Jo Jo White should be in the Hall Of Fame.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SeemsToMe. Show SeemsToMe's posts

Jo Jo White should be in the Hall Of Fame.

Another current thread mentions Whites not being in the HOF. A little research shows that Jo Jo appears to have the credentials to rank him with other inductees. However, there is one  statistic alone ,that I think would be good enough to sent him to Springfield. Consider this- Ninety-six players that played during the years from 1949-50 through 1988-89 have been inducted into the HOF. Of those 96 players only 40 players were selected to the allstar team 7 or more times. Only 3 of those 40 players are not in the HOF.  LARRY FOUST, JACK SIKMA, AND JO JO WHITE.  I believe that there is 1 major reason for Jo Jo's exclusion from the Hall-  A reason that needs to be addressed by the HOF selection committee. But thats for another thread discussion. Down through the years many Celtic fans of that generation have been disapointed by this oversight. I,m one of them. Any others out there?

Seems

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Re: Jo Jo White should be in the Hall Of Fame.

Seems, I whole heartedly agree with you....JoJo's wife Debby worked for me for a few years back in the late '80's.....I became good friends with them and I can tell you that he is one of the nicest, classiest, and most soft spoken athletes that I have ever met...!  He organized several charity events during the short time he lived in my old hometown (Rochester, NY)...on one particular weekend my boss and I (along with our wives) went to a black tie fundraiser....it was actually a two day/night affair...a dinner on Friday evening....followed by an "all star game" Saturday night, with a party that followed....we got to spend some quality time with Cedric Maxwell (one of the nicest & funniest guys I've ever met)....Sam Jones, Tommy Heinsohn, Artis Gilmore, and Dan Roundfield just to name a few....that weekend was a memorable time for me....Rick Pitino had just been hired and I was so psyched....Sam told me that it wasn't going to work...I thought he was just being cynical....but he was absolutely right....JoJo also told me that Bill Russell said that, if he had known JoJo was coming into the fold,  he might have reconsidered retiring....this guy was a winner...he was a leader of the teams that won two championships in the mid 70's (could've been one or two more as well) I really believe he warrents a place in the hall based upon his accomplishments....!.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SeemsToMe. Show SeemsToMe's posts

In response to Duke4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Seems, I whole heartedly agree with you....JoJo's wife Debby worked for me for a few years back in the late '80's.....I became good friends with them and I can tell you that he is one of the nicest, classiest, and most soft spoken athletes that I have ever met...!  He organized several charity events during the short time he lived in my old hometown (Rochester, NY)...on one particular weekend my boss and I (along with our wives) went to a black tie fundraiser....it was actually a two day/night affair...a dinner on Friday evening....followed by an "all star game" Saturday night, with a party that followed....we got to spend some quality time with Cedric Maxwell (one of the nicest & funniest guys I've ever met)....Sam Jones, Tommy Heinsohn, Artis Gilmore, and Dan Roundfield just to name a few....that weekend was a memorable time for me....Rick Pitino had just been hired and I was so psyched....Sam told me that it wasn't going to work...I thought he was just being cynical....but he was absolutely right....JoJo also told me that Bill Russell said that, if he had known JoJo was coming into the fold,  he might have reconsidered retiring....this guy was a winner...he was a leader of the teams that won two championships in the mid 70's (could've been one or two more as well) I really believe he warrents a place in the hall based upon his accomplishments....!.  

[/QUOTE]

Boy,you sure do know how to travel with the Rich and the Famous. Lucky you. Good to know that your a Jo Jo fan. Never got to hang with any of the elite basketballers. Did get to spend the summer of 1955 with 3 nba draft picks as lifeguards at the officers club pool at Fort Jackson S.C  The 4 of us spent most of the day shooting around. Man was that the good life. 

Seems

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

My first pro game I heard this:

"High above courtside, the Celtics open with Havlicek and Nelson at the forwards, Cowens at Center, White and Chaney at the guards."

He was consistent, he was clutch, he hardly ever came out of the game.  The C's were one of the first teams that went with no PG.  "The Duck" and Jo Jo were a great pair.  He should be in the HOF.......but if Sam Jones had to wait a long time, it's only fair that Jo Jo has to wait, as well.  I hope it's soon, though!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SeemsToMe. Show SeemsToMe's posts

In response to hedleylamarr's comment:
    [QUOTE]

"High above courtside, the Celtics open with Havlicek and Nelson at the forwards, Cowens at Center, White and Chaney at the guards."

He was consistent, he was clutch, he hardly ever came out of the game.  The C's were one of the first teams that went with no PG.  "The Duck" and Jo Jo were a great pair.  He should be in the HOF.......but if Sam Jones had to wait a long time, it's only fair that Jo Jo has to wait, as well.  I hope it's soon, though!!

[/QUOTE]

Hedley

Sam-Eligible in 1974, inducted in 1984- 10 years.

Jo Jo-Eligible in 1986,26 years and counting.

Seems

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

In response to SeemsToMe's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Hedley

Seems

[/QUOTE]

That is long enough - he should be in!!  Perhaps it's a longevity thing.  I believe Jo Jo only played about 10 full years...?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SeemsToMe. Show SeemsToMe's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to SeemsToMe's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Hedley

Seems

[/QUOTE]

That is long enough - he should be in!!  Perhaps it's a longevity thing.  I believe Jo Jo only played about 10 full years...?

[/QUOTE]

12 years- same as S. Jones. Chet Walker- Eligible in 1980. Voted in this year. 32 year wait.The selection system has a big time flaw that discriminates against players that played a good part of their careers after the 1960's. Because of this I'm not so sure that Jo Jo will ever get the call.

Seems

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

Well, I loved Jo Jo, but let's face it - he was no Sam Jones!!

Still should be in HOF, though!!