JT hinting KG will retire

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

Re: JT hinting KG will retire

OneOnOne, I agree that if Doc adopted the "Popovich plays all players" strategy, then eventually we probably could be a much better team with who we have (or by adding to the core).  Like you said, Doc is a major impediment to that philosophy though.

Over time, by relying on "other" players, it builds their confidence and you get solid contributions from them thus relieving some of the burden off Pierce and KG.  But you have to commit to it which is Doc's shortcoming.  In addition, if the Celtics refuse to carry a big other than KG who can contribute or a PG to run the team or a rebounder, then all bets are off.

So, IMO, since it doesn't appear that Doc is going to relent, maybe it's time we move those guys.  The Celtics are not better without PP and KG than they are with them.......BUT.  I believe the Celtics CAN get more players who, collectively, bring more than what PP and KG can bring.

By removing PP and KG (and maybe JT, BB and CL) and adding O.J. Mayo (for JT), Bledsoe, Jordan (KG for Bledsoe & Jordan), Gasol (PP for Gasol), I think the Celtics will be just fine now and better in another 2-3 years and well into the future than if they held onto them.  You will add those guys to Rondo, AB, JG and Sully and I think you have a great core for years to come.  And with Gasol coming off the books, we can look to re-sign him or have some cap space to sign someone else.

JG is currently doing what PP is doing and possibly can do it even more efficiently if given the opportunity.  Jordan and Gasol can do what KG does and even more.  Then you add a 2 guard in someone like Mayo and Bledsoe who can do more than any of our current 2 guards can do.  Collectively, we're building a better team, all around.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to Kirk6's comment:

In response to R9R's comment:

He can't retire.

His last home game, posting up 13 points (5-7), 17 rebounds, 6 assists, 1 block, 1 steal and only 2 turnovers... in 37 minutes

How do you put up those numbers and then retire. HOW?!

If I were Ainge I would try to bring KG back.

I hope not. Much as I like KG..and Paul Pierce is by far my favorite modern day Celtics player...I think they retire after this season.  Perhaps they come back as part of the bench..but the Celtics need to build for the future..and right now they really have no one to step into KG or PP's shoes. This is Ainge's real failure in my opinion.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jump-ball-overtime. Show Jump-ball-overtime's posts

It is to KG's credit that he wants everyone to focus on the game at hand and not on him. For much of his career, he has been a team first guy, with a never say die attitude.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

KG 17 rebounds, 17 rebounds, 18 rebounds.  Like I said he is still capable if we have the right pieces around him all year long.

Petey, I agree if we could get something for PP and KG it would be good,  but I don't see anyone giving us anything near what we want.  Doesn't matter Game 6 in the REAL garden.  If we can take care of business, game 7 could get really interesting.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jump-ball-overtime. Show Jump-ball-overtime's posts

Not worth what?

Watching a team that is in the lottery for years does not sound like fun to most people. Tonights game was heroic, and win or lose, it is worth the price of admission. Watching a bunch of average guys play average ball will never be worth watching.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

In response to Jump-ball-overtime's comment:

Not worth what?

Watching a team that is in the lottery for years does not sound like fun to most people. Tonights game was heroic, and win or lose, it is worth the price of admission. Watching a bunch of average guys play average ball will never be worth watching.

nevermind,  i couldn't read who you were replying to.  I don't want to watch lotteryball either.  I would prefer to add to what we have and hope people like Jeff and others step up and learn how to play like PP and KG.  We have some good ingredients to mix up a batch of whoop A$$$

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mployee8. Show Mployee8's posts

In response to Fierce34's comment:

KG and Pierce have been showing signs of slowing down the last 2 seasons. 

By next season, KG will be 38 and Pierce will be 36.

KG has not had a 20-point game in this year's playoffs. 

Pierce has become a turnover machine.

Sure the backcourt is the bigger problem because of Rondo's absence. But let's be realistic. If the Celts keep Pierce and KG then just add another player for the MLE, is that enough for another Finals run?

You're not a very good GM/Capologist!

The C's could easily package Mello & Terry, Lee & Bass or any combination of those players and others to get an upgrade at one position and still have the MLE for another. Let's say they trade Lee & Bass for a Center and then sign T'Morrow with the MLE. That's a start ....

Morrow's a young Ray Allen, a stretch 3 pt shooter (1 trick pony) that had a hip injury and was never able to crack the Mavs lineup under their coach ... He's also good buddies with you guessed it .... Dwight Howard .... Hahaha

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/mavericks/post/_/id/4695899/buy-or-bye-anthony-morrow

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

In response to Mployee8's comment:

In response to Fierce34's comment:

KG and Pierce have been showing signs of slowing down the last 2 seasons. 

By next season, KG will be 38 and Pierce will be 36.

KG has not had a 20-point game in this year's playoffs. 

Pierce has become a turnover machine.

Sure the backcourt is the bigger problem because of Rondo's absence. But let's be realistic. If the Celts keep Pierce and KG then just add another player for the MLE, is that enough for another Finals run?

You're not a very good GM/Capologist!

The C's could easily package Mello & Terry, Lee & Bass or any combination of those players and others to get an upgrade at one position and still have the MLE for another. Let's say they trade Lee & Bass for a Center and then sign T'Morrow with the MLE. That's a start ....

Morrow's a young Ray Allen, a stretch 3 pt shooter (1 trick pony) that had a hip injury and was never able to crack the Mavs lineup under their coach ... He's also good buddies with you guessed it .... Dwight Howard .... Hahaha

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/mavericks/post/_/id/4695899/buy-or-bye-anthony-morrow

Looks as if I had a reply to my post from someone.  I am assuming he is barraging me with why he knows whats best for the team and yada, yada, yada.  I perfer the heart and desire of what I am seeing now compared to living in loser land for years.  I think we played that card for years and years and years.   Again we just need to keep adding to what we have and let guys make the chemistry for the team.  People like JG  will learn how to be that stud.  Maybe Williams learns something and turns into a very good player.  Sully and Rondo come back.  We actually get a SG that can shoot and defend. (sorry JT- your my 4th guard)  I have no doubt with all our players we win this series hands down.

15. This post has been removed.