Posted by kaktug

Guess you haven't been following what DA said after the season.  "Our big Three have a lot of ball left in them, I don't know how many points per game they will score, but they will be back."  If you read between the lines it means DA is saying two to three more years of the big three.  As far as JON is concerned he'll be back to suck up the easy money.  Do you know of any job that would hire him with his educational background, where there is six million lying on the table?  He'll be milking it out with the Celtics as long as possible.  Probably sign for the vet minimum after this contract is up.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from edcap99. Show edcap99's posts

No doubt JON will return to fulfill his contractual obligations so that he can collect his $6M salary. If he has any respect for the Celtics organization, he should call it quits before the draft and training camp just like Shaq did, and enable DA and Doc to make the necessary roster adjustments.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from maryngary. Show maryngary's posts

If he can lose a few pounds and get in good shape, he might help up a lot.

Sections
Shortcuts