Just for argument's sake

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Number6Fan. Show Number6Fan's posts

Just for argument's sake

This post is just for fun.

For whatever reason, the Celts' current most controversial player is Rondo.  Many love him, some can't stand him.  Many are in the middle. (For the record, full disclosure, I think he's the best PG the Celtics have had since DJ retired.) 

The last Celtics starter we had who used to inspire those kinds of emotions was Antoine Walker, whose game, in my opinion, was unique but just plain weird.

Soooo . . .

If you had to chose between the 26 year-old Rondo, or the 26 year-old 'Toine to build the next edition (post-Big Three) of the C's around, which would you choose?

cheers --

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneNation. Show OneNation's posts

Re: Just for argument's sake

Since Rondo tends to make everyone around him better. I'll take Rondo.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Here's the problem with this question:

We know how Antoine progressed and we don't know how Rondo will progress.

If Rondo doesn't learn a jumper, doesn't learn to shoot free throws, doesn't learn to fight harder over picks on defense, and doesn't progress beyond his current skills, I would choose Antoine.  But, Rondo has the potential to develop and if he plays with 2 or 3 other great scorers like the current Big 3, his weaknesses will be hidden and he'll be fine.  The kid has tremendous passing ability and control of the game + he's quick enough to beat just about anyone on offense.

If, on the other hand, Toine had played with better folks and didn't take so much on himself (like he didn't try to shoot 3's to win that way and if he was a pint forward with other shooters he could depend on rather than just Paul to depend on), he would have been great.  But, it never happened so its history now.  

If I could take Antoine's fire and desire and focus and enthusiasm and infuse that into Rondo, Rondo will truly continue to grow.

Short answer, I'd have to choose Rondo because his future is still unknown.  But make no mistake, I'm one of the few on this Board who absolutely LOVED Antoine for fighting so hard for our team when we had no real superstars in their prime, a nut for a coach (Pitino, and a set of stupid GM's/owers).   

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

It's a crap shoot, but my bet would be the odds of Rondo winning this bet...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mountainmonkey. Show mountainmonkey's posts

In the long run, 'Toine's team would be better....because his team would be in the lottery every stinkin' year....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneNation. Show OneNation's posts

I'm just thinking on the lines of building. A stellar PG may be the most important piece to the puzzle.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Number6Fan. Show Number6Fan's posts

In Response to Re: Just for argument's sake:
    [QUOTE]Toine is not even an All-Star in the D-League. Enough said!
    Posted by P34[/QUOTE]

I said "a 26 year-old Antoine"  :-)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

In Response to Re: Just for argument's sake:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Just for argument's sake : I said "a 26 year-old Antoine"  :-)
    Posted by Number6Fan[/QUOTE]

My bad.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RajonRondo9Fan. Show RajonRondo9Fan's posts

Rondo

Sections
Shortcuts