Jason Collins reveals he is gay

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Number6Fan. Show Number6Fan's posts

Re: Jason Collins reveals he is gay

I never come to this board for enlightened thinking -- but this thread really depresses me.  It's no wonder gay athletes don't want to come out.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

Wowwwzahss. A few points:

• Being Christian is your decision. Sort of like believing in horoscopes or in aliens.
    • Being homophobic is your decision, and not validated by your choice in religion
    • Being gay is not a choice
    • Annoucning that your gay in the world of sports where nobody has taken that step, takes courage.
    • There are many different types and levels of courage. Not all are equal, and they are not comparable. Courage on a battlefield can not be ranked verses courage to come out of the closet.
    • The propper response to J. Collins, is summed up perfectly by Sean Grande: Will be prouder when the issue becomes less "who is" and more "who cares" 
    • My reaction: Good for him, but who cares. He isn't the only one who is, and nobody should really care either way.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from VeniceSox. Show VeniceSox's posts

In response to leatherhelmet's comment:

I believe Amechi came out after his retirement. Congrats to JC. The closed minded will do what they do best, express their fear and lack of knowledge thru hatred..... At least they too will "come out" so that we may add face to ignorant tongue.... 

Well said!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from VeniceSox. Show VeniceSox's posts

In response to aciemvp's comment:

In response to VeniceSox's comment:

People like you dont belong in the natural order of things...you might want to look at all of your negative comments and realize that you are a bigot and coming from a black guy (if thats what you are) is pathetic.

i merely stated what the statistics of death, STD, substance abuse, suicide and physiological traits say about homosexuality.  if you have been indoctrinated to celebrate it as some aspect of "equality" or what other big new fake medicine that progress sieves are foisting it upon our culture as then that's good for you. 

if you like the idea of elementary school kids being filled with information about how they should try out gay sex then good for you.  is it good for YOUR kids or just everyone else's?  if you like watching tv shows and movies with all sorts of fluffy and propped up gay characters in it then that's good for you!

i don't happen to subscribe to any of those things as a "like"- it does not make me a bigot- i am an absolute sexuality libertarian.  but i expect others to do as i do- don't tell me about "who you are" and what you do in the bedroom, because i don't care!  and i never will.

Anyone who thinks gay people are trying to recruit kids to be gay or try gay sex then something is really wrong with you.... and as to your comment about disease let me remind you that AIDS started in the straight community and I am willing to bet that STDs had the same origin but keep those blinders on and see the world as you see fit.... and for the record "God" created gays just as he created every other creature on earth so why would it then be unnatural? 

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

In response to OneOnOne's comment:

In response to Kirk6's comment:

Wonder how many of his next team will want to shower with him. This is not something to be respected or admired.  Free country but I don't need to know his sex life.

You just gave the exact reason why people should come out.

Again free country.  You may support this type of life style but it doesn't belong in my religion.

So just what does belong in your religion? Hatred?  You are a typical bible thumper who picks and chooses what to believe from the Bible... its laughable...

You want to classify me in a group and judge me because I say I have a religion,  accuse me of hatred, also accuse me of picking and choosing what I want to believe,  yet you want to give accolades so someone that "comes out"?  Talk about laughable.  

I simply said it wasn't something to be admired or respected.  I heard on a national radio broadcast earlier that they credit him for his courage.  That I can agree with.  Admiration and respect is something I give to people that helped with the Boston bombings,  the heros so to speak,  not someone that comes out speaking of  his sexual orientation.   Admire and respect all you want,  but don't urinate down my back and tell me its raining.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Sir Charles was right.

An outed gay professional sportsman has much more to fear in the way of insults from the stands than he/she does the locker room.

The other players don't care, as long as you playhard and support the team.

America in general, however, is much more homophobic than the average locker room.

The comments here seem to bear that out.

I do so love the idiots, though, who believe that homosexuality is defined merely by what happens "in the bedroom"...probably the signs of unsatisfying love lives and/or inadequacy in the commenters.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to Number6Fan's comment:

I never come to this board for enlightened thinking -- but this thread really depresses me.  It's no wonder gay athletes don't want to come out.

As my GF says, "There are a lot of animals in the zoo."

And a whole lot of feces....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortiz123. Show Ortiz123's posts

In response to R9R's comment:

• Being Christian is your decision. Sort of like believing in horoscopes or in aliens.
    • Being homophobic is your decision, and not validated by your choice in religion
    • Annoucning that your gay in the world of sports where nobody has taken that step, takes courage.
    • There are many different types and levels of courage. Not all are equal, and they are not comparable. Courage on a battlefield can not be ranked verses courage to come out of the closet.
    • The propper response to J. Collins, is summed up perfectly by Sean Grande: Will be prouder when the issue becomes less "who is" and more "who cares" 
    • My reaction: Good for him, but who cares. He isn't the only one who is, and nobody should really care either way.

Exactly, I didn't much care for him as a player and I still don't...If its hate now, then it was hate then...I Hate mediocre players...lol

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

If you read the SI article, part of JC's rationale for annoucing that he's gay - and clearly he was ambivalent about coming out - is to get ahead of the TMZs of the world that would revel in making him front page news if they saw him in a vulnerable/compromising position.  He was tired of being in the closet.  He was tired of pretending to be who he's not.  Even as an NBA journeyman, the fact that he plays in the NBA makes him a target for those who would exploit his story.  

You can call him courageous for coming out or cowardly for waiting till he was at the end of his career.  If it was that easy for him to come out, he would have done it and called it a day long ago.  Being a gay man immediately makes him a lesser person in the eyes of many, as evidenced by many posts I have been reading here and elsewhere.   Even though he feels like he's done the right thing for himself, he went from relative anonymity to being scrutinised by any person out there who has a low opinion of gays.  No easy task in my opinion.        

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

Anyone who thinks gay people are trying to recruit kids to be gay or try gay sex then something is really wrong with you.... and as to your comment about disease let me remind you that AIDS started in the straight community and I am willing to bet that STDs had the same origin but keep those blinders on and see the world as you see fit.... and for the record "God" created gays just as he created every other creature on earth so why would it then be unnatural? 

listen, you take a look dummy.  no words to read, no big words even spoken.  take a look at the material being taught to kids today by the government dollar.  there is SEXUAL SATURATION going on starting in kindegarten, with specific angles introduced and worked that portray "gay" in a very positive light and include encouragement to experiment with it, how to perform anal sex, etc.

and don't call me or any of it dirty- this is all your government hard at work to make brain dead idiots out of your kids, my kids, our kids' kids

http://youtu.be/j7XR9yH2ETk

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from shamrock1000. Show shamrock1000's posts

God Bless Jason Collins.

For those who say "this is not news, it's no big deal" - yes, that should be the case, but unfortunately it is not. Just look at how some are responding here - its clearly a big deal. 

For those who claim they "don't want to know what he does in the bedroom" - that is all good and well, but he is not telling you what he does in the bedroom (if you imagine specific things then that is on you). It's not revealing "tmi" or pushing an agenda, its being honest about who you are. Nobody should have to hide who they are - that is the point!

For those who equate homosexuality with adultery or other more loathsome sex-related acts -  uhm, some innocent gets hurt by those other things you falsely equate with homosexuality. If somebody finds love, happiness as well as physical and/or emotional comfort with somebody of the same sex, who am I (or you) to try and deny them??

For those who quote the bible - if you have really read the bible, you would know only a few passages address homosexuality. I am always surprised at what people take away from the bible. Both the old testament and the new contain so much wisdom and all some people can focus on are these few passages. By the way, the bible also prohibits many sexual acts commonly practised by heterosexual couples, not to mention "onanism". 

For those who say it is "not natural" - Uhm, what ever happens in nature is, by definition, natural. By your logic, anything non-procreational is "not natural". 

For those who site statistics linking homosexuality to other self-destructive behaviors - did you ever consider that maybe, just maybe, some of those behaviors result from shame, guilt, self-hatred partially resulting from how gay people are percieved? I don't know about you, but I can't seem to control who is and isn't gay, but I can control how I treat them and think of them.

For those who say "he's trying to prolong his career" - Come on. Find me one GM who would prefer to introduce possible controversy and conflict in the locker room.

For those who draw distinctions between race and sexual orientation - I'm pretty sure Jason Collins didn't choose to be gay. Actually sounds like it cause a fair amount of anxiety. Not saying there aren't distinctions between race and sexuality, but to obtusely deny any parallels is disingenuous.

All the power to you JC - that took some guts...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomobo. Show tomobo's posts

The above  post said it all.

My lesbian sister told me she was gay when she was in her mid-40's. Prior to that, I thought she was just unlucky. She told me that she had tried w/ men and was now going to give women a try. I sat in stunned silence with the phone in my hand, many miles away. The next thing she said to me made me believe that she was my sister more than ever. "You know what the best part about it is? If it doesn't work out w/ women, there's always animals"! Get over it. This is my last post.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dirty52. Show dirty52's posts

Based on some of these posts. Some of these posters would feel right at home at the Westboro Baptist Church

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

In response to tomobo's comment:

The above  post said it all.

My lesbian sister told me she was gay when she was in her mid-40's. Prior to that, I thought she was just unlucky. She told me that she had tried w/ men and was now going to give women a try. I sat in stunned silence with the phone in my hand, many miles away. The next thing she said to me made me believe that she was my sister more than ever. "You know what the best part about it is? If it doesn't work out w/ women, there's always animals"! Get over it. This is my last post.

L

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

What is the significance of JC telling us hes gay?   I assume most people know gays exist..

I can only think its because he may be the first coming out thats a sports figure in one of the big games.. bb, baseball etc..  Puzzles me that anyone would even care. Its sports news cause its something the media can milk and get ur attention.  Its good for politicians to get behind and give their bs speech, its good for everyone surrounding JC, like teammates, coaches, other players to get on their soap box and proclaim how  proud etc..

But really, whats the significance?? So some other athlete will get the courage to say hes gay too?? and what the heck does that have to do with anything??

Now all we need is the first pro sports virgin to announce,,, so people like fierce can feel comfortable about who he is

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from VeniceSox. Show VeniceSox's posts

Wonder how many of his next team will want to shower with him. This is not something to be respected or admired.  Free country but I don't need to know his sex life.

You just gave the exact reason why people should come out.

Again free country.  You may support this type of life style but it doesn't belong in my religion.

So just what does belong in your religion? Hatred?  You are a typical bible thumper who picks and chooses what to believe from the Bible... its laughable...

You want to classify me in a group and judge me because I say I have a religion,  accuse me of hatred, also accuse me of picking and choosing what I want to believe,  yet you want to give accolades so someone that "comes out"?  Talk about laughable.  

I simply said it wasn't something to be admired or respected.  I heard on a national radio broadcast earlier that they credit him for his courage.  That I can agree with.  Admiration and respect is something I give to people that helped with the Boston bombings,  the heros so to speak,  not someone that comes out speaking of  his sexual orientation.   Admire and respect all you want,  but don't urinate down my back and tell me its raining.

Please show me my post where I gave accolades to him?  Stop making things up to make yourself look good.... thats really laughable.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from VeniceSox. Show VeniceSox's posts

In response to Karllost's comment:

What is the significance of JC telling us hes gay?   I assume most people know gays exist..

I can only think its because he may be the first coming out thats a sports figure in one of the big games.. bb, baseball etc..  Puzzles me that anyone would even care. Its sports news cause its something the media can milk and get ur attention.  Its good for politicians to get behind and give their bs speech, its good for everyone surrounding JC, like teammates, coaches, other players to get on their soap box and proclaim how  proud etc..

But really, whats the significance?? So some other athlete will get the courage to say hes gay too?? and what the heck does that have to do with anything??

Now all we need is the first pro sports virgin to announce,,, so people like fierce can feel comfortable about who he is

What is the significance? Maybe because someone of his stature as a pro athlete will show others not to be afraid of who you are? 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dirty52. Show dirty52's posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qxjocm5fCc

it only takes until 1:25 to get one of the followers of the religion of the pieces to admit that they have, according to sharia law, capital punishment for anyone being gay. 

no "bible thumpers" or any other group on the planet enacts such savagery.  why don't all you lovers of all things gay focus on your real enemy?  it's not me being fatigued with the homo-fascist agenda and the overly TMI nature of our culture right now, it's that there ARE people among us who will not think twice about murdering gays, just for being gay.

Christianity has had its moments of savagery.

There are the Crusades, Spanish Inquisition , The Salem witch hunts ,and  Northern Ireland just to name a few . All took place in the name of religion

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

In response to Karllost's comment:

What is the significance? Maybe because someone of his stature as a pro athlete will show others not to be afraid of who you are? 

Hows that work??  There are many people openly gay..

What does an NBA player have in common with an everyday Joe? Like is theres a gay person afraid to let anyone know, the fact JC came out will give him/her courage?  Who the heck even knows who JC outside of intimate NBA fans..

Understand your point, just dont buy it

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TomOBrien. Show TomOBrien's posts

I can agree that this is a courageous move b/c of all the neanderthals out there, but in the end, who really cares what he does in his bedroom? It is really of no consequence. Just another guy!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from FlobusMcNugget. Show FlobusMcNugget's posts

Some people are apparently drinking the tea...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dirty52. Show dirty52's posts

In response to FlobusMcNugget's comment:

I think you mean the kool - aid

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from FlobusMcNugget. Show FlobusMcNugget's posts

In response to dirty52's comment:

In response to FlobusMcNugget's comment:

I think you mean the kool - aid

Not in this case. ;)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

In response to R9R's comment:

umm, being gay is a choice.  there is no proof that there is a genetic link.  that ORIGINAL science from the early 1990s that "showed" gay was "genetic" was roundly debunked as trash at the time.  because the studies were FAR from pure- look into it yourself.  don't be an ignoramus your whole life. 

the "science" at hand was 1) NOT re-creatable for peer review and 2) showed INCREDIBLE bias in sampling methods, to the point where it was quite obvious that the new leftist science method of "obtain your desired result in your mind and then build your data around it" was in full force.

so what do lefties do when they have junk science?  they let it sit like dog doo on the lawn, only for YEARS and then suddenly, 6 to 8 years later they cite THAT SAME OLD GARBAGE "science" as "authoritative evidence" of whatever socio-political cause they want to advance.

oh, and i know the new whine is "but it's something about EPIgenetics!" (and we just have no idea what that may be yet but that's the company line we're going to put out while we are grasping for straws)

look no further than "gay science guru" so-called "Dr." Dean Hamer, who in 1993 rolled out JUNK SCIENCE SUPREME to try to get "two men having sex" favored minority status legally.  for hamer's trouble he was put under investigation by the US Dept of HHS and his work regarding the mythical "gay gene" was found to be FRAUDULENT by both HHS and his peers who could not even come close to replicating Hamer's "science".

And there were two more clownish acts of not-even-neo-science in the name of "gay genetics" in the early 1990s that were also quickly put to bed due to OBVIOUS sampling bias and cart-before-the-horse hack approach.  I'll leave it to you to excercise your brain ball a little bit and learn about it, I will not spoon feed you from ultimate ignoramus and delivery you into the light of truth.  but the truth is there, and it has NOTHING to do with BBT- blaming bible thumpers and all to do with scientific fraud.

and the fraudulentarian homo-fascists are still sitting there, red faced, trying to grunt out a nugget of "gay gene" science- now they hang their hats on "epi-genetics" in a profoundly vague manner, since people have dug up hamer's stinko science and are saying "look, we know this is trash".  but they have epi-genetics, they will tell you, really they do.