Jeff Green being shopped hard by Danny Ainge

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from civic82brit4112. Show civic82brit4112's posts

Jeff Green being shopped hard by Danny Ainge

What is everyone thoughts on this?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Re: Jeff Green being shopped hard by Danny Ainge

My two cents:

1. Danny knows Green has reached his ceiling and it is as a 3rd best player on a playoff team, 4th best player on a contender

2. Danny does not want Green picking up his 2016 option of 9 million because he has big plans for the summer of 2015

3. Green is a solid player who can help a contender. Wallace could too, but is untradable. Bass is undervalued around the league (in my opinion) and Ainge probably has not gotten the type of offers from him he has gotten for Green.

4. Danny will draft the SF of the future in June, be it Parker/Wiggins if we are lucky enough to land in the top 2-3 or in the teens with the Hawks/Nets pick.

5. Sell now and sell high b/c this team is seriously rebuilding and Green just makes them better in the short term and his contract will be up and he'll be 29 when the team is ready to be really good again (Isn't Rondo in the same boat?)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaktug. Show kaktug's posts

What are the realistic "big plans" for 2015? We already know FAs rarely choose boston. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaktug. Show kaktug's posts

Trading rondo and green just means our rebuild is going to take much longer than we want it to. Rondo, a legit 2, green, sully, and a legit 5, w/ Bradley and onlynik coming off the bench, is a decent top 7. Trading rondo and green just means sully is our only legit starter, so we have more holes to fill. Not saying one plan is better than the other; just pointing out the difference. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from chetgnat. Show chetgnat's posts

can't happen fast enough. he's had his chances. he's not good enough, not reliable enough and needs to go.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheBigTicket05. Show TheBigTicket05's posts

In response to Fiercy's comment:

In response to kaktug's comment:

Trading rondo and green just means our rebuild is going to take much longer than we want it to. Rondo, a legit 2, green, sully, and a legit 5, w/ Bradley and onlynik coming off the bench, is a decent top 7. Trading rondo and green just means sully is our only legit starter, so we have more holes to fill. Not saying one plan is better than the other; just pointing out the difference. 

Bingo!

+ 1

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnnyLefty. Show JohnnyLefty's posts

In response to mellymel1's comment:

No it won't -  GREEN SUCKS! You can't count on a regular contribution from the guy...he just can't play well on a consistent basis...his on court attitude just doesn't fit this team, like tonight when he tried to dunk, then immediately sulked and claimed he hurt his hand....he pulls that crud all the time..I'm tired of him and his "potential"..it's too late for his "potential" to be realized....DUMP GREEN...and if Rondo doesn't start playing D right away I say DUMP him too since he's never developed an outside s hot and won't now either...

I agree he can't be counted on night in and night out. He's a good 3rd or 4th option that's about it.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Russell1. Show Russell1's posts

In response to JohnnyLefty's comment:

In response to mellymel1's comment:

No it won't -  GREEN SUCKS! You can't count on a regular contribution from the guy...he just can't play well on a consistent basis...his on court attitude just doesn't fit this team, like tonight when he tried to dunk, then immediately sulked and claimed he hurt his hand....he pulls that crud all the time..I'm tired of him and his "potential"..it's too late for his "potential" to be realized....DUMP GREEN...and if Rondo doesn't start playing D right away I say DUMP him too since he's never developed an outside s hot and won't now either...

I agree he can't be counted on night in and night out. He's a good 3rd or 4th option that's about it.

It would need to be a deal that benefited the Celtics. I wouldnt just unload him.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxpatscelts25. Show soxpatscelts25's posts

I agree that Jeff is hard to watch sometimes, but everyone acts like 8.7 mill per year is a ton for a "3rd or 4th option". There are a lot of teams that are paying their 3rd and fourth options right around 8 or 9 million. Here are a few when all players on their team are healthy:

George Hill 4th/5th option on Pacers- 8 million (George, Hibbert, West, Granger?)

Jeff Teague 3rd/4th on Hawks- 8 million (Horford, Millsap)

Nets have 5 guys making over 12 million.... (Pierce, Garnett, Lopez, Johnson, Williams)

Taj Gibson- 7.55 million (Rose, Noah, Boozer, Deng before traded)

Rodney Stuckey- 8.5 million (Drummond, Monroe, Smith, Jennings)

Andrea Bargnani- 11.8 million (Melo, Jr smith, Felton)

Trevor Ariza- 7.7 million (Nene, Gortat, Wall, Beal)

Andre Igoudala- 12.8 (Curry, Thompson, Lee)

Jeremy Lin 8.3 (Howard, Harden, Parsons)

I could keep going but between 8 and 10 million is not uncommon for a "3rd or 4th option". Jeff has been a little disappointing but I have never really agreed with trading him. It's not like he is averaging 11 points and starting every game. The guy is averaging almost 17 points and 5 rebounds. very similar to wesley matthews in portland (who is a 4th option) who is making 7 million a year. 

You can get 3 GREAT players making over 10 million like OKC (Durant 18, Westbrook 15, Ibaka 12.3) and still pay a 4th option 9 million (perkins even though he sucks now). 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from chris33. Show chris33's posts

It's not going to be a quick rebuild this time around.

No one can predict the future.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Russell1. Show Russell1's posts

In response to chris33's comment:

No one can predict the future.

No, just spectulation. But it is interesting isnt it?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

I'd trade Green tomorrow to Atlanta for DeMarre Carroll and Elton Brand.

I'd then let Bayless, Bogans and Brand come off the books in the offseason.

I'd package Bass and Humphries (sign and trade) to Houston for Asik (if we got a pick high enough to get Parker or Wiggins).  Or I'd package them in the same way for a decent SF if we got a pick high enough to get Embiid.

The key is getting a high lottery pick - which we'll know during the playoffs (that's when they do the lottery balls).

Jeff Green is not critical to our rebuild.  Losing him does not slow down that rebuild as much as keeping him speeds it up. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Green is paid a little more than guys like Ariza and Gibson and a little less than guys like Ilyasova and Batum.

He is fairly compensated for a 4th best player and slightly overpaid for a 5th best player.

Ideally, a champion is built with:

1.)  A superstar max player (18-23 million)

- KG in '08 (up until '09 injury)

2.) A Robin to that player's Batman who is also an all-star (14-17m)

- PP '08-'10, then he was given this money '11-'13 when he was a #3 and is now in the last year of that and is a #4 now, probably a #5. This is what Rondo needs to get on his extension (5/75) if he is to stay here AND he still needs to prove he is a #2 and not a #3 (what he is currently being paid to be, we must all remember that, he is not paid to be a superstar, just borderline all-star)

3.) A borderline all-star or former all-star now getting on in years (10-13m)

- This was Allen in '08-'10, while he was still getting his #2 man cash, then in '11/'12 he was getting this money (10m) when he had fallen to #4 (Ray should NEVER complain about the way his contract was handled). Guys like David West, Duncan and KG after 2012 took this kind of cash. Green would have gotten this amount of money if he was never traded to Boston (failed in new SF role) and of course if he never had the heart condition. Guys like Batum, Noah, Iguadala, Al Jefferson take this kind of $. They are legit #3 option players.

4.) A better than MLE money player (7-9m) OR a rookie on his rookie deal (2-5m) This is Teague, Gibson, Green, Brandon Jennings.  

5.) Same as the above. If the #4 is a rookie this could be an overpaid 7-9m guy (like Perkins or Bass). This would probably be an MLE only type contract if your #4 was not a rookie and getting 7-9m

6.) 6th man, in a perfect world it is a rookie contract or a team friendly 3-4m Nick Collison type contract. Contenders need a 6th man with MLE talent and that costs 5-7m and puts them into the lux tax.

7-10) A bi-annual guy/under the MLE guy (Bayless), a veteran minimum guy, a soon to be expiring contract acquired in a trade (Joel Anthony/Keith Bogans), a guy on a rookie deal but probably not a lotto pick.

There is your 75 million a year roster built for a championship run.

Green is paid like a #4 on such a team. Lingers between nights he is a #2, and nights he is a 6th man. So he is fairly paid. But his value is to a playoff team, not a rebuilding team.

Rondo is trickier b/c as the face of the franchise only remaining '08 champion Ainge needs to hit a home run in what he gets back for him. Meanwhile Rondo makes that difficult by never quite proving he is a contender's 2nd best player, wanting to be paid like a team's BEST player and the knee injury/attitude issues.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheNewGKDynasty. Show TheNewGKDynasty's posts

What do you mean this time around??? Last time it took 22 years. Do you expect it longer this time around???

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

In response to TheNewGKDynasty's comment:

What do you mean this time around??? Last time it took 22 years. Do you expect it longer this time around???

GK - worry about your own team - the LA Nappers! HaHaHa!!!!

Thanks Jimmy!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

Fierce, getting Asik now might make us better than we need to be.

Also, I'd rather wait to see if we get a pick high enough to get Embiid.  I don't buy that he's staying at Kansas.  So if we can get him, there is no need for Asik.

Keeping this roster in tact or changing it slightly only guarantees a better lottery pick.  I'm not sure obtaining Asik now for Hump allows us to still suck as bad as we need to.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

What do you mean this time around??? Last time it took 22 years...

Wrong as usual troll.

The Celtics were the Atlantic Division champs in '05, winning 47 games and being buyers not sellers at the deadline that year. They were in the 2nd rd in '03 and the East finals in '01.

So they 'rebuilt' in '06 and '07 and were champions in '08.

This will hopefully not take as long as the rebuild before that, which started either when Bird retired in '92 or when Lewis died in '93 (take your pick) and ended when they fired Pitino, Pierce established himself as a legit superstar that you need to win a title and went to the East finals in '02.

Were the Lakers rebuilding from 1988 all the way to 2000?

Were they rebuilding the entire time between winning that last title in Minnesota (1954) and when they FINALLY won in LA (1972)????

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

In response to BCSP's comment:

Thanks Jimmy!!

Mitch - quick sign C. Kaman to big $$!! He ZZZZZ Earned it!! HaHaHa!!!!!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheNewGKDynasty. Show TheNewGKDynasty's posts

In response to BCSP's comment:

Thanks Jimmy!!

Isn't it good to be bad this season for the draft BSCP according to your mate????? Thanks Jimmy...

Cool   Wink

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Celtics rebuild once for 22 years

Lakers rebuilt twice one for 18 and another time for 12 years

Right GK??

Your logic is pretty idiotic

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaktug. Show kaktug's posts

In response to soxpatscelts25's comment:

I agree that Jeff is hard to watch sometimes, but everyone acts like 8.7 mill per year is a ton for a "3rd or 4th option". There are a lot of teams that are paying their 3rd and fourth options right around 8 or 9 million. Here are a few when all players on their team are healthy:

George Hill 4th/5th option on Pacers- 8 million (George, Hibbert, West, Granger?)

Jeff Teague 3rd/4th on Hawks- 8 million (Horford, Millsap)

Nets have 5 guys making over 12 million.... (Pierce, Garnett, Lopez, Johnson, Williams)

Taj Gibson- 7.55 million (Rose, Noah, Boozer, Deng before traded)

Rodney Stuckey- 8.5 million (Drummond, Monroe, Smith, Jennings)

Andrea Bargnani- 11.8 million (Melo, Jr smith, Felton)

Trevor Ariza- 7.7 million (Nene, Gortat, Wall, Beal)

Andre Igoudala- 12.8 (Curry, Thompson, Lee)

Jeremy Lin 8.3 (Howard, Harden, Parsons)

I could keep going but between 8 and 10 million is not uncommon for a "3rd or 4th option". Jeff has been a little disappointing but I have never really agreed with trading him. It's not like he is averaging 11 points and starting every game. The guy is averaging almost 17 points and 5 rebounds. very similar to wesley matthews in portland (who is a 4th option) who is making 7 million a year. 

You can get 3 GREAT players making over 10 million like OKC (Durant 18, Westbrook 15, Ibaka 12.3) and still pay a 4th option 9 million (perkins even though he sucks now). 

Agreed. I'm not saying Jeff will carry this team. He won't. But with a starting 5 like I described above, he'd be fine. If he's our third leading scorer at 15-18 per night, I'm happy with that. And, as you demonstracted, his salary is on par with that. 

Sections
Shortcuts