Jackson says these games don't matter after the game today

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

Re: Jackson says these games don't matter after the game today

Hope so, but don't count on it...................koME runs that team not Phil, and, like it or not, he does not implode!

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Kobe won't get them past the Spurs or us in the present form.  I think the Thunder would give them all they can handle.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Icon11. Show Icon11's posts

I see Dallas going past the Lakers and them getting the three seed.  Don't forget the Lakers have played the easiest schedule in the NBA so far.  And of course these games matter.  Jackson is just doing the "we don't care that we lost" thing that is typical of a 6 year old.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from df2. Show df2's posts

I hate Jackson as much as anybody. And I would put him right up there with Lebron and Favre as one of the most overrated, classless figures in sports.

But he's right. To a point. As nice as it was to get a win against LA, it's January.

In the grand scheme of things, every win counts. If game 7 were in Boston last year, I really don't think the refs would have been so brazen- maybe it's a different game. So in the sense of home court advantage it matters. But so does every game.

In the sense of proving anything I don't think it matters. It's not going to matter when we see them in Boston in a month. And it certainly wont matter if we face them in the Finals.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from edcap99. Show edcap99's posts

Sounds a bit like sour grapes because the Lakers lost. However, he's actually right. Let's see what he says next time we beat them.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamezHill24. Show JamezHill24's posts

haha..you guys forget who this is..yes we are all die hard celtic fans, but lets remember, these are the lakers. they WILL be there in the finals. 

remember wat some of us were saying last yr? "we are playing terrible, theres no way we can make it in the playoffs"

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from cpjohn1. Show cpjohn1's posts

I would buy it except for the experts were saying before the game how much the Lakers wanted and NEEDED this game and how Kobe even beat Ray to the arena yesterday to practice before the game.  So, no, I'm not buying that these games don't matter.  If it was against some bad team, I would agree, but they were up for this game, just like the Celtics were, and they lost.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

The first thing I thought after the game was that the 2 guys sitting on the Celtics' bench (Harangody, Erden) would actually get significant minutes with this Lakers team.  Great front line the Lakers have, but that bench is thin. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pancakespwn. Show Pancakespwn's posts

If they lose to us again and both teams make it to the finals which there is a good likely hood of they will not be winning a championship this year without home court.

It was a deciding factor last year into how the games played and home court should be both teams number 1 priority. Phil Jackson is playing games or has gone senile. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

The game meant something for both teams considering last year.  You have to measure the  state of affairs with something.  But the season is at the halfway mark.  My comment was more about the rationalization of Jackson.  Most coaches would have said  that the Lakers are going nowhere unless they start playing like a team with some passion.  

Jackson however chooses to say it was not an important  game for them.  What does that say about his team? That Kobe is in charge and  I don't want to rattle things? Or are Artest, Gasol and Bynum not really in in need of being motivated in front of their rival?   I think Jackson must be thinking we can't win as presently constructed.  He is crying to management we need to make a big personnel move. So his mind games are for show and inside he is quaking as his chance for three peat look slim.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

Can you imagine Doc saying these games don't matter?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptChris. Show CaptChris's posts

Enjoy the Win, but never let a Win get you too high unless it is the Chamionship GAme.  If you do you will be sadly disappointed.

!985 NBA Finals

Game # 1  --  Boston 148  -  Lakers  114  --  May 27th at Boston

Game # 3  --  Lakers  136  -  Boston  111  --  June 2nd at L.A.

Lakers win Finals 4 games to 2.  They are the Champs.

After the 1st game I thought we would blow them away, so did every Celtic Fan.  OOPS!

Enjoy today.  We shot lights out 60%  --  Will it happen again??? 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoraG1. Show NoraG1's posts

In Response to Re: Jackson says these games don't matter after the game today:
    [QUOTE]Enjoy the Win, but never let a Win get you too high unless it is the Chamionship GAme.  If you do you will be sadly disappointed. !985 NBA Finals Game # 1  --  Boston 148  -  Lakers  114  --  May 27th at Boston Game # 3  --  Lakers  136  -  Boston  111  --  June 2nd at L.A. Lakers win Finals 4 games to 2.  They are the Champs. After the 1st game I thought we would blow them away, so did every Celtic Fan.  OOPS! Enjoy today.  We shot lights out 60%  --  Will it happen again??? 
    Posted by CaptChris[/QUOTE]

Lakers are not the same team as they were last year. And C's are averaging over 50% FG so far this year. The answer is obvious to me they can do it again they did against the Spurs and Heat also and they are no defensive slouches.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Capt Chris,
    Thanks for the wet blanket.  I don't have to go to 1985 to keep my feet on the ground last June will suffice.  Are you a Celtics fan?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

You see whos driving don't you.

Posted Image

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrado. Show jrado's posts

Just like the Lakers said it wouldn't matter to them to beat the Celtics vs any other team in the finals last year.  It was only after they won the series they admitted it was much more special that they were able to beat Boston.

Celtics vs Lakers always matters when the teams are playoff contenders.  It's the greatest rivalry in basketball.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptChris. Show CaptChris's posts

[QUOTE]Capt Chris, Thanks for the wet blanket.  I don't have to go to 1985 to keep my feet on the ground last June will suffice.  Are you a Celtics fan?
    Posted by concord27[/QUOTE]

Been a Celtic fan since 1949.  Have seen all 17 Championships.

I just remember the guys who shot  --  what was it  --  36% on Friday night. Laughing 

Wasn't that the same guys? 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

Lakers don't make the finals this year.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Logicalmind. Show Logicalmind's posts

In Response to Jackson says these games don't matter after the game today:
    [QUOTE]Phil the ultimate head game player said the games(that they keep losing against good teams) played now don't really matter and that they were planning for the playoffs.   Does Phil take every development and make it into some kind of mind game for his players?  Today his players looked lost and stagnant watching the world's most selfish player score 41 as a far more superior team schooled them on how the game is played. Jackson rarely is criticized for his gracelessness and lack of class.  Everything is a head game.  I think the Lakers will implode long before we get a chance to eliminate them in the finals. 
    Posted by concord27[/QUOTE]
    Yea, 11 rings. Two-time REIGNING champ.  What does Phil Jackson know? Maybe LA should hire you as head coach. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from FlobusMcNugget. Show FlobusMcNugget's posts

Jackson sees the same thing most fans of the Lakers see - a lack of effort and energy. Like Lakers fans, he hopes to see a turnaround as the playoffs approach.

I don't imagine motivating a team to give maximum effort in the regular season after winning two straight titles is easy.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from FlobusMcNugget. Show FlobusMcNugget's posts

And, by the way, Celtics fans should know better than anyone out there not to dismiss a team's title chances based on their regular season play. Boston's 2010 season, anyone?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

Everybody is comparing this year's LA team to last year's Celtics and I did too.  However, after the watching the last several LA games, I feel like the better comparison would be the '08 spurs.  I guess only time will tell.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

CaptChris,
    What's your point?  You are not excited by a big win in LA after the finals disappointment and troubled by a back to back in Phoenix where the team was tired and looking ahead?  The win Sunday was very important based on how the team came back and outplayed what should have been a very motivated Laker team.  

If you have a fan since 1949, you should know that.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from breaktime. Show breaktime's posts

[QUOTE]haha..you guys forget who this is..yes we are all die hard celtic fans, but lets remember, these are the lakers. they WILL be there in the finals.  remember wat some of us were saying last yr? "we are playing terrible, theres no way we can make it in the playoffs"
    Posted by JamezHill24[/QUOTE]
    JamezHill24, I hope you're right.  For me, the Finals doesn't seem like the Finals unless the Celtics and Lakers are both participants in it.  But this year, right now, the Lakers are not pulling their weight and the Spurs have the best record in the NBA.  Injuries and which teams are streaking have a lot to do with who gets there, but I think the only way Kobe and company are going to be involved in the action in June is if they buy tickets.

On a sideline, here's a nice link with plenty of columns on yesterdays activities:
    http://lakersblog.latimes.com/lakersblog/2011/01/caught-in-the-web-reactions-to-lakers-109-96-loss-to-boston-celtics.html

Sections
Shortcuts