Kevin Love vs. Building Through the Draft

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

Kevin Love vs. Building Through the Draft

With the recent news that the Celtics are apparently leaders in the KLove race, I really think this is a good thing.

Now the report says something like 4 firsts and Sully but I believe that is too much. I say a good deal is 3 firsts (#6, #17 or Clips '15 if we can, and 2016 BKN), Sully and Gerald Wallace. I would like that deal.

Once you get Love in here, you have a starting point. Obviously he's not going to make this team a 55-win #3 seed in the East but he could easily make us a #5-8 seed in the playoffs. Just resign Love and Rondo and that's a starting point.

From there you will be able to eventually trade for or attract other solid role players.

Why do I like this route instead of drafting? Well, at #6 what exactly can we get? Smart, Randle or Gordon? I believe they could all be very solid NBA players but I doubt that they turn into studs. #17 pick is a crapshoot.

Lets take a look at #6 pick over the last few years:

• 2013: Nerlens Noel

• 2012: Damian Lillard

• 2011: Jan Veesley

• 2010: Ekpe Udoh

• 2009: Johnny Flynn

• 2008: Danilo Gallinari

• 2007: Yi Jianlian

• 2006: Brandon Roy

#17 over the years:

• 2013: Dennis Schroeder

• 2012: Tyler Zeller

• 2011: Iman Shumpert

• 2010: Kevin Seraphin

• 2009: Jrue Holiday

• 2008: Roy Hibbert

• 2007: Sean Williams

• 2006: Shawne Williams

so, actually the #17 pick has been more productive over the years. once you get outside the top 5, it's a crap shoot. Look at the Spurs, they have Tim Duncan, then a ton of late 1sts that struck gold in Manu, Parker, and Kawhi. That's the only team.

Look at the Pacers. It took them YEARS to finally get competitive building through the draft and of course their year, they implode.

I would rather take the chances of getting KLove and trying to keep wheeling and dealing to improve than draft a kid at #6 wait a couple years to develop and turns out he's a bust and we're set back even further.

I would rather let DA do what he's really good at: trading. not drafting. DA can build a team through wheeling and dealing.

The NBA draft is nothing. the top 3 is always locks to be good but outside of that, its a crap shoot as to who produces. The whole assets of draft picks is overrated and hopefully other team's GMs love them so we can fleece them and build something.

Check out my Pats/Sports Blog: http://joepatsfan.blogspot.com/

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

Re: Kevin Love vs. Building Through the Draft

In response to Fiercy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Kevin Love to Boston only works if the Celts get another star player.

Rondo and Love can't take the Celts to the Finals.

[/QUOTE]

Obviously not. I said that its a very good starting point though. Rondo and Love is better than a bunch of unknown draft 'assets'

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaktug. Show kaktug's posts

In response to Mployee8's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Are you really a Celtics Fan or just some Debby Downer Troll?

[/QUOTE]

debby downer. lol that's about right. there are more than a few debby downers on this board. they scream about what we shouldn't do. and seldom offer alternative plans to success.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from CelticGreenLP. Show CelticGreenLP's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The alternative is what? Tanking until you get a once in a generation type player?  

If Kevin Love didn't end up here I wouldn't be crushed because I like a lot of the guys in this draft, but I still believe DA has a better chance of building a serious contender around Rondo and Love than he does of finding the next Duncan in the draft over the next 5 years or longer. 

I don't believe any prospect currently on the roster or available at #6 has a shot at being nearly as good as K.Love.  And I find it encouraging that Danny obviously doesn't want to waste our time emulating how the Cavs, Bucks, and Hornets have been operating for the last 10+ years.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaCeltics. Show DaCeltics's posts

This draft is solid. It has been a long long time since we have had such a deep draft. This is the type of draft where you go young and develop for the long term health of your franchise.

That's what the Spurs would do. They wouldn't trade for Love. In fact, they are not even interested even when their PF is ready to retire!!!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from CubanPete. Show CubanPete's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Rondo would be a detriment.

Love can pass as well as Diaw and anyone who watched the Finals knows how effective good ball movement and team offense can be. Rondo wants to the offense to flow throw him, otherwise his gaudy assist numbers would plummet.

...the King of the Rumba Beat...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from scubber. Show scubber's posts

It is not either or.  If we don't get Love and use our picks this draft, we still have 8 or more 1st round picks for the next 4 years after.  Our salary cap situation should be very good and we could still trade for or acquire other outstanding players in the future.  What Ainge has done with the Nets really gave us some good options here but it has only been one year since the rebuilding started.  It is not the end of the world if we can't get Love, this does not at all look like what the Bucs, Cavs, Hornets have done over the years situation.

If Love is not here next year, it will likely not be because we don't want him or have enough to trade for him, it is more likely because he does not want to be here.  I don't think he will be here because we don't have enough talents to entice Love or anyone yet.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from myurkus. Show myurkus's posts

You guys are fighting over a win win situation.  I have no doubt getting love would be best.  The chances of a 6 or 17 pick being as good as kevin love are incredibly low.  He immediately makes us legit, with rondo, and we can build from there.  Will we immediately win a championship?  Of course not, but we could trade 6 and 17 for LeBron and we wouldn't immediately win a championship.  If you can sign love, resign Bradley, and pick up asik, all reasonably doable things, we would immediately be the favorites to win the Atlantic, and you go from there.  However, if we don't get love we get two potentially very good draft picks and we can still try for asik, and see where things go from there.  Either way, we are on the way up, and either way the team should be fun to watch.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

I would still like a pick in this draft, but I agree that no matter who we take, they would not be as good as Kevin Love right now.

If MN wants "vets" - we have them, too.  Wallace, Hump (sign and trade), Bass and/Green.  We'd have to take another player back. and I'd like Dieng ( ha ha) or Mbah a Moute.

"Climb on my back, boys, and I'll take you home." - Cedric Maxwell

"You show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." - Red Auerbach

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." - Hedley Lamarr

If no Bynum injury, no Gasol trade - last word!!

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

In response to DaCeltics' comment:
    [QUOTE]

This draft is solid. It has been a long long time since we have had such a deep draft. This is the type of draft where you go young and develop for the long term health of your franchise.

That's what the Spurs would do. They wouldn't trade for Love. In fact, they are not even interested even when their PF is ready to retire!!!!

[/QUOTE]

Well you love the draft because according to you, everyone is bound to be an all star through the comparisons you make.

Sadly, go look at many drafts as of late and there are ALOT of misses which is why teams that are in the lotto seem to stay there for years.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from myurkus. Show myurkus's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to DaCeltics' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Well you love the draft because according to you, everyone is bound to be an all star through the comparisons you make.

Sadly, go look at many drafts as of late and there are ALOT of misses which is why teams that are in the lotto seem to stay there for years.

[/QUOTE]
    100% correct.  Print out a list of the evaluations of the top thirty, stick it somewhere and look at in like 3 years.  You will see a lot more busts than studs.  That is true with every draft.  Only in retrospect can you truly call a draft strong.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaktug. Show kaktug's posts

In response to myurkus' comment:
    [QUOTE]

You guys are fighting over a win win situation.  I have no doubt getting love would be best.  The chances of a 6 or 17 pick being as good as kevin love are incredibly low.  He immediately makes us legit, with rondo, and we can build from there.  Will we immediately win a championship?  Of course not, but we could trade 6 and 17 for LeBron and we wouldn't immediately win a championship.  If you can sign love, resign Bradley, and pick up asik, all reasonably doable things, we would immediately be the favorites to win the Atlantic, and you go from there.  However, if we don't get love we get two potentially very good draft picks and we can still try for asik, and see where things go from there.  Either way, we are on the way up, and either way the team should be fun to watch.

[/QUOTE]

i agree. i'm nearly equally excited about plan A (love) as i am about plan B (the draft). a rebuild centered around love and rondo will be quicker, while a rebuild powered by the draft will take longer and may never bear fruit. if we go plan B, i see no reason to go after asik and i think we'll deal rondo and whoever else we can get rid of. either way, though, it'll have to be better (more entertaining) than last season was. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from myurkus. Show myurkus's posts

In response to kaktug's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to myurkus' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

i agree. i'm nearly equally excited about plan A (love) as i am about plan B (the draft). a rebuild centered around love and rondo will be quicker, while a rebuild powered by the draft will take longer and may never bear fruit. if we go plan B, i see no reason to go after asik and i think we'll deal rondo and whoever else we can get rid of. either way, though, it'll have to be better (more entertaining) than last season was. 

[/QUOTE]

sure.  I hear ya.  If we deal rondo, I really want smart.  The more I hear about his workouts, I think he might be awesome in the nba.  He is so big and strong as compared to most guards, he may dominate physically.  He was great at OSU, and he is still very young, and you know he is going to give you 100% every nite.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

I like Love a lot. The question is, how much do you give up to get him.  I would rather give mostly players we have and conserve draft picks. Of course if we draft like idiots then it makes no difference.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

In response to CubanPete's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Love can pass as well as Diaw and anyone who watched the Finals knows how effective good ball movement and team offense can be. Rondo wants to the offense to flow throw him, otherwise his gaudy assist numbers would plummet.

[/QUOTE]

Rondo IS a detriment...he's a legend in his own mind. Time to get rid of Wee Devilman PG if we can fins a sucker GM to take him for something worthwhile.

It's more likely that we NOT get Love  and that we end up trading Rondon't on draft night.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from CelticGreenLP. Show CelticGreenLP's posts

In response to mellymel3's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to CubanPete's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Rondo IS a detriment...he's a legend in his own mind. Time to get rid of Wee Devilman PG if we can fins a sucker GM to take him for something worthwhile.

It's more likely that we NOT get Love  and that we end up trading Rondon't on draft night.

[/QUOTE]

I'd be happy with either scenario. I just couldn't handle a middle of the road approach where we keep the picks and Rondo, and try to get mid level non-allstars to fill the gaps. Getting guys like Monroe, Hayward, Gortat ect. would be the kiss of death in any attempts to acquire real talent. The Celtics would turn into the Atlanta Hawks of the last 20+ years.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Agree

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from chris33. Show chris33's posts

Keep the picks, trade Rondo.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

In response to chris33's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Keep the picks, trade Rondo.

[/QUOTE]

I'm all for that if we do not get Love

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.