Kelly Olynyk to Boston

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from cabutan. Show cabutan's posts

Re: Kelly Olynyk to Boston

This reminds me of last years draft where many on board wanted every single player except Jared Sullinger..and then, Jared Shows up!!!!... Olynyk should have been among the first 11 top players in this draft and he fell 13. Not bad...On a weak draft, you cant expect great players..

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 003323344. Show 003323344's posts

In response to cole-ely's comment:

My only concern is that we may have been able to him at 16.

they only gave up 2 second rounders to find out.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 003323344. Show 003323344's posts

In response to cabutan's comment:

This reminds me of last years draft where many on board wanted every single player except Jared Sullinger..and then, Jared Shows up!!!!... Olynyk should have been among the first 11 top players in this draft and he fell 13. Not bad...On a weak draft, you cant expect great players..

+1

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from guyfromtex. Show guyfromtex's posts

Shabazz was expected to be a top 5 pick. Just saying...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrCricket. Show MrCricket's posts

considering zeller went #4, i'm not upset with olynyk at 13. i'd prefer the potential of giannis, but oly should be a solid long term big man, hopefully.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hops29. Show hops29's posts

No slack. Ugly game, ugly pick.  We now have 4 bigs that are undersized, soft, and or unathletic. Olynyk, Bass, Sully, and now Humphries.  Expect to see ALOT of Celtic shots ending up in the 4th row.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MikeRizzuto. Show MikeRizzuto's posts

In response to Fierce34's comment:

In response to hops29's comment:

No slack. Ugly game, ugly pick.  We now have 4 bigs that are undersized, soft, and or unathletic. Olynyk, Bass, Sully, and now Humphries.  Expect to see ALOT of Celtic shots ending up in the 4th row.

Which could also mean the Celtic shot of getting Andrew Wiggins increases by the day.

I like the pick. A big that can shoot from outside, drive to the bucket and finish with thunderous dunks! A lot of you will have egg on your face for dissing Olynyk this early without giving him a chance. As for those undersized, athletic wing players we have drafted that couldn't shoot a lick, Olynyk should be much, much better and actually help us rebuild a lot quicker!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from cabutan. Show cabutan's posts

In response to MikeRizzuto's comment:

Which could also mean the Celtic shot of getting Andrew Wiggins increases by the day.

I like the pick. A big that can shoot from outside, drive to the bucket and finish with thunderous dunks! A lot of you will have egg on your face for dissing Olynyk this early without giving him a chance. As for those undersized, athletic wing players we have drafted that couldn't shoot a lick, Olynyk should be much, much better and actually help us rebuild a lot quicker!

+1

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrmccook. Show jrmccook's posts

In response to MikeRizzuto's comment:

+1

Correct me if i'm wrong, but I read somewhere that he led all college players in PER last year. For the 13th pick, that's value. From everything i've read and seen on him, he seems like a solid player who can space the floor and shoot. He'll be a tall 4 in the league. Put me down as thinking he'll do ok.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from gman101019. Show gman101019's posts

So you pass on better talent to you increase your chances of wiggins? DA always takes bpa.  Tanking hardly works and never if your the celtics, (missed out on both tim duncan and Durant) 

Olynyk must have been high on their board, to give up 2 2nds just to move up 3 spots. He  should be a good fit. He provides size and shooting. We need both. 

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrmccook. Show jrmccook's posts

In response to APpats21's comment:

In response to jrmccook's comment:

Correct me if i'm wrong, but I read somewhere that he led all college players in PER last year. For the 13th pick, that's value. From everything i've read and seen on him, he seems like a solid player who can space the floor and shoot. He'll be a tall 4 in the league. Put me down as thinking he'll do ok.

[/QUOTE]

I think he was actually 3rd in PER but thats still pretty good value right there.

[/QUOTE]

He was 1st.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/kelly-olynyk-1.html

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrBoogiebone. Show DrBoogiebone's posts

Why are you guys so tic'd off about the Olynyk deal? Three picks for the 13th pick? Ainge didn't wanna gamble on anyone taking Kelly after Adams was picked, I'ld be willing to bet. So he went to plan B and traded two second round picks and our 16th for the 13th pick to grab Kelly before someone else could.

The way I see it... we have (at least) 2 1st round picks for years to come... Why do we need 2nd rounders. 2nd round picks mean nothing to us since the Nets deal. So all I see is us getting the 13th pick for the 16th pick. What's wrong with that?

I don't like the Olynyk pick either. I prefer defensive-minded/rim-protecting centers. But I'm not calling for DA's head or even willing to call the pick absolutely horrible yet. The guy hasn't even played a professional game yet for crying out loud! I'm not saying you guys are wrong about him. I'm just saying you have to give the guy a chance at least.

One of the things I remember Ainge stating when he was 1st making draft picks for us back in the day was, It's easier to teach an offensive player defense, then to teach a defensive player offense. I think that holds true to this pick. Time will tell.

Take it easy people...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

In response to gman101019's comment:

So you pass on better talent to you increase your chances of wiggins? DA always takes bpa.  Tanking hardly works and never if your the celtics, (missed out on both tim duncan and Durant) 

Olynyk must have been high on their board, to give up 2 2nds just to move up 3 spots. He  should be a good fit. He provides size and shooting. We need both. 

I think that Danny has an interesting drafting philosophy.  The player must have some unique dimension.  The more dimensions, the better.  Sullinger was a no-brainer.  IQ, rebounding, scoring.  Melo has length and mobility.  Rondo had a unique sense.  JJJ had the size and mobility combination.  AB had the defensive skills.  Baby had the read/reaction combo.

Olynyk has unique scoring ability.  His team was ranked #1 in the country and they had a very weak guard core.

Some of these pan out, some don't.  Tommy Heinsohn had once mentioned that the most important requirement for the rookies is to believe that they belong.  The ones that believe, pan out.  Others fall by the way side.  If Olynyk can believe and build on what he is, he can become a very special player.  Or, he can get swallowed by his defensive liabilities and be a nobody.

Who would have been a better pick, a pick with better potential to be special in some manner?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

So many people on this thread act like the draft is some kind of certainty. 

Maybe ten percent of picks are locks and maybe 10 percent are horrible. 

The rest are dice rolls. 

Danny is better at evaluating young NBA talent than you are, sorry. 

He's not good at trading veteran players, I'll give you that. But for spotting developing players, he's good, that's his strength. 

Doesn't mean he will hit on every pick. 

You have to wait 2-3 years to evaluate a draft, period. 

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bangkoker. Show bangkoker's posts

In response to Ortiz123's comment:

Lets keep track of this kid vs Shabazz for future reference......

Agree I want to be wrong that we should pick Shabazz!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from theshinez. Show theshinez's posts

This pick IMO is terrible!   Olynyk) is Anderson Verejao with no defense, no hustle, and no strength.  We should have picked up a pg, or sg.  OR....anyone who can play a little defense.  What good is a 7-foot Center if he can't rebound, defend, or even protect the rim? 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrBoogiebone. Show DrBoogiebone's posts

In response to Mployee8's comment:

In response to DrBoogiebone's comment:

Why are you guys so tic'd off about the Olynyk deal? Three picks for the 13th pick? Ainge didn't wanna gamble on anyone taking Kelly after Adams was picked, I'ld be willing to bet. So he went to plan B and traded two second round picks and our 16th for the 13th pick to grab Kelly before someone else could.

The way I see it... we have (at least) 2 1st round picks for years to come... Why do we need 2nd rounders. 2nd round picks mean nothing to us since the Nets deal. So all I see is us getting the 13th pick for the 16th pick. What's wrong with that?

I don't like the Olynyk pick either. I prefer defensive-minded/rim-protecting centers. But I'm not calling for DA's head or even willing to call the pick absolutely horrible yet. The guy hasn't even played a professional game yet for crying out loud! I'm not saying you guys are wrong about him. I'm just saying you have to give the guy a chance at least.

One of the things I remember Ainge stating when he was 1st making draft picks for us back in the day was, It's easier to teach an offensive player defense, then to teach a defensive player offense. I think that holds true to this pick. Time will tell.

Take it easy people...

Fear not!  Danny has already said that he sees Olynyk at PF with Sully. Apparently he has another plan for center unless he sees Humphries as another Dave Cowens. This s/b fun as Danny has alot of horse trading to do.

I'm not fearing anything dude. It's everyone else who's going ballistic over this pick. Everyone is being extreme over this if you ask me.

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Richard1965. Show Richard1965's posts

I really think folks should give this draft a chance before they go full out arm chair critic.  This draft could pan out very well for the Celts.  This transformation isn't gonna happen overnight all.  Enough with all the negativity.....send out the positive vibes.....

Sections
Shortcuts