JAMES POSEY?-IF BOUGHTOUT?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

JAMES POSEY?-IF BOUGHTOUT?

If Larry buy's out Posey, this could be the final piece for the celtics...  We could use his D on the perimiter. 

Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mannyortez3424. Show mannyortez3424's posts

Re: JAMES POSEY?-IF BOUGHTOUT?

I'd assume that's a big if since he just traded for him...

Are there any reports out that say that?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from GregoBoston. Show GregoBoston's posts

The history of Bird and buy-outs is nasty.  Look at what happened with Tinsley or TJ Ford.  If he was in the last year of his contract, that would be possible.  With 2 years left, Posey has too much $$ to lose.  He is slightly overpaid and should not consider a buy-out. 
    Dunleavy has a history of injuries, so they may actually use him.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jm02130. Show jm02130's posts

No, no, no.  He played like crap in New Orleans.  You can't go home again.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Driscoll92587. Show Driscoll92587's posts

I read today that Posey will not accept a buyout because he's guaranteed $13 mil. over two years. The best way to get him is via a trade, in which the C's could send Sheed over to the Pacers.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In Response to Re: JAMES POSEY?-IF BOUGHTOUT?:
    [QUOTE]I read today that Posey will not accept a buyout because he's guaranteed $13 mil. over two years. The best way to get him is via a trade, in which the C's could send Sheed over to the Pacers.
    Posted by Driscoll92587[/QUOTE]

got a link?

and sheed has already reached a settlement and retired

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]No, no, no.  He played like crap in New Orleans.  You can't go home again.
    Posted by jm02130[/QUOTE]

Wow, look at the overall stats, in 2 years, for a losing tumultous club that fired their coach, and tell me you'd rather have Wafer or Daniels guarding SF's in the playoffs than Posey

just... WOW

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Driscoll92587. Show Driscoll92587's posts

Via redsarmy.com:

Upon learning of the 4-team trade which shippped James Posey to Indiana, SI's Chris Mannix started speculating about Po-Z's future on Twitter:

Celtics will likely inquire about Posey for their final roster spot, too. Good fit there as well.

Glut of small forwards in Indy though, including No. 1 pick. Don't think JP will want to spend last two years rebuilding either

James Posey's agent, Mark Bartelstein, tells SI.com that Posey will not seek a buyout from the Pacers.

Pacers could still look to trade Posey, who has two-years and $13 million remaining on contract.

However several contenders (Miami, Boston, Orlando) would love to add Posey's presence off the bench.

Because I'm doubtful that Posey will walk away from any of the $13 million on his contract, a trade is the most likely avenue to Boston. If the Celtics only had an expiring contract worth $6+ million annually they could send to Indy.

---

I didn't realize that Sheed already reach an agreement.  That makes getting Posey 1) too difficult and 2) Not worth any trade package the C's could put together.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jm02130. Show jm02130's posts

I believe that Sheed can still be signed and traded if he clears waivers.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Gotta remember how a buyout works

Pose will at least get the vet min to sign this year and the LLE (or more) next year if he is bought out. That is around 3 million. Right off the bat, just to break even, he'd want Indy to buy him out for 10 million spead over 2.

Indy can counter by saying... no thanks, how about 4 million?

Pose then says 9, Indy 5, on and on till they meet in the middle at about 7 million.

Indy pays just over half of Posey's contract, which saves them about 3 million per season and the hassle of making call after call trying to trade a bummed out and benched Posey, only to find nobody is offering them any deal that saves them more than simply paying that 7 million.

Posey then must decide if giving up 1.5 million a season over the next two seasons is worth playing a vital role on a championship run team in a place like Boston or Miami where he's already won titles and would be welcomed with open arms.

That is how buyouts work... Pose won't have to give up more than 20% of his income over the next two years. If he gets 3-4 million of someones MLE next year he can break even. Remember the Marbury buyout? He only let the Knicks off the hook for like 500-750k of 20 million that final year.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Well your #'s are clearly different from mine, I said he'd settle for 7 million in the buyout, then make an additional 3 million from his new team(s) over 2 years, only losing about
    1.5 million per season with a chance to lose nothing if he gets a decent chunk of someones MLE next year.

I can't speak for the man, but it is not uncommon for an athlete to take a little less, in this case 20%, to be in a situation he feels more comfortable with. Just b/c he has two rings doesn't mean he wouldnt be desperate for more. Saying he'd rather have that $ insinuates he is lazy and doesn't have a passion for the game.

I don't see Posey as the guy who would pass up a 16 minute role that lands him in at least the East finals over watching Dunleavy, Granger and prob even Paul George play over him on a lotto team. Unless he is in some sort of Antoine situation, he has made like 50 million in his career.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

We definately don't want Posey heading to Miami. Miami doesn't have much to trade so hopefully nothing happens on that front.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from binbones. Show binbones's posts

KG & POSEY WERE "TIGHT" IN THE 2008 TITLE RUN....

C'MON KG PICK UP THE TWEET   TO "BIG-GAME JAMES"..........

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mem17. Show mem17's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: JAMES POSEY?-IF BOUGHTOUT? : Ok, $7m not $5-6m ... my mistake but I still think he has to come out whole or better off in the deal as it's likely his last major deal and the best contract he's had as a player from what I've read. Just can't see him foregoing $ for rings now and that doesn't make him lazy or non-competitive, just wanting to earn as much as possible in his prime years before retirement.
    Posted by Mployee8[/QUOTE]
       You're correct. Posey was offered 18 million for 3 years by the C's and about 24 million or so by N.O. for 4 years. For Posey it was all about how much he could earn with his final big contract. I can't blame him for that. A lot of people would do the same thing given his situation in 2008.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: JAMES POSEY?-IF BOUGHTOUT? : Ok, $7m not $5-6m ... my mistake but I still think he has to come out whole or better off in the deal as it's likely his last major deal and the best contract he's had as a player from what I've read. Just can't see him foregoing $ for rings now and that doesn't make him lazy or non-competitive, just wanting to earn as much as possible in his prime years before retirement.
    Posted by Mployee8[/QUOTE]

it is his 2nd full MLE deal in his career, I don't know how he has spent his 45-50 million, but if I was in his spot, I'd cut my pay by 20% (or maybe nothing if he gets solid MLE $ nxt summer) to actually play a role and go for glory over spending a season in the bench for a lotto club.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Driscoll92587. Show Driscoll92587's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: JAMES POSEY?-IF BOUGHTOUT? : it is his 2nd full MLE deal in his career, I don't know how he has spent his 45-50 million, but if I was in his spot, I'd cut my pay by 20% (or maybe nothing if he gets solid MLE $ nxt summer) to actually play a role and go for glory over spending a season in the bench for a lotto club.
    Posted by rameakap[/QUOTE]

Posey is a role player, not a ring winner.  He'll go where the money is. 

Moreover, why do fellow C's fans want him back in the first place?  Last time I checked this guy was garbage in New Orleans.  He looked like he was treading through mud every time on defense.  I'm sorry but this guy is not the solution to our wing-off-the-bench problem.  Since 2008, all of his numbers have dropped, most significantly his 3pt shooting.  He simply is not the player he was in 2008, and he would not help this squad. 

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoCalCeltFan. Show SoCalCeltFan's posts

Posey isn't going to give up ANY money at this final stage of his career! Fuhgetaboutit! He isn't on the downslope of his modest NBA career. He's hit bottom with thirteen mil coming. These Posey lovers are deluded. They are the same ones who want AW back. Hopefully, the Cs are smart enough to go for an undervalued, underrated, even heretofore, underperforming YOUNG player, not a re-tread looking for a cushy spot to land.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

I loved Posey but at 34 is he close to the same player he was in 08?  What about Battier as someone suggested not long ago in a trade with the Sheed money?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

As far as I know, now that Sheed has been waived he is no longer a trade chip. Houston would never give up Battier anyhow. Posey isn't taking less money, and why would we want someone who has declined to that degree? Sure, for a vet minimum salary yes but that's not going to happen here with Posey under contract. The Celts will sign one more piece but it will be a vet minimum kind of situation.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

In Response to JAMES POSEY?-IF BOUGHTOUT?:
    [QUOTE]If Larry buy's out Posey, this could be the final piece for the celtics...  We could use his D on the perimiter.  Thoughts?
    Posted by Getzo[/QUOTE]

I think he might get traded yet again.  I think he'd be a good addition for the right price, especially becuase he'd only be the 8th or 9th man this time around.