Jeff Green is the Celtic's Jon Lester

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

Jeff Green is the Celtic's Jon Lester

i don't know why we didn't believe in Lester from the get-go. He started the year pitching like an Ace, but everyone was still skeptical. It literally took until game 5 of the WS for the world to realize, yup, Lester in an Ace.

I think Green is the same in a lot of ways. You know the talent is there. It just not blatent. It seems like Jeff takes possessions and/or games off at times. Even after his monster games against Miami last year and against NYK in the playoffs, fans were skeptical.

Both Lester and Green are in that gray zone of are you an underpaid superstar or overpaid potential that you're never going to attain. It took a world series win to cement the "ace" status for Lester and I think it wll take a remarkable season by Green to cement an "allstar" status of him as well. Both are absolutely critical to the success of their teams. There is no way the Sox win the WS without Lester throwing out of his mind. There is no way the Celtics will make a quick turnaround without Jeff playing out of his mind.

I think their personalities match too. Both can be pensive at times. Quiet. Reserved. Require instigation from their coaches and teammates. Both are trying to find that sense of confidence. Lester has found his. Will Jeff?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

Re: Jeff Green is the Celtic's Jon Lester

Hey everyone...  About face!!  Lets all jump on the Jeff Green "will be great" bandwagon now and get back to hating on Rondo.      

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonIrishGuy. Show BostonIrishGuy's posts

IF GREEN IS LESTER...THEN WHO IS THE CELTS BIG PAPPI? WHO IS THEIR PEDEY? WHAT ABOUT KOJI? LACKEY? VICTORINO? ELLSBURY?

MY POINT IS, LESTER CAN'T DO IT ALONE. NEED A TEAM EFFORT. WHO ELSE ON THE CELTICS IS THAT TYPE OF CALIBUR?????

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Zinga_zinga. Show Zinga_zinga's posts

In response to R9R's comment:

i don't know why we didn't believe in Lester from the get-go. He started the year pitching like an Ace, but everyone was still skeptical. It literally took until game 5 of the WS for the world to realize, yup, Lester in an Ace.

I think Green is the same in a lot of ways. You know the talent is there. It just not blatent. It seems like Jeff takes possessions and/or games off at times. Even after his monster games against Miami last year and against NYK in the playoffs, fans were skeptical.

Both Lester and Green are in that gray zone of are you an underpaid superstar or overpaid potential that you're never going to attain. It took a world series win to cement the "ace" status for Lester and I think it wll take a remarkable season by Green to cement an "allstar" status of him as well. Both are absolutely critical to the success of their teams. There is no way the Sox win the WS without Lester throwing out of his mind. There is no way the Celtics will make a quick turnaround without Jeff playing out of his mind.

I think their personalities match too. Both can be pensive at times. Quiet. Reserved. Require instigation from their coaches and teammates. Both are trying to find that sense of confidence. Lester has found his. Will Jeff?

No way. You are either underrating Lester or completely overrating Jeff Green.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MitchUnderpants. Show MitchUnderpants's posts

In response to R9R's comment:

As much as I'd like to, not so sure I agree with this.  Lester's a staff ace, someone that you build around.  Jeff Green is not.  Don't get me wrong, Jeff's a great player and vital to the C's success.  However, he's more complimentary.  Someone that you'd love to pair with an already established ace.  For the C's to be a legit contender, along with Green, they will also have to have somebody better than Green.  Which isn't the case for Lester. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

I'll point out a couple of differences: 

1. Before folks lost faith in Jon Lester, he was one of the very best players on a team that won a CHAMPSIONSHIP. Green can't say that. 

2. Jon was arguably the MVP on a championship-level team (or in that discussion). Green will likely never be that. 

3. While you are correct that Lester and Green both have mental issues in the game they have to overcome, Green's issues are about passivity and lack of focus and intensity. Jon's issues were that he was too intense and too angry and got flustered. He had to learn how to dial it down a notch but he is almost intimidating on the mound when he is on. Jeff Green wouldn't be intimidating if he hung out in a pre school, that's not in his nature. 

Not ever player that is inconsistent becomes consistent. I would love for you to be right on Jeff Green but so far he has not championship experience in the back of his brain to fall back on. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

I wasn't comparing Jon Lester today with Jeff Green today. I think Green is at where Lester was a year ago, coming off a 4+ ERA year, on a losing team with no shot.

Maybe you don't pay attention to the sports media, but there was a common consensus questioning Jon Lester all through this year, even when he got off to a good start.

Obviously Lester today has just given a MVP worthy effort in the world series run. Jeff is not even close to that. I just think they are similar.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from shamrock1000. Show shamrock1000's posts

In response to Eldunker's comment:

Hey everyone...  About face!!  Lets all jump on the Jeff Green "will be great" bandwagon now and get back to hating on Rondo.      

+1

Sections
Shortcuts