KG and Rondo should be on the bench too

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

KG and Rondo should be on the bench too

(I posted this on the game thread of last night's game but I thought I'd start a discussion because I think it's relevant.)

I was at the Wizards game last night (albeit in a suite in section 313) and did not notice KG or Rondo on the Celtics bench.  If I'm wrong about that, I stand corrected but at no point did I see them.  I was very disappointed because they should have been on the bench.

It seemed that each time there was a timeout, Ray was the first person off the bench to provide encouragement.  There was one moment during a free throw when Ray was tutoring Wafer near the Celtics bench.  That kind of bench participation is invaluable especially at a time when developing chemistry is so paramount.  We should have had a coach and multiple "individual" tutors on the bench last night.  Whatever bit of instruction/tutoring the guys could get means so much with our struggles of late.  We needed it last night and we'll need it against New York.

Maybe it's me but this is NOT the time to be about "oneself".  I've heard that KG doesn't like sitting on the bench during games.  Well sorry KG, this just isn't about YOU.  Same for Rondo.  This is the time to be about "team" and for KG and Rondo to NOT even sit on the bench to provide guidance and encouragement to the guys on the court did not sit well with me.

There were several moments where Rondo could have calmed Bradley and/or Arroyo but he was nowhere to be found.  With some guys playing extended minutes, it would have gone a long way for a Jeff Green, a Glen Davis or JON to come off the court and draw energy from KG.

Watching ESPN's "The Association" when Shaq stayed in the locker room during the Sixers game, I just don't see why Doc allows that.  There is NO reason whatsoever for that to occur.  If a player is with the team, especially at a road game, he should be required to sit with his teammates on the bench.  If he does not have a blazer or jacket, he should suit up like Pierce and Ray did, observe the play and help out where needed.

There is NOTHING being done in the locker room during games by players who aren't playing.  Honestly, I haven't seen energy like that from Ray since he hit the 3-pointer to overtake Reggie Miller.  He flew off the bench during timeouts and was the first to "high-five" every member coming off the floor.

Right now, with one game left, I think it would prove valuable to have these guys on the bench helping the guys who will be relied upon to back them up.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Re: KG and Rondo should be on the bench too

I agree somewhat with Rondo, but K.G. really has a problem with it....so what am I gonna do?  Obviously he would be too amped, and possible get a Tech from the bench...thats the only reason I could think that they let him stay in the locker room.  Would it be nice , yeah, but we know how intense K.G. is, and if he sias he cant be on the bench, fine.  I am more concerned with how he plays once he comes back, but I see your concern.  Just think we have bigger worries....and Rondo...well, they havent allowed cigar smoking on the bench since Red retired....lol

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

Yesterday's game, believe it or not, was very important.  Miami pulled away from Atlanta very late in the game so the game could have gotten us back in the #2 seed.  Forget the #2 seed.  Getting the backups more confidence is MOST IMPORTANT.

KG is a professional and he should see the delicate spot this team is in right now.  KG is too smart to get a technical in a game that has little significance.  He should understand the value he can provide to the backups as they struggle to gain any semblence of chemistry and confidence heading into the playoffs.  It's unfortunate if KG cannot put this as a priority in front of his personal "intensity".  Also, I am not even sure that he is THAT intense in street clothes sitting on the bench.  That might be a stretch.

Bottom line is, the bench has one more game to "get it together" and KG (and Rondo) can help them with their insight DURING the Knicks game on Wednesday.  Right now, the mentality should be "all hands on deck" to turn this thing around NOW.  Having these guys on the bench with their "in-game" insight FOR JUST ONE GAME is more important than whatever they are doing in the locker room.

I totally understand where you guys are coming from.  I just believe that, right now, everything should be geared towards the success of this struggling TEAM.  Any and all personal preferences go out the window for now.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

They do have a coach too, and not to make this out to be not important, but who is to say K.G. didnt have better things to do on his day off, like Rehab something,...Rest, or maybe his mistress was in town....but if they are off to rest, let them rest.  I think K.G. is nursing something anyhow...last game he played he was grimacing going into the locker room.  A week off for me, and I would be at the massage parlor first day with  a happy ending! 

I just think if this bench is going to do anything, its not gonna be cuz K.G. was yelling at them, I think they have to show and prove in a playoff atmosphere and that can only be shown in the playoffs when they start.  Other than that, they practice together all the time. Murphy has never played in a playoff game, and he barely will play in the playoffs when they start.  Everyone else will sit, and JON, Baby, West all have exp.  So no worries for me.

We know Doc alll to well to assume he plays any of these guys for long.  Green will be the wild card, IMO, and I wouldnt talk to much to him to get him thinking, tell him just play hard.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

JayShizzle45, I did suggest in my initial post that there should be a coach and 4 individual "tutors".  You're right, they do have a coach (and assistant coaches) but that coach cannot take the time to point something specific out to Wafer during a timeout.  Like I said while attending the game, you could see how Ray took Wafer aside and pointed out things to him.  The coach cannot do that to each player but the starters sitting on the bench can.

You are too funny with your "mistress" comment but, right now, with the team struggling like it has been and it being "money time", mistresses get put on the back-burner.  Everybody is nursing something but that should not keep players from being on the bench supporting their teammates.  Any LITTLE THING can make a difference in the bench's production.  It's the little things, the details, that tend to make the biggest difference.

I also indicated if I took anything from "The Association", Shaq seemed to be "chillin" in the locker room.  The trainers and doctors are on the bench, not in the locker room rehabbing players.

Again, KG encouraging (not yelling at) the bench players and pointing out specific helpful details (like Ray did) to improve their play could make the difference.  Also they don't practice enough and you cannot practice "game" situations unless you're in a game.

It's spa week in DC and I may have to consider your idea of having some time off.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

KG is not always going to be there for them...they need to understand that.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Petey, hope u have fun!  I guess in essense, I do agree with what u are saying, im just trying to provide some possible factors, because like someone else said, Rondo is usually there, so seeing as though Rondo and K.G. most likely needed the rest the most, maybe they didnt travel due to some kind of treatment, maybe Doc told them to stay home, who knows...but I would hope K.G. would provide what you are saying during the practices and during games as well. 

These guys are all vets and professionals and they need to prepare and play hard without instruction and if we still had Semih and Luke, maybe they would need it...but its buck up time!  No time for speeches....All hands on deck...you screw up, Doc is gonna nail ur a ss to the pine bench!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

The purpose of the time off was to give these guys a mental break. Get them away from baketball to clear their heads. That hapens a little better if they are a away from the game.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

tompenny, I'm glad you're amused and maybe, just maybe, I AM making something out of nothing.  However, as I sat in the arena last night watching the lengths to which Ray, and to some degree Pierce, pulled guys aside for some individual direction, I thought about how valuable that is and why KG and Rondo were not out there doing the same.  It could only help.  So it may be something out of nothing or maybe not!  I'm just posting about what I witnessed at last night's game.  Whether or not you continue to be amused, I appreciate you chiming in.

pbsmith, you're wrong, KG will be there for them.  It's money time and now that the playoffs are coming up, I think the mentality is they will be there for "each other".  KG will be there for them as I'm sure they will be expected to be there for him.  And if you look at how our bench has played, I'm sure you would agree they need all the help they can get.

For the record, KG and Rondo flew to DC from Miami and were in the arena earlier.  This I'm sure of.  JayShizzle, they are vets and professionals but when I hear Jeff Green comment that he still cannot fully comprehend the Celtics defensive sets and responsiblities (for example, covering the corner 3-point shot), that tells me that they still need instruction because they are NOT all on the same page.

It's not exactly "buck up time" yet.  We have one more "best possible game scenario" practice (the game against NY) tomorrow and all terminology and responsibilities should be figured out then.  Then it'll be buck up time.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pancakespwn. Show Pancakespwn's posts

Your basically asking for a grown man who has one numerous awards and has put together a HOF career to change his ways?

Im going to side with the guy who finds that he is better off at the end of the day sitting to the side rather than being mentally burnt out from a game. KG during the Bulls series was punching himself in the head while sitting on the bench. I rather him sit off to the side and do whatever rests his body.

Kobe last year when injured wasn't sitting on the bench he was getting treatment in the back. They won the championship that year.

Let the players get prepared for their jobs however they want. Let a player prepare however they want. When it doesn't work then you can complain. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rayman7. Show rayman7's posts

I stand with Petey on this issue.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

In Response to Re: KG and Rondo should be on the bench too:
    The purpose of the time off was to give these guys a mental break. Get them away from baketball to clear their heads. That hapens a little better if they are a away from the game.
    Posted by jtkl

I stand with you, jtkl.  Every player reacts in his own way and Doc is a master at trying to find THEIR buttons and push them.  I believe he'll work them for what they need to be ready for the playoffs and mental rest is what a person as intense as KG needs IMO.  I don't know about Rondo - maybe he just needs time to reflect on himself and Doc gave that to him.  Everyone knows Ray is the most quiet supporter and the classiest guy on the team.  Its no wonder he was there.  Ray motivates himself and found his way to relax - but being there.

So, each guy is different and is probably getting the treatment doc thinks THAT player needs to get ready for next Sunday.

I was at the game, too.  Paul didn't come out for the second half.  I don't know why, but I don't care.  The game was frustrating to watch but it was an irrelevant game and the most important thing (that everyone on the board is clamouring for) is to get the starters some rest.  So, when Doc gives them their own versions of rest, we now criticize HOW he gave them the rest.  

Come on, team, let's not make a mountain out of a molehill and especially when its the molehill we all wanted!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MinnesotaCelticsFan. Show MinnesotaCelticsFan's posts

KG is KG. He is unlike other NBA players, in that his passion for the game allows him to give 100% every night. I will take that quality, as a fan, over some precieved slight that does not really exist.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamezHill24. Show JamezHill24's posts

Petey..did you see two yrs ago? the bulls series? where kg sat on the bench? and almost got himself and the team numerous techs FROM THE BENCH?? id much rather him watching from the back where he cant hurt the team. he's too much of a great competitor to sit there and watch a game he knows hes not playing with..its not selfish, its smart thinking? as for Rondo? who knows where he was. but he has been at almost every game he was injured in, so i dont take alot of saltiness in him not being in the bench. the addition of those two last nite wouldnt have won us the game IMO.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

In Response to Re: KG and Rondo should be on the bench too:
    Petey..did you see two yrs ago? the bulls series? where kg sat on the bench? and almost got himself and the team numerous techs FROM THE BENCH?? id much rather him watching from the back where he cant hurt the team. he's too much of a great competitor to sit there and watch a game he knows hes not playing with..its not selfish, its smart thinking? as for Rondo? who knows where he was. but he has been at almost every game he was injured in, so i dont take alot of saltiness in him not being in the bench. the addition of those two last nite wouldnt have won us the game IMO.
    Posted by JamezHill24

I did watch the series against the Bulls and you make a good point.  However, there was never anything obvious or any reports made to suggest KG was an issue while on the bench (no warnings, camera shots of him arguing with an official, etc.).  I am sure the announcers would have made mention about any confrontations between KG and the officials had something of that nature occurred.  And KG was not on the bench for all 7 games of the Bulls series either.

And I think that is where the intention of this post is getting missed.  I'm not talking about having KG and Rondo on the bench during an intense, tough playoff game or series.  I'm talking about a game that obviously has been designated as a "backups game".  The team just flew into DC from Miami so everyone was there and the starters got the night off from playing.  It's not like they are home and able to get a few mental break days by not even coming to the arena.  To see the Spurs players on the bench last night IN LA encouraging their teammates is what I would love to have seen in Washington, AND TONIGHT AGAINST NY.

I will simply say, again, when I saw Ray and Pierce, I wondered why KG and Rondo were not out there helping like them.  I simply felt as "small" as this could have been, it probably would have gone a long way to helping the backups tighten up some areas on the court.  Same for tonight against NY.

And don't get me wrong.  I'm not mad at KG and Rondo and I'm not bashing them either.  I made an observation on an issue and it's obvious others don't see it that way.  I'm good with that!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

I do it all the time...our minds are all different and what you analyze and make important may not be the same for someone else, but doesnt make it not valid.  Case in point that with every loss, there is a new thread about Perk that goes up, and I dont agree that he is our problem right now....

I think we are all anxious to see what product gets rolled out for this years playoffs and we are all unsure of what we will see and are naturally concerned for them.  If they come out the way I think they will, we wont be having any of these type discussions anymore and we can finally see that all that worrying for the last 2 months was useless.  This team will surprise a lot of people , but not me.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

I can't wait.  It's what we've been waiting for -- Game One, Sunday at 7:00 PM.

Well, I'm off to my PMP Chapter meeting.  Have to check the game after halftime tonight.

Go Celtics.  Holla tomorrow.

Sections
Shortcuts