Kaman Worth A 1st round pick?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

Re: Kaman Worth A 1st round pick?

If he signs an extension, a la Perk with OKC, then do it.  Otherwise, we need to hang on to our draft picks!!
    Don't forget who's calling the shots in NO, though - the Weasel!!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from sinus007. Show sinus007's posts

Is Kaman worth a 1st round pick - NO

AK

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

Dream scenario:

1. The Celtics trade their unimportant expiring contracts, Moore, and the lower of their two first round draft picks to the Hornets for Chris Kaman.

2. The Celtics re-sign Kaman, Garnett, Allen, Green, Wilcox, and Pietrus, none of whom count against the cap because they're already on the roster (although they do factor into the luxury tax hit). Bass exercises his team option to stay.

3. The Mavericks fail to make the trades necessary to clear cap space for both Deron Williams and Dwight Howard. Cuban settles on Williams alone, leaving the Nets an unattractive destination for Howard. Forced to choose between returning to the Magic or going to the Celtics, Howard opts for the Celtics, a team he did say earlier this year that he would consider.

4. The Celtics trade up a little, or down a little, depending on who gets selected, and draft PG Marquis Teague out of Kentucky as Rondo's backup.

5. With the money left over from Howard, the Celtics sign OJ Mayo away from the Grizzlies as a combo guard backup for Allen, Rondo, and Teague.

6. The Celtics sign Jermaine O'Neal as a third or fourth-string center for the league minimum. He probably won't play in more than a handful of games, but he can be occasionally useful for drawing a charge, blocking a shot, or providing a few minutes of interior defense.

2012-2013 Boston Celtics

1. C Dwight Howard (~35mpg)
    2. PF Kevin Garnett (~18mpg)
    3. SF Paul Pierce (~25mpg)
    4. PG Rajon Rondo (~35mpg)
    5. SG Ray Allen (~18mpg)

6. C Chris Kaman (~20mpg)
    7. PF Chris Wilcox (~20mpg)
    8. SF Jeff Green (~23mpg)
    9. PG Marquis Teague (~13mpg)
    10. SG OJ Mayo (~23mpg)

11. PF Brandon Bass (~3mpg)
    12. SG Mickael Pietrus (~8mpg)

13. C Jermaine O'Neal
    14. PF JaJuan Johnson
    15. SG Avery Bradley

That's a loaded team that would be favored to win the title. Everyone could stay fresh because each position would be 2 to 3 men deep. Some of the players would be unhappy about limited minutes but in the end it would be worthwhile if it means a championship. Injuries happen, so probably most of the guys on the team would get plenty of minutes anyway. The considerable depth at PF and SG would allow Garnett and Allen to go all-out during their 18 minutes of play. I'd give them the first 6 minutes of the game, the last 6 minutes of the second quarter, and the last 6 minutes of the 4th quarter.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from cabutan. Show cabutan's posts

What kind of first rounder can we get?? Stars usually are in the top 10 then almost evreything else ends up in tha nbdl and then like two or three surprises... 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rajon-Hondo. Show Rajon-Hondo's posts

No definitely not

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

In Response to Re: Kaman Worth A 1st round pick?:
    [QUOTE]Dream scenario: 1. The Celtics trade their unimportant expiring contracts, Moore, and the lower of their two first round draft picks to the Hornets for Chris Kaman. 2. The Celtics re-sign Kaman, Garnett, Allen, Green, Wilcox, and Pietrus, none of whom count against the cap because they're already on the roster (although they do factor into the luxury tax hit). Bass exercises his team option to stay. 3. The Mavericks fail to make the trades necessary to clear cap space for both Deron Williams and Dwight Howard. Cuban settles on Williams alone, leaving the Nets an unattractive destination for Howard. Forced to choose between returning to the Magic or going to the Celtics, Howard opts for the Celtics, a team he did say earlier this year that he would consider. 4. The Celtics trade up a little, or down a little, depending on who gets selected, and draft PG Marquis Teague out of Kentucky as Rondo's backup. 5. With the money left over from Howard, the Celtics sign OJ Mayo away from the Grizzlies as a combo guard backup for Allen, Rondo, and Teague. 6. The Celtics sign Jermaine O'Neal as a third or fourth-string center for the league minimum. He probably won't play in more than a handful of games, but he can be occasionally useful for drawing a charge, blocking a shot, or providing a few minutes of interior defense. 2012-2013 Boston Celtics 1. C Dwight Howard (~35mpg) 2. PF Kevin Garnett (~18mpg) 3. SF Paul Pierce (~25mpg) 4. PG Rajon Rondo (~35mpg) 5. SG Ray Allen (~18mpg) 6. C Chris Kaman (~20mpg) 7. PF Chris Wilcox (~20mpg) 8. SF Jeff Green (~23mpg) 9. PG Marquis Teague (~13mpg) 10. SG OJ Mayo (~23mpg) 11. PF Brandon Bass (~3mpg) 12. SG Mickael Pietrus (~8mpg) 13. C Jermaine O'Neal 14. PF JaJuan Johnson 15. SG Avery Bradley That's a loaded team that would be favored to win the title. Everyone could stay fresh because each position would be 2 to 3 men deep. Some of the players would be unhappy about limited minutes but in the end it would be worthwhile if it means a championship. Injuries happen, so probably most of the guys on the team would get plenty of minutes anyway. The considerable depth at PF and SG would allow Garnett and Allen to go all-out during their 18 minutes of play. I'd give them the first 6 minutes of the game, the last 6 minutes of the second quarter, and the last 6 minutes of the 4th quarter.
    Posted by davidap[/QUOTE]

#2 is not right - they would all count against the cap.  Those guys are all unrestricted free agents, and would count if signed.  I like all your other ideas, though. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

#2 is not right - they would all count against the cap.  Those guys are all unrestricted free agents, and would count if signed.

Are you sure? I thought that you can always sign your own player to an extension, even if it takes you over the cap. Did that change under the new CBA?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

[QUOTE]#2 is not right - they would all count against the cap.  Those guys are all unrestricted free agents, and would count if signed. Are you sure? I thought that you can always sign your own player to an extension, even if it takes you over the cap. Did that change under the new CBA?

Then how do you sign other players when your over the cap....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

[QUOTE]#2 is not right - they would all count against the cap.  Those guys are all unrestricted free agents, and would count if signed. Are you sure? I thought that you can always sign your own player to an extension, even if it takes you over the cap. Did that change under the new CBA?

You are saying two different things.  First of all, they are NOT our players, they are unrestricted.  The reason we have a shot (albeit small shot) at DH is because KG, RA and JON come off the books.  If you sign them, they go back on the books.

Now, a RESTRICTED free agent, can be signed, or matched by the team he is on - like Davis was two years ago.  They go out and get offers, and if the team wants them back, they can go over the cap to sign them.  It's the Larry Bird rule, which allows teams to keep younger players longer, rather than losing them.  But once a guy is unrestricted, he can sign with whomever he'd like!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

Then how do you sign other players when your over the cap....

Sign and trades, although you make a good point that if the Celtics re-sign everybody, they wouldn't have the cap room for Howard and Mayo. The cap room is only created by the assumption of not re-signing all those free agents at similar dollars. That being said, they wouldn't be brought back at the same salaries.

After a trade for Kaman, and retaining him at his current salary, the Celtics would still have ~$35 million in expiring contracts between Garnett, Allen, Wilcox, and Pietrus. The new maximum salary is about $18 million. Give that to Howard and there's still $17 million left. Every team, regardless of the cap situation, gets to sign one player for $3 million and another player for about $1.5 million, plus as many minimum wagers as necessary. There are also rookie exceptions. I'm guessing Wilcox would be satisfied with the same $3 million and Pietrus with a minimum salary deal. That leaves $14 million for Garnett, Allen, and Mayo. Green is a restricted free agent, so keeping him won't be an issue. It'll probably take $8 million, at least, to sign Mayo, which means splitting the remaining $6 million between Garnett and Allen. Would they come back on short dollars if it meant likely winning another championship? Maybe. We'll probably find out this off-season.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Kaman Worth A 1st round pick? : Then how do you sign other players when your over the cap....
    Posted by tompenny[/QUOTE]

1.  If you are over the cap you have the MLE (about 6 mill) and the vet min (unlimited)
    2.  If you are over the LUXURY tax, you have the mini-MLE (Wilcox) of about 3 mill.
    3.  You can sign unlimited players to a veteran minimum contract

Other than that, you can sign your RFA's (you own) to a contract, but cannot sign any UFA's!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Kaman Worth A 1st round pick? : The Celts would have to trade JO, Dooling, Stiemsma, Daniels, Moore, and Sasha to make the salaries match.
    Posted by Fiercest34[/QUOTE]

At one time I would have been happy to let Ray Allen go for Kaman but now I feel that " emptying trash " with the players you mention would be a good way to acquire him. No, I would not give a 1st round pick, maybe a 3rd rounder. Although he's 7 feet and would give us I think he averages about 10 PPG and 8 rebounds, I'd like to know how many rebounds he can put in under the basket i.e DUNK !!! To me , he is a taller Bass which ain't bad and really prefers jumps shots like KG. Yes, he'd help our team but he's not the Center/Banger I would love like DH but who is ? I'd love to find someone like Wilcox but 2-3 inches taller---is there one in the draft if we can't get DW ? I reiterate, get Kaman with some or all the players you suggest but nothing else !

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

[QUOTE]Then how do you sign other players when your over the cap.... Sign and trades, although you make a good point that if the Celtics re-sign everybody, they wouldn't have the cap room for Howard and Mayo. The cap room is only created by the assumption of not re-signing all those free agents at similar dollars. That being said, they wouldn't be brought back at the same salaries. After a trade for Kaman, and retaining him at his current salary, the Celtics would still have ~$35 million in expiring contracts between Garnett, Allen, Wilcox, and Pietrus. The new maximum salary is about $18 million. Give that to Howard and there's still $17 million left. Every team, regardless of the cap situation, gets to sign one player for $3 million and another player for about $1.5 million, plus as many minimum wagers as necessary. There are also rookie exceptions. I'm guessing Wilcox would be satisfied with the same $3 million and Pietrus with a minimum salary deal. That leaves $14 million for Garnett, Allen, and Mayo. Green is a restricted free agent, so keeping him won't be an issue. It'll probably take $8 million, at least, to sign Mayo, which means splitting the remaining $6 million between Garnett and Allen. Would they come back on short dollars if it meant likely winning another championship? Maybe. We'll probably find out this off-season.

Jeff Green is unrestricted!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rebels345209. Show Rebels345209's posts

You can go over the cap to sign your own guys provided you have bird rights. But if your over the cap you can't go get Dwight Howard or Eric Gordon (examples)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Accension13. Show Accension13's posts

Out of all the options being discussed as potential trade targets for the C's, I am starting to think that Beasley and Kaman maybe the best most realistic targets. Unless Danny can pull off something that brings in a true star talent, I think both of these guys are worth 1st rounders.

Kaman could easily adapt to C's system and improve their rebounding. Beasley could improve C's depth and athleticism. Additionally he could provide instant O for the second team. I think it would be wise to either use Beasley as a spot starter that could allow KG, Pierce, and Garnett to get a few days off between now and the end of the season or insert him into the lineup as the starter at SF. Ray would be the sixth man.

The primary lineup would be:

PG - Rondo
    SG - Pierce
    SF - Beasley
    PF - Garnett
    C - Kaman

Ray 6th man. I know Pierce is not a two, but I dont think you lose much (compared to Ray) defensively or ball-handling wise moving him to the 2

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

[QUOTE]Out of all the options being discussed as potential trade targets for the C's, I am starting to think that Beasley and Kaman maybe the best most realistic targets. Unless Danny can pull off something that brings in a true star talent, I think both of these guys are worth 1st rounders. Kaman could easily adapt to C's system and improve their rebounding. Beasley could improve C's depth and athleticism. Additionally he could provide instant O for the second team. I think it would be wise to either use Beasley as a spot starter that could allow KG, Pierce, and Garnett to get a few days off between now and the end of the season or insert him into the lineup as the starter at SF. Ray would be the sixth man. The primary lineup would be: PG - Rondo SG - Pierce SF - Beasley PF - Garnett C - Kaman Ray 6th man. I know Pierce is not a two, but I dont think you lose much (compared to Ray) defensively or ball-handling wise moving him to the 2
    Posted by Accension13[/QUOTE]

I like Ray as 6th man also.  My tweak would be:
    Rondo
    Pietrus
    Pierce
    KG
    Kaman

Ray, Bass and Beasley off the bench is really a very good top 8!  Thow in Wilcox and Bradley, and we're good to go!!

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Kaman Worth A 1st round pick? : Thinking a bag of leftovers will get it done is very creative indeed ... like none of the other teams have better leftovers?
    Posted by Mployee8[/QUOTE]

no disrespect to kaman, but werent people saying the same things about troy murphy last year? shaq and jermaine o'neal were suppost to be the bigs to put us over the top and they were frauds.....whos to say kaman wouldnt be the same? if they want young athletic players to go after rebounds then get beasley or josh smith

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Kaman Worth A 1st round pick? : Last year Murphy was stuck on the Nets bench. Kaman is a starter averaging 12.2 ppg, 7.9 rpg, and 1.3 bpg this season. 

hes an ok player on a crap team.....maybe a decent rental, but nothing more than a sandwhich and a diet coke for him...

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Kaman Worth A 1st round pick? : This is an example of ignorance. Kaman played 108 games the last two seasons preceding the current season. That's why the wingnut mployee has no credibility, he's a serial liar.

which is an average of 54 games per year......thats not that far off from 60

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.