KG and Points in the Paint

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Re: KG and Points in the Paint

In Response to Re: KG and Points in the Paint:
    In Response to Re: KG and Points in the Paint : If the Celtics are stuck with a jump shooting KG then why are you expecting the Celtics to win another championship? Championships are won in the paint. The Lakers already proved that by winning back to back championships. In 2008 the Celtics won because KG and the Celtic frontline dominated the Laker frontline. Last year the Lakers beat the Celtics in the Finals because the Laker frontline dominated the Celtic frontline. It's not that hard to figure out. If KG will not step up to the challenge and he'll just be the normal KG then the Celtics are not winning another championship this season. It's called rising to the occasion. Something Larry Bird, Bill Russell, Bob Cousy, John Havlicek, and other great Celtic players do when it's winning time!
    Posted by P34

We expect to win a championship because of multiple reasons:
    1. KG is not the only member of the team.  Paul will get to the line.
    2. Ray, Paul, and KG are all good shooters and while KG may be off a game, its not likely than for an entire series all 3 players will be off.
    3. We have a great 6th man in BBD.  He brings the energy and supplements the starters.
    4. Our defense wins championships.  We don't have to score 100 points because the games will generally be in the mid 80's to mid 90's in the playoffs.  We can score that many points and we'll do it at a higher percentage than the opposition.

Please stop panicing, again.  We're not making excuses for KG.  We're just accepting KG for who he is and realizing that the Celts are a TEAM....where each person has a role and we gotta stop expecting people to change their role.  Pierce is not going to become a point guard, Ray isn't going to post up, Perk isn't going to score a lot,.......and KG isn't going to post up and get a lot of free throws.  We win with the offense we have when healthy.  Don't panic.....the Celts will be fine.   We've seen this picture before (last year) and we are fine.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jump-ball-overtime. Show Jump-ball-overtime's posts

P34,

I don't see 2008 the same way as you do. The Celtics won with Defense in 2008, the same way that they will win this year. KG and Perk dominated the paint defensively. In 2009, KG was not fully recovered, and would not play above the rim for defensive rebounds, and Perk was out for game seven.

Thirteen days ago, KG dominated Gasol again on defense, and Perk did his job as well. most of Gasols scoring happened when he was covered by Davis and Perk. They blew the Lakers out because they could stop them from scoring at a high level.

Thursday was a bad day for most of the team. Great team defense requires more effort than offense, and it requires a bench that can sub for the starters when they get tired. It requires a bench when starters get into foul trouble, and it requires a bench to take fouls on dominant opposing players. On Thursday that was impossible. Neither KG or Perk could afford to get into foul trouble, and neither could Pierce. Ray did get into foul trouble.

When healthy the Celtics can dig in defensively at the end of games, and stop other teams, including the Lakers. They did it thirteen days ago, The only thing that changed is that the bench did not exist on Thursday.

So did KG age ten years in twelve days? I don't think so. Has his style changed in twelve days? Yes, unfortunately it had to change with out credible subs for the most of the players.

Connecting Rod,

If it had happened against a good team, or at home, the Celtics would have been up for the game. They were not up for the Phoenix game. The proof that he is the quickest is that he is the only PF that can guard the quickest power forwards, and other smaller position players. When Shaq plays, he is quick enough to guard his own man and guard Shaq's as well. Why is it that the Celitcs still do a credible job on pick and role defense, most of the time, when Shaq is in the game?  Shaq is a statue on defense. The reason is that KG amaisingly compensates for Shaq.

Things will get back to normal when the bench comes back to health.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

P34, I don't see 2008 the same way as you do. The Celtics won with Defense in 2008, the same way that they will win this year. KG and Perk dominated the paint defensively. In 2009, KG was not fully recovered, and would not play above the rim for defensive rebounds, and Perk was out for game seven. Thirteen days ago, KG dominated Gasol again on defense, and Perk did his job as well. most of Gasols scoring happened when he was covered by Davis and Perk. They blew the Lakers out because they could stop them from scoring at a high level. Thursday was a bad day for most of the team. Great team defense requires more effort than offense, and it requires a bench that can sub for the starters when they get tired. It requires a bench when starters get into foul trouble, and it requires a bench to take fouls on dominant opposing players. On Thursday that was impossible. Neither KG or Perk could afford to get into foul trouble, and neither could Pierce. Ray did get into foul trouble. When healthy the Celtics can dig in defensively at the end of games, and stop other teams, including the Lakers. They did it thirteen days ago, The only thing that changed is that the bench did not exist on Thursday. So did KG age ten years in twelve days? I don't think so. Has his style changed in twelve days? Yes, unfortunately it had to change with out credible subs for the most of the players. Connecting Rod, If it had happened against a good team, or at home, the Celtics would have been up for the game. They were not up for the Phoenix game. The proof that he is the quickest is that he is the only PF that can guard the quickest power forwards, and other smaller position players. When Shaq plays, he is quick enough to guard his own man and guard Shaq's as well. Why is it that the Celitcs still do a credible job on pick and role defense, most of the time, when Shaq is in the game?  Shaq is a statue on defense. The reason is that KG amaisingly compensates for Shaq. Things will get back to normal when the bench comes back to health.
    Posted by Jump-ball-overtime

Still making excuses, huh?

Larry Bird will just tell you to give him the damn ball and get out of his way.

Tim Duncan will not say anything, he will just get it done.

If you're expecting Paul Pierce and Ray Allen to win a ring for KG then you will be disappointed. Championships are won in the paint, Jump!

And you want KG to be the best PF in NBA history.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from paul0. Show paul0's posts

Sorry, you are all wrong and way off the mark. Here is what is going on with KG. KG is suffering from KG fatigue.  You see he is susucptible to all the criticism that has been coming his way, and he is questioning his own MO, in fact 2nd guessing himself, and in doing so he has lost some of his intensity and aggression. I hope that it's a short lived pehenom and that he will bounce back against the Heat.
    Posted by RajonRondowski

Oh boy!  You come in here all high and mighty, criticize people and you can't even spell words properly.  Also, there are other issues not worth mentioning.  Please go read you bio again.  Better yet I'll post a sample that pertains to this

"An besides, peoples picking on Rondowski's riting on dis bored is like da pot callin da kettle balck: most of the writing on the board is atrocious even though some people labor under the false impression that they write well. There are a few, a very few who write adeqauately, but even they lack any imagination."

Please, stop the nonsense. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from sinus007. Show sinus007's posts

Hi,
    Also, don't forget what KG brings to the floor that is not quantifiable: intensity, defensive presence that argueably unrivaled in the NBA, offensive presence that all opponents have to pay utmost respect, ultimate team player.

AK

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

In Response to Re: KG and Points in the Paint : Still making excuses, huh? Larry Bird will just tell you to give him the damn ball and get out of his way. Tim Duncan will not say anything, he will just get it done. If you're expecting Paul Pierce and Ray Allen to win a ring for KG then you will be disappointed. Championships are won in the paint, Jump! And you want KG to be the best PF in NBA history.
    Posted by P34

Jump-ball-overtime, that was an EXCELLENT post.  Thanks.

P34, you keep accusing people of making excuses.  You don't see anything as analysis.  Its an accurate analysis he made.  The only thing you and Bias have in common is panic.  Try to do the analysis, yourself.   

And these comments about Duncan and Bird and etc are just plain silly.  You talk as if Bird and Duncan never got their butts kicked or looked bad.  They did (as did ALL players).  Its a part of the game.  Name me a player or team that went undefeated or never had bad losses in their careers?  Just stop insulting our intelligence by bringing up the irrelevant.  Bird is my second favorite Celtic behind Russell.  I watched SOOOO many games.  There were times they got their Ashes handed to them.  Same for Duncan (who I think is the best power forward in the history of the league).  It happens.   We will be fine as we get more healthy.  Don't panic, my man.  Keep the faith.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lakerman17. Show Lakerman17's posts

Without the FORMER Laker shaq in the middle to keep Bynum/Pau honest, KG has no option but to be a spot up shooter. He's never been a banger and never will be.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

In Response to Re: KG and Points in the Paint : Jump-ball-overtime, that was an EXCELLENT post.  Thanks. P34, you keep accusing people of making excuses.  You don't see anything as analysis.  Its an accurate analysis he made.  The only thing you and Bias have in common is panic.  Try to do the analysis, yourself.    And these comments about Duncan and Bird and etc are just plain silly.  You talk as if Bird and Duncan never got their butts kicked or looked bad.  They did (as did ALL players).  Its a part of the game.  Name me a player or team that went undefeated or never had bad losses in their careers?  Just stop insulting our intelligence by bringing up the irrelevant.  Bird is my second favorite Celtic behind Russell.  I watched SOOOO many games.  There were times they got their Ashes handed to them.  Same for Duncan (who I think is the best power forward in the history of the league).  It happens.   We will be fine as we get more healthy.  Don't panic, my man.  Keep the faith.
    Posted by Celtsfan4life

It's not panic. If KG can only score 9 points and attempt 2 FTs against Eduardo Najera something is wrong! Settling for outside shots when you're a 7-footer is looking for the easy way out. Against the Lakers KG only had 2 FT attempts and 10 points. KG is a 7-footer being paid 18m per year. His performance the last 2 losses is unacceptable for a player his caliber.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

In Response to Re: KG and Points in the Paint : Jump-ball-overtime, that was an EXCELLENT post.  Thanks. P34, you keep accusing people of making excuses.  You don't see anything as analysis.  Its an accurate analysis he made.  The only thing you and Bias have in common is panic.  Try to do the analysis, yourself.    And these comments about Duncan and Bird and etc are just plain silly.  You talk as if Bird and Duncan never got their butts kicked or looked bad.  They did (as did ALL players).  Its a part of the game.  Name me a player or team that went undefeated or never had bad losses in their careers?  Just stop insulting our intelligence by bringing up the irrelevant.  Bird is my second favorite Celtic behind Russell.  I watched SOOOO many games.  There were times they got their Ashes handed to them.  Same for Duncan (who I think is the best power forward in the history of the league).  It happens.   We will be fine as we get more healthy.  Don't panic, my man.  Keep the faith.
    Posted by Celtsfan4life

Larry Bird and Tim Duncan won more than 1 championship. Something KG has yet to achieve. 

If KG will just be a spot up shooter then the Celtics are doomed. There are other ways of getting to the FT line. Driving to the basket can also get you to the FT line. Even the fat Baby gets to the FT line more than KG. 

Again, this is not panicking, this is about finding ways to win and rising to the occasion. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoraG1. Show NoraG1's posts

The best thing to do is ignore P34

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

In Response to KG and Points in the Paint:
    KG had 10 points, 8 points from jump shots and 2 points from the FT line. No matter how much KG is loved by Celtic fans it still won't change the fact that he's a jump shooting PF.  If the Celtics are going to win a championship KG needs to get it done inside the paint. 
    Posted by P34

for what it's worth, i believe we should be cultivating short-fatty davis' post game.  he showed against bynum he can score on a 7 footer.  and bosh rolled over for him tonight.  he's very crafty around the basket and manages to use the rim as a pick to shield the defender.

kg's never been a big inside guy.  let him save what he has for the playoffs and let's use davis, and perkins to a lesser extent when they have people that they can operate on.  davis should be getting 5 to 8 post looks a game minimum and he is good enough that the can develop plays off of those post ups by making good passes to others.

perkins, just give him the ball and let him grind around and get back into the swing of things and see if he has any reliable offense left in him.  maybe his hands will get better.  like the first half of 2009-10 year, that perkins was fantastic and then things went down hill.

rather than expect the unlikely from kg, let's look to the young guys on the team.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

Against the Heat today KG didn't settle for outside jumpers. That's why the Celtics won and he went to the FT line 7 times. Again, it's not about expecting the unlikely from KG, it's about being more aggressive. KG only had 1 FG outside 15 feet today. Now that's playing like a 7-footer.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

By the way, kG 4 of his 7 free throws had nothing to do with his post ups.  2 came from Wade pushing him on a flagrant foul and 2 came from getting fouled when he didn't have the ball but the Celts were in the penalty.   He shot the great shot to help us win near the end as a fadeaway.  I was happy he hit it no matter what kind of shot it was.

Acie - we've all expressed our opinion.  You won't change P34's mind.  He'll pull out the posts from 2 years ago out of context and just keep hammering his point no matter how wrong he is.   I love KG for who he is.   I'd love more inside play but that's not his game at this stage of his career, especially regular season.  So, I'll live with what we get.  I agree with you, however, that BBD is a great inside player.  he's learned when to go up and how to stop getting his shot blocked so much the way he did last year.  He often plays huge inside and I love it.

A win is a win.  Let's all be happy about it and move on from this post.  Better things to discuss than pounding the same old disagreement when we aren't going to change our positions.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

By the way, kG 4 of his 7 free throws had nothing to do with his post ups.  2 came from Wade pushing him on a flagrant foul and 2 came from getting fouled when he didn't have the ball but the Celts were in the penalty.   He shot the great shot to help us win near the end as a fadeaway.  I was happy he hit it no matter what kind of shot it was. Acie - we've all expressed our opinion.  You won't change P34's mind.  He'll pull out the posts from 2 years ago out of context and just keep hammering his point no matter how wrong he is.   I love KG for who he is.   I'd love more inside play but that's not his game at this stage of his career, especially regular season.  So, I'll live with what we get.  I agree with you, however, that BBD is a great inside player.  he's learned when to go up and how to stop getting his shot blocked so much the way he did last year.  He often plays huge inside and I love it. A win is a win.  Let's all be happy about it and move on from this post.  Better things to discuss than pounding the same old disagreement when we aren't going to change our positions.
    Posted by Celtsfan4life

You won't admit that KG was more aggressive today? KG getting 7 FT attempts is an indication of that. You say 2 of them came from being in the penalty. Well, that usually happens if you're aggressive, you get the other team in foul trouble. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

KG was so aggressive today it caused Wade to commit a flagrant foul.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Kg didn't get them in foul trouble, our whole team did, especially with some of the Heat's bonehead plays like the flagrant on Wade.

Look, man, EVERYONE - including KG - played well and aggressive.  You seem to want to have this one thing in each game.   Do you really think KG was so different?  He did the same as I expect and normally see from him.  Rondo, Perk, BBD, and Wafer all made a huge difference in this game.  Perk was likely the one who did the most of what he doesn't normally do (Finish when given the ball).   They ALL played well.  YES, YES, YES - KG was great and aggressive.   I always understand what you WANT.  But, you miss the point.  My point is that he's going to shoot outside and pass and never be in the regular season a guy who posts up low a lot and that we win because the WHOLE TEAM plays better, not just one guy.

Why am I going on with you about this.   I'll just promise everyone and myself that I'm off this thread and on to others.  I got your point and I hope you got mine and let's discuss something else.  No go ahead, get the last word in with one more post and let's move on.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jump-ball-overtime. Show Jump-ball-overtime's posts

KG has been aggressive in 99.99% of the games that he has played in. Even Kobe, who has watched him since high school, agrees that intensity is his game.
    The difference between the Laker game and the Heat game, was that the Heat do not have an effective Center, and Bosh plays smaller that the Laker seven footers. With out effective subs in the Laker game, KG could not get into foul trouble. Fear of foul trouble prevents aggressive defense and offense.

How often has anyone seen KG as a non aggressive player? Once, maybe twice?
    Some sports writers called KG a maniac PF. Only one sports writer has ever questioned his strength and toughness, and he used to work for Phil Jackson.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ConnectingRod. Show ConnectingRod's posts

KG has been aggressive in 99.99% of the games that he has played in. Even Kobe, who has watched him since high school, agrees that intensity is his game. The difference between the Laker game and the Heat game, was that the Heat do not have an effective Center, and Bosh plays smaller that the Laker seven footers. With out effective subs in the Laker game, KG could not get into foul trouble. Fear of foul trouble prevents aggressive defense and offense. How often has anyone seen KG as a non aggressive player? Once, maybe twice? Some sports writers called KG a maniac PF. Only one sports writer has ever questioned his strength and toughness, and he used to work for Phil Jackson.
    Posted by Jump-ball-overtime

That's where you are wrong! KG is 99% aggressive on the defensive end, but on offense he sometimes settles for the outside shot. Against the Bobcats he only went to the stripe twice. Same with the Lakers, KG only managed 2 foul shots against the Laker frontcourt. Your unconditional love for KG is blinding you.

Today, against the Heat, KG did not settle for outside shots. KG stepped up, played aggressively on offense and defense. And the result is a Celtics win.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from santafesino. Show santafesino's posts

All you're concerned about getting a backup to pierce or RA, but I said a while back. We need a PF that prevails in the paint, which can grab rebounds and dunk. I have no statistics but should be the team with more blocks against. and less dunks.

Sections
Shortcuts