JT hinting KG will retire

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

Re: JT hinting KG will retire

I must admit that even if we lose game 5 in NY, I am very happy that our 2 Hall of Famers, KG & PP, who may retire or be elsewhere next year, will have won their last game in Boston.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In response to SFBostonFan's comment:

I must admit that even if we lose game 5 in NY, I am very happy that our 2 Hall of Famers, KG & PP, who may retire or be elsewhere next year, will have won their last game in Boston.

If KG isn't playing for the Celtics he will probably retire.  He didn't waive his no trade clause   this season.  Why would next season be any different? 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

He can't retire.

His last home game, posting up 13 points (5-7), 17 rebounds, 6 assists, 1 block, 1 steal and only 2 turnovers... in 37 minutes

How do you put up those numbers and then retire. HOW?!

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

In response to R9R's comment:

He can't retire.

His last home game, posting up 13 points (5-7), 17 rebounds, 6 assists, 1 block, 1 steal and only 2 turnovers... in 37 minutes

Its funny everyone wants to get rid of PP and KG.  We have one big on this team that ever plays, and does a pretty good job by himself.  We have 2 scorers in JG and PP and we want to run one off.  Get rid of.KG and PP so that we can get better?  ROFLMAO   Wake up people KG and PP aren't the problem here its the others.   Do you realize we have the worst guards of any team in the playoffs?  Up until yesterday we had gotten nothing from any of them.  Bradley has been abused the last two games on one end and can't make a pt on the other.  

This team needs Rondo back,  at least one guard that is a threat to drive and score, and one 7fter.   We need to quit relying on PP and KG,  not run them off.    Just think how bad our guards have played  in the Knick series.  Its horrible.  They can't even bring the ball up and start the offense,  we have to get PP and JG to do that and then we wonder why they have turnovers?

With the right additions and get rid of some of the dead weight we are not that far off.

One other thing  Jeff and Paul were getting double and triple teamed because our guard were not threat what so ever.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

In response to OneOnOne's comment:

He can't retire.

Its funny everyone wants to get rid of PP and KG.  We have one big on this team that ever plays, and does a pretty good job by himself.  We have 2 scorers in JG and PP and we want to run one off.  Get rid of.KG and PP so that we can get better?  ROFLMAO   Wake up people KG and PP aren't the problem here its the others.   Do you realize we have the worst guards of any team in the playoffs?  Up until yesterday we had gotten nothing from any of them.  Bradley has been abused the last two games on one end and can't make a pt on the other.  

This team needs Rondo back,  at least one guard that is a threat to drive and score, and one 7fter.   We need to quit relying on PP and KG,  not run them off.    Just think how bad our guards have played  in the Knick series.  Its horrible.  They can't even bring the ball up and start the offense,  we have to get PP and JG to do that and then we wonder why they have turnovers?

With the right additions and get rid of some of the dead weight we are not that far off.

One other thing  Jeff and Paul were getting double and triple teamed because our guard were not threat what so ever.

+1    Spot On!

Why do people think its all or nothing. That its either KG and PP carry us, or we trade them and rebuild? I am a firm believer that we can do what San Antonio is doing. With Rondo and Green in their primes PP and KG can be the gravy that pushes us over the top. The only thing is that their currently taking up 27M in cap space. If we can waive and re-sign Paul this offseason for half the money, it could free up enough to go after a legit scorer like Reddick or Ellis OR go after a legit 7 footer. Look at what Mohammed is doing for Chicago... there's got to be guys out there. Maybe we can get Kaman on a deal?

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

In response to OneOnOne's comment:

He can't retire.

+1    Spot On!

Why do people think its all or nothing. That its either KG and PP carry us, or we trade them and rebuild? I am a firm believer that we can do what San Antonio is doing. With Rondo and Green in their primes PP and KG can be the gravy that pushes us over the top. The only thing is that their currently taking up 27M in cap space. If we can waive and re-sign Paul this offseason for half the money, it could free up enough to go after a legit scorer like Reddick or Ellis OR go after a legit 7 footer. Look at what Mohammed is doing for Chicago... there's got to be guys out there. Maybe we can get Kaman on a deal?

I have watched nearly every game in the playoffs.  Each team has guards that are a threat to score or set someone up for a open shot.   How many times did our guards this whole series actually go to the hole and score or set someone up?  Maybe once a game.  Bradley to me should be on the bench.  Not sure how much worse any of our other guards could do. AB is getting scorched by Felton and the Knicks pretty much leave our guards wide open so they can double team PP and JG.  How much worse could williams do?

Reddick yes,  Ellis no.  His percentage is terrible this year and I think it matches his other years.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In response to Fierce34's comment:

If KG was only getting 3m per year then he should return next season. But is a 37-year old KG really worth 12.4m next season?

The Celts are not going to get a quality big man with just the MLE. That's been the case since the Celts got Ray and KG.

I definitely agree with you.  If KG was being paid in the $2 to $3 million range we wouldn't even be discussing his retirement.  He would be able to continue to be a part-time player for this team in the future and the Celtics would have enough cap space to sign another 5.   

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In response to damfuno's comment:

Removing KG and Pierce will not make us better. It will make us bad. But it's normal for teams, whose stars got old, to undergo a rebuilding process after a great run.

It's not like Boston is a city like NY or LA where superstar players are dying to go to. Even KG didn't want to go to Boston at first. It was only when the Celts got Ray that KG agreed to come to Boston.

Even David West and CP3 didn't want to come to Boston last season.

Rebuilding is going to take time........it doesn't happen overnight.........in this league you either want to be very bad or very good........to be stuck in the middle is purgatory and you never get out...........I say amnesty PP and force KG to retire........yes we may be really bad next year but we would enter the lottery and that should help us get better plus we would have a lot of cap room to sign players who are good for more than half a game.......

I thought that if Pierce is released he could be resigned for a much smaller amount.  If he was willing to do this it would help the Celtics next year.  As I have stated many times if KG was being paid a small amount this would have helped the Celtics this season.  If KG and Paul were both being paid like part-time role players it would give the Celtics much needed cap space to be more competitive next season. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Removing KG and Pierce will not make us better. It will make us bad. But it's normal for teams, whose stars got old, to undergo a rebuilding process after a great run.

It's not like Boston is a city like NY or LA where superstar players are dying to go to. Even KG didn't want to go to Boston at first. It was only when the Celts got Ray that KG agreed to come to Boston.

Rebuilding is going to take time........it doesn't happen overnight.........in this league you either want to be very bad or very good........to be stuck in the middle is purgatory and you never get out...........I say amnesty PP and force KG to retire........yes we may be really bad next year but we would enter the lottery and that should help us get better plus we would have a lot of cap room to sign players who are good for more than half a game.......

2007-08 season

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaktug. Show kaktug's posts

not sure why this is still being discussed when i have already provided the blueprint... ;)

the longer PP starts at the 3, the longer jeff green's growth will be slowed. green's a natural 3 and should be starting there. end of story. in green, rondo and bradley we have three very nice starters at the 1-2-3. admittedly, neither rondo nor bradley has a deadly outside shot. if we could get a true 2-guard, bradley can come off the bench at the 1 or the 2. that might actually be ideal.

as i said, green should start a the 3. will sully be ready to start at the 4? i hope so. if not, we might need a 1-year band-aid starter at the 4 while sully hopefully picks up his development where it left off before the surgery. enter KG?

and, obviously, we badly need a true 5. so all that said, it seems we need starting-caliber players at the 2 and the 5 this off-season. that should be danny's goal. i love paul pierce, but i don't see how his presence on this team helps us going forward, unless he's willing to come off the bench. and even if he were willing to do that, i'm not sure that green needs to be looking over his shoulder at a boston legend like paul. no, the best scenario for everyone, hard as it may be to accept, is that paul moves on. as stated above, KG may prove useful for one more year as a mentor for sully.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaktug. Show kaktug's posts

not sure how i would be possible to get howard. it might not be possible at all. but a lineup of

rondo

???/bradley

green

KG/sully

howard

would be pretty amazing. i think howard would thrive in our defensive system. we still would need a true shooter at the 2-guard.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jhol. Show jhol's posts

I still think KG has another year left in him, but perhaps as a bench player.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

I think KG has another year left in him but not carrying the burden it will take to make the Celtics successful next year.  If KG is here, then we're less likely to get any players who can come in and help.

I've said on another thread that the Celtics rebuild would be immediate if KG had accepted a trade to the Clips for Bledsoe and DeAndre Jordan (we need to revisit that in the offseason).  I also believe O.J. Mayo has worn out his one year in Dallas and they might be interested in doing a sign and trade in return for a guy like Terry or Lee (at least Dallas gets something in return rather than letting Mayo walk).  The Celtics guard rotation would then be set with Rondo, Mayo, AB and Bledsoe (and TWill and Crawford).

If they decided to keep Pierce (and lose KG), they would still have front court scoring in PP and JG and Sully and Bass at the PF.  I would then seek a move to package Bass (and/or Lee) somewhere in which a team would be losing a FA big and would be willing to do a sign and trade (again getting something out of the deal).

And the cherry on top would be if the Celtics waived PP and he got picked up thus saving us salary cap space with the difference in salary ($5M on our cap but signs elsewhere for $4M = $1M cap hit).  Then we could go out and get another very good player(s).

Danny has to get creative but the Celtics have a plethora of proven good backups, guys who, in the right situation, can contribute significantly to a team (and have as backups in the past).  We've just relied too heavily on them in Boston.  We relied too heavily on Bass and Lee and Terry to give us more than they are capable of giving.  That's why Ray is in Miami.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaktug. Show kaktug's posts

In response to Petey62's comment:

I think KG has another year left in him but not carrying the burden it will take to make the Celtics successful next year.  If KG is here, then we're less likely to get any players who can come in and help.

I've said on another thread that the Celtics rebuild would be immediate if KG had accepted a trade to the Clips for Bledsoe and DeAndre Jordan (we need to revisit that in the offseason).  I also believe O.J. Mayo has worn out his one year in Dallas and they might be interested in doing a sign and trade in return for a guy like Terry or Lee (at least Dallas gets something in return rather than letting Mayo walk).  The Celtics guard rotation would then be set with Rondo, Mayo, AB and Bledsoe (and TWill and Crawford).

If they decided to keep Pierce (and lose KG), they would still have front court scoring in PP and JG and Sully and Bass at the PF.  I would then seek a move to package Bass (and/or Lee) somewhere in which a team would be losing a FA big and would be willing to do a sign and trade (again getting something out of the deal).

And the cherry on top would be if the Celtics waived PP and he got picked up thus saving us salary cap space with the difference in salary ($5M on our cap but signs elsewhere for $4M = $1M cap hit).  Then we could go out and get another very good player(s).

Danny has to get creative but the Celtics have a plethora of proven good backups, guys who, in the right situation, can contribute significantly to a team (and have as backups in the past).  We've just relied too heavily on them in Boston.  We relied too heavily on Bass and Lee and Terry to give us more than they are capable of giving.  That's why Ray is in Miami.

very good post.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from passfirst. Show passfirst's posts

http://www.celticslife.com/2013/04/jason-terry-drops-hint-that-this-is-kgs.html

Scott Souza @scott_souza

#Celtics guard Jason Terry: I had been letting Kevin Garnett down. I didn't want his last impression to be swept. (Umm ...)

4:42 AM - 29 Apr 2013

I think Terry knows that Terry is gone after this season.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

In response to Karllost's comment:

2007-08 season

Its really funny that people around here know the best way to get to the top.  All the NBA managers don't have a clue do they?  We know what needs to be done around here though don't we?  I am a firm believer in adding to what you got, not getting rid of the most valuable pieces because they aren't as good as they were 5 years ago.  Other players have to step up,  not other players step out.

Now show me all the teams that "blow it up"  that were successful. Sure high draft picks help but they are a crapshoot unless its a 1-3 pick and then its a 50 50 shot.  The Spurs has remained competitive without blowing up.  The Lakers have.  I just would like to know the "blow it up" teams that are there now?

Trading and building chemistry work.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

In response to Petey62's comment:

I agree about KG.  His problem is he is the ONLY big that plays.  How many teams rely on one big?  How many teams get nothing from their guard play?

One thing is we are better with PP and KG than we are without.  We just have to quit relying on them so heavily.   JG and PP get doubled and triple teamed most of the time.  The reason is lack of respect for our guards.

We have to get a knock down shooter.  JJ would work IMO.

Doc IMO is as much the problem as anything.  Although I consider him a good coach, a players coach,  but he has to adapt.  IMO Randolph should have gotten force fed when he had a couple of pretty good games.  Let him learn by his mistakes.  At least we would have had a big in the game.  

I think too many players worry about what Doc thinks instead of playing their game.  Like they have a harness on them.  If Doc doesn't adapt we are in for another long season.

Must haves:

A big other than KG that plays every game.  (not talking about Sully either but a center)

Some guards that can actually hit a shot on a regular basis.

Get rid of who you want but we need this added.