Jermaine O'Neal offically pathetic

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Re: Jermaine O'Neal offically pathetic

In Response to Re: Jermaine O'Neal offically pathetic:
    [QUOTE]               I love these message boards. One fellow on this thread said "give him some time. I hope he isn't in decline."............."Isn't in decline?" Let me explain it to you. Either an athlete is a] getting better {Derek Rose} b] staying the same {Carmelo Anthony} or c] in decline. There is no other category. You can win an MVP and be in decline meaning you aren't as good as you were at your peak. Peirce is in decline. Allen is in decline. Garnett is in decline. Shaq is in decline {big time.} Jermaine O'Neal? Indianapolis gave Jermaine a 22.9 mil per yr {stupid} contract 5 or 6 yrs ago {after Reggie Miller had taken them to the Finals} because they thought Jermaine was going to be one of the top 5 players in the game going forward. It never happened because of injuries and because he wasn't as good as he seemed to be at the time. Jermaine {at his best} is perhaps a 3 mil per yr player now. That is some decline. Heck. Kobe is in decline. He might still be the best player in the league but he's not as good as he was when he was 27. Take Shaq. Could Shaq help the Celtics this year? Sure he could. Definate possiblity but he is a shell of the player he was in his prime. It is apples and oranges. Is Cameron Diaz still pretty? Sure she's pretty but she is 38. Is she as pretty as she was at 28. No she isn't. End of story.
    Posted by walton[/QUOTE]

Walton, good post.

Of course JO is in decline, has been for some time. The question is how much of a decline has he taken? From the short look we've seen this pre & regular season, it appears his decline is massive. Enough so that he may not be of much help.

But in retrospect, I have to give in to those that say give it more time. Maybe his conditioning & lift will improve. Maybe his understanding the system will make him more valuable. Maybe its just a matter of time.

We said the same thing last year about Sheed & he never got it going and dogged the entire regular season. At least he turned it on in the playoffs... Will JO be like this, better or worse? We'll wait and see but so far hes terrible im

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bramrok. Show bramrok's posts

Re: you guys will eat these words

In Response to you guys will eat these words:
    [QUOTE]Jermaine O'Neal is a what? 4-5 time all star?  Seven?  Anyway, the guy has lots of skills.  He has never played in a system like this before.  (Last night it looked as if none of them had)  JON needs to relax, play D and rebound; everything else will follow.  Plus, he isn't in game shape.  Man, are you guys fans or just critics?
    Posted by shines01[/QUOTE]
    jermaine oneal's career is over; no excuses for this guy- he is terrible and can not play basketball anymore

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from celticsanalyst. Show celticsanalyst's posts

JON is playing like he is scared of getting injured again.  He is playing very tentatively and his game is very passive.  He is not exerting himself or going all out on the floor for fears of aggravating a previous injury or going down again.  He has a lot of skills, he just needs to regain his confidence and put his past injuries behind him. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

Re: you guys will eat these words

In Response to Re: you guys will eat these words:
    [QUOTE]In Response to you guys will eat these words : jermaine oneal's career is over; no excuses for this guy- he is terrible and can not play basketball anymore
    Posted by bramrok[/QUOTE]

I think I heard that about Ray the first half of last season.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BoylestonBB. Show BoylestonBB's posts

He has gone from being a key player on every team he has played for to being just another player.  I am not impressed at all at the moment but suspect he will be contributing regularly by Christmas.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUMcHale. Show RUMcHale's posts

Cameron Diaz? Cry

Kate Beckinsale! Kiss

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from LightSaber. Show LightSaber's posts

[QUOTE]Cameron Diaz? Kate Beckinsale!
    Posted by RUMcHale[/QUOTE]

Khloe Kardashian or Kim Kardashian?

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUMcHale. Show RUMcHale's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jermaine O'Neal offically pathetic : Khloe Kardashian or Kim Kardashian?
    Posted by LightSaber[/QUOTE]

Kim!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

HAHAHA!!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from celticsfanmx. Show celticsfanmx's posts

You people should give Jermaine more time to adapt to the system. Today he played a very decent game along with Erden. I expect him to play more like that with the Celtics and hopefully be a solid backup center behind Shaq.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mem17. Show mem17's posts

Jermaine played well against the Pistons tonight. Where are all the J. O'neal bashers tonight?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

[QUOTE]Jermaine played well against the Pistons tonight. Where are all the J. O'neal bashers tonight?
    Posted by mem17[/QUOTE]

"Officially" hiding?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from cpjohn1. Show cpjohn1's posts

I don't understand the bashing of O'Neal.  He was great in preseason before he got hurt.  People should have known he was playing hurt, which is why he sucked the first few games.  He was hurt in the playoffs last year too when he was playing terrible, but if you looked at his regular season last year before he got hurt, he was pretty good.  The key is keeping the guy healthy.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

[QUOTE]I don't understand the bashing of O'Neal.  He was great in preseason before he got hurt.  People should have known he was playing hurt, which is why he sucked the first few games.  He was hurt in the playoffs last year too when he was playing terrible, but if you looked at his regular season last year before he got hurt, he was pretty good.  The key is keeping the guy healthy.
    Posted by cpjohn1[/QUOTE]

Maybe that's why until now those "bashers" are still nowhere to be found.

HAHAHA!!! 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Amazing...

JO has a somewhat decent game and all of a sudden his supporters come out of the woodwork. In 21 mins he scores 12 pts and gets 2 rebs.. wow

Didnt Doc say his main purpose was defense and rebs?

Also, all you people saying give him until Christmas before making a judgement now are jumping all over the alleged "bashers" as if to say I TOLD U SO, off of just one game. So funny.

We've watched JO all through preseason and regular season... he hasnt looked good at all. Not even close. Last night he did seem more alive... Im happy for that, hopefully it continues.  Just stop with the hypocracy..

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

[QUOTE]Amazing... JO has a somewhat decent game and all of a sudden his supporters come out of the woodwork. In 21 mins he scores 12 pts and gets 2 rebs.. wow Didnt Doc say his main purpose was defense and rebs? Also, all you people saying give him until Christmas before making a judgement now are jumping all over the alleged "bashers" as if to say I TOLD U SO, off of just one game. So funny. We've watched JO all through preseason and regular season... he hasnt looked good at all. Not even close. Last night he did seem more alive... Im happy for that, hopefully it continues.  Just stop with the hypocracy..
    Posted by Karllost[/QUOTE]

Does this mean that you still think JO is still "officially pathetic"?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

I still say wait until December to see whether JO is a consistent contributor.  But even the doubters have to admit that last night's game is a positive sign.  He looked decent on defense, blocked a shot or two, chased down someone on a fast break and prevented an easy basket, and looked like he knew where his shots would be in the flow of the offense.  One game does not make the player, but to write this guy off based on preseason was pretty silly too.   

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

[QUOTE]I still say wait until December to see whether JO is a consistent contributor.  But even the doubters have to admit that last night's game is a positive sign.  He looked decent on defense, blocked a shot or two, chased down someone on a fast break and prevented an easy basket, and looked like he knew where his shots would be in the flow of the offense.  One game does not make the player, but to write this guy off based on preseason was pretty silly too.   
    Posted by CablesWyndBairn[/QUOTE]

Agree!

I think playing 4 games and not being able to score a single point can be considered "officially pathetic".

Even a 36-year old Ben Wallace is getting 4.5 points per game. Starting even!Laughing

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mem17. Show mem17's posts

[QUOTE]Amazing... JO has a somewhat decent game and all of a sudden his supporters come out of the woodwork. In 21 mins he scores 12 pts and gets 2 rebs.. wow Didnt Doc say his main purpose was defense and rebs? Also, all you people saying give him until Christmas before making a judgement now are jumping all over the alleged "bashers" as if to say I TOLD U SO, off of just one game. So funny. We've watched JO all through preseason and regular season... he hasnt looked good at all. Not even close. Last night he did seem more alive... Im happy for that, hopefully it continues.  Just stop with the hypocracy..
        You failed to say that he also blocked 2 shots. O'neal is a multi season allstar and you continue to trash talk the man. Some people are just overly critical and you appear to be one of them.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jermaine O'Neal offically pathetic :     You failed to say that he also blocked 2 shots. O'neal is a multi season allstar and you continue to trash talk the man. Some people are just overly critical and you appear to be one of them.
    Posted by mem17[/QUOTE]

I consider my position on JO as observational... I posted what I saw through the pre & regular season. I also posted I was too quick to call him "officially pathetic", that we should wait until 20-30 games were played... guess some of you missed that post.

However, while we're waiting for the clock to tick, is there an issue with posting our opinions of the games we're watching JO or anybody else play? I mean, Im thrilled with KG, Rondo, Pierce & Shaq to date. Is that ok to say of should I wait until Christmas before making such a proclamation?

Believe me, I want JO to play like an all star. Im a life long Celtics fan since the mid 60's.  As I got on Sheed last year, Im starting to feel the same about JO. Perhaps it was premature but I believe I had already taken a step back from that stance...

Now all the JO cheerleaders come out to show how wrong it was to count him out, like he had a monster game or something. He looked mich better last night.. Sheed also looked good in some games but overall was a disaster for the regular season. 

If JO can get it together it will be great. Im hoping he can but when he has consistent poor games, I seem to want to vent my frustration... sorry if it offends all the ones that knew better

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mem17. Show mem17's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jermaine O'Neal offically pathetic : I consider my position on JO as observational... I posted what I saw through the pre & regular season. I also posted I was too quick to call him "officially pathetic", that we should wait until 20-30 games were played... guess some of you missed that post. However, while we're waiting for the clock to tick, is there an issue with posting our opinions of the games we're watching JO or anybody else play? I mean, Im thrilled with KG, Rondo, Pierce & Shaq to date. Is that ok to say of should I wait until Christmas before making such a proclamation? Believe me, I want JO to play like an all star. Im a life long Celtics fan since the mid 60's.  As I got on Sheed last year, Im starting to feel the same about JO. Perhaps it was premature but I believe I had already taken a step back from that stance... Now all the JO cheerleaders come out to show how wrong it was to count him out, like he had a monster game or something. He looked mich better last night.. Sheed also looked good in some games but overall was a disaster for the regular season.  If JO can get it together it will be great. Im hoping he can but when he has consistent poor games, I seem to want to vent my frustration... sorry if it offends all the ones that knew better
        I made a post before the Detroit game. See page 1. I for one did not 'come out of the woodwork" as someone else stated to support J.O after last nights game. I've been supporting him all along and there are several posts to back up my statement on this thread and others.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jermaine O'Neal offically pathetic :     I made a post before the Detroit game. See page 1. I for one did not 'come out of the woodwork" as someone else stated to support J.O after last nights game. I've been supporting him all along and there are several posts to back up my statement on this thread and others.
    Posted by mem17[/QUOTE]

Well, if youve been a supporter of JO all along, thats fine. He hasnt been very good up until last night, which wasnt a great game for him either.  So, im not sure what it is youve been supporting about him other than giving him more time before judging.. Ive agreed with that but along the way, theres nothing wrong about commenting about his play, game to game.  We all do about most of the players.