Jermaine O'Neal offically pathetic

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Jermaine O'Neal offically pathetic

I know I said I wanted to wait 20+ games into the season before making a judgement but dammmmmmm!!!! I dont think he could play worse if he was trying to.  Now, in fairness I think he's gotten a few bad calls. That said, he honestly looks like this week was the first time he's ever stepped onto a basketball court. How can this be, Im trying to fogure it out?

Emotionally, hes expressionless. I see him trying to play some defense, which he has to a degree but what is he missing?  Fouls out against the Cavs after producing just about nothing...again.

Hope Perkins heals quicker or Erden starts getting his minutes until JO figures out his problems

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

Re: Jermaine O'Neal offically pathetic

I think we should give JO at least until the Christmas Day game, at Orlando, before we officially declare him pathetic. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Waynestarr. Show Waynestarr's posts

I think it's WAAAAAAY too early to hit the panic button. It was only the second game of the season for cryin' out loud.

Can we give J O'Neal some time to learn the system??

It's obvious some people need to take a que from EPMD, and "Just Chill"...

Cool

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

I wouldn't play JON with BBD. I would play JON with KG, Erden or Shaq. He needs some other size alongside of him to be effective.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mem17. Show mem17's posts

Give him some time to adjust to a new time before you start trash talking the guy. Show a little respect as he's a 5 or 6 time allstar. The guy's proven he can play well. He's past his prime due to injury, but he can still be a big asset to the C's given time to adjust.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Airmanflight23. Show Airmanflight23's posts

It should also be noted that Jermaine has had some HORRIBLE calls go against him.  I think he will be fine.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

We have to give JON time to adjust to the system.  And he has been getting some horrible calls against him.  I think he'll be ok.  But he has been outright terrible to watch.  The guy shows no expression.

I think there is plan to the season.  Guys start the season NOT in top shape (but decent enough shape) and play up to top shape by late November through February or early March.  Then guys start feeling the griind of the season and need more rest and off time towards the end of the season.

I think by Christmas everyone should be in peak form and we should have a better idea how all our pieces fit and perform.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from basketbert. Show basketbert's posts

JO is one of my biggest concerns on the team. Hopefully he'll pick it up.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from notrade. Show notrade's posts

I told you it was a dumb signing and signing Shaq was the better fit for this team.
    He won't ever prove to be worth 6 million a year.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

To all those saying its too early to judge JO, youre right. We cant really tell how hes gonna turn out 20-30 games down the road. All we can do is comment on the preseason and first 2 reg games this season. 

Hes trying to play some defense  and has blocks some shots. He also looks like its hard for him to move or jump.  His jab step on the baseline was called a travel (i dont thin it was on replay) but nonetheless, he still looked akward.

Fouled out and didnt do much statiscally. I really dont think Doc/Danny would be happy with his overall production (defense included) based upon what they thought he would be able to do.  His offense is non existent, not even rebounds.

So to be fair, we should wait and hope to see improvement. Just hoping Doc isnt stbborn with sticking with JO, like he did Sheed, if the guy doesnt deliver. Sheed was terrible for us, just focused in during the playoffs...

Im thinking Sheed may still be a Celtic later in the season ala PJ Brown.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ayisyen. Show Ayisyen's posts

Considering he has sucked the past 2 years or so, I agree with you.  I hope he sees much less of the court in the upcoming games.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from shines01. Show shines01's posts

you guys will eat these words

Jermaine O'Neal is a what? 4-5 time all star?  Seven?  Anyway, the guy has lots of skills.  He has never played in a system like this before.  (Last night it looked as if none of them had)  JON needs to relax, play D and rebound; everything else will follow.  Plus, he isn't in game shape.  Man, are you guys fans or just critics?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Re: you guys will eat these words

In Response to you guys will eat these words:
    [QUOTE]Jermaine O'Neal is a what? 4-5 time all star?  Seven?  Anyway, the guy has lots of skills.  He has never played in a system like this before.  (Last night it looked as if none of them had)  JON needs to relax, play D and rebound; everything else will follow.  Plus, he isn't in game shape.  Man, are you guys fans or just critics?
    Posted by shines01[/QUOTE]

Us "GUYS" are both fans and critics, kinda goes with the territory.

So if he needs to relax and is not in game shape.. maybe he should be on the treadmill and not in the game.

And whats wrong with some criticism? Do you think he deserves applause for what hes done so far?

Im not critical of players that are ready to play (in shape), doing their best and playing smart.  When Ray shot horribly in the finals, I wasnt on him for it. he got good looks and took the shots.. exactly what he was supposed to. They didnt go in.. not like he intended that or hadnt been practicing.

JO, on the other hand seems lost.. tired and overweight, unable or unwilling to move or jump.  Maybe hes doing the best he can and thats all we're gonna get. I wont criticise him for that but I will about him not performing and wonder why hes in the lineup.

last year I criticized Sheed plenty..not just cause he was terrible in the regular season but mainly cause he wasnt putting out 100%.

This is a Celtic forum where people post the good and bad. We all want to see the C's do good but it shouldnt mean we take the David Stern approach and forbid any negative comments or be fined $25,000

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from FLACFAN. Show FLACFAN's posts

Comparing JO to Perk is rediculous.  Despite his six fouls (3-4 bad calls) he took his medicine like a pro.  I prefer that to Perk's crybaby antics.  JO also didn't have passes bounce off his stone fingers and he doesn't have to wind up with a dribble to score.  He is 10 times more valuable than Perk.  Wait till the season is over and you will agree.

In Response to Re: Jermaine O'Neal offically pathetic:
    [QUOTE]I figured he sympathized with Perk's plight; I didn't think he'd take it so far as to play like him.
    Posted by jallen3531[/QUOTE]

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from shines01. Show shines01's posts

Re: you guys will eat these words

OK, the 'guys' was meant generally, not to exclude women at all.  Sorry if it came off that way, it wasn't what i meant.

Same here with Rasheed.  I hated his game and his style and I said so from the start of the last season.  I don't think we are looking at the same thing.  JON just doesn't get it yet.  Maybe a treadmill would be good for him but I think it's more like working out rust and subordinating his game to our offense.  Furthermore, if he doesn't do that then Semih should be backing up Shaq.  I think he will be fine and eventually love his role.  Maybe he hasn't been well coached for a while, also he has had injuries.  I think the criticism after 2 games is unwarranted.  Celtics fans, myself included are hard to please and expect great things from this team.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

JON is a five million dollar insurance policy to hedge against any setbacks in Perk's recovery.  If you don't think he can contribute 20+ minutes of decent basketball after geting used to the system and playing himself in shape then you haven't watched him play for the past decade.  Is he the same guy as 5 years ago?  No.  Will he add to the overall depth of this frontcourt.  Absolutely.  Some of you guys like to throw the towel in way too soon.    

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

Jermaine O'Neal is not in the same shape he used to be.  

It's true that he had some bad calls last night, but I'm a lot more concerned by the fact that his feet don't move like they used to.  Honestly, right now Shaq has faster feet. 

On the fence here, but I see that he brings a potentially huge upside to this team.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Yesterday before the game I defended JO.  After the game yesterday I may have to change my view. His feet look nailed to the floor.  His shot like in the Miami series last season is flat and hopeless.  Doc and Danny hopefully know better. He looks like damaged goods right now.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from KGLove. Show KGLove's posts

he really fuccced up last night not completely his fault but he was very hard to watch out there...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from The-dude. Show The-dude's posts

Only 2 games and already complaints. Guess what folks, it takes a while for new players to mesh.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

[QUOTE]Only 2 games and already complaints. Guess what folks, it takes a while for new players to mesh. 2+2=5
    Posted by The-dude[/QUOTE]

Players need some time to mesh because they dont know all the sets and also need to know how to work & communicate with their new teammates.

JO seems to have another problem.. and thats his physical condition and abilities .. thats an entirely different problem

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonsucks69. Show bostonsucks69's posts

Jermaine O'Neal is made of glass. Just check his track record the last 3 seasons. And to think you paid this bum the MLE! LOL!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from walton. Show walton's posts

I love these message boards. One fellow on this thread said "give him some time. I hope he isn't in decline."............."Isn't in decline?" Let me explain it to you. Either an athlete is a] getting better {Derek Rose} b] staying the same {Carmelo Anthony} or c] in decline. There is no other category. You can win an MVP and be in decline meaning you aren't as good as you were at your peak. Peirce is in decline. Allen is in decline. Garnett is in decline. Shaq is in decline {big time.} Jermaine O'Neal? Indianapolis gave Jermaine a 22.9 mil per yr {stupid} contract 5 or 6 yrs ago {after Reggie Miller had taken them to the Finals} because they thought Jermaine was going to be one of the top 5 players in the game going forward. It never happened because of injuries and because he wasn't as good as he seemed to be at the time. Jermaine {at his best} is perhaps a 3 mil per yr player now. That is some decline. Heck. Kobe is in decline. He might still be the best player in the league but he's not as good as he was when he was 27. Take Shaq. Could Shaq help the Celtics this year? Sure he could. Definate possiblity but he is a shell of the player he was in his prime. It is apples and oranges. Is Cameron Diaz still pretty? Sure she's pretty but she is 38. Is she as pretty as she was at 28. No she isn't. End of story.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Good thing the Playoffs don't start until April or May! JON will be ready too play by then...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

[QUOTE]               I love these message boards. One fellow on this thread said "give him some time. I hope he isn't in decline."............."Isn't in decline?" Let me explain it to you. Either an athlete is a] getting better {Derek Rose} b] staying the same {Carmelo Anthony} or c] in decline. There is no other category. You can win an MVP and be in decline meaning you aren't as good as you were at your peak. Peirce is in decline. Allen is in decline. Garnett is in decline. Shaq is in decline {big time.} Jermaine O'Neal? Indianapolis gave Jermaine a 22.9 mil per yr {stupid} contract 5 or 6 yrs ago {after Reggie Miller had taken them to the Finals} because they thought Jermaine was going to be one of the top 5 players in the game going forward. It never happened because of injuries and because he wasn't as good as he seemed to be at the time. Jermaine {at his best} is perhaps a 3 mil per yr player now. That is some decline. Heck. Kobe is in decline. He might still be the best player in the league but he's not as good as he was when he was 27. Take Shaq. Could Shaq help the Celtics this year? Sure he could. Definate possiblity but he is a shell of the player he was in his prime. It is apples and oranges. Is Cameron Diaz still pretty? Sure she's pretty but she is 38. Is she as pretty as she was at 28. No she isn't. End of story.
    Posted by walton[/QUOTE]

Walton, I agree with most of your points about JON.  He may be a 3-5 mil player these days and I think a) that's all the Celtics were expecting, b) fans need to realize that he is a role player and insurance policy and c) people need to give the guy until Dec-Jan to make any kind of assessment about his capabilities and his fit on this team.  If he needs to play 30 minutes a game then both the Celtics and JON are fooling themselves. 

And I actually think Cameron Diaz is sexier today than at any other point in her life.  She has aged very well. 

Sections
Shortcuts