Jeff Green is a total bust

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaktug. Show kaktug's posts

Re: Jeff Green is a total bust

danny built this team. danny gave us banner 17.

PP, RA & KG played their butts off and gave us banner 17.

rondo and perk were role players to compliment the big 3. they did their jobs.

doc is a mediocre coach who let the big 3 lead the way to banner 17. he is not exceptional as a coach in any way.

now the big 3 are older and their game is not the same. doc is being exposed for being just alright. and danny is a convenient scapegoat for the whiners on this board.

THAT'S the truth. now shut up and watch. ;)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rajon-Hondo. Show Rajon-Hondo's posts

No way Green is a bust. When you go to a new team after starting and playing 30 minutes and then have to learn a new system and play maybe 20 minutes off the bench with different combos of players. Yeah your game is going to be off a little. Doc isn't helping by using at different positions and giving him uneven minutes off the bench. Green has played as well as can be expected. I put the honus on the Big 4. Leadership isn't tested when everything is going your way but when all is in disarray. The Perk trrade has been an excuse just like the missing Perk in game 7 last year. Perk only played in about 20 games this year,and last year he was almost never on the floor in end of the 4th quarter cause he has hands of stone and can't shoot free throws. The big 4 make over 60 million a year combined so I say it's time to take off your crybaby pants suck it up  and stop acting like spoiled sulking brats and start playing like men. If Doc wants consistency from this team he also has to be more consistent in assigning minutes and roles PDQ. I say sit the big 4 for the last 2 games and get the second unit 35+ and get the end of the bench 15 minutes or so the next 2 games. Make these games count for the playoff run,nobody is going to remember these last 2 games anyway. So quit using Perk as a crutch and grow up boys or the big four will be mere footnote in Celtic and NBA history and thats the bottom line.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

In Response to Re: Jeff Green is a total bust:
    In Response to Re: Jeff Green is a total bust : Do you really think Green is going to want to resign with the Celtics.........NOT
    Posted by damfuno

Just what i was thinking!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

Id have to agree on alot of things acie posted. Doc doesnt manage minutes well even though he preaches limiting the older guys minutes every season.  Green not getting much minutes or points anymore...He was getting us 10-15 a night, what happened?  KRistic too... Wafer was playing exceptional right before his injury... Now hes back and rotting on the bench. I think sometimes Docs solution is "let them work it out"  ... he says the right things like yesterday..."KEEP IT SIMPLE"... once the thread the needle passes and crosscourt hero passes started, we started turning the ball over and the HEat got the momentum... OK Doc, good observation... but the stupid turnovers continued... and what did you do? Right, nothing... HE wont pull a starter... nope, not until the script on his clipboard says its time.  No accountability... ROndos early wild layup that was lucky it didnt hit the scoreboard... his herky/jerky passes in the lane in bad spots... just continued.. Pull him out DOc! Let him understand this just cant continue without some consequence.  Rondo was getting himself in trouble in the lane, then flippin off a pass in the direction of a teammate... forcing uncomfortable possessions and bad results.
    Posted by Karllost

You can't give Green more minutes because the only position he plays well. is small forward. paul pierce's position. So putting Green on the floor means taking pierce. Off. When he comes in and plays poward forward, Kevin Garnett's posiiton. he gets torched. His man scores more points than he does. Not a good recipe to win. 

Also, I'm sorry, but Krystic's 2 point, 1 rebound, no defense performence, did not get me begging to see more of him. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

danny built this team. danny gave us banner 17. PP, RA & KG played their butts off and gave us banner 17. rondo and perk were role players to compliment the big 3. they did their jobs. doc is a mediocre coach who let the big 3 lead the way to banner 17. he is not exceptional as a coach in any way. now the big 3 are older and their game is not the same. doc is being exposed for being just alright. and danny is a convenient scapegoat for the whiners on this board. THAT'S the truth. now shut up and watch. ;)
    Posted by kaktug

Everything you said is backwards. Doc is a good coach, whose Gm made a trade that 

A) the Laker Players celebrated.
    b) The bulls players celebrated
    c) the heat players celebrated.

I consider that a bad sign. I further became convinced it was a bad sign, when the celtics began playing 500 ball and losing to teams they used to beat by 20 points.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MsLithium21. Show MsLithium21's posts

In Response to Re: Jeff Green is a total bust : Do you really think Green is going to want to resign with the Celtics.........NOT
    Posted by damfuno

And who's fault would THAT be?  I don't know the exact answer to that rhetorical question, but it would certainly not be Green's. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kccorwin. Show kccorwin's posts

The Celtics played without Perk the whole year so I still don't think this trade made as big a difference as people are writing about. I think having both Oneals out has taken a toll on the rest of the team. It's time to concede second place and rest everybody this week and let the second unit get a lot of playing time to work out any problems they have.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rayman7. Show rayman7's posts

Jeff Green, after all this time, still looks like a deer caught in the headlights.

He is supposed to be an energy guy, a guy who brings instant offense off the bench. I don't see that happening.

I still hear Tommy grinding his teeth every time he speaks Jeff Green's name, almost saying that, if he only had more confidence, if he only got what Doc wants and need from him . .   it ain't gonna happen, not as long as he looks like a deer caught in the headlights.

Wait till the big spotlight of the playoffs, when Green more than likely just disappears.

What a joke, and we got people advocating starting Jeff Green.

Green is a bust, not built for a big market team, and If I'm wrong, I will eat my words, but even Nate won a playoff game for us, even Tony Allen, even Perk, but will Jeff Green ever win a playoff game for us, . . . I will wait with baited breath, but I will not hold my breath waiting for it to happen.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from teh-n00b. Show teh-n00b's posts

green is neither a bust nor a stud.

he's one of those players who was exactly what they were expected to be.

no 5 pick in a weak draft

he's good enough to be a starter, but not allstar quality

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rayman7. Show rayman7's posts

green is neither a bust nor a stud. he's one of those players who was exactly what they were expected to be. no 5 pick in a weak draft he's good enough to be a starter, but not allstar quality

Posted by teh-n00b

Well said, and true enough. Except for two things: he's not good enough to be a starter on this team, and he's not even good enough to fulfill the role expected of him coming off the Celtic's bench.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rayman7. Show rayman7's posts

In Response to Re: Jeff Green is a total bust : Everything you said is backwards. Doc is a good coach, whose Gm made a trade that  A) the Laker Players celebrated. b) The bulls players celebrated c) the heat players celebrated. I consider that a bad sign. I further became convinced it was a bad sign, when the celtics began playing 500 ball and losing to teams they used to beat by 20 points.

Posted by jtkl

A bad sign indeed.

In a game of subs vs subs, Wednesday, when Jeff Green had a chance to really step up as a floor leader and dominate the offense, he again was passive and did not assert himself.  He failed to lead the team in any statistical category, while Avery Bradley and Von Wafer played very aggressively in taking it to other team, and Sasha Pavolvic showcased his value as  a cool headed professional who handled his role in the game perfectly, knocking down threes and playing good D.

Danny & Doc continually complain about Green's lack of assertiveness and confidence, and this last game was a chance for him to show them he can be assertive and confidant. He had some good moments, but nothing to convince anyone that he will be first off the bench over Baby. 

As for starting Green, anyone advocating for that must be hoping for a starter to get injured - that's the only way Green will start on this team. 

Green is not a starter on this team and is not even fulfilling his role off the bench very well.

He's a very nice person, though.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

In Response to Re: Jeff Green is a total bust : You can't give Green more minutes because the only position he plays well. is small forward. paul pierce's position. So putting Green on the floor means taking pierce. Off. When he comes in and plays poward forward, Kevin Garnett's posiiton. he gets torched. His man scores more points than he does. Not a good recipe to win.  Also, I'm sorry, but Krystic's 2 point, 1 rebound, no defense performence, did not get me begging to see more of him. 
    Posted by jtkl

Green can sub for Paul or Ray (move Paul to the 2)...
    ...ironically, if Rondo had started shooting more (he's making 15-20 footers now like any player) Danny may not have felt he need to move Perk. Danny and others said it was 3 on 5 for the Celts on O with Perk and Rondo, but now with Rondo hitting it's not...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from df2. Show df2's posts

When I was a kid, one my first jobs was working at a restaurant. There was this old guy that was just miserable to be around. He had been there for around fifteen years. Nobody could get a word out of him that wasn't work related. Completely unsociable joyless human being that walked around with a sad/angry look on his face every minute of every day. I don't even remember his name. But I remember how depressing it was to deal with him.

That's what Jeff Green reminds of. His facial expressions scream "I hate being here." It's not even the the Kendrick Perkins angry scoul that seems to be so popular in the NBA nowadays. He just looks miserable. Like playing basketball is the last thing on Earth he wants to be doing.

Ainge gutted this team for Green when he already had Wafer who is clearly a better player. I've been saying it from day one. Danny Ainge scares me. It's his strength of conviction that I find unnerving. He is still defending the trade and claiming that it made this team better for this season. I hope it's just for show and that he isn't really that stupid. But I'm starting to suspect my hopes aere misplaced.

Not to mention all the lying coming out of the Celtics front office on the injury front. I'm starting to get a little tired of this group. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MinnesotaCelticsFan. Show MinnesotaCelticsFan's posts

Until the play-offs, all estimations of what the Celtics can do are premature. Remember last year?

I was against the trade, but I am somewhat more open minded. He may do better in the play-offs.

Green was a starter for the OK Thunder, and here he is a back-up. Krstic was a starter but here, he will be a third string center.

The real question that should be asked, is why would anyone would trade a Celtic starter, and a back up player, for two players destined to be back up players? 

Next year? ... not able to sign Perk? What about the lock-out? Phil Jackson says that he doubts there will even be a season ... next year.

So... we traded a starter for a second string 3/4, and a third string 5?

This trade completely shocked the media, and this fan. 

The future? The future is a lockout, and most likely, a Doc and KG retirement.

Instead of making a reasonable decision, not to change a winning starting five, Danny remembered the 80s Celtics, and the damaged starters at the end of their careers. He has lamented in the past that if they had traded the big three, the future would have been different.

In essence, Danny created an unprecedented trade, against all odds. He dismantled one of the most dominant defensive starting fives in history, to satisfy his 1980s anxiety, and collect a couple of back up players.

I still believe that if Shaq comes back, the Celtics will contend for the title.
    The question her is will he be able to stay on the floor?

If not, Bill Buckner can visit Boston again because his mistake will be small by comparison.

Jeff Green? Give the kid a chance.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

I cant agree with that acie.  when the thunder played they were ten points a game better when Jeff Green was on the bench. This isn't a new thing with Green. He was defensive liability who didn't rebound in Oklahoma and he still is. 
    Posted by jtkl

I can't agree with Acie, either.  He has a right to his opinion, but every Celtic problem in his mind is due to Doc Rivers.  So, we all know Acie has no respect for Doc.  He has put it in every thread he's been on recently.

I agree with MsLithium.  Jeff played good D in college and picked up bad habits in OKC.  OKC is well known for their TERRIBLE defense.  Barkely harks on it all the time.  That's why they needed Perk.   Green, in the meantime, went from one of their big 3 to on the bench.  We can't expect him to just step in here and be a starter after being replaced/losing his position on a team that is NOT as good as the Celts.

And as for Ray, Acie - I agree Ray has played too many minutes, but its not as bad as it seems.  Ray is in great shape and Wafer was NOT available all the time.  In the beginning, he had the Green and Nate Robinson disease - he couldn't play Celtic Defense.  Then, he was getting better and got hurt.   Marquis was NEVEr capable of playing shooting guard.  he was a black hole of a 3 player and while Pierce was capable of playing some 2, that didn't save him minutes.  Ray and Pierce both didn't have good subs all year.   That's Danny's issue and the injury bug, not Doc's issue.   Step trying to blame EVERY problem on Doc.   he's managed our injury situation as well as anyone could.

last but most important - DON'T panic, guys.  Doc and the veterans know what they are doing. They would love to have won more games but like everyone on this Board knows:  1. We need a center and he's been injured for something like 57 games!! and 2. our entire bench got injured and changed out so it took time to get them ready and we had NO practice time to do that and 3. These veterans are much more focused and energized during the playoffs, including Rondo.

Have faith, fellow fans.  Celts will make a great playoff run. Don't know if we will win it all, but we will make a great run for sure.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"He was touted as the best player in the trade." 

And THAT is the problem here. Some did say that, including Bob Ryan. Part of that theory is that Green was being held back in OKC. 

The fact is that Green was nowhere near the best player in this trade. Not unless Perk develops further knee problems. 

Green isn't a bust from what I can see, but he is a role player. A nice role player but a role player. He'll have a chance to prove his mettle in just a couple days guarding Carmelo. We'll soon find out what he's made of. 

Green is a victim of raised expectations given that he was a major piece in a trade that is growing increasingly unpopular. 

But bust is too strong a word. Having said that, he is a restricted free agent in the offseason and I have a hard time thinking the Celts will match his best offer unless he raises his game in the playoffs. Of course, if Green has a bad playoffs and isn't re-signed, it makes the Perk trade that much more questionable.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

It is not a fact that Green was not the best player in the trade; that is an opinion, for which no facts are offered to support other than another opinion that he is a role player (which ignores that before he was a role player, he was a starter). But I do agree that the playoffs will determine who Jeff Green is as a player, and I recognize that too is an opinion, just one I agree with.
    "Opinions are like ars holes. Everybody's got one and everyone thinks everyone else's stinks."

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tabuckiss. Show Tabuckiss's posts

ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!  This must have been started by the gilted lover of Perk!  Green will pay off in the future but right now he is not cracking the starting five and will play a role player!  Very important if not vital!  Quit smoking crack and REALLY watch him on TV!  Maybe you all were on the john when you missed his contributions...get a dvr...you can pause it, shake it and return to live TV....then you wouldn't waste space here with your little league assessments...!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MinnesotaCelticsFan. Show MinnesotaCelticsFan's posts

Kirk,

Thanks for the kind words.

I guess if your goal is to be competitive in the regular season then at least on paper, it could have made some sense. The reality has been something else. Things have not been going well.

On the other hand, if your goal was to win a championship, and compete against other championship contenders in the play-offs, then why would you blow up a proven championship combination for one that is questionable?

The 2008 Celtics championship team was first and foremost, the most devastating defensive team in the NBA, and maybe in NBA history. The last two years, the Celtics were dealing with an injured and recovering KG. Now he is healthy and playing at a similar level to the championship year. Defense was their calling card, and all teams feared the Celtic going into the play-offs when defense matters most.

The regular season is a practice season when defense is not usually played at as a high level, and referees call a tighter game to set the tone, and some would say, create more up tempo scoring. In the play-offs, referees tend to call a looser game and allow a more physical brand of basketball. As a result most of the up-tempo scoring goes away, and half court play dominates.

While I love Shaq's Scoring, he is too slow to guard the young bigs in this league. As a result, he gets into foul trouble early, with reach in fouls. JO is also slow, but faster than Shaq. What Perk gave us was the ability to "stop" Bynum when we needed to stop Bynum, and to play stifling defense in the play-offs as a team during key stretches. We no longer have that ability. 

So "THE GAMBLE" will become an infamous part of Boston sports history if we do not win the championship. Did we need to trade a starter and part of a proven championship starting combination for a second string back up, and a third string center? ...or could we have made due with a lesser back-up for Pierce, perhaps a defensive specialist like Brewer, who was a lesser talent, but available.

I have a wait and see attitude about the "Shaq Celtics". We have not yet seen them play in the play-offs. I hope to God that Danny's luck holds, and the Celtics can win with the current combination of players. The point is, that we will not know until they win or lose the championship.

By the way, Erden was never going to be more than a third string center, so why waste the tears?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from rayman7. Show rayman7's posts

In Response to Re: Jeff Green is a total bust : I can't agree with Acie, either.  He has a right to his opinion, but every Celtic problem in his mind is due to Doc Rivers.  So, we all know Acie has no respect for Doc.  He has put it in every thread he's been on recently. I agree with MsLithium.  Jeff played good D in college and picked up bad habits in OKC.  OKC is well known for their TERRIBLE defense.  Barkely harks on it all the time.  That's why they needed Perk.   Green, in the meantime, went from one of their big 3 to on the bench.  We can't expect him to just step in here and be a starter after being replaced/losing his position on a team that is NOT as good as the Celts. And as for Ray, Acie - I agree Ray has played too many minutes, but its not as bad as it seems.  Ray is in great shape and Wafer was NOT available all the time.  In the beginning, he had the Green and Nate Robinson disease - he couldn't play Celtic Defense.  Then, he was getting better and got hurt.   Marquis was NEVEr capable of playing shooting guard.  he was a black hole of a 3 player and while Pierce was capable of playing some 2, that didn't save him minutes.  Ray and Pierce both didn't have good subs all year.   That's Danny's issue and the injury bug, not Doc's issue.   Step trying to blame EVERY problem on Doc.   he's managed our injury situation as well as anyone could. last but most important - DON'T panic, guys.  Doc and the veterans know what they are doing. They would love to have won more games but like everyone on this Board knows:  1. We need a center and he's been injured for something like 57 games!! and 2. our entire bench got injured and changed out so it took time to get them ready and we had NO practice time to do that and 3. These veterans are much more focused and energized during the playoffs, including Rondo. Have faith, fellow fans.  Celts will make a great playoff run. Don't know if we will win it all, but we will make a great run for sure.

Posted by Celtsfan4life

I like your "keep the faith" attitude in your post CL4L, you make a lot of good points and keep it on the up & up.

Will be C's be alright after the trade? These playoffs will tell.  Some fans here have been harping that Green should start.  That's funny, because the entire team struggled down the stretch is that a reason to change the starting rotation? 

It's a ridiculous notion which has put more focus on Green who really hasn't been able to fill his role off the bench.  He is the 2nd guy off the bench behind Baby, and Doc & Danny expect Green to bring energy and instant offense when he comes in.  Too often he looks tentative and lost and passive out there.  No to mention his defensive laspses.

Green will be alright, someday, certainly, he has the offensive talent if he can learn to be aggressive, but he is not a starter on this team, this year, going into the playoffs. 

But is he a total bust, no, but he has not lived up to our, Doc's or Danny's expectations either.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

Ainge traded for Green because Daniels got hurt. So Jeff Green is Marquis Daniels' replacement. Marquis played 49 games for the Cs and averaged 5.5 ppg in 19.1 minutes per game. With the Celtics Jeff Green played a total of 26 games and averaged 9.8 ppg in 23.5 minutes per game. Do the math and you'll know Jeff Green is an upgrade over Marquis Daniels. If the Celtics didn't make a move then Pavlovic would be the only option at the backup SF spot. Right now the Celtics are going to have to face Melo, Lebron, and possibly Deng in the ECF. No dominant Center in the way unless the Magic, which I think will beat the Bulls, will end up in the ECF.
    Posted by Fiercest34

Noah will destroy any center the Cs put on the floor - he is young, extremely athletic, very active, will block shots, and get every rebound available.  Not quite dominant but certainly better than anything the Cs are going to put on the floor.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

Ainge traded for Green because Daniels got hurt. So Jeff Green is Marquis Daniels' replacement. Marquis played 49 games for the Cs and averaged 5.5 ppg in 19.1 minutes per game. With the Celtics Jeff Green played a total of 26 games and averaged 9.8 ppg in 23.5 minutes per game. Do the math and you'll know Jeff Green is an upgrade over Marquis Daniels. If the Celtics didn't make a move then Pavlovic would be the only option at the backup SF spot. Right now the Celtics are going to have to face Melo, Lebron, and possibly Deng in the ECF. No dominant Center in the way unless the Magic, which I think will beat the Bulls, will end up in the ECF.
    Posted by Fiercest34

You wouldn't know anything about a couple missing posts, would you?

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts