KG Rapidly Declining

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

Re: KG Rapidly Declining

In Response to KG Rapidly Declining:
    After 4 games KG is only averaging 10.8 ppg and 5.8 rpg. What's worse is the Celts are only averaging 34 rebounds per game, 28th in the NBA. This is unacceptable. 
    Posted by Fiercest34

Agree.  They need to sign another big man.  Not sure who they would have to trade to accomplish this, but they definitely need more size.  I believe that if KG has a bad season he may decide to retire.  This really doesn't help us this season, but since he has no contract after this season, it is highly unlikely that the Celtics or another team would want to sign him if he ends up having a bad season. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

This is the biggest story of the Celtics season. The Celtics prime mover and shaker appears to have lost his game.  He looks like he has a problem with his legs and it is not just fatigue.  If Garnett can't get his mojo back there is nothing that can be done to fix it this year.

It is surprising that this is not being talked about more in the press because it is glaringly obvious. Let's hope it is an injury that will get better with time. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

When KG went down during the 2008/09 season we lost a golden opportunity at repeating....the Celtics were dominating and were hands down the best team in the league....they lost to Orlando....that was a huge disappointment for the "Big Three Era"...of course they lost in game 7 against the Lakers the following year....ever since that injury KG has never been the same...he no longer explodes to the rim...he is a jump shooter who won't go inside...I guess he is what he is...a guy capable of 15/8....better at times....that would be ok if you are Chris Bosh...the old KG is forever gone....what a shame...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

Happy New Year to everyone from the Boston fan from Cleveland, Ohio. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In Response to Re: KG Rapidly Declining:
    Happy New Year to everyone from the Boston fan from Cleveland, Ohio. 
    Posted by cavaliersfan

Haooy New Year to You.  I wish I was going to Times Square tonight.  Maybe sometime soon I will spend New Years Eve in NY. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ShepherdCall. Show ShepherdCall's posts

Look at Tim Duncan's numbers the last two years;  Doc and Danny know this is this is the reason we went after David West and why Bradon Bass is getting a bigger and bigger role with each passing game. 

KG is not going, NOR DOES he want to carry a team every night.  All we need is for KG to remain healthy, be rested, and keep get the team defensive intensity up, with the occasional big game.   

Paul Pierce, as I stated in another post is the CAPTIAN;  has been, is, and will be the ALPHA DOG.  

If KG can continue to Bass, Wilcox, Stiemsma, and help bark out the orders on defense like a "middle-line-backer" we will be fine.   

I completely fault Doc and Danny for KG looking winded in the playoffs last year.   He went out and got all these guys Kristic, Murphy, planning on Shaq, and at the end of the day shoved him and Baby out there to do all the work;  frankly both of them were winded.   

Regardless of what is going on in the game in Phoenix and San Antonio, Nash and Duncan come out and go in the game.  Regular season "wins and losses" have to be the responsibilty of the rest of the team, but KG has to be on a strick quota.   

For example KG should never have back into the game in the fourth quarter against the Pistons;  if the second unit is floundering leave that up to Rondo, Allen, and Pierce (when he gets healthy).  

The fact of the matter is that what hurt most about the three losses is that we had no defensive identity;  that is the Celtics and is KG only responsibility....  I could care less if he averages 7 and 7; as long as teams are scoring less that 90 points I am happy. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Sheperd,
    You are right in your assumptions about KG. Where I disagree is that it is alright.

We will be struggling all year with no production from KG.  We don't have the horses to pick up the slack.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

In Response to Re: KG Rapidly Declining : Teams are scoring 101 points per game against us. Our opponents are also averaging 9.5 offensive rebounds against us. That means 9.5 potential 2nd shot opportunities. And KG is not even averaging 7 rebounds per game, he's just averaging 5.8 rebounds per game.
    Posted by Fiercest34

By getting a bigger percentage of rebounds in a game means less offensive rebounds by the other team for more offensive rebounds by us.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from walk2run. Show walk2run's posts

In response to "Re: KG Rapidly Declining":
    Happy New Year to everyone from the Boston fan from Cleveland, Ohio.  Posted by cavaliersfan
    Same to you and your family and of course the Celtic nation.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

In Response to Re: KG Rapidly Declining : How will that happen if we're being outrebounded on both ends? Celts - 8.8 off. rpg 25.3 def rpg = 34 rpg Opponent - 9.5 off. rpg 28.5 def rpg = 38 rpg Clearly we are getting beat on both ends.
    Posted by Fiercest34

It means trouble in beantown.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

You act like the rebounding issue is something new. It's been the same for the C'z the last 3 years. Why would it change with the same starting unit that is older but with JO instead of Perk?

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

i think the rebounding will get better, the big 4 are really working their way back into shape, as are the mavs, lakers....KG seems to be on a bit of a downfall, but he still does play his heart out. And the pickup of bass has already shown to be big and he will continue to impress...hes not a great rebounder, but his strength alone helps out on the boards

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from passfirst. Show passfirst's posts

The Celtics of the last few years would have shut New Orleans down over the last few minutes and won the game by tightening their defense.  This team won't have that kind of identity this year.  What their identity will become?  i don't know.  But buckle down defense won't be it.  They don't have the strength inside to funnel everything into a closed and clogged lane effectively like they used to.   

KG couldn't take it strong to the hoop on a couple of occasions last night and it spoke loudly.  It looked good when he bounce passed it to Pierce for a three but that was as much a bail out as anything.   

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leocris. Show Leocris's posts

The decline is expected. It's his 16 years in the league! Thats a lot of mileage. Plus all the injuries he went through.... I would say limit his minutes and let Bass play more minutes...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrJohnnyMost. Show MrJohnnyMost's posts

Of course... and that's sort of true for the team, as well.

We don't have anybody that's likely to improve. It's becoming apparent that the kids won't play and, thus, won't improve.

We're going through our last hurrah and hoping everything breaks just right. There's no one waiting in the wings to give us a boost.

I would like a servicable 7 footer but I'm dreaming again.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

" I would like a servicable 7 footer but I'm dreaming again."

Erick Dampier was available last time I checked. Is he serviceable? :)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

The Celtics of the last few years would have shut New Orleans down over the last few minutes and won the game by tightening their defense.  This team won't have that kind of identity this year.  What their identity will become?  i don't know.  But buckle down defense won't be it.  They don't have the strength inside to funnel everything into a closed and clogged lane effectively like they used to.     KG couldn't take it strong to the hoop on a couple of occasions last night and it spoke loudly.  It looked good when he bounce passed it to Pierce for a three but that was as much a bail out as anything.   
    Posted by passfirst

Well, its nice to remember it that way but unfortunately, that's not been the case over the last couple of years.  Last year, especially, the C's gave up many leads and lost to weaker teams in the 4th quarter.....especially on the 2nd night of back to backs.  We'd go out and beat someone good and then lose on that second night to someone like Golden State or Phoenix.  

This team has had the "second night of a back to back" problem for years.  That's a fact we cannot deny, Passfirst.

Shepherd - that was a really good post and I agree with almost all of it.  The only thing I'd disagree with is why KG was winded last year (and what continues to be wrong with this team).  He was winded because we had no quality bigs.  Shaq was out. JON was out. Semih got traded. Perk got traded.  That left KG, Baby (at his height??) and Krstic (soft).  Murphy could not contribute because every time he got into the game, he gave us NOTHING.  This is what Danny did to this team.  I'm not opening the Perk trade debate.....I'm just stating facts.  It may have been good for the franchise long term but near term, we are a small team and that puts way too much pressure on an old and leg weary, skinny guy named KG - who cannot handle that pressure at this stage of his career.  He's no longer a superstar.....and he has NO real help underneath.   Its a shame when your team has to count on a skinny, 35 year old with a weak knee to be its powerful big man.  Just not going to happen.

San Antonio got away with it regular season (like we often did) but both teams were exposed in the playoffs, Shepherd.   There's just no replacement for youthful and strong legs.

So, Danny put us in this situation and its his job to get us out.  We'll make the playoffs.  We'll win some nice games.   Our flawed team is better than most other teams.   But, until he brings in a big man or Steimsma + JON can do to good teams what they did last night to a weak team.....we are in trouble in the playoffs.   Get yourselves prepared, fans, cause this team can't compete with the elite in a seven game series without more height/strength underneath.

I'm prepared just to enjoy them as they are and keep my expectations for the playoffs low.....and hope Danny has some effective grand plan for next year with the picks and the cap room.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

KG needs a tough presence at 5.  Without that, he is not physical enough.  Get that and he will do fine.

Unfortunately, a tough presence at 5 is not easy to get.  We will probably have to wait until the trade deadline to see what is available.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from henryfinkel. Show henryfinkel's posts

" I would like a servicable 7 footer but I'm dreaming again." Erick Dampier was available last time I checked. Is he serviceable? :)
    Posted by BostonTrollSpanker

Last time I checked, Dampier was carrying well over 300 pounds on his 6' 11" frame. He now moves like one of those zombies on the "Walking Dead".  Better to give the 7 ft rookie Stiemsa the minutes. He has excellent footwork and great shot-blocking instincts.

Sections
Shortcuts