J.Green - Worthy or McKey?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

Re: J.Green - Worthy or McKey?

I think somewhere in between............Worthy was a total stud, and was from Day 1.  Not sure JG could ever be that good!!

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dirty52. Show dirty52's posts

Here is the reason Worthy's numbers were down

From Wiki

Although of lesser renown than teammates Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and Magic Johnson, Worthy is regarded as a key contributor to the three NBA championships (1985, 1987, 1988) and the overall success of the Lakers' 1980s basketball dynasty. After the Lakers lost the 1991 Finals to the Chicago Bulls, followed by the sudden retirement of Magic in November 1991, Worthy played for three more seasons. By this time, injuries and mileage caught up with Worthy: A high ankle injury during the 1991 playoffs and season-ending knee surgery in 1992 robbed Worthy of much of his quickness and leaping ability. After struggling with knee pain in the preseason of the 1994–95 season, Worthy announced his retirement in November 1994, after 12 seasons in the NBA.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

In response to TommyRules' comment:

You really must be bored to start a thread like this.
    Green played nothing like Worthy and his body was nothing like Worthy's.
    Their games are almost complete opposite.

Worthy was a dominant low post scoring forward who was unstoppable on the break.
    He was tough player but extremely quick for his size.

I nominate this thread as worst thread of the month.

Apparently you haven't read Elias'

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

In response to TommyRules' comment:

No I didn't read it.
    I don't have a lot of interest in reading a long post in 1 long paragraph.

It was quite the rant

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

I hope we don't find out that Fake Fury is really Bloggy with a different user name!!

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

In response to Fiercest34's comment:

This is the year Jeff Green will give us an idea if he's a bust, just a role player, or a budding star.

I think the best case scenario is JG ends up like James Worthy, a quick 6-9 forward who can shoot from almost anywhere, post-up smaller defenders, and a great finisher on the fastbreak. 

My worst case scenario is JG ends up like Derrick McKey. McKey was not a bad player, he just didn't reach his full potential. In the end McKey was a very good role player.

The key to JG's success is to be able to play the SF position full-time. If JG can't turn himself into a SF then he'll surely end up just like Derrick McKey.

I don't think that Jeff Green will ever be James Worthy.  James had a special dimension to him.  He was a very determined and quality scorer.  He was somebody who could command a double team.  However, his defense was something that needed to be masked.

Jeff Green just does not have that kind of scoring instincts.  However, if he develops just a little more aggressiveness, Rondo will do a great job of making him an effective scorer.  Where JG has excellent possibilities is at the defensive end.  He has more potential there if he can find it.

Doc managed to get Brandon Bass to find his place.  He managed to get Stiemsma to find his place.  He has a lot more material in Jeff Green.  The chemicals are there.  If the reaction works, it will create something special.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoctorCO. Show DoctorCO's posts

dfury,bloggdy

when green played for boston..they had kristic at center ...he was not a good d player...with green back..having kg who can play d..bass who can rebound ok..wilcox who can hit the boards..and sullinger will be a good d player...melo will be a upgrade on steisma and colllins is a physical player known to give howard fits.,..
    thats why green will be good on d..cause there more players who play d...

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

In response to dfurypos' comment:

In response to prakash's comment:

In response to Fiercest34's comment:

This is the year Jeff Green will give us an idea if he's a bust, just a role player, or a budding star.

I think the best case scenario is JG ends up like James Worthy, a quick 6-9 forward who can shoot from almost anywhere, post-up smaller defenders, and a great finisher on the fastbreak. 

My worst case scenario is JG ends up like Derrick McKey. McKey was not a bad player, he just didn't reach his full potential. In the end McKey was a very good role player.

The key to JG's success is to be able to play the SF position full-time. If JG can't turn himself into a SF then he'll surely end up just like Derrick McKey.

I don't think that Jeff Green will ever be James Worthy.  James had a special dimension to him.  He was a very determined and quality scorer.  He was somebody who could command a double team.  However, his defense was something that needed to be masked.

Jeff Green just does not have that kind of scoring instincts.  However, if he develops just a little more aggressiveness, Rondo will do a great job of making him an effective scorer.  Where JG has excellent possibilities is at the defensive end.  He has more potential there if he can find it.

Doc managed to get Brandon Bass to find his place.  He managed to get Stiemsma to find his place.  He has a lot more material in Jeff Green.  The chemicals are there.  If the reaction works, it will create something special.

Ahhh you better go check the numbers because when your boy Green was on the court the Celtics defense got a lot worse!  You want to challenge me?
    (-)^^))

Oh, you are looking for a challenge?  Then lets us polish up our scabbards and meet in front of Faneuil Hall at high noon tomorrow.  Of course, I am not sure if you know how to get there.

I don't challenge low life Lakers fans.  I have sympathy for them.  They are entitled to all the little pathetic pleasures that they can get.  They look at numbers and don't understand the significance of connective tissue, skeletal integrity and decision making comfort on sports performance.

I, on the other hand, prefer to look at the game and not just numbers.  That can be hard for some and I will grant you that.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Fierce agree largely and disagree specifically on Worthy. 

Worthy is hall of fame, top 50 all time, and an NBA finals MVP. Jeff Green can never be James Worthy, nor will he ever be a top 50 or top 100 all time NBA player. That comparison is an insult to Worthy and raises the bar way too high for a guy coming out of heart surgery. 

I would say for best case scenario, Jeff Green could end up being Detlef Schrempf. Before anyone laughs or considers that an insult, here's the deal on him: " Originally selected eighth overall by the  Dallas Mavericks  in the  1985 NBA Draft , Schrempf became a regular in NBA rotations after being traded to the  Indiana Pacers  in exchange for veteran center  Herb Williams . With the Pacers, he won consecutive  NBA Sixth Man Awards  in 1991 and 1992. He finished second in the NBA with a .478 three-point percentage in 1987, and eventually worked his way into the starting lineup. In the 1992-93 season, he was selected to the first of his three  National Basketball Association All-Star Games  with the others being in 1995 and 1997. He was the only player in the NBA in 1992-93 to finish in the top 25 in scoring (19.1 ppg), rebounding (9.5 rpg) and assists (6.0 apg). [1]"

Detlef also made the NBA finals with the Sonice and so on. He had a fine career and if Green were to even approach that, it would be a best case scenario. 

Where I do agree 100 percent Fierce is that Green's progression and performance is probably THE biggest key to the season. He's the one piece that could really improve our chances, or not. 

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

Ted Stiepen, the worst owner in NBA history, made a horrible trade in 1979, in which he sent a future #1 pick to the lakers.  In 1982, the Cavs, naturally, finished with the worst record in the league (tie).  The lakers then had to do a coin flip with the SECOND worst owner in  NBA history, Sterling........and with the winning of that coin flip, Worthy became a laker.

In NO way will Jeff Green ever become James Worthy.  While his skill set may be similar, Worthy could do everything better than Green,with the possible exception of outisde shooting.

There is a lot of pressure on Green this year....to live up to his contract, but we need to be reasonable here.  He won't even start, and Worthy was a stud from Day 1.

I am curious to see Green's defense after a full training camp with Doc.........and if nothing else, he is a movable commodity at the deadline......Worthy is a once in a lifetime player that the lakers lucked into........I think just having Jeff healthy this year is enough for me.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts