Just a basic question..... re: paying guys coming off of heart surgery

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

Just a basic question..... re: paying guys coming off of heart surgery

So Wilcox and Green have very similar surgeries on their AORTAs....  Wilcox signs for a veteran minimum deal just to get his feet wet back in the league and see what he has left. 

Conversely, the Celts go out and sign Green to 4 years and 36 million bucks to do the same thing.

WHY the difference in not just years, but $$$$ here?  we did not have anything to prove to green, it's vice versa.  he was NOT a 9M a year guy before he went under the knife!

This, among other dumb moves by ainge is showing a pattern of mini-pitino type overpaying in years and/or dollars that we just can't afford to do right now.  it started with overpaying KG at 11M.  KG should have come to work if he really wanted to win another ring for 2 or 3 million.  11 is a bizarre number- drastically less than 27 million, the guy has booked 350-400 million in his life and trust me there is NO difference between 11 million and 2 or 3 million to him.  then you go overspend massively on green....

How do we recover from this to assemble a contending roster????  I still see us ending up with simply missing pieces, like last year and prior years.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mark from Ct. Show Mark from Ct's posts

Re: Just a basic question..... re: paying guys coming off of heart surgery

When is the Jeff Green or Matt Barnes signing happening?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lakerfaker. Show lakerfaker's posts

someone is getting their butt spanked.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mark from Ct. Show Mark from Ct's posts

In Response to Re: Just a basic question..... re: paying guys coming off of heart surgery:
    [QUOTE]someone is getting their butt spanked.
    Posted by lakerfaker[/QUOTE]

Is that where hedley has been?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lakerfaker. Show lakerfaker's posts

In Response to Re: Just a basic question..... re: paying guys coming off of heart surgery:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Just a basic question..... re: paying guys coming off of heart surgery : Is that where hedley has been?
    Posted by Mark from Ct[/QUOTE]

who is hedley?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Just a basic question..... re: paying guys coming off of heart surgery : so what you're saying then, is that it's a good idea to have 24 million tied up into 2 small forwards?  pierce + green = 24 million this is unfathomable to me. 
    Posted by aciemvp[/QUOTE]

Why can't Pierce slide over to 2 at times.  A lineup of Rondo, Pierce, Green, Josh Smith (now I am dreaming) and KG can be devastating at both ends.  For most teams, Sullinger/Bass will be adequate substitutes for Josh Smith. Smile

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Poor Acie.  This thread must really hurt.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

" It's obvious DA had to save face with the Perk trade and keep Green no matter the cost."

I agree with that. And Acie I tend to agree with your original post, I think we overpaid significantly for Green given the situation, and I think saving face is the reason why. Having said that, if Green plays up to his potential he could be a valuable piece, and we didn't have a ton of attractive free agent options. So I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised by Green this year.

I believe your'e wrong about Perk being washed up though, he played good D on Duncan and OKC credits him for toughening them up and getting them over the hump. You're confusing "washed up" with "nagging injury in playoffs.". We'll find out in just under a year when Perk goes head to head with Dwight in the Western Conference Finals. OKC is going to need him, so we'll find out on that. 

bottom line: we overpaid for Green but there wasn't a significantly better option out there for us at the moment. It's a dice roll and now we find out. At least the Green fanboyz on this forum are happy. 

On the other hand his contract isn't done yet so.. :)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

any thoughts on this now?   Looks so far like Green is going to be well worth the money.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

Nine Mil in todays world of sports is not a lot of money. Two years from now we may think we got a steal!! There are a lot worse deals out there, than the deal we gave Jeff Green!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from red2004sox. Show red2004sox's posts

Agree, he's looking solid so far and brings another dimension the Celtics didn't have on the floor last season.  Looking forward to seeing his mid season form.  Sully looked good again and this time it was NBA talent.  Darko will fit in well off the bench.  He just needs to crash the boards and set picks.  Was actually a bit of a surprise to see that he was that thick in size.  I always thought he was tall but had a thinner frame set. 

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

I agree with acie that Greens contract is hard to justify at the time of signing.  However, if the C's think we can contend for a title this year then biting the bullet on Green to get an important piece might be worth it. If KG is still on board then we dont have time to waste..

Green is looking good offensively against 2nd units and we needed those points desperately last season. But acie makes a valid point imo

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

In response to Fiercest34's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Karllost's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I agree with acie that Greens contract is hard to justify at the time of signing.  However, if the C's think we can contend for a title this year then biting the bullet on Green to get an important piece might be worth it. If KG is still on board then we dont have time to waste..

Green is looking good offensively against 2nd units and we needed those points desperately last season. But acie makes a valid point imo

[/QUOTE]

Guys like Batum and G.Wallace got more than what Green got. If Green is healthy, he's a bargain at 9m per year.

[/QUOTE]

Green might be a steal but thats just speculation at this point. However, one thing may distinguish those others from Green.. arent they starters?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I don't think the heart surgery was a big gamble.  I have had both heart and back surgery.  Back surgery is 10 times harder to recover from.  8 months after heart surgery I was not playing basketball but I was golfing and was already at the same level as I was before.  Back surgery 2 years later and I still feel it everyday.  Green is going to be efffective both at the 3 and the 4.   Its mostly mental.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I bet other GM's would take Green at that price right now, especially after  watching him so far in pre season.  I know Doc is happy.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In response to kyceltic's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Nine Mil in todays world of sports is not a lot of money. Two years from now we may think we got a steal!! There are a lot worse deals out there, than the deal we gave Jeff Green!!

[/QUOTE]
    You need to get rid of Ray Allen's picture.  I don't think most Celtics fans want to be reminded of him.