James Young "Good to Go"

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

James Young "Good to Go"

Former Kentucky guard James Young says he is "good to go" after a concussion that kept the Boston Celtics' first-round draft pick from playing in the NBA's summer league. Young sustained the concussion and whiplash in a car accident before last month's NBA draft. The Celtics chose the 6-foot-6 swingman 17th overall with its second first-round pick — Boston selected Oklahoma State guard Marcus Smart sixth overall with the first — but held Young out of practices and the competition for rookies and free agents in Orlando. USA Today Sports

Boston Celtics, Injuries, James Young
    - See more at: http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm#sthash.b3tTkq3a.dpuf

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

Re: James Young

This is the guy that I am intrigued about.  I had really liked him in the NCAA championship game.  Marcus Smart has the ingredients to be very good.  If James Young turns out to be a hit, it will be fantastic.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rajon-Hondo. Show Rajon-Hondo's posts

In response to prakash's comment:

This is the guy that I am intrigued about.  I had really liked him in the NCAA championship game.  Marcus Smart has the ingredients to be very good.  If James Young turns out to be a hit, it will be fantastic.

I hear ya. I only watched him only a few times last year, I thought he was a Soph but he carried KU on his back there for  a half and almost pulled it off. Sneaky athletic, quick release and has a controlled aggression to his game, polished game for an 18 yr. old kid. I was surprised by the direction of the selection not the selection, I thought we'd go Euro big.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

In response to Rajon-Hondo's comment:

I hear ya. I only watched him only a few times last year, I thought he was a Soph but he carried KU on his back there for  a half and almost pulled it off. Sneaky athletic, quick release and has a controlled aggression to his game, polished game for an 18 yr. old kid. I was surprised by the direction of the selection not the selection, I thought we'd go Euro big.

I see the Celts selecting the best available option with each of the picks.  Best meaning best upside.  Young was a freshman and is actually really young.  I hope that the upside expectations come true and that he becomes truly special.  I see the need for a Big but that late picks will be available next year as well.  The Celts really need to do well this year so that they can target Marc Gasol.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from CelticGreenLP. Show CelticGreenLP's posts

I see the Celts selecting the best available option with each of the picks.  Best meaning best upside.  Young was a freshman and is actually really young.  I hope that the upside expectations come true and that he becomes truly special.  I see the need for a Big but that late picks will be available next year as well.  The Celts really need to do well this year so that they can target Marc Gasol.

This statement is contradictory to the point of your whole post. If you want the Celtics to play well, meaning win a lot of games, so much so that Marc Gasol looks at us and says "Wow, the Celtics are one Center away from being a contender. I want to play for them." Then you have to know that 18 yo rookies like James Young WILL NOT be getting minutes.

If the Celtics play to win games this year it spells DLeague for James Young, and the Bench for Marcus Smart.  

Playing to win for the purpose of attracting the #1 or #2 Free agent avail next season is doom for the development of our young guys.  And more than likely means 1 or more of them will have to be traded. if we want value in such a trade it will have to be our best young guys.

In the NBA you don't win games with hyper inexperienced guys getting heavy minutes, and you don't get good young prospects when prime players, and vets are getting heavy minutes. Something has to give.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from CeltsFanInNH. Show CeltsFanInNH's posts

In response to CelticGreenLP's comment:

This statement is contradictory to the point of your whole post. If you want the Celtics to play well, meaning win a lot of games, so much so that Marc Gasol looks at us and says "Wow, the Celtics are one Center away from being a contender. I want to play for them." Then you have to know that 18 yo rookies like James Young WILL NOT be getting minutes.

If the Celtics play to win games this year it spells DLeague for James Young, and the Bench for Marcus Smart.  

Playing to win for the purpose of attracting the #1 or #2 Free agent avail next season is doom for the development of our young guys.  And more than likely means 1 or more of them will have to be traded. if we want value in such a trade it will have to be our best young guys.

In the NBA you don't win games with hyper inexperienced guys getting heavy minutes, and you don't get good young prospects when prime players, and vets are getting heavy minutes. Something has to give.

Bingo

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from scubber. Show scubber's posts

Young is going to be a perpetual D-league player next year.  I don't see how he would see any day light in the big league with the team as it is constituted.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

The "fans" who want the Celtics to tank badly in order to get a lower draft pick don't understand this excellent  point.  No good free agent will want to sign with Boston if we're pathetic cellar dwellers.  

We need to show results and potential this year.  We have enough picks to combine them and trade up near the top if necessary.  Plus we'll have a ton of CAP space after this year to sign some good FA players which is less of a gamble than the draft and positions the Cs for contenders earlier rather than later.  

We don't have enough room on the roster to accommodate all our picks over the next several years.  

Early in the season I would not be surprised to see Bass get a lot of minutes positioning him for a Dec. trade. Oly will have to wait to take his minutes.  

I see Smart getting 15-20 min at both PG and SG and Young getting maybe 10 min at both SG and SF - both being developed cautiously.  and also showcasing Rondo and Green for trades and get lower picks without tanking.    

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from CeltsFanInNH. Show CeltsFanInNH's posts

In response to Eldunker's comment:

The "fans" who want the Celtics to tank badly in order to get a lower draft pick don't understand this excellent  point.  No good free agent will want to sign with Boston if we're pathetic cellar dwellers.  

We need to show results and potential this year.  We have enough picks to combine them and trade up near the top if necessary.  Plus we'll have a ton of CAP space after this year to sign some good FA players which is less of a gamble than the draft and positions the Cs for contenders earlier rather than later.  

We don't have enough room on the roster to accommodate all our picks over the next several years.  

Early in the season I would not be surprised to see Bass get a lot of minutes positioning him for a Dec. trade. Oly will have to wait to take his minutes.  

I see Smart getting 15-20 min at both PG and SG and Young getting maybe 10 min at both SG and SF - both being developed cautiously.  and also showcasing Rondo and Green for trades and get lower picks without tanking.    

Can you name any teams that have traded down from a top 10 pick to take 2 or 3 picks in the teens and 20s?  It doesn't happen very often in the NBA like it might in the NFL or MLB. Of those teams that traded down, how many had better players in the long run from the lower picks?  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

I, too, was hoping the Celtics would go "Euro-big" with pick #17.  However, the guy I wanted, Nurkic, went at 16.  Was Capela worth the pick?  Maybe.  Once Nurkic (and TJ Warren) were gone, I think it came down to Young, Harris, Adams or McGary.

Time will tell, but I think in two years Young may be the best player of that lot.

Still wanted Nurkic............UGH!!

"Climb on my back, boys, and I'll take you home." - Cedric Maxwell

"You show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." - Red Auerbach

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." - Hedley Lamarr

If no Bynum injury, no Gasol trade - last word!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

Perhaps there is a contradiction.  I don't see it.  I am not seeing a black-and-white classification here.  I hope that the Celts do really well this year.  And I hope that James Young, who is just 18, will develop in an excellent player over a period of time.  The hope for doing well comes from sources other than Young.  Rondo and Sullinger recovered from injuries.  Olly with more confidence.  Marcus Smart's potential.  Evan Turner as a possible upgrade over Crash.  Tyler Zeller an improvement over Humphries.  Brad Stevens' familiarity with NBA.

I am expecting +4 wins but would be very happy with a #8 seed in playoffs.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from CelticGreenLP. Show CelticGreenLP's posts

In response to CeltsFanInNH's comment:

In response to Eldunker's comment:

Can you name any teams that have traded down from a top 10 pick to take 2 or 3 picks in the teens and 20s?  It doesn't happen very often in the NBA like it might in the NFL or MLB. Of those teams that traded down, how many had better players in the long run from the lower picks?  

Better yet, can you name the free agents that the Celtics will get that will make this team a REAL contender? Not a pretender, a Contender.  REALISTICALLY now. Don't mention any restricted free agents, or guys on player options or other pipe dream garbage like that. Find guys that are definitely going to be up for grabs, guys that haven't already said that they want to resign with their current team (Aldridge), guys that aren't already on a contending team, cuz those types of guys aren't coming here. 

And before you say Marc Gasol, realize that (after Love is traded) he will be the most saught after free agent in the league, and the Celtics will have to compete with 10 or more other teams including The Lakers, Dallas, The Heat, The Knicks, and Memphis who will be able to offer him the most money, and will be a more playoff ready team than the Celtics. 

While Danny is trying to woo Gasol, there will be multiple teams wooing Rondo the same way.  Good luck with all that!  I would rather take my chances on these young guys than waiting for a savior free agent that isn't even out there, and in the meantime Rondo walks to the Knicks or something.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

Better yet, can you name the free agents that the Celtics will get that will make this team a REAL contender? Not a pretender, a Contender.  REALISTICALLY now. Don't mention any restricted free agents, or guys on player options or other pipe dream garbage like that. Find guys that are definitely going to be up for grabs, guys that haven't already said that they want to resign with their current team (Aldridge), guys that aren't already on a contending team, cuz those types of guys aren't coming here. 

And before you say Marc Gasol, realize that (after Love is traded) he will be the most saught after free agent in the league, and the Celtics will have to compete with 10 or more other teams including The Lakers, Dallas, The Heat, The Knicks, and Memphis who will be able to offer him the most money, and will be a more playoff ready team than the Celtics. 

While Danny is trying to woo Gasol, there will be multiple teams wooing Rondo the same way.  Good luck with all that!  I would rather take my chances on these young guys than waiting for a savior free agent that isn't even out there, and in the meantime Rondo walks to the Knicks or something.

Yes, the doom scenario is a real possibility.  But so is the optimistic scenario.  It is a real possibility the the Celts don't get Gasol.  It is also a real possibility that Rondo stays with the Celts.  Bottom line is that the Celts youngsters have to pan out and pan out soon for them to get anywhere.  There is a reasonable chance that they will pan out.  I am hoping that they pan out sooner rather than later.  Because if they pan out slow, the Celts will not get anywhere on any plan.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from CelticGreenLP. Show CelticGreenLP's posts

I don't view rebuilding through the draft as a "Doom scenario".  In fact I am optimistic that this franchise can build a long standing true contender, if people can stay loyal through another two years of being a developmental team.

We have the first couple of building blocks in Smart, K.O. And Sully. Why stop the building process now to be a mid level team?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

I don't view rebuilding through the draft as a "Doom scenario".  In fact I am optimistic that this franchise can build a long standing true contender, if people can stay loyal through another two years of being a developmental team.

We have the first couple of building blocks in Smart, K.O. And Sully. Why stop the building process now to be a mid level team?

My apologies, that was an overstatement.  Yes, I agree that we have some good pieces.  If Smart, KO and Sully develop at a fast pace then draft as well as free agents become an option.  Otherwise draft is the only option but a less probable one at that.  Lets hope that Marcus Smart has as much impact as Damien Lillard.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PHX85014. Show PHX85014's posts

The Euro Big was picked by Chicago @ #16 (Jusef Nukirc) , Adrien Payne was picked #15 , these were the 2 Bigs I thought the Celtics would pick, James Young was best player available and apparently, much better than Gary Harris who was sitting there

Sections
Shortcuts