KG at Small Forward

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

KG at Small Forward

DO we REALLY need a backup SF at this point? If Sheed comes back why can't we use KG as a backup SF for spot duty. We will be deep enough to where when PP needs rest KG can move over to SF for 5-8 mins in a pinch. I'm not convinced that Quis will lock down the 3 spot.

Doc is going to have so many options it's not funny. He'll be able to go big with PP in the backcourt and KG at SF if he needed too. Who could stop a unit of
    Rondo
    PP
    KG
    JON
    Shaq

LOL, c'mon for stretches during a game that would be deadly. How do the Lakers match up with that??? Kobe would have to cover PP and Artest would have to cover KG, not unless Odom tries covering KG.

Doc is probably sleeping real well these days.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from KB24RULZ. Show KB24RULZ's posts

Re: KG at Small Forward

In Response to KG at Small Forward:
    DO we REALLY need a backup SF at this point? If Sheed comes back why can't we use KG as a backup SF for spot duty. We will be deep enough to where when PP needs rest KG can move over to SF for 5-8 mins in a pinch. I'm not convinced that Quis will lock down the 3 spot. Doc is going to have so many options it's not funny. He'll be able to go big with PP in the backcourt and KG at SF if he needed too. Who could stop a unit of Rondo PP KG JON Shaq LOL, c'mon for stretches during a game that would be deadly. How do the Lakers match up with that??? Kobe would have to cover PP and Artest would have to cover KG, not unless Odom tries covering KG. Doc is probably sleeping real well these days.
    Posted by BiasLewis

I bet Doc does sleep well, especially when he re-lives the nightmare lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKwf7IVBsFs

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mem17. Show mem17's posts

I agree with Lewis/Bias. Daniels is not a lock down for the backup 3 spot. Against certain matchups K.G could be a backup 3. However K.G's minutes should average 28-30 pg. in my opinion. Therefore his age and restricted minutes play into it also. 
       Thus far Daniels and possibly Wafer can play the backup 3 spot.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from GregoBoston. Show GregoBoston's posts

KG could have done it 4 years ago.  He is too slow now.  Keep him near the paint and get a back-up defensive SF at the trade deadline.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

I don't know too many 3's that KG can guard at this point in his career.  KG is strictly a 4 and hopefully will regain some of his pre-surgery abilities.  A year removed from knee surgery, he has the opportunity to return and be as dominant as before the knee injury.

I think this thread shows how critical it is for this team to get a solid, backup 3.  And I'd even be ok with trading Sheed.  With Sheed, we have way too many bigs.  We have set ourselves up perferctly without him and I just don't want his negativity and that laziness rubbing off on this team.  Sheed did well in the playoffs but I just don't want to go thru another season with this guy and his lack of work ethic negatively influencing this team again.

Sheed is an energy-zapper so I say trade him where he can zap another team's energy as far as I'm concerned.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaCeltics. Show DaCeltics's posts

Sheed saps my energy in the reg. I have to admit he gave it all back in the playoffs, though.

Good with the bad I guess.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bird-to-DJ. Show Bird-to-DJ's posts

KG at SF is not a simple yes/no issue... It is a match-up issue that can potentially allow Doc to play a particularly big line-up with KG at the SF.  One example... if the Magic move Lewis to the 3 for certain stretches of games... KG guarded him at the 3-pt line with Lewis at the 4 so what changes if the Magic go Big and KG (or BBD for that matter) guards Lewis at the 3.  Lamar Odom is another example...  Other team's 3's that are purely 3-pt shooters (Kapono, Battier, Posey, etc.) are another potential match-up positrion for KG at the 3... Depending on the match-up, there is no reason that KG or BBD could not provide some of the 14-16 minutes a games behind PP (assumuing he plays 32-34 mpg); albeit on most nights the match-ups might not favor this approach and could demand a defender with better perimeter defense - an areas where the C's most definitely have uncertainty at the moment.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaCeltics. Show DaCeltics's posts

With all of this depth in the frontcourt defensively it makes all of our perimeter defenders exponentially better than they would be without quality support behind them.

If we have a weakness, it will be against dynamic dribble penetrators like Wade and Lebron.

The teams that rely on the 3 point or low post offense will be in trouble.

The teams that rely on breaking the D down off the dribble (Miami) are going to give us some problems.

( Because our big men will be at the mercy of the referees!)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mem17. Show mem17's posts

Good post by birdtodj.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TeamUmbutu. Show TeamUmbutu's posts

KG was MVP of the 2003 all star game and first team all NBA at small forward. Why can't he play small forward now?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

In Response to Re: KG at Small Forward:
    KG at SF is not a simple yes/no issue... It is a match-up issue that can potentially allow Doc to play a particularly big line-up with KG at the SF.  One example... if the Magic move Lewis to the 3 for certain stretches of games... KG guarded him at the 3-pt line with Lewis at the 4 so what changes if the Magic go Big and KG (or BBD for that matter) guards Lewis at the 3.  Lamar Odom is another example...  Other team's 3's that are purely 3-pt shooters (Kapono, Battier, Posey, etc.) are another potential match-up positrion for KG at the 3... Depending on the match-up, there is no reason that KG or BBD could not provide some of the 14-16 minutes a games behind PP (assumuing he plays 32-34 mpg); albeit on most nights the match-ups might not favor this approach and could demand a defender with better perimeter defense - an areas where the C's most definitely have uncertainty at the moment.
    Posted by Bird-to-DJ

Exactly, this is my point. He has already played Lewis. KG may struggle against 3's like LBJ, PP or other playmaking SFs BUT the flipside of that is when they try to check him they are in for a big disadvantage when he takes them in the paint.

If he can come back healthier than last year (which I think he will) it's worth a shot at times against the better teams.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from KB24RULZ. Show KB24RULZ's posts

KG was MVP of the 2003 all star game and first team all NBA at small forward. Why can't he play small forward now?
    Posted by TeamUmbutu

Because he dosen't have a dominant shaq and Tim Duncan playing next to him. Jeez.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaCeltics. Show DaCeltics's posts

Win lose or draw I think our depth chart should be:

Rondo,Pierce,Garnett,Sheed or BBD,Shaq ( Rebounds!!! Lock Down!!!!)

-Garnett destroys Lebron.

-Pierce backs off Wade and his long arms bother Wade's shots.( Noone can stop Wade from penetrating so who cares?)
    Wade has trouble with Pierce however on the defensive end also!

Nate,Allen,Wafer,BBD or Harangody,JON ( The Run and Gun Squad!)

-JON drawing double teams and kicking it out to Ray Allen.

-Or maybe Pierce is put on the bench quickly by some star calls for Wade and Shaq is now kicking passes out of the post to Ray Allen!

Ray would be six man of the year! Green light like Jamal Crawford in ATL!

Lebron and Wade would have to rely upon their weaknesses (Jumpers) against Pierce and K.G. who are hanging on their shooting side but backing off.

That would be the best way to play them. With mobile length.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TeamUmbutu. Show TeamUmbutu's posts

Interesting response. Not only did he drop forty points on Vince Carter, but he stuffed Vince on defense.

While playing for the Wolves he would guard the other teams best player. Among the players he stuffed include Vince Carter, Tracy McGrady, Michael Jordan, Kome Bryant, Paul Pierce, Chancey Billups, Camelo Anthony, and Lebron James. 

While he is no longer as quick as he once was, he was first team all NBA at small forward, and first team on defense at small forward. 

Has Pierce ever been first or second team all NBA, or on any all defensive team as a small forward, or as a two guard? 

I think he could serve as Pierces back up if the need arose. I am not sure why you don't think so.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

KG could have done it 4 years ago.  He is too slow now.  Keep him near the paint and get a back-up defensive SF at the trade deadline.
    Posted by GregoBoston

BINGO

He used to be able to guard 3's, but that was years ago

Just like McHale used to guard Dominique and Bernard King and Worthy, letting the slower Bird tangle with the PF, then he broke his foot (when he was 3-4 years younger than KG) and was never the same, and stuck in the post

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ConnectingRod. Show ConnectingRod's posts

I can't imagine KG defending guys like Durant, Gay, and Lebron. KG's a PF end of story. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from VinniePapaGiorgio. Show VinniePapaGiorgio's posts

A Rondo-PP-KG-J. O'neal-S. O'neal five would be nasty on the defensive end but then your keeping your best shooter on the bench. Maybe in certain situations it would work but it would also make them susceptible to quick-dribbling guards. At least with the O'neals back there they have some shot blockers to deter them.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TeamUmbutu. Show TeamUmbutu's posts

Sorry guys,

In the play-offs this year, KG crushed both Jamison and Lewis, both small forwards playing power forward. Furthermore, KG is one of the few players in the league that can guard Lewis.

The way that he usually plays these people is to play off of them further than most, and dare them to shoot over him. With his length and shot blocking ability, they are forced to shoot with a higher arc that normal, and usually fail.

visit nbareference.com for a history lesson.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TeamUmbutu. Show TeamUmbutu's posts

When Lebron first entered the league and played the Wolves, he was guarded by KG. During Lebron's visit to Minneapolis, KG consoled Lebron after the game. KG told him not to give up because he would be a big star someday. That is after making him Lebron look bad.

While KG might not still be that guy, he certainly could act as a back up for Pierce

For years before he came to Boston, KG guarded Pierce at critical times during  games. Every one knew that Pierce always demanded the ball in the fouth quarter, and so KG would guard Pierce. In all those years, I don't remember Pierce ever succeeding against KG at the end of a game.

KG would be perfect for Durant. Just because he plays power forward now, does not mean that he always has played power forward. Before 2004, he played small forward, and as I said, he was first team All NBA. 

While Jordan played for the Wizards, KG guarded Jordan. After a game against the Wolves, Jordan said that if KG was in the East, he would dominate the conference.

Small forward back up? I think he can still handle it.

Sections
Shortcuts