Jared Sullinger injury: Boston Celtics forward likens himself to 'The Lion King' character Simba!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

Jared Sullinger injury: Boston Celtics forward likens himself to 'The Lion King' character Simba!

Jared Sullinger injury: Boston Celtics forward likens himself to 'The Lion King' character Simba, expected to be healthy come training camp

JARED_SULLINGER.JPG Jared Sullinger (AP Photo/Elise Amendola) Jay King, MassLive.comBy Jay King, MassLive.com 
    Follow on Twitter 
    on May 14, 2013 at 4:02 PM

Very rarely, one must assume, does the same Disney children's movie inspire popular rap songs and motivate a Boston Celtics power forward during his quest to recover from a season-ending back injury.

But J. Cole has named two of his songs after 'The Lion King' character Simba, and Jared Sullinger told CSNNE's Jessica Camerato he has watched the same animated flick several times since undergoing lumbar disc surgery in February.

"I've watched 'The Lion King' four times (since surgery)," said Sullinger, who has been cleared for physical activities and is expected to be ready by training camp, according to Camerato. "Rafiki the monkey makes me laugh. It was a family movie when I was growing up. I like it because it teaches you you can always overcome. I'm like Simba."

The Simba comparison doesn't work perfectly here, since that would be relatng a man's back surgery to the death of a cartoon lion's uncle, and rehabilitation from the aforementioned surgery to Simba's return to his lion civilization in order to overthrow his dangerous and corrupt uncle, Scar. But if we can expand the metaphor to label Jordan Crawford as Timon and Brandon Bass as Pumbaa, and somehow convince Kevin Garnett to sing 'Hakuna Matata', I'm all for it.

Sullinger told Camerato he needed to wait nine weeks from the surgery before he could begin working out, and that he was "pretty much on bed rest" during that time. Now, he's back in the gym and has been working on planks and pelvic tilts to increase his core and back strength.

Sullinger has continued to use Garnett as a mentor, developed a tight relationship with injured teammate Rajon Rondo during rehab and believes he'll be healthy during his second season.

That would be crucial for the Celtics, since Sullinger was their best rebounder before going down and always seemed to make a positive impact. If Simba doesn't catch on as a nickname, we could consider calling Sullinger the Prince of Plus-Minus, since the Celtics were 4.2 points per 100 possessions better with him on the court.

"I was trying to find my niche (my rookie year). I was on an incline, then I got hurt," Sullinger told Camerato. "I have a back now, so I don't know, we'll see."

He has a back now. Good news.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

Re: Jared Sullinger injury: Boston Celtics forward likens himself to 'The Lion King' character Simba!

It is nice to read Sully aka the "Lion-King" is back in the gym, and so far, set-back free! 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaileyPowe. Show BaileyPowe's posts

Re: Jared Sullinger injury: Boston Celtics forward likens himself to 'The Lion King' character Simba!

Sullinger has .... developed a tight relationship with injured teammate Rajon Rondo during rehab and believes he'll be healthy during his second season.

easy there sully, that can't be good for your bdc fan base.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

Developed a tight relationship with Rondo?  Trade Sully!!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from painter. Show painter's posts

The part that concerns me is that he's watching kids' animations.  "How mature is he?", is my question?  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from breaktime. Show breaktime's posts

In response to painter's comment:

The part that concerns me is that he's watching kids' animations.  "How mature is he?", is my question?  

If you compared him to most of the posters on this board, he'd probably look mature enough.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

Remember, he's filling the role left by shrek.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSPCB73. Show RSPCB73's posts

Hey, a lot of animated movies today feature jokes and references that only people over 15 are likely to get.  I know from experience as most parents of pre-teen know - I end up having to explain these to my 10 year-old son and 7 year-old daughter!

Anyway, I look forward to Sully getting back healthy and contributing to the C's in the next season.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

In response to RSPCB73's comment:

Hey, a lot of animated movies today feature jokes and references that only people over 15 are likely to get.  I know from experience as most parents of pre-teen know - I end up having to explain these to my 10 year-old son and 7 year-old daughter!

Anyway, I look forward to Sully getting back healthy and contributing to the C's in the next season.

+1 Long live the Lion King!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

I wonder if Sully will gain a little lift (in his jump), post back surgery? I think we will see a more athletic version of Z. Randolph in green next season!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from red2004sox. Show red2004sox's posts

There is no dought his back problem weakend his lower body.  It is just a matter of how hard will he work to get his legs stronger and strengthen his lower back to to keep this issue from happening in the future.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

Sullinger ready to work his way back May, 23, 2013 MAY 23 2:35 PM ET By Chris Forsberg | ESPNBoston.com BOSTON -- Boston Celtics forward Jared Sullinger resumed light workouts about two weeks ago and is ready to begin a 10-week rehab program aimed at ramping him back up, with the goal of being 100 percent around the start of training camp. 

A lumbar-disc issue forced Sullinger to undergo season-ending surgery in February, confirming pre-draft fears about the health of his back. But Sullinger is adamant that the surgery will alleviate future concerns and believes he can be even better than he showed in 45 games this season. 

"Everybody says back with a question mark; you might as well put an X through that," Sullinger said Thursday morning at a Stay in School assembly at Northeastern’s Matthews Arena, where the Celtics honored 1,500 middle school students from Boston public schools. "Because I had surgery and I’m taking my time getting back right, it won’t be a recurring injury." 

Sullinger, the 21st pick in last year's draft, averaged 6 points and 5.9 rebounds in 19.8 minutes per game. He had ascended to a starting role with Boston before the injury derailed his first NBA season. He said the surgery should allow his game to flourish moving forward and should be viewed only as a positive. 

"Honestly, when I was playing, I was playing on one leg," said the 6-foot-9 Sullinger. "My right leg was pretty much dead. I couldn’t push off, didn’t have any strength behind it. With the right leg being the way it was, and still being able to produce the way I did, I guess it sets a bit of a foundation, but mentally I know I can play better." 

Sullinger said doctors gave him the OK to resume light workouts about two weeks ago after being virtually immobile -- outside of walking -- since the surgery. Team doctors and strength coach Bryan Doo have constructed a 10-week program that will ramp up Sullinger's activity about 10 percent every two weeks. 

"Maybe by September or October I’ll be 100 percent -- full go," said Sullinger. 

That means, as expected, there will be no summer league for Sullinger, but he said that's not a disappointment for him and he's focused on rehabbing to ensure he's on the floor when the 2013-14 season begins. 

A couple of other quick tidbits from Sullinger: 

REHABBING WITH RONDO: Sullinger said he's found added motivation by watching point guard Rajon Rondo rehab from ACL surgery. "We talk off and on, just trying to get each other’s minds right. Situations like this, you go through it alone, it’s kinda tough. But when you have someone by your side that’s trying to get back to where they were as well, it really helps you out." As for how Rondo is doing: "Rondo's doing great," said Sullinger. "Right now he’s rehabbing, and doing what he’s supposed to." 

NO HINTS ON KG, PIERCE: Sullinger said he hasn't had any communication with Paul Pierce or Kevin Garnett about their futures in Boston and is like everyone else who's waiting to find out whether they will be back. "I’m the same way. I'm not the GM, I’m not Danny [Ainge], so I don’t know anything that’s happening. Regardless of what they do, I support them either way." Sullinger has talked with coach Doc Rivers and said the two try to steer the conversation away from basketball. "Sometimes you just have to let people breathe. And that’s what they’ve been doing with Doc, Kevin and Paul. Just letting them be themselves because, after a while, just talking about basketball every freakin’ day, it’s really tough. I experience it all the time and I catch myself, stop myself, because at some point I’ll need a mental break." 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

That is really good news.  What is really encouraging is to hear that he was playing on one leg.  This may be an exaggeration but even if he only had partial strength loss in his right leg, his accomplishments become even more impressive.  I am very intrigued by what Sully will bring with him next year.  He was a much more dominant player in his freshman year than in his sophomore year (post injury).

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PHX85014. Show PHX85014's posts

Love this guy ! 

Great draft pick by Ainge, can't wait to see him healthy and full strength.

Nothing but GOOD that he's made a friend in Rondo.

Rondo, Jeff Green, Sullinger and Avery Bradley are ABSOLUELY good enought to build a championship team around. 

Can't wait till draft night arrives !

GO CELTICS 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from painter. Show painter's posts

In response to BCSP's comment:

I wonder if Sully will gain a little lift (in his jump), post back surgery? I think we will see a more athletic version of Z. Randolph in green next season!

But not the playoff version of Randolph.  He's been atrocious at best. I think Sullinger can be a real force and hope he shows the teams who passed on him what they missed. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Richard1965. Show Richard1965's posts

In response to breaktime's comment:

In response to painter's comment:

If you compared him to most of the posters on this board, he'd probably look mature enough.

+1

18. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts