Josh Smith Talks are on again.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

Re: Josh Smith Talks are on again.

In response to MitchUnderpants' comment:

In response to gman101019's comment:

I guess you missed the Hawks-Knicks highlights on Sportscenter. Melo torched him, exposing his D. Smith's stock immediately took a hit and he wound up staying in ATL.

Jeff Green is better than Josh Smith. But it doesn't matter. Pierce won't let this happen

No he isnt.

Oh, yeah, I forgot.

"Better" is not relevant.  Different positions.  Josh's natural position is PF and Green's is SF.  I think they coexist very well.  In fact Josh needs to be forced more inside and play LESS of a SF game which has been his weakness.   I love that duo. with Sully in rotation.  

The BIG problem as I see it and has been mentioned is getting a coach who can get the respect and control of the team with a petulent Rondo and a difficult Josh potentially made worse by their collusion.  That could be a nightmare for any coach, let alone the trash left for us to pick from.  Maybe Danny needs to step in.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Archer1. Show Archer1's posts

In response to kdp59's comment:

well let me think about this ;

1) rondo get healthy at the point

2) Bradley is a slasher at the 2

3) Green is  a fast break guy who can hit the 3

4) Smith can run and gun and hit the 3 as well as Block shots/rebound

5)????

man o man!!

break out that old red, whiet and blue ball guys and welcome to the fast and furios 70's!!!

Wouldn't Garnett be at the 5?

Rondo/Bradley/Green/Smith/Garnett would be a beast defensively.

Rondo as a facilitator (obviously) to help get Bradley and Smith easy baskets when they cut to the hoop. Garnett leads the defense and operates as a stretch 5, opening up the offense for slashing, drive-and-dish. Smith-Garnett allows for a nice pick-and roll/pick-and-pop games respectively. Green picks up easy points in the fast break and can be a spot up 3-pt threat.

Lee (D & 3 type SG), Terry (BU PG/SG), Sullinger (Energy & Rebounding), and Bass (Stretch 4 with good FT%) could function as solid backups on the team. China 3 (love calling them that) could all stick. Williams (PG/SG/SF with handles and shot), Crawford (instant offense and shot), and Randolph (size, 5 fouls, rebounding) can add something to the team.

Assuming Garnett stays healthy and Rondo is healthy Day 1, that team could win 48-50 games.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

Ok... so we'd be able to match up well against the current Knicks and Heat.

Answer this for me, will ya. What happens when we face Indy? You'd have:

KG v. Hibbert

West v. Smith

Granger v. Green

George v. Bradley

Hill v. Rondo

With KG's limited minutes, how would we possibly match up against Indy? West can overpower both Green and Smith. Hibbert would have a monster series. They could play P. Geoge at the 2 and he would stomp all over Bradley or Jet. Hill/Stephenson? They are streaky scorers so its not like Bradley & Rondo's defense is much of an advantage.

I guess we'd be banking on landing a rookie like Adams, hope he can learn up quick, and use his big body against Hibbs.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

Rome wasn't built in a day.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

This just can't be true.

That line-up is GOOD. If we make this happen, I don't understand why Doc would leave. Doc leaving to the Clipps makes sense if the Celtics bomb next year. Otherwise, why leave? 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

In response to BirdLewsBias' comment:

The Celtics will need a real strong coach to deal with Rondo and Smith but I'd rather have the talent and worry about how to manage it than not have it.

Come on BLB! No you wouldn't!........Two knuckleheads like that on the same team free lancing all night???? They aint in high school together no more, man.....Any coach would walk away from that situation, UNLESS DA is gona be the coach. If that takes place, then I think he could possibly make it work with those two, but it would take most of his energy to keep them in check and in sync.....it would make for a very entertaining/eventful season regardless.......

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

Can we S&T Lee/Crawford + Bass for M. Ellis? 2nd choice, JJ Reddick?

If I were Danny, I'd love to see:

Rondo ; Williams

Ellis ; Bradley ; Terry, Lee

Green ; (31 pick)

Smith ; Sullinger ; Randolph

KG ; (16 Pick) ; Melo

Trade 1: Paul Pierce for 31, 33 picks 2013, 2nd round pick in 2014 + trade exception

Trade 2: 33 pick + trade exception for J. Smith

Trade 3: Crawford & Bass S&T for M. Ellis

BAM!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

I'm gun-ho for Ellis because he would fit. He can handle either guard position and he is a natural born scorer. He is a good replacement for PP in this scenerio because Green and Smith can only really score in transition. Ellis can create. He is coming off a bad year, so his value is down. He's 27.

Rondo (27) (11M)

Ellis (27) (10M)

Green (26) (8M)

Smith (27) (12M)

Seems like a good core to me. All these guys contribute to rebounding. All these guys can play good Defense when required. All these guys can score. AND you can funnel the offense through any one of these guys. With KG as the defensive anchor for one more year at 12M... this could work. Especially when you think about how all these guys are in their primes and can play 40 minute games. 

Bench: Williams, Terry, Sullinger, Melo, (16 Pick), (2nd round pick), Randolph

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from teejaytee70. Show teejaytee70's posts

Josh Smith - the ugliest game in the NBA.  Ugh.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kdp59. Show kdp59's posts

Wouldn't Garnett be at the 5?

[/QUOTE]

did you click the link?

http://sphotos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/531801_468015003240750_937633765_n.jpg

two headbands

run and gun basketball

and a Darnell Hillman afro?

maybe Kevin Loughery should be the new HC?

OK...I am old I get it.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In response to Mployee8's comment:

I need some help with the capologist on the board here.

I am confused by the articles' explaination (or lack of ) as to how the Celtics can get Smith.

I understand we can trade Pierce and his $15M + contract to team with the cap space (say cleveland)

but how does that get us enough space to sign Smith for $15M or there abouts?

I saw the term "trade exception" but I am not clear what that even means.

so my quesitions are;

1) why couldn't we just Sign Smith?

2) if we have to TRADE for him , what do we have to TRADE in a sign and trade ( do players traded have to add up to his first year contract? a "tarde exception" whatever that is and how does THAT work/).

3) if we only have to send a "trade exception" why would Atlanta want to do it?

1) We are over the cap and can't sign a Free Agent without an exception. We need to get a Player Traded Exception first and that can only be used in a trade ... It can't be used to sign free agents.

2) Once a PTE is acquired, a team can trade any player or draft pick and take back more salary even though over the cap as long as the TPE will cover the difference between the player given up and the player received.

3) We don't send our trade exception. Say we send a player (Terry @ $5MM) for Smith. Terry's salary is used to reduce the amount owed for Smith (say $17MM in a S&T) ... that means Atlanta gets their own PTE for $12MM as a result of the transaction and the C's PTE is reduced by a like amount ($12MM) leaving the C's with a $3MM balance on their PTE.

The question I have.... the story doesn't say whether the trade will take place before or after 6/30th. Fungus34 says the C's can't trade with the Cavs until 7/1 cuz the Cavs don't have enough cap space until their current contracts expire on 7/1. But I thought that a team under the cap could take on all the salary they wanted and this story seems to indicate that is the case, as the story says $15MM for Pierce rather than his 2013-14' salary of $16.7MM.

It's important because if the C's can trade on draft night they don't have to take the risk of letting Pierce's full contract go into effect and then worrying about whether the Cavs will still do the deal after the C's are on the hook come 7/1. The story seems to indicate that yes, the Cavs can take on Pierce before 7/1 for draft picks and the resulting PTE would be about $15MM otherwise they s/b indicating a PTE of $16.7MM if the deal were to be done after 6/30. Curious to see what others think or if any additional info develops regarding when this trade would be exercised ... before or after 6/30th (????).

The Celts can't trade with the Cavs until after July 1st, I've been saying this for weeks, apparently Fungus has jumped on my posting of this, but I have him on ignore as you should as well Mployee.

I'm not sure how TPE's work as far as trading them in conjuction with another player. I always thought you could only trade the exception for one player, not mix and match multiple incoming/outgoing players with it. 

Either way, the Hawks would have no interest in any og our overpaid guards, MAYBE Crawford, but they have been there done that with him. The only thing that would make sense is to send them Bass (6.75m) along with 8-9 million of PP's TPE amount of 15.3 to give Smith a 4 year 60 million deal.

In that situation we save 7 million of the TPE to use on another player, say Redick or since we'd still need a big man, Dalembert or Kaman (Bynum/Big Akl is prob out of tha price range). But again I didn't think you could split the TPE and/or use it with multiple other players.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gasthoerer. Show Gasthoerer's posts

In response to R9R's comment:

I'm gun-ho for Ellis because he would fit. He can handle either guard position and he is a natural born scorer. He is a good replacement for PP in this scenerio because Green and Smith can only really score in transition. Ellis can create. He is coming off a bad year, so his value is down. He's 27.

Ellis (27) (10M)

Green (26) (8M)

Seems like a good core to me. All these guys contribute to rebounding. All these guys can play good Defense when required.

Which Ellis are we talking about? The one I know, can't defend to save his life, and his rebounding is at least as questionable as Green's. IMO you team is doomed, if Ellis is more than a scorer from the bench in limited minutees.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kdp59. Show kdp59's posts

In response to Mployee8's comment:

I need some help with the capologist on the board here.

I am confused by the articles' explaination (or lack of ) as to how the Celtics can get Smith.

I understand we can trade Pierce and his $15M + contract to team with the cap space (say cleveland)

but how does that get us enough space to sign Smith for $15M or there abouts?

I saw the term "trade exception" but I am not clear what that even means.

so my quesitions are;

1) why couldn't we just Sign Smith?

2) if we have to TRADE for him , what do we have to TRADE in a sign and trade ( do players traded have to add up to his first year contract? a "tarde exception" whatever that is and how does THAT work/).

3) if we only have to send a "trade exception" why would Atlanta want to do it?

1) We are over the cap and can't sign a Free Agent without an exception. We need to get a Player Traded Exception first and that can only be used in a trade ... It can't be used to sign free agents.

2) Once a PTE is acquired, a team can trade any player or draft pick and take back more salary even though over the cap as long as the TPE will cover the difference between the player given up and the player received.

3) We don't send our trade exception. Say we send a player (Terry @ $5MM) for Smith. Terry's salary is used to reduce the amount owed for Smith (say $17MM in a S&T) ... that means Atlanta gets their own PTE for $12MM as a result of the transaction and the C's PTE is reduced by a like amount ($12MM) leaving the C's with a $3MM balance on their PTE.

The question I have.... the story doesn't say whether the trade will take place before or after 6/30th. Fungus34 says the C's can't trade with the Cavs until 7/1 cuz the Cavs don't have enough cap space until their current contracts expire on 7/1. But I thought that a team under the cap could take on all the salary they wanted and this story seems to indicate that is the case, as the story says $15MM for Pierce rather than his 2013-14' salary of $16.7MM.

It's important because if the C's can trade on draft night they don't have to take the risk of letting Pierce's full contract go into effect and then worrying about whether the Cavs will still do the deal after the C's are on the hook come 7/1. The story seems to indicate that yes, the Cavs can take on Pierce before 7/1 for draft picks and the resulting PTE would be about $15MM otherwise they s/b indicating a PTE of $16.7MM if the deal were to be done after 6/30. Curious to see what others think or if any additional info develops regarding when this trade would be exercised ... before or after 6/30th (????).

OK thanks

not sure why the NBA cap has to be SOOOO confusing.

so KG retiring would be of no issue in this scenario then?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Would the Hawks send Smith here for Bass, Bradley and Melo? That is 10-11 million in outgoing salaries... Smith could sign for 25% more so a contract starting at 13 would pretty much get him mini-max money of 4 years 60 million.

Then we save the TPE for someone else, a C to rest KG, like Big Al or (big gamble) Bynum.

Would the Jazz want Bradley, Bass and Melo for Big Al? 

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rajon-Hondo. Show Rajon-Hondo's posts

In response to CablesWyndBairn's comment:

Josh Smith may be the most physically gifted PF-type players in the game, but he also possesses a poor basketbal IQ and is a bit of a freelancer offensively.  Not sure he gets the C's where they want to go, which is back in contention in the east.  The Sporting News ceased being relevant to me a long time ago, so we'll see if they are even close to correct with this rumour. 

Amen. I'd rather trade RR and any player not named Garnett,Pierce,Green or Bradley to get Horford and L Williams. Agree 100% on your assesment on Smith. Smith only if DA knows something about breaking news on brain transplants that we don't. Smith neck down >LBJ, neck up Smith< than D West and AI combined. It's never going to happen but if we get Horford and L Williams we get 18 this year. Smith leads the league in W T F moments hands down. Smith = Wicks and Lowe.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomobo. Show tomobo's posts

In response to Rajon-Hondo's comment:

In response to CablesWyndBairn's comment:

Josh Smith may be the most physically gifted PF-type players in the game, but he also possesses a poor basketbal IQ and is a bit of a freelancer offensively.  Not sure he gets the C's where they want to go, which is back in contention in the east.  The Sporting News ceased being relevant to me a long time ago, so we'll see if they are even close to correct with this rumour. 

Amen. I'd rather trade RR and any player not named Garnett,Pierce,Green or Bradley to get Horford and L Williams. Agree 100% on your assesment on Smith. Smith only if DA knows something about breaking news on brain transplants that we don't. Smith neck down >LBJ, neck up Smith< than D West and AI combined. It's never going to happen but if we get Horford and L Williams we get 18 this year. Smith leads the league in W T F moments hands down. Smith = Wicks and Lowe.

I'd prefer Horford as well but the Hawks have 2 good PG'S(Teague & Harris) on their roster(one a former all star) who combined make equal or less than Rondo. They're simply are not going to want Rondo. I would only want Josh if he had a brain transplant...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rajon-Hondo. Show Rajon-Hondo's posts

If Josh and RR are old HS chums that are BFFs who knows? You're probably right though.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Ian Thompson was just on uno sports,  and he said that Josh Smith "was a very, very, very bad idea for the Celtics" He said that he and Rondo paired up will be a nightmare for a new coach.  Doc he said had his hands full with one of them

He also mentioned he believes Brett Brown will become the next Celtics head coach.

He was very high on him saying he as a New Englander would want to come here, and he may have a lot of other offers.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

So if they trade Pierce it's for two second round players and a trade exception that allows them to pursue a Smith S&T?  Better to get something for PP, but I am still not a Josh Smith fan.  I really find it hard to believe that there isn't a contender out there that couldn't use a Pierce-type player.