KG is A Center

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

Re: KG is A Center

Similar to Duncan, who accepted this it seems many, many years and some championships ago (after the Admiral left). When he's out there with Sully, Sully can play down in the blocks on offense and KG can do more pick and pop.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

In Response to KG is A Center:
    [QUOTE]http://www.celticsblog.com/2012/8/5/3222413/kevin-garnett-is-a-center I have to agree with the article that it's best if KG is a Center. KG is not as explosive and as fast as when he first came to Boston. But that's not really a big drop off if he's a Center because Centers are usually not as fast as PFs.  
    Posted by Fiercest34[/QUOTE]

annnndddd....  the only problems are advancing age, he's likely to be outbulked and out strengthed any given night.  oh, and that knee that he had the problems with.  fine if you want to run him as a "center" but don't expect 3 seasons out of him and be ready for injury sooner than if he was playing against guys that he's more equal with pound for pound.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

In Response to KG is A Center:
    [QUOTE]http://www.celticsblog.com/2012/8/5/3222413/kevin-garnett-is-a-center I have to agree with the article that it's best if KG is a Center. KG is not as explosive and as fast as when he first came to Boston. But that's not really a big drop off if he's a Center because Centers are usually not as fast as PFs.  
    Posted by Fiercest34[/QUOTE]

Ooops, also forget the eventual "running out of gas" which did happen for KG, for the first time that I've ever really seen it, against Miami this last year.  You run him as a center, they are going to try to bang him around knowing he's not really a banger, and sooner or later he's going to wear out for it.

I'd suggest SPOT DUTY at center for KG would be much more advantageous for the "long haul" of the celts the next 2 years.  ahh, but there's the catch 22, as danny has signed NOTHING at the center spot and we (did we?!) re-up the 4-only inferior rebounding bass for another year.

IF you really want to win with "KG at 5" then you have to have other things ready to go in the event that he starts showing signs of wear and for "any given night" where the opposing 5 is dwight howard, bynum or some 290 pound goon with no talent just out there to mash on KG.  and one of those contingencies would be to have a viable big who could book 20 minutes a night in spot duty. 

collins is past those days.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

In response to Fiercest34's comment:
    [QUOTE]http://www.celticsblog.com/2012/8/5/3222413/kevin-garnett-is-a-center

I have to agree with the article that it's best if KG is a Center. KG is not as explosive and as fast as when he first came to Boston. But that's not really a big drop off if he's a Center because Centers are usually not as fast as PFs.  

[/QUOTE]

well, the problem lies with playing undersized bass at the 4 with wispy kg at the 5- it's a recipe for getting whacked on the boards and inside.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bt33. Show bt33's posts

In response to aciemvp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]http://www.celticsblog.com/2012/8/5/3222413/kevin-garnett-is-a-center

I have to agree with the article that it's best if KG is a Center. KG is not as explosive and as fast as when he first came to Boston. But that's not really a big drop off if he's a Center because Centers are usually not as fast as PFs.  

[/QUOTE]

well, the problem lies with playing undersized bass at the 4 with wispy kg at the 5- it's a recipe for getting whacked on the boards and inside.

[/QUOTE]

yes.

the issue isn't garnett at center. he's fine there. particularly on the nights when there isn't a traidional quality center on the court. BUT...

1. he's being played basically in 5 minute intervals.

2. he's playing alongside undersized 4s.

3. instead of legit back-up big men to play behind him we have a 4 and an over the hill guy who can't bring anything to the table. this team not only doesn't go big, it literally CAN'T go big. 

so, when forced to go against the howard's/bynums/lopez' of the world they are in a heap of trouble. garnett has a hard enough time with centers with legit size and strength (because he is 36 years old and 220 pounds) anyway, but as constitued right now there is literally no help.

we won a championship with garnett at the 4 true, but it was 5 years ago AND there was a legitimate starting center on the roster AND a quality veteran 4/5 who could fill minutes there. and in any event, it's not really about where he plays - it's about who he plays with.  

i know people love sullinger, but he is a kid. love the fundamentals too, love the maturity and the potential, but he is lost on the court a lot right now - against quality opponents it's coming at him too fast. so he'll look like a million bucks for stretches and then the next game not be able to get anything done. it's called being a rookie in the NBA. he'll be a solid player, but counting on him for consistent high level play night in and night out right now is a real stretch. and again, he is undersized at the 4 and can't jump. 

the milicic thing is more confusing admist all of this, especially when you consider that this team is running way, way less than one might have expected. it's just an odd group right now who seem lost on defense and unsure of their identity offensively. jeff green is the most glaring disappointment, but there are plenty of larger issues at play. 

though some of this might work out over time, and bradley will help some, looks like one or two personnel moves are going to have to be made. don't think they contend as constituted, which is a shame because there's a lot of talent there. 

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from basketbert. Show basketbert's posts

In response to damfuno's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Kirk6's comment:
    [QUOTE]

We won the championship with KG at power forward.

[/QUOTE]

BECAUSE WE HAD PERK AS THE ENFORCER BEHIND HIM..........WHILE HE MAY NOT HAVE DONE MUCH HE DID LET IT BE KNOWN THAT THAT WAS HIS TURF AND HE "WOULD" DEFEND IT  now it is a deserted town.......people just drive down out street and there is no one home

[/QUOTE]

True.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHEisCHE. Show CHEisCHE's posts

Let me see if I can figure this out...............gARNETT entered the NBA game as forward 1995. Today is 2012-13 season.....hmmmmmmm, almost 18 years as a forward. 18 YEARS is not a joke. The pounding takes the beating.

82 games x 18 years = 1476 games  --  and now he's good aS A CENTER ????

This assessment just happened yesterday? who da zhyte will tell us he's good as a center? HE HATED A CENTER POSITION SINCE HE CAME TO NBA. BVLL~CRAP WHO EVER WROTE AND AGREED WITH THIS CHEAP ARTICLE! 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigbostonceltics. Show bigbostonceltics's posts

he is out of position  he just cannot bang with the bigger centers in the nba,not a low post theat either as he hates to take the ball to the hoop.as said pick and pop player not banger like sully.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

It doesn't matter what KG is called.  He is a BIG.  Thats the only things that matters.  What does matter is he can't be the only BIG playing BIG minutes.   Since we don't have anyone but Wilcox and Collins ,  we have to give them minutes, let them bust people up coming into the lane and hopefully get rebounds.  We have to get tougher. Period!!!

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHEisCHE. Show CHEisCHE's posts

"And how will KG keep up with the younger and faster PFs of the NBA now?"

No brainer, everyone can give him a hint ------------->RETIRE!

You can't convert the man for 18 years playing his position. Somewhere along the line, we all have limitation that we need to recognize.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

Not sure if your addressing me or not.  I know exactly why KG is a center.  I watched last year when we were struggling and Doc moved him to center and Bass to PF.  I continued to have faith that they would turn it around, get in the playoffs and make noise.  They did just as I had thought they would.  I never gave up.  No one said KG could chase around a young PF anymore.  I simply said he was a big.  I say we need more than 1 big.  Doesn't matter if its a PF or a Center.  We need a defensive presence and rebounder.  Where do you think KG would play if we get Gortat?  I don't think it would be center, except when Gortat isn't playing.

Now do you Get it?

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to CHEisCHE's comment:
    [QUOTE]

"And how will KG keep up with the younger and faster PFs of the NBA now?"

No brainer, everyone can give him a hint ------------->RETIRE!

You can't convert the man for 18 years playing his position. Somewhere along the line, we all have limitation that we need to recognize.

[/QUOTE]

I agree with you 100% that KG should have retired and didn't come back this season. 

It would have forced Ainge to start the rebuilding process.

But since people in Boston still pay top dollar to see KG play, Ainge had no choice but to bring him back. 

It was a brilliant move. The Celts are rebuilding on the fly but TD Garden will still be sold out on most nights because of KG, Pierce, and Rondo. 

The NBA is a business first and a sport second, Che!

[/QUOTE]

Does this mean you think the C's will not be a  factor this year?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigbostonceltics. Show bigbostonceltics's posts

the problem is kg is not a banger.we need someone who will play in the paint,not kgs thing.cant expect pick and pop player to be a banger.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

In response to bigbostonceltics' comment:
    [QUOTE]

the problem is kg is not a banger.we need someone who will play in the paint,not kgs thing.cant expect pick and pop player to be a banger.

[/QUOTE]

bingo

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

I can agree with that.  The only other way it turns around is Wilcox starts getting a lot more minutes and Sully learns on the fly with huge minutes.  Not sure if that works either but something definitely has to change.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts