Jeff Green - Start over Brandon Bass

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hondosack1. Show hondosack1's posts

Jeff Green - Start over Brandon Bass

Can someone please tell me why Doc doesn't start Jeff Green over Brandon Bass? Higher basketball IQ, better production, good with the starters..........what am I missing? BB has been the model of inconsistency this year and Jeff is starting to show his true colors. When Jeff did get the opportunity to start, he scored 31 pts. With Jeff Green in the lineup, you have a formidable starting five: KG, PP, JG, AB, CL...........not bad and can compete with most teams. I believe BB introduces a weakness in the starting lineup.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

Re: Jeff Green - Start over Brandon Bass

In response to hondosack1's comment:

Can someone please tell me why Doc doesn't start Jeff Green over Brandon Bass? Higher basketball IQ, better production, good with the starters..........what am I missing? BB has been the model of inconsistency this year and Jeff is starting to show his true colors. When Jeff did get the opportunity to start, he scored 31 pts. With Jeff Green in the lineup, you have a formidable starting five: KG, PP, JG, AB, CL...........not bad and can compete with most teams. I believe BB introduces a weakness in the starting lineup.

I think its obvious that JG is a better player.  The only defense I can think of is that we are playing well now and have been for a while.  Why change up the makeup of the team and possibly damage the chemistry?  Jeff has got into a great groove giving us excellent play coming off the bench helping our bench players.  He is also usually in the game when its crunch time.  Thats the reason I wouldn't mess with anything right now.  Nothing wrong with a great 6th man.  Maybe next year he can move Paul to the bench.  That would be the time to make this kind of adjustment.  Sully will have Bass' spot in the starting lineup next year.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdLewsBias. Show BirdLewsBias's posts

I think you have to have something coming off the bench. It balances out our offense so when PP comes off the court we still have Terry and Green on the 2nd unit. Personally I would rather see Wilcox start with KG and have Bass play with the 2nd unit with Green at SF and Randolph/White at C.

Starting Wilcox with KG would improve our interior defense and rebounding...giving us more size.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

I agree with your thinking man....and I have said all along that Green would be a beast once he started getting minutes and was able to establish some rhythm (confidance)...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

In response to BirdLewsBias' comment:

I think you have to have something coming off the bench. It balances out our offense so when PP comes off the court we still have Terry and Green on the 2nd unit. Personally I would rather see Wilcox start with KG and have Bass play with the 2nd unit with Green at SF and Randolph/White at C.

Starting Wilcox with KG would improve our interior defense and rebounding...giving us more size.

Again,  why tinker with something thats working.  If KG or Wilcox get into foul trouble it changes minutes and rotations.  Earlier in the year I would have agreed with you.  Now, Wilcox coming in for KG keeps us a little big anyway.  If they both had to be subbed at the same time then we are going ultra small.  I don't look for the new guys to get much unless they are killing it in practice.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Green should start a few games.  Let's see what happens.  It worked in Phoenix.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JG9000. Show JG9000's posts

In response to concord27's comment:

Green should start a few games.  Let's see what happens.  It worked in Phoenix.

i thinks what's important is that Green got 28 minutes. coming off the bench gives them a big boost. i would have liked to see Randolf or White play at least a minute or two last night. hopefully they will eat up some of Bass's minutes if Doc plays them. great road win though.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdLewsBias. Show BirdLewsBias's posts

OneonOne, I think you can manage fouls...KG comes out at the 5 min mark anyway. I would never base who I start on foul trouble...that's negative thinking. The positives outweight the negatives by starting Wilcox and KG. Based on your logic if we started Green and we got in foul trouble we'd never have any firepower coming off the bench.

I tend to look at a 2nd unit as a scoring unit, your 1st unit is a tone setter...physical play, scoring, size, defense, etc. The 2nd unit holds leads or extends leads. This is why Wedman and McHale were good on the 2nd unit...quick points. Vinnie Johnson and Budda Edwards...quick points. Your 2nd unit should be primarily scorers...Terry, Crawford, Green and Bass

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

BirdLewisBias

Hey if thats what you think that fine with me.  I just would rather keep the consistancy that we have got going.  My logic didn't have anything to do with Green getting in foul trouble,  it was our only two bigs that we have playing at the moment. Yes KG comes out after 5 minutes but Wilcox only plays 13 minutes a game anyway.  If one gets in trouble we have another  "big" to come in.

If Green was starting and he got in foul trouble, how could that hurt what the bench is doing? My reasoning for not starting Green has nothiing to do with foul trouble or anything other than keeping the same chemistry going.    As long as he gets minutes I could care less. You don't think we would lose anything from the bench if Jeff was starting?  He gets the ball a lot more with that group than he would with the starters.

I am pretty sure Doc is not going to make any changes in the lineup at this point because of the same reasons I listed,   or some of them anyway.  If he does change things at this pt I would be very surprised.

Anyway I am just happy we are winning and want to continue.  If Doc decides to do the things you want  I will support that as well.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In response to Kirk6's comment:

Green is not a 4.

Better to start Wilcox over Bass.

But you think Green is a 2.

Got it.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

It's time for Wilcox to start and play more than 16 minutes a game. Terry needs more time on the bench and Crawford needs to get his minutes.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdLewsBias. Show BirdLewsBias's posts

OneonOne, this is why we signed White and Randolph...we need to use them along with Wilcox and KG as our bigs. Look last year we rotated KG, Steimer and Hollins. I hope that Doc will eventually get Randolph/White in the mix. We can't keep counting on KG and Wilcox as our only bigs. Playing White/Randolph are free fouls and rest mins for Wilcox and KG.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mchampion. Show Mchampion's posts

In response to BirdLewsBias' comment:

OneonOne, this is why we signed White and Randolph...we need to use them along with Wilcox and KG as our bigs. Look last year we rotated KG, Steimer and Hollins. I hope that Doc will eventually get Randolph/White in the mix. We can't keep counting on KG and Wilcox as our only bigs. Playing White/Randolph are free fouls and rest mins for Wilcox and KG.

Yes we can and we will.  White and Randolf are cannon fodder.  They are end of the bench emergency help only.  They will never see the time of day unless someone is hurt.  We need to trade for a big man this offseason to help KG as he begins to think about retirement.