Kelly Olynyk to Boston

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoahJustin. Show NoahJustin's posts

Re: Kelly Olynyk to Boston

It's pretty funny how people on this board are screaming about losing 2 second round draft picks to move up. We just got ourselves 4 first rd picks because of Danny. So we just lost 2 second rd draft picks, big deal. Heck we just bought a second rd pick for just cash, so it really just cost us a single 2 rd draft pick.  And whats with all the genius saying the kids a bust or sucks without at least letting him play a season. Do they have some sort of crystal ball that can tell for sure that a kids not going to work out? 

"Do or do not, there is no try"....Yoda

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Danny sees a potential Dirk. O can play the 4 and will run with Rondo,AB and Green.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from chris33. Show chris33's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

Danny sees a potential Dirk. O can play the 4 and will run with Rondo,AB and Green.

Dirk or Eric Montross, which will it be?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Geez the moaning on this thread is tiresome...  

First of all this isn't the NFL draft where you can pick up impact players in the latter rounds, Ainge trading away seconds is nothing if he gets the player he wants.  This kid playing at power forward might be a great thing, the kid can shoot from any where on the floor, he has a good hook shot, he hits his free throws, is good on the pick and roll...

Players with upside have next to no value anymore unless you have the luxury to wait for them to develop and win in the meantime.  Time for a reality check, we weren't going to win anymore championships with Pierce and KG, we had no wiggle room with contracts.  Now we have a young team with cap space and some good pieces...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Can't belive anyone would complain about giving up 2nd rounders to move up in the 1st round.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from debrit. Show debrit's posts

In response to teejaytee70's comment:

In response to R9R's comment:

WHAT?

Well, hope I'm wrong about Olynyk.  Reminds me of Krstic.

KRSTIC WAS A VERY GOOD PLAYER.tOO BAD dOC DID NOT LIKE HIM

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from painter. Show painter's posts

In response to guyfromtex's comment:

That was a stupid stupid trade by Danny Ainge. Olynyk would most definetly have been there for Boston at 16. Gave up two 2014 2nd round picks and number 16?!! God the draft night blues continue.

+1

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from newbill. Show newbill's posts

Look, second round picks don’t mean much anymore.  They may sound great but typically don’t play that way or at all. 

Look at some of the better 2nd rounder’s of the past 20 years.  If I missed any great players please let me know.

Cliff Robinson  1989 14 points, 5 rebounds throughout his career  All Star appearances  0

Antonio Davis  1990  900 games avg. 9 points 7 rebounds, 0 all star games

Nick Van Exel  1993  12 years  1 all star game contributor to championship teams

Eric Snow 1996           0 All Star appearances

Stephen Jackson 1997  13 years, six teams, all star appearances ZERO

Rashard Lewis  1998  15 years 4 teams, 2 all star games, never lived up to expectations

Michael Redd injuries shortened his promising career

Gilbert Arenas  nuff said….

Carlos Boozer  7 season, 2 all star games, solid player

Kyle Korver  10 years, 0 all star appearances, 7 years in playoffs

Anderson Varejao  2004 good rebounder/defender.

Monta Ellis

Paul Millsap

Carl Landry

To trade a second rounder is simply not committing to a player that for the moist part will not make the team anyway.  No worth so in my mind we gave up a 16 for a 13.  Not a bad deal depending on how Olynyk turns out. 

Either way, the right thought process is there.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gasthoerer. Show Gasthoerer's posts

What about Manu Ginobili?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

The guys defense isn't nearly as bad as advertised, in the NBA he'll be moved over to power forward, stretch out defenses, hit jumpers, play the pick and roll.  He averaged over a block and a steal a game in his final college season.  

Most complainers here expect LeBron with late first round picks and it's unreasonable... Danny Ainge has one of the best eyes for talent in the NBA, I'll go with his assessment.  At least we have hope we're rebuilding again, we were in limbo with the remaining big three, not good enough to win but just good enough to tease us.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheRedStain. Show TheRedStain's posts

I think Danny did a great job of getting the #3 center in the draft, along with the #12 center - all with only the #16 pick.

2013 NBA Draft Prospect Rankings RANK PLAYER SCHOOL YEAR POSition HGT WGT 1 Nerlens Noel Kentucky Fr. C 6-10 228 2 Alex Len Maryland Soph. C 7-1 225 3 Kelly Olynyk Gonzaga Jr. C 7-0 238 4 Steven Adams Pittsburgh Fr. C 7-0 250 5 Mason Plumlee Duke Sr. C 6-10 235 6 Gorgui Dieng Louisville Jr. C 6-11 245 7 Rudy Gobert France - C 7-0 230 8 Jeff Withey Kansas Sr. C 7-0 235 9 Lucas Nogueira Brazil - C 6-11 215 10 Mike Muscala Bucknell Sr. C 6-11 234 11 Mouhammadou Jaiteh France - C 6-11 249 12 Colton Iverson Colorado State Sr. C 6-10 261

'Stain

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from guyfromtex. Show guyfromtex's posts

In response to chris33's comment:

In response to guyfromtex's comment:

The kid can score. I'll give him that. He does have the potential to make us all eat crow.

His moves are slow as Christmas. He will get eaten alive in the NBA.

I can't believe Ainge blew this so bad.

I was trying to convince myself that it wasn't a bad pick. Olynyk can't defend or rebound. Imagine. A 7 footer that can't rebound?!!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from guyfromtex. Show guyfromtex's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

The guys defense isn't nearly as bad as advertised, in the NBA he'll be moved over to power forward, stretch out defenses, hit jumpers, play the pick and roll.  He averaged over a block a game in his final college season.  

Most complainers here expect LeBron with late first round picks and it's unreasonable... Danny Ainge has one of the best eyes for talent in the NBA, I'll go with his assessment.  At least we have hope we're rebuilding again, we were in limbo with the remaining big three, not good enough to win but just good enough to tease us.

The PF position is better suited for Olynyk, he is just not athletic enough to keep up with an NBA PF. I really like Iverson. Strange, Danny Ainge is much better at picking 2nd rounders than 1st.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

I love reviving threads like this, months, even years from now just to remind all the lazy boy recliner talent evaluators why they don't work in the NBA...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

So should I bump this thread after every solid game or just wait for the end of the year to remind people why Ainge is one of the better talent evaluators in the NBA and knows more than you?

Of course on the newer threads most of the back peddling has begun already but I do enjoy the process... 

This kid needs to learn how not to turn the ball over as much, beyond that he is a solid player.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from cabutan. Show cabutan's posts

So should I bump this thread after every solid game or just wait for the end of the year to remind people why Ainge is one of the better talent evaluators in the NBA and knows more than you?

Of course on the newer threads most of the back peddling has begun already but I do enjoy the process... 

This kid needs to learn how not to turn the ball over as much, beyond that he is a solid player.

+1 I agree..DA is to me the best out there..

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

I love reviving threads like this, months, even years from now just to remind all the lazy boy recliner talent evaluators why they don't work in the NBA...

+1.

At the risk of embarrassing myself, is that Rocky Marciano?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to LloydDobler's comment:

At the risk of embarrassing myself, is that Rocky Marciano?

Yes

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Final line for Olynyk in Summer League play; 20 ppg, shot 57% from the floor, showed his three point range, got 8 boards (3 offensive), 3 assists, over two steals and a block a game...  again, does anyone want to recant their previous criticism of the Olynyk pick because he has easily been the most impressive rookie so far?   Also Colton Iverson was also pretty impressive considering he only played 17 minutes, averaged 5 boards and a steal and block per game as well as showed hustle and a physicality that we will need going forward.   Phil Pressy made the team as far as I'm concerned; 23 minutes per game, 10 points on 46% shooting, 91% on free throws, 6 assists and over two steals per game.  Has to not turn the ball over as much but that can be said about all rookies...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

Hey - for sure I was wrong thus far about Olynyk. I thought it was a horrible trade, but look at that stat line and consider:

Houston Rockets: Congrats to @TerrenceJones1 on his selection to Orlando All-Summer League First Team with Drummond, Oladipo, Lamb & Olynyk Twitter

Read more at http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm#4e6dFKkSzsXzBkPa.99       Pretty impressive that he makes the Orlando all-summer league with these guys.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

If you're referring to me dude, I do not pretend to know more than the guys behind the scenes in the NBA. All I can do is compare my opinions with other amateur fans, the media and what I see on the court.

I think we all wanted a big physical shot blocking Center and Kelly is none of that. However, we seemed to miss from the scouting that he has a lot of valuable other skills. He'll be a solid stretch 4 who's also 7 foot. Though, still want to see him try and guard some NBA 4's & 5's first. Hopefully he can go against BB in practice because Brandons got to be one of the quicker, more athletic 4s in the game.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

If you're referring to me dude, I do not pretend to know more than the guys behind the scenes in the NBA. All I can do is compare my opinions with other amateur fans, the media and what I see on the court.

I think we all wanted a big physical shot blocking Center and Kelly is none of that. However, we seemed to miss from the scouting that he has a lot of valuable other skills. He'll be a solid stretch 4 who's also 7 foot. Though, still want to see him try and guard some NBA 4's & 5's first. Hopefully he can go against BB in practice because Brandons got to be one of the quicker, more athletic 4s in the game.

Nice to hear you say that you were wrong, R9R. It certainly is becomming a trend here. KO is the Celtics next HUGE star if he stays healthy. You seem to be too young to have a real historical reference, but I, as I'm sure many, if not the majority here will agree, cannot remember a more skilled 7-footer coming out of college in the last 40-years. He has great court vision, adept passing skills, puts the ball on the floor and moves like most NBA 2-3s, and has a pure jumper. KO isn't a "CENTER". He is Dirk 2.0. How can I be so sure? Because I've watched the NBA for 40-plus seasons, and am a former athlete who has played at a very high level too which should give me a pretty good understanding as to what it takes to succeed. As such, I have a pretty keen ability to recognize "IT" when I see "IT". Those of you paying attention to summer league will likely agree that Fells is gonna be a relevant baller for somebody too, if not the C's. R9R, unless you just don't like "white boys" being on the squad, get your man crush ready and order your Fathead while you can! KO is your next favorite player. Aren't you the one who is always crying, "that's racist"? Well, before you get started, I'm not white either! So please don't use that weak azz card on me. True racisct on these boards are, the ones who use it all the time. I know because I've been around long enough to understand that topic too. In time you will too, Grasshopper, in time.  OOOOps! You're too young to understand that reference too, I bet!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevekubersky. Show stevekubersky's posts

I'm sure there are still some closet doubters out there regarding KO. After all, this is only the summer league. They'll come out of the wood works when he experiences his first slump sometime in the regular season (as all players do). As soon as he comes out of it, they'll lay low again.

Such is life in the Wagon called the Band.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

I think we all wanted a big physical shot blocking Center and Kelly is none of that.

That guy wasn't there where we picked in this draft, the NBA more than any other sport you take the best player available rather than reaching for a position of need.

And I wasn't referring to you directly, merely pointing out how funny it is that the same people saying Olynyk was "a stiff, slow footed, can't play," and calling for Ainge to be fired are now comparing Oly to Dirk and starting new threads about him.

Sections
Shortcuts