Jeff Van Gundy says

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Jeff Van Gundy says

That in the history of the NBA no team has had the combination of talent and class at one position that Duncan and Robinson provided for the last 25 years in a row

Well, other than 1969-70 the Celtics had 37 years in a row of Russell, Cowens and Parish.

other than that one years those 16 titles pretty much trump SA's 4... so ummmm VVG, maybe you should make an apology to the Celtic franchise

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Re: Jeff Van Gundy says

The Lakers also had 21 years of Wilt and Kareem, albeit both aquired in shady sad trades unlike the savvy draft picks and brilliant Red trade getting us our C's.

Anyhow, I'd take 19 year in 21 and 6 titles of Wilt/Kareem over 25 years and 4 titles of Duncan/Robinson

Van Gundy needs to mention or put these guys in that category, not give them to 'greatest ever' status

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dirty52. Show dirty52's posts

In response to rameakap's comment:

The Lakers also had 21 years of Wilt and Kareem, albeit both aquired in shady sad trades unlike the savvy draft picks and brilliant Red trade getting us our C's.

Anyhow, I'd take 19 year in 21 and 6 titles of Wilt/Kareem over 25 years and 4 titles of Duncan/Robinson

Van Gundy needs to mention or put these guys in that category, not give them to 'greatest ever' status

Please explain what shady sad trades were made.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

In response to dirty52's comment:

Knew you'd comment on that one................why don't YOU, for once, tell US something instead of......"prove this" or "what does that mean..?"

If you don't think the deals were "shady" (and I'm not saying they are or they aren't), tell us what the trades were, and why they weren't "shady"

Otherwise, I'll have to believe Rame..............

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In response to Red-16Russ-11's comment:

Knew you'd comment on that one................why don't YOU, for once, tell US something instead of......"prove this" or "what does that mean..?"

If you don't think the deals were "shady" (and I'm not saying they are or they aren't), tell us what the trades were, and why they weren't "shady"

Otherwise, I'll have to believe Rame..............

The Laker's traded 2 quarters and a dime to get a dollar in both the Wilt and Kareem deals. It was unfortunate for the league, but the NBA wasn't the global monster then that it is now.

Red at least traded a #1 overall pick in thr Parish/McHale deal and Robert was considered a headcase underachiever at the time.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dirty52. Show dirty52's posts

From Wiki

Although Abdul-Jabbar always spoke well of Milwaukee and its fans, he said that being in the Midwest did not fit his cultural needs and requested a trade to either New York or Los Angeles in October 1974

In 1975, the Lakers acquired Abdul-Jabbar and reserve center Walt Wesley from the Bucks for center Elmore Smith, guard Brian Winters, and rookie "blue chippers" Dave Meyers and Junior Bridgeman

On Wilt

After that season, coach Alex Hannum wanted to be closer to his family on the West Coast; he left the Sixers to coach the Oakland Oaks in the newly founded American Basketball Association.[75] Chamberlain then asked for a trade, and Sixers general manager Jack Ramsay traded him to the Los Angeles Lakers for Darrall Imhoff, Archie Clark and Jerry Chambers.[67] The motivation for this move remains in dispute. According to sportswriter Roland Lazenby, a journalist close to the Lakers, Chamberlain was angry at Kosloff for breaking the alleged Richman-Chamberlain deal,[33] but according to Dr. Jack Ramsay, who was the Sixers general manager then, Chamberlain also threatened to jump to the ABA after Hannum left, and forced the trade himself.[67] Cherry finally adds several personal reasons: the center felt he had grown too big for Philadelphia, sought the presence of fellow celebrities (which were plenty in L.A.) and finally also desired the opportunity to date white women, which was possible for a black man in L.A. but hard to imagine elsewhere back then.[76]

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

exactly, pathetic. Ownership bending to players wishes pre-free agency and acquiring pitiful returns for dominant C's who were already HOFers.

Those trades were worse than Shaq for Odom, Butler and Brian Grant's expiring contract. Shaq was also 33 and Kareem 28.

Yuck

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

The Wilt trade was a robbery.....

The Kareem trade looked good at first, but those "blue-chippers" didn't turn into stars, just good NBA role players.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dirty52. Show dirty52's posts

But there was nothing shady about it

If teams make bad trades thats on them.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

But there was nothing shady about it

If teams make bad trades thats on them.

Well, shady is a relative term.  Both players wanted out, and the lakers knew it.  Something is better than nothing.  In Wilt's case, esp, he would have gone to the ABA, and Philly gets nothing for him.................

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

yeah, I really have no problem with either of those Laker trades....the Gasol one I didn't like at the time.....

Red was one shrewd dude....traded his way to the rights to Russell and that led to eleven championships....then he grabbed Cowens and later traded the #1 for the rights to Joe Barry Carroll who he absolutely did not want at all....so he gets the #3 pick which turns into Kevin McHale and also gets an a guy in Robert Parish who became a Hall of Fame player once he put on a Celtic uniform...

Parish somewhat remends me of Mark Gasol who the Lakers traded....both came into their own after those trades...

of course, Red drafting Larry Bird was just a tremendous stroke of genius...and Gerald Henderson got us the #2 which turned into Len Bias...great move...but we all know how that turned out.....

13. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts