Jason Collins reveals he is gay

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

Re: Jason Collins reveals he is gay

In response to Number6Fan's comment:

I would wager there's not a single male person on this board who has not, in HS or college, showered next to a gay person.  How does knowing about it make it any different?

=========================================

You are correct about showering next to a gay; however , the gay person perhaps not being effeminate, wanted to stay in the closet because it was a stigma in those less progressive days to be known as a queer. And God forbid he made a move on a straight person. I am just saying that as a woman might feel unconfortable in a shower next to a man albeit he does not indicate an arousal or interest , some straight men might feel uncomfortable too so make the gay shower in a separate stall. I don't feel that's discriminatory if you fear someone of the same sex could be interested in you.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

I would wager there's not a single male person on this board who has not, in HS or college, showered next to a gay person.  How does knowing about it make it any different?

I dont know how you came to that conclusion about showering nexy to a gay person...

and does it really need to be explained why knowing might make a difference?  Why dont you take a poll and find out..maybe youre on to something

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In response to Karllost's comment:

Whats forcing people on this forum to watch the game tonight?? Nothing other than its what we do...just as many of us watch the news and espn. What forces you to breathe or open the door before walking into it?? Nothing other than its part of the normal course of our day..

and JC inserted his gayness into it... 

BTW, I havent given my opinion on whether I object to a man being a homosexual so dont put words in my mouth.. I did find it a non event and unworthy of characterizing JC a hero or courageous for going public..

Perhaps the weirdest analogy ever given. Nothing is forcing me to watch the game tonight other than my fondness for the Celtics. What forces me to breathe is my desire to live.

I never said you objected to Collins being gay (though "JC inserted his gayness into it" makes me wonder). I was referring to your objection to him "forcing the issue on the world," as an earlier poster put it.

I also believe calling Collins "a hero" is inappropriate.

I do find it interesting that many of those calling it a "non-event" and "no big deal" are also repeatedly posting about it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

In response to LloydDobler's comment:

In response to Karllost's comment:

Whats forcing people on this forum to watch the game tonight?? Nothing other than its what we do...just as many of us watch the news and espn. What forces you to breathe or open the door before walking into it?? Nothing other than its part of the normal course of our day..

and JC inserted his gayness into it... 

BTW, I havent given my opinion on whether I object to a man being a homosexual so dont put words in my mouth.. I did find it a non event and unworthy of characterizing JC a hero or courageous for going public..

Perhaps the weirdest analogy ever given. Nothing is forcing me to watch the game tonight other than my fondness for the Celtics. What forces me to breathe is my desire to live.

I never said you objected to Collins being gay (though "JC inserted his gayness into it" makes me wonder). I was referring to your objection to him "forcing the issue on the world," as an earlier poster put it.

I also believe calling Collins "a hero" is inappropriate.

I do find it interesting that many of those calling it a "non-event" and "no big deal" are also repeatedly posting about it.

That may be because others are insisting that it is just as adamantly

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Number6Fan. Show Number6Fan's posts

Okay, let me explain a little more.  Admittedly, I'm now old enough that beautiful women don't automatically get me aroused, but even when I was younger I had a modicum of self-control. I'm sure I could have showered next to pretty women who were known to me to be unavailable, whose form I could appreciate without showing it, for the simple fact that they were unavailable.  I think most people have that much self-control (except for idiot television characters -- you know the type I mean).  Closeted gay men have been showering with heteros for decades without showing it -- and primarily it's because they know attentions are unwarranted and will be unreturned.  If you know the people you're with are primarily uninterested, you sublimate or ignore. No harm, no foul.  What makes hetero males freaked out by the presence of gay men is projection.  They oggle pretty women (and all attractive women get used to living with being oggled 24/7 whether they like it or not), and suddenly the guys can't stand the thought of being possibly oggled themselves.  You can dish it out but can't take it?  :-)

cheers --

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

to all those who scoffed that this was NOT a political move by collins.....  he is set to appear at a Democratic National Committee fundraiser on May 29 with fellow 7 footer michelle obama.  sounds pretty political to me.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

In response to Godvernment's comment:

In response to aciemvp's comment:

to all those who scoffed that this was NOT a political move by collins.....  he is set to appear at a Democratic National Committee fundraiser on May 29 with fellow 7 footer michelle obama.  sounds pretty political to me.

collins isn't a politician and he has no political power. do you really think he knew "coming out" would get him an appearance at the DNC fundraiser?

for collins, this was personal. for obama, who like 99% of all american politicians will look to score political points anywhere and anytime they can, this is political. obama saw an opportunity, and he reached out to collins. not the other way around.

really?  and that anti-gay discrimination legislation just HAPPENING to come to the floor of CONgress for debate within DAYS of collins' "organic" announcement?  i'm sure collins will never wind up with some special ambassador-ship or other appointment position related to his "anncouncement" either!

he'll be ripe for it by this fall when nobody will be willing to sign his .9 points per game and .2 rebs per game for one more go-round

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaileyPowe. Show BaileyPowe's posts

if collins wants to play and isn't signed at the outset next season, he will be at some point. we can be sure stern's boy silver will be pushing such an agenda.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

In response to BaileyPowe's comment:

if collins wants to play and isn't signed at the outset next season, he will be at some point. we can be sure stern's boy silver will be pushing such an agenda.

Well he's played every year for a long time.

I think its pretty likely that he will again.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

or maybe the establishment just needed a new synthetic headline to cover up the ones that they weren't reporting that WERE headline-worthy...

First 8 Days following "ground zero" for Jason Collins "coming out" and the beginning of "The Butcher" kermit gosnell: ‘Gay’ Jason Collins 2,381 News Stories; Gosnell Abortion-Murder Trial 115 Stories – 1,970% Difference in Coverage

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

In response to aciemvp's comment:

or maybe the establishment just needed a new synthetic headline to cover up the ones that they weren't reporting that WERE headline-worthy...

First 8 Days following "ground zero" for Jason Collins "coming out" and the beginning of "The Butcher" kermit gosnell: ‘Gay’ Jason Collins 2,381 News Stories; Gosnell Abortion-Murder Trial 115 Stories – 1,970% Difference in Coverage

I wonder if acie might find this thread a bit more compelling if instead of a journeyman 5 at the end of a nondescript career.... if instead of one Jason Collins coming out of the closet....  we had say... a 289+/- lb ex-Celtic PF now playing with the Magic in the prime of his career....  announcing that he were gay.

I wonder if that might touch acie a bit differently.

Hmmmmmmm!

Pud 

Sections
Shortcuts