Kendrick Perkins

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

Kendrick Perkins

Kendrick Perkins working to have some semblance of an offensive game

Aug 12, 2013, 11:11 AM EDT

Kendrick PerkinsAP

Last season, other teams largely would ignoreKendrick Perkins on the offensive end. The Thunder would try to get him going pretty much every night, throwing the ball to him in the post on the first couple trips down the court, getting him some touches before letting Kevin Durant andRussell Westbrook take over.

How did it work? Perkins shot a career low 45.7 percent and his PER of 8.2 was the lowest in the NBA of anyone getting 25 minutes a game or more. The Thunder’s starting five was +10.6 per 48 minutes when he was on the court last season. Take out Perkins and replace him in that same lineup with Hasheem Thabeet and the Thunder were +19.3 per 48 minutes.

The Thunder didn’t amnesty Perkins this summer, but they need to do something to have more out of him on offense, and he told the Oklahoman he was working on that.

-------------------------------

This article doesn't even get into how many passes were lost off his stone hands.  I was NEVER a Perkins fan and was overjoyed when Danny traded him.  I find that most fans who defended Perkins and protested his trade also support Rondo.  Just an observation.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

Re: Kendrick Perkins

In response to Eldunker's comment:

Kurt Helin

29 Comments Kendrick PerkinsAP

Last season, other teams largely would ignoreKendrick Perkins on the offensive end. The Thunder would try to get him going pretty much every night, throwing the ball to him in the post on the first couple trips down the court, getting him some touches before letting Kevin Durant andRussell Westbrook take over.

How did it work? Perkins shot a career low 45.7 percent and his PER of 8.2 was the lowest in the NBA of anyone getting 25 minutes a game or more. The Thunder’s starting five was +10.6 per 48 minutes when he was on the court last season. Take out Perkins and replace him in that same lineup with Hasheem Thabeet and the Thunder were +19.3 per 48 minutes.

The Thunder didn’t amnesty Perkins this summer, but they need to do something to have more out of him on offense, and he told the Oklahoman he was working on that.

This article doesn't even get into how many passes were lost off his stone hands.  I was NEVER a Perkins fan and was overjoyed when Danny traded him.  I find that most fans who defended Perkins and protested his trade also support Rondo.  Just an observation.

In other words Rondo supporters are clueless.  Whatever!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheBigTicket05. Show TheBigTicket05's posts

Kurt Helin

29 Comments Kendrick PerkinsAP

agree! 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

I think Perk is a lost cause in OKC...

What does puzzle me is one or two seasons after we won the title (cant recall which), Perk started putting together an offensive game..

Had developed a few decent post moves and I remember saying to myself how hard its gonna be for any team to beat us....now that we have a post presence..  What happened???

Perk completely lost it,,, hard to explain or understand but the guy truly seems to have become worse with each new season.

Regarding the trade, I thought DA did the right thing cause perk was going to be a FA anyway at the end of the season. We got JG in return and what a steal for the C's thats looking like now.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheBigTicket05. Show TheBigTicket05's posts

In response to Karllost's comment:

What does puzzle me is one or two seasons after we won the title (cant recall which), Perk started putting together an offensive game..

Had developed a few decent post moves and I remember saying to myself how hard its gonna be for any team to beat us....now that we have a post presence..  What happened???

Perk completely lost it,,, hard to explain or understand but the guy truly seems to have become worse with each new season.

Regarding the trade, I thought DA did the right thing cause perk was going to be a FA anyway at the end of the season. We got JG in return and what a steal for the C's thats looking like now.

steal of the decade! 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaCeltics. Show DaCeltics's posts

All players suffer, especially big men, when your starting PG is a ball hog.(Westbrook)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

Go PERK!! He gone win the quadruple crown this year

2013 MVP!

2013 Most Improved!

2013 Defensive Player of the Year!

2013 Scoring Title!

All he needs is a REAL super-star PG, like Rondo. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from johconn. Show johconn's posts

he fit perfectly into the Cs system and had KG chewing at him every second. Perkins played the book, tired out the opposite big man and took out the garbage. He could be scary good on occasion and did improve his shot but the guy over-achieved and never was a consistent threat. Credit to him for working hard and getting a ring though. I remember being pretty shocked at how people went crazy over his trade since (a) his conditioning had fallen off because of injury and (b) he would have walked with the C's salary commitments at the end of the season. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

Perk did what he was brought to do, which was to man the interior against gasol and bynum.  He was a 1-2 year gamble.  He did his job, but they didn't win a championship.  Now he's a backup quality center.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from VeniceSox. Show VeniceSox's posts

In response to cole-ely's comment:

Perk did what he was brought to do, which was to man the interior against gasol and bynum.  He was a 1-2 year gamble.  He did his job, but they didn't win a championship.  Now he's a backup quality center.

I would agree if you take out the word quality.... Perkins is completely lost in the OKC system...he has absolutely no skills except trying to bully people and when he slimmed down even that was gone...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

In response to Karllost's comment:

perkins was a player who had zero margin for error.  remember now that he had those recurring and apparently un-solvable shoulder problems when he played for us.  at his best, perkins was a lumbering clod who could hit an overly mechanical short jump hook from in close and an occasional face up set shot from 4-8 feet. 

we saw the BEST perkins ever had to offer for about a half season- i remember it well- i was even a little bit excited about him- through about half a season he was averaging 12.8 pts a game, respectable and 9.X rebounds.  then he proceeded to go way downhill in the second half of the season offensively and tailed off on rebounds but remained a good bang 'em up guy.

now that he's blown out a knee, perkins' margin of error is closed.  i give him a lot of credit for trying hard- he got the big contract from OKC, lost a lot of weight by all acounts and came into camp at 260-270 but he still stank.  you're talking about a guy with limited coordination to begin with who no longer has 100% knee mobility or shoulders.  it is what it is.

and i cannot believe that OKC did not amnesty the dead body of perkins.  he did less than nothing for them as evidenced by the difference of +9 when he's not on the floor.  if perk isn't an idiot with his money he should be able to have a great life, that's the good news for him.  and for a time he was an important piece of what we were doing here.  thank GOD we got rid of him when we did.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

Melo reminded me of Perk. They were both similar in their early year(s) with the Celtics.  Maybe Danny thought it wasn't worth paying Melo's $1.3M for another year in D League and still not be ready to join the NBA.  and in 3 years and $4M later, he would add minimual value as a backup.   Perk only had value when there were 4 other All Stars on the court.  Other than that the dude couldn't rebound, catch a pass, or make a layup.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Melo reminded me of Perk. They were both similar in their early year(s) with the Celtics.  Maybe Danny thought it wasn't worth paying Melo's $1.3M for another year in D League and still not be ready to join the NBA.  and in 3 years and $4M later, he would add minimual value as a backup.   Perk only had value when there were 4 other All Stars on the court.  Other than that the dude couldn't rebound, catch a pass, or make a layup.

He was horrible.  Having been on the Celtics and now the Thunder Perkins has no idea how bad he is being elevated by the players around him. He is clueless.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

In response to Mployee8's comment:

That's two guys we dumped just in time ... Perk and Big Baby !!!

how did we dump big baby just in time?  just in time for him to keep improving (in PER performance in points, rebounds, and overall maturity, leadership, continuing to expand his game?  and just in time for bass to come in and underachieve for us- proof positive that doc rivers not only doesn't know how to coach young bigs but doesn't care a thing about them.  that's just doc.

you serious with the quip or what?! 

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.