Jeff Green's Game is Emerging!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Re: Jeff Green's Game is Emerging!

In response to rameakap's comment:

Bass is 4.9 boards in about 25 minutes.  Horrible.

Green is 3.2 in 24 minutes.  Pathetic.

Like I said I like the rest of Greens game a lot, but a lot of shooting guards are better rebounders than Green. 

Of course you want more rebounds from Green, esp as a combo-forward, but thats not 'pathetic' as a shooter-slasher. Bass is worse IMO.

As exclusively a SF, 3.2 in 24 mins puts him at about 4.7 in starters mins (36). Pierce averaged exactly 5 boards a game the past 3 years playing a little over 34 mins a game. Granted when Paul was 25-28 years old he played 36-39 minutes a game and pulled down 6-7 rebounds a game.

But I think you'd be hard pressed to find 'a lot' of SG's who average over 4.7 rebounds per 36 minutes snake. Unless you have a list ready.

[/QUOTE]

As a matter of fact I found 14.  http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/player/_/stat/rebounds/sort/avg48Rebounds

Green averages 6.5 boards per 48 minutes.  that puts him at 136 in the NBA. Espn says green is a pf and it ranks him 50 out of 50 in that category. I know he plays more SF than PF but just saying.

if you put him at SF he would have 36 other SF's ahead of him.

SG's and Pg's  who board better this year per 48 minutes  then green are:

Bryant, Singler, Sefalosa, Wade, Kidd, Bledsoe, Westbrook, Barton, JR Smith, Vince carter, Tony Allen, Igoudala, Tucker, 

I stand by pathetic.  Like I said the rest of his game I like a lot.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

And those are all career avg's for those guys

Green per 36 mins avg's 5.8 rebounds per game in his career

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

I am talking about this year. I just posted the link. 14 sgs and pgs get more boards per 48 than Green.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Green is coming on pretty strong. 

I'm wary of getting too excited about his dunks as we need consistent play not highlight real flashes but that block was seriously awesome. 

If Green can keep at this level we are a much better team and we can make better use of Pierce's minutes as well and not wear him out 

I will refrain from calling Green a stiff until further notice and see if he can sustain it. If he can, I may well have to eat some real crow on him. We'll see. I wouldn't mind eating it.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

I do it out of 36 minutes, but like I said, He needs to rebound more, but not much more than 1 a game if he's only playing 24 minutes, to be right there with what you expect from a SF. 2.5 more a game if he's getting big mins at PF.

Bass is still more pathetic.

I counted 13 on that list, and Will Barton and his 10 mins per game don't count. so of the 12 guys the ones that surprise me are Vince (notoriously soft and older than Green), P.J. Tucker, Kyle Singler, Lance Stephenson, Kyle Singler and Eric Bledsoe (a PG).

The others are the rugged guards like Wade, Iggy, Sefolosha, TA who I thought we better rebounders than him. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:

Green is coming on pretty strong. 

I'm wary of getting too excited about his dunks as we need consistent play not highlight real flashes but that block was seriously awesome. 

If Green can keep at this level we are a much better team and we can make better use of Pierce's minutes as well and not wear him out 

I will refrain from calling Green a stiff until further notice and see if he can sustain it. If he can, I may well have to eat some real crow on him. We'll see. I wouldn't mind eating it.

Why are the dunks significant? They show his aggressiveness on the court is ramping-up! 

And to think this is a guy who is just 1-year removed from open heart surgery! It really is an amazing story! 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

JG should have gotten an invite to the slam-dunk contest on All-Star weekend! 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

Jeff Green excelling at individual defense, ...no really

By Jeremy Gottlieb on Jan 16

Jared Wickerham

Jeff Green is stepping up the way Celtics' fans have been waiting for, but not just on the offensive end

The Celtics are on fire and you know who else is?

Avery Bradley?

Yep.

Courtney Lee?

Uh-huh.

Jeff Green?

Um, really? No way!

It's true. Uncle Jeff has been fantastic over the course of the team's current, six-game win streak, finally showing more than just a glimpse of all the talent and ability and potential Danny Ainge has been salivating over since acquiring him for Kendrick Perkins almost two years ago. Green looks like he gets it.

He's doing it in a variety of ways. Just by doing the eye test, we can see that he's consistently playing more aggressively, taking more initiative and not appearing so passive all the time. He's going to the rim more and not hesitating so much when he gets the ball on the wing or in the corner for an open jumper, or when he gets the ball on the block with a smaller, slower player trying to guard him.

But he's also doing it with defense. Earlier this week, ESPN Boston's Chris Forsbergpointed out that Green has been a wonder on D from an individual standpoint, ninth among all NBA players with at least 200 plays this season in points per play allowed at 0.721, according to Synergy Sports data.

The numbers look good elsewhere as well. According to Hoopsdata, Green's defensive play rating clocks in at a healthy 1.25, tied with Lee for the highest number among the Celts' second unit members. He's also blocking shots at a higher rate than anyone on the roster save for Kevin Garnett and Brandon Bass and his defensive win share, like the play rating, leads the reserves.

There's no doubt that these stats, along with the 12.5 points, four rebounds and roughly 50 percent shooting in 24 minutes per game over the last four games are major factors in the emergence of the second unit as a huge weapon for the Celts.

Forsberg later points out that Celtics' coach Doc Rivers still wants to see improvement from Green in his help defense and rotation ability. Nothing wrong with that at all. Rivers has presided over championship-level defenses over the past five-plus years so he clearly know what's necessary for both Green and the team as a whole to reach an elite level on that side of the ball. And given the strides made by Green over the course of this winning streak and this season, it's not a stretch to see that kind of improvement on the horizon.

So stop picking on Green, Celts' fans (hello, self!). He's finally figuring out how to get the job done all over the court.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

Jeff Green's Individual Defense Has Been Fantastic! 

Jeff Green has had his share of highlight reel dunks during the Celtics recent win streak, but he’s good for more than a few posters and the occasional corner three. According to ESPN’s Chris Forsberg, Jeff Green’s defense has been excellent this season:

Green’s individual defense has quietly been fantastic. According to Synergy Sports data, Green is allowing a mere 0.721 points per play this season, ranking him in the 91st percentile among all players. But narrow that list down to all players with at least 200 defensive plays this season and Green actually ranks ninth overall (only teammate Jared Sullinger — 0.718 points per play, seventh overall — is better for Boston this season).

Before we go celebrating Jeff Green’s development as a lockdown defender and the second coming of Scottie Pippen, it’s important to remember that stats are nothing with out context. Green’s physical gifts make him a good defender in isolation, but he has still struggled as a help defender, something Doc Rivers was quick to point out:

“He has to improve defensively,” said Rivers. “If Jeff has one area, that’s the area. It’s not on the ball, he’s pretty good there. It’s usually in rotations, then stopping the guy he’s rotating to. He’s long and he’s not used to getting down defensively, but that’s an area he has to improve for us.”

“That’s his next step, though.”

The stats back Doc up too; according to NBA.com the Celtics are 1.5 points better defensively when Green sits (they are also 3.6 points better offensively with Green on the bench, a more concerning number, but not an entirely unexpected one given Green has only played 50% of his 757 minutes with Rondo). Green is still working on becoming a better help defender in the Celtics system, and that may take some time. He isn’t the first person to struggle with it, and he won’t be the last. But Jeff Green was brought back for one reason this year: to stop slow bother LeBron James. If Green’s individual numbers are any indication, he may be able to do just that, and that would be an invaluable asset for any team that has championship aspirations. If he can keep up his recent scoring pace, even better! 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Awesome articles, its much more important that Green play incredible defense on the Lebron's and Melo's of the world than get 5 rebounds instead of 3.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Awesome articles, its much more important that Green play incredible defense on the Lebron's and Melo's of the world than get 5 rebounds instead of 3.

I totally agree.

I said I love his game, I just wish he was a better rebounder.

I think everybody does, including Green.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

In response to snakeoil123's comment:

I totally agree.

Jeff Green is who DOC/Danny think he is. I love his abilities. I just think he is only now starting to get really comfortable with bringing it hard every night after being somewhat tentaive with having his chest cracked open for the heart surgery. That has got to take a long time to get over, psychologically. He looks great, and certainly has the skills to be the next big thing. A little more time and I think he'll be crashing the boards a bit more often too. Me, I'd be still in the fetal position thinking, "Don't touch me, my heart might fall outta my body!"

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In response to RallyC's comment:

In response to snakeoil123's comment:

I totally agree.

Jeff Green is who DOC/Danny think he is. I love his abilities. I just think he is only now starting to get really comfortable with bringing it hard every night after being somewhat tentaive with having his chest cracked open for the heart surgery. That has got to take a long time to get over, psychologically. He looks great, and certainly has the skills to be the next big thing. A little more time and I think he'll be crashing the boards a bit more often too. Me, I'd be still in the fetal position thinking, "Don't touch me, my heart might fall outta my body!"

Me too. no knock on the guy. He has been through a lot.  A guy with his height and hops needs to bang the boards a bit more is all.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

Agreed. If he doesn't, he will absolutley be a bust for the C's. He should be getting 7-10 nightly with his height, oveerall length, and hops.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

Video: Jeff Green's dunks are #1 and #4 on NBA's top 10 plays

Jeff Green has had some monster dunks in nearly all of the Boston Celtics' past few games. Even on a night when there were 12 games around the league, Jeff Green's dunks were featured not once but twice on the NBA's top plays for February 1st. Green's dunks came in at the #1 and #4 spots.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

Nice!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=94EqxSBDHdI#t=0s

Sections
Shortcuts