Just for fun I want to talk Perk again

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Just for fun I want to talk Perk again

It would really only be if OKC amnesties him after the season in order to sign both Harden and Ibaka. Those two are between 3-7 on the top free agent list next summer and no way do they not combine for anything less than 25 million in additional costs to OKC.

For a team that is not in huge market, just the Westbrook, Durant, Harden and Ibaka contracts will be crushing them 60 million next year and 70 by '14/'15 or so. Starting the VERY fairly paid Collison (2.6) or Sefolosha (4) still gives them a great core 6 guys. Then fielding a team of underpaid backups in Thabeet (900k), Jones (1.1m), Maynor (3.3m) a 1st rd pick and 2 vet min guys puts them just over the tax.

But no room for Perk's 17.5m over 2 years, esp when you have Ibaka and Collison who can play the 4 and 5, Durant can play some 4 and Thabeet some 5.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Re: Just for fun I want to talk Perk again

So if OKC amnesties Perk and we stay just under the tax threshold next year (PP restructures his deal to around 9-11 a year instead of 15) we can give Perk the full MLE.

He would get the money and role Danny envisioned of him when they talked extension as he rehabbed his knee injury. Danny saw a 24 minute C who was going to get you a 7-7-2, intimidate people, protect the paint (and KG) and be needed for 30+ mins only when he faced guys like Bynum/Howard and then be needed for under 20 mins when we faced the Heat/Bulls/OKC speed teams. So worthy of a 4/20 extension.

Perk saw himself as a 35 minute C who would be a double-double guy if he didn't play with 3 HOFers and was given more touches. Worthy of a 4/40 extension. Well, no more touches in OKC and he's not the big minute starter he thought.

but I'd take him for the minutes we'd be giving Bass and Wilcox, he will scowl, lay some hard fouls, is only going to be 29 next season (Wilcox 31) and just being 6'10" instead of 6'8" means a combined 5 more boards/blocks a game in the same mins as Bass. He is also Rondo's best friend.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In Response to Re: Just for fun I want to talk Perk again:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Just for fun I want to talk Perk again : Thabeet is a joke. He has been healthy and has scored 82 points in the last two seasons. He has committed more fould then had points in the last two seasons. Perkins will probably be amnestied.
    Posted by TommyRules[/QUOTE]

OKC just has 2m commited to him for 2 years... he gets to spend this year developing into the speed/length guy in practice, then if Perk is gone they will just need like 8-16 mins out of him protecting the rim. Collison and Ibaka will play 32-40 mins at the 5 and another 28-40 mins at the 4 (with Durant/Perry Jones seeing time there).

OKC can be crazy 'long' the next few years. Wingspans:

Thabeet - 7'-6.25"
    Durant - 7'-4.75"
    Ibaka - 7'-2.5"
    Jones III - 7'-1.75"
    Sefolosha - 7'-1.5"

Just insane, and obv 3 of them can be on the court at the same time, you have a guard-forward, 2 combo-forwards, a PF who can play some C and a bust of a #2 pick C who is still only 24 and is 7'2"

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

There aren't really any trade options available since OKC is a favorite to win the title and they would need Perk around to help this year if they face Bynum/Howard. Swapping him for the expiring contract and similar impact big they would need involves us finding a 3rd team to take Bass and give OKC a Dalambert or Pachulia, just too unlikely.

The only possibility is moving Bass, Collins, Lee (or Avery) and a pick or two for Perk and Harden, if OKC doesn't think they can extend him. They clearly will be giving Ibaka w/e it takes.

But if they were to pair Harden with Perk in any trade they would prob get more back then a backup PF, downgrade at SG and low 1st rd pick. Even if they do get two solid rotation guys at the same cost as Harden alone, and Collins can give them some of the bulk/fouls they will need against a big C in this playoffs as they mostly use Collison/Ibaka at the 5. Perk's 4/5.6 was useful against LA but it wasn't quite the 7/7 he was giving us vs. LA in '10. Westbrook is going to DESTROY Nash, unlike the athletic Sessions so it is best they play w/o the lumbering big anyhow and just tear up the knees of the 4 old men and whatever young C LA has.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

[QUOTE]There aren't really any trade options available since OKC is a favorite to win the title and they would need Perk around to help this year if they face Bynum/Howard. Swapping him for the expiring contract and similar impact big they would need involves us finding a 3rd team to take Bass and give OKC a Dalambert or Pachulia, just too unlikely. The only possibility is moving Bass, Collins, Lee (or Avery) and a pick or two for Perk and Harden, if OKC doesn't think they can extend him. They clearly will be giving Ibaka w/e it takes. But if they were to pair Harden with Perk in any trade they would prob get more back then a backup PF, downgrade at SG and low 1st rd pick. Even if they do get two solid rotation guys at the same cost as Harden alone, and Collins can give them some of the bulk/fouls they will need against a big C in this playoffs as they mostly use Collison/Ibaka at the 5. Perk's 4/5.6 was useful against LA but it wasn't quite the 7/7 he was giving us vs. LA in '10. Westbrook is going to DESTROY Nash, unlike the athletic Sessions so it is best they play w/o the lumbering big anyhow and just tear up the knees of the 4 old men and whatever young C LA has.
    Posted by rameakap[/QUOTE]

Harden is a RFA, so this could actually work.  Wonder if Presti will go for it!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Just for fun I want to talk Perk again : Harden is a RFA, so this could actually work.  Wonder if Presti will go for it!!
    Posted by hedleylamarr[/QUOTE]

If they plan to amnesty Perk anyhow and simply don't want to give a 4th player 12+ million when:

A. he will never be more than a 3rd leading scorer
    B. isn't quite the defender as the much cheaper Sefolosha
    C. makes it harder $ wise to add talent at the 7-9 spots in the rotation

Then it might make sense to add guys around age 26 who will fill roles, have contracts that together make less than Harden's and the pick sweetens the pot. Lee is a 40% 3 point shooter to Harden's 37%, makes more sense to give him the spead the floor for 20-22 mins role than the more mult-talented Harden (who also gets in the way or gets lost a lot in the KD/Westbrook show). Bass can certainly excel in a 16-18 min role at the 4 as they move Collison/Ibaka to the 5 more often and the pick sweetens the deal.

But like I said, I'm sure other teams, esp ones with better picks (or like Houston with all those young players) could come up with a superior trade offer.
    OKC would clearly want to move him East and to a team that can weaken Miami tho, in the same way we took satisfaction seeing Perk help the Thunder stomp the Fakers.

Sections
Shortcuts