KG to Retire?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RajonRondowski. Show RajonRondowski's posts

KG to Retire?

-

That's what Jackie MacMullen speculates on WEEI today.  J-Mac bases her gut- hunch on the way KG disappeared after the Game 5 loss, how hard he took that loss, and on cryptic comments he made during the season including the All Star weekend.

She stresses that hers is just "a feeling" and is not based on any reports or conversations.

She also touches on Big Baby's problems, Rondo, Jeff Green, and Paul Pierce possibly coming of the bench and how odd the idea must seem to The Truth.

J-Mac thinks that the Celtics are up to something big, what with the five year contract to Doc and all the free agents, the sign & trade possibilities and the NBA cap restructuring.

Interesting stuff.

http://rajonrondowski.blogspot.com/

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

Re: KG to Retire?

In Response to KG to Retire?:
    - That's what Jackie MacMullen speculates on WEEI today.  J-Mac bases her gut- hunch on the way KG disappeared after the Game 5 loss, how hard he took that loss, and on cryptic comments he made during the season including the All Star weekend. She stresses that hers is just "a feeling" and is not based on any reports or conversations. She also touches on Big Baby's problems, Rondo, Jeff Green, and Paul Pierce possibly coming of the bench and how odd the idea must seem to The Truth. J-Mac thinks that the Celtics are up to something big, what with the five year contract to Doc and all the free agents, the sign & trade possibilities and the NBA cap restructuring. Interesting stuff. http://rajonrondowski.blogspot.com/
    Posted by RajonRondowski

There are 21million reasons KG is going nowhere.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

That would be huge but I cannot see KG walking away from $21.2 million and the final year of the contract.  It would still count against our cap so I don't know what benefit it would be to the Celtics either.

Also and most important, he should not retire.

For one season, his final, KG can still be a 24 minute per game player who can effect the game.  The shame is that he no longer is a 30-plus minutes night in and night out force on the game.  He can be a force one night and not the next two so it will be interesting.  I will tell you what, if he DID walk away, my respect level for him would SKYROCKET.  There is no other way to show your love for the game and an acceptance of one's dimished skills.  Nope, he isn't going to retire.

Jackie needs to get a retirement decision quote from Shaq.  Now we're talking about someone who needs to retire based on this entire season. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tayshawn. Show Tayshawn's posts

It does not matter 1 way or the other, the celtics are heading in the direction of irrlevance really fast. With ainge as the GM, they will be there sooner rather than later. 2030 is a long way off. Laughing

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Good post, Petey.  Only one question.....I'm not clear on why your respect for him would skyrocket if he walked away.  Are you saying yo'd see that he loves the game more than money if he walked away from the money?  

If that's what you are saying, I'd feel the opposite.  I would respect him more if he either took less money so the team could get someone else or if he played out the string and accepted a lesser role to help the team.  But, walking away to me, is just like "I'm taking my ball and going home because I'm not the top dog, anymore".  That I don't respect.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Forgot to say, In the end, I don't think KG is going anywhere.  I think KG, Ray, Paul, and Rondo (right or wrong) think that the breaks didn't go their way but that they are not washed up.  Superstars never face that reality until its consistently smashed in their faces (Bird, Magic, Favre, etc, etc, etc).   I believe that these guys believe that they only lost because of a few bad plays, the trade, and poor bench play.   With a better bench and less minutes on them - I bet they think they can still compete/win.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

I don't see KG retiring.  I would imagine that the big 3 will still be with the Celtics for the remainder of their contracts.   Shaq may indeed retire.  We should find out soon about Shaq's status, although, I remember another thread that said that he has no intentions of retiring. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

Celtsfan4life, you are correct.  I'd have more respect for THAT too (the lowering his salary idea).  Most players who don't have it any longer would stay and take the money even though they know they can't do it anymore.

I'd have so much respect for him if he walked away from the $21 million knowing he could not play like KG is used to playing (not necessarily the game).  Let's say KG's game dipped to the level of Antwan Jamison and he was making $21 million.  If he decided that since he could not play like KG for that $21 million and would walk away, that would show alot about his character.

It would be like he did not want to be any player other than KG and would not play if he could not play like KG.  That's rare if not unheard of!

But you are right, I'd have alot of respect for him if he took a major paycut.  Unfortunately, that isn't something that he can do.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

In Response to Re: KG to Retire?:
    Forgot to say, In the end, I don't think KG is going anywhere.  I think KG, Ray, Paul, and Rondo (right or wrong) think that the breaks didn't go their way but that they are not washed up.  Superstars never face that reality until its consistently smashed in their faces (Bird, Magic, Favre, etc, etc, etc).   I believe that these guys believe that they only lost because of a few bad plays, the trade, and poor bench play.   With a better bench and less minutes on them - I bet they think they can still compete/win.
    Posted by Celtsfan4life

For the past two years, we've seen some disturbing trends.  Late in games, late in seasons and late in playoffs, we fade.  I remember games in February and March, posters would always say that there are no back-to-backs in the playoffs.  In spite of that, we have showed a propensity to fade at the end and lose games.  Our bench helped us at times last season and failed us at times.  Same for this past season.  Rondo wasn't healthy but Delonte provided huge, effective minutes this season in the playoffs.

I just see the one, constant thread is the failure of the Big 3 to finish.  It even goes further than that.  The Big 3 can no longer sustain their play consistently.  How many games did we get great performances from the Big 3 this season?  Those games were few and far between.

We say the same thing every year -- with a better bench and less minutes.  With each passing year, our bench would need to get THAT much better to compensate for the advancing age of the Big 3 and the minutes threshhold where their play declines.  Next season, we will need bench players who can spell Ray, PP and KG for as much time as THEY play.

Would these guys really be effective playing just 25-30 minutes per game?  KG played 31 minutes a game this season and ran out of gas in the playoffs.  And he missed 11 games during the season.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

Celtsfan4life, you are correct.  I'd have more respect for THAT too (the lowering his salary idea).  Most players who don't have it any longer would stay and take the money even though they know they can't do it anymore. I'd have so much respect for him if he walked away from the $21 million knowing he could not play like KG is used to playing (not necessarily the game).  Let's say KG's game dipped to the level of Antwan Jamison and he was making $21 million.  If he decided that since he could not play like KG for that $21 million and would walk away, that would show alot about his character. It would be like he did not want to be any player other than KG and would not play if he could not play like KG.  That's rare if not unheard of! But you are right, I'd have alot of respect for him if he took a major paycut.  Unfortunately, that isn't something that he can do.
    Posted by Petey62

If I remember correctly, that salaries can't be restructed in the NBA.  This could change when the new CBA takes place and if teams have a lower cap.  Elite players will probably be paid a lot less than they currently are and you won't see the top players making $20 million, but a lot less than that, depending on the new salary cap.  Since the two sides are not even close to reaching a new agreement, I would imagine that it is a good possibility that a shortened season or no NBA season next year is definititely possible. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

In Response to Re: KG to Retire? : For the past two years, we've seen some disturbing trends.  Late in games, late in seasons and late in playoffs, we fade.  I remember games in February and March, posters would always say that there are no back-to-backs in the playoffs.  In spite of that, we have showed a propensity to fade at the end and lose games.  Our bench helped us at times last season and failed us at times.  Same for this past season.  Rondo wasn't healthy but Delonte provided huge, effective minutes this season in the playoffs. I just see the one, constant thread is the failure of the Big 3 to finish.  It even goes further than that.  The Big 3 can no longer sustain their play consistently.  How many games did we get great performances from the Big 3 this season?  Those games were few and far between. We say the same thing every year -- with a better bench and less minutes.  With each passing year, our bench would need to get THAT much better to compensate for the advancing age of the Big 3 and the minutes threshhold where their play declines.  Next season, we will need bench players who can spell Ray, PP and KG for as much time as THEY play. Would these guys really be effective playing just 25-30 minutes per game?  KG played 31 minutes a game this season and ran out of gas in the playoffs.  And he missed 11 games during the season.
    Posted by Petey62

Yet another one of your good posts.  

The only thing I would say to perhaps give a different point of view is that our team's injuries have been "frustrating".  In 2009, it was KG's major injury.  In 2010, it was Perk's injury.  In 2011, it was Shaq and Rondo.  The Heat, the Bulls, the Mavs, the Thunder have not experienced that.  The Lakers (Bynum), the Trailblazers (Roy/Odom), etc. have experienced it.  It changes everything.  

Our losses and "fizzling at the end of the season/games" is not just a matter of age.   Its our fate to have had these injuries and they changed out fate.  I don't think the Big 3 would have been as tired had we had the support staff (Shaq, JON all year, BBD, Delonte all year, etc) in place.  These injuries changed how much the Big 3 played, they changed our record in the last 3rd of the season and our home court advantage, and they changed our ability to win games in the playoffs.  

So, I just don't think it was the big 3 fading (which they did).  Its WHY they faded that also important to understand.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from walk2run. Show walk2run's posts

I think KG is going to retire and become a Buddist monk...you see, it's just an opinion.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

I can't necessarily agree with her on KG retiring. I could see it if the lockout extends into next year.

I DO believe her when she says something BIG is going to go down with the C's.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

I can't necessarily agree with her on KG retiring. I could see it if the lockout extends into next year. I DO believe her when she says something BIG is going to go down with the C's.
    Posted by BiasLewis

What do you think tha Danny will do that could change this team next year? 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaCeltics. Show DaCeltics's posts

In Response to Re: KG to Retire? : What do you think tha Danny will do that could change this team next year? 
    Posted by susan250

They are going to trade one of the big 4 IMO. Who, is anyone's guess.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

In Response to Re: KG to Retire? : The older you get the more prone you are to injuries. So it's not a coincidence that the Celts are suffering from all sorts of injuries. 
    Posted by Fiercest34

That would be all our our general impression, but its not the case here.  Rondo's ebow, back, hamstring - young guy.  Perk's knee - young guy. 'Quis freak accident - young guy.  Wafer's leg injury - young guy.  BBD's knee - young guy.  Semih's shoulder - young guy.  West's broken wrist and shoulder and ankle - young guy.

We've had KG, Shaq, and JON as the only old guys with injuries.  Ray and Paul have had no significant injury.  So, our old guys held up pretty darn well, save Shaq.  The other injuries had nothing to do with age.  Its just plain old bad luck, man.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

I think Rondo is out the door for a top player. If the deal is right and Ainge can package Rondo with BBD or JON's deal I think it gets done. Then if the C's still aren't playing well by the break I think at that point Ainge explores unloading RA or KG's contract for 2012.

Ainge and Doc know they have West and Bradley if they need to go with one of them but if a package including Rondo can land you a Paul, Granger, Gasol and Conley, they do it.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaCeltics. Show DaCeltics's posts

In Response to Re: KG to Retire? : That would be all our our general impression, but its not the case here.  Rondo's ebow, back, hamstring - young guy.  Perk's knee - young guy. 'Quis freak accident - young guy.  Wafer's leg injury - young guy.  BBD's knee - young guy.  Semih's shoulder - young guy.  West's broken wrist and shoulder and ankle - young guy. We've had KG, Shaq, and JON as the only old guys with injuries.  Ray and Paul have had no significant injury.  So, our old guys held up pretty darn well, save Shaq.  The other injuries had nothing to do with age.  Its just plain old bad luck, man.
    Posted by Celtsfan4life

Again, you reap what you sow. If you do wrong by good folks, wrong will come to you or your organization.

They did wrong by Leon Powe. They did wrong by Perk. Did they do wrong by Clifford Ray also?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rajon-Hondo. Show Rajon-Hondo's posts

The only way KG retires is if the new cba allows retired salaries to come off the books or allowing restructuring like NFL does. If we get a Chandler or Delembert and resign BB maybe KG comes off the bench,he has the most logged minutes of the big 3. Unless those are the scenarios I don't see it happening. Good off season fodder though.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MsLithium21. Show MsLithium21's posts

In Response to Re: KG to Retire? : That would be all our our general impression, but its not the case here.  Rondo's ebow, back, hamstring - young guy.  Perk's knee - young guy. 'Quis freak accident - young guy.  Wafer's leg injury - young guy.  BBD's knee - young guy.  Semih's shoulder - young guy.  West's broken wrist and shoulder and ankle - young guy. We've had KG, Shaq, and JON as the only old guys with injuries.  Ray and Paul have had no significant injury.  So, our old guys held up pretty darn well, save Shaq.  The other injuries had nothing to do with age.  Its just plain old bad luck, man.
    Posted by Celtsfan4life

I agree entirely.  Other than Avery Bradley who played like 2 minutes a game, the only players to remain healthy in a Celtics uniform all season were the "old" duo of Paul Pierce and Ray Allen.  The fact that only 3 guys on the whole team can claim that distinction - that can ONLY be chalked up to bad luck.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

In Response to Re: KG to Retire? : I think it goes beyond the injuries........we seem to either 1) be missing the defensive wizardry of Thibs or 2) we had tired legs and when we flash to double team we don't have the speed to get back to our man.........it was very seldom that I saw our defensive presence go for a full half/game after the AS break....
    Posted by damfuno

Jack Edwards, the Bruins play by play guy was on WEEI a couple of times this week and each time he said something that I think is absolutely true and something that I have been saying for years on this board.

He said being in Boston fans tend to view things, whether a win or a loss, that it resulted from something the home team did - so when they win it was not because the other team had a bad night - it was because the Bruins / Cs / Sox / Pats did something to dictate the outcome and when it is a loss it was of course something the Bruins / Cs / Sox / Pats did.

The idea that the result was as a result of something the opponent did is just a foreign concept to most fans.

The Heat are a better team. period.  Younger, more athletic, and so on.  The Cs were supposed to have a distinct advantage at the 1 and the 5 and the 1 and the 5 were largely irrelevant in the series because the Heat dictated what was going to happen.

I wish people could think this way but then again how would we have endless moronic threads and posts about any number of subjects?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from edcap99. Show edcap99's posts

In Response to Re: KG to Retire? : Yet another one of your good posts.   The only thing I would say to perhaps give a different point of view is that our team's injuries have been "frustrating".  In 2009, it was KG's major injury.  In 2010, it was Perk's injury.  In 2011, it was Shaq and Rondo.  The Heat, the Bulls, the Mavs, the Thunder have not experienced that.  The Lakers (Bynum), the Trailblazers (Roy/Odom), etc. have experienced it.  It changes everything.   Our losses and "fizzling at the end of the season/games" is not just a matter of age.   Its our fate to have had these injuries and they changed out fate.  I don't think the Big 3 would have been as tired had we had the support staff (Shaq, JON all year, BBD, Delonte all year, etc) in place.  These injuries changed how much the Big 3 played, they changed our record in the last 3rd of the season and our home court advantage, and they changed our ability to win games in the playoffs.   So, I just don't think it was the big 3 fading (which they did).  Its WHY they faded that also important to understand.
    Posted by Celtsfan4life
    The Mavs lost Caron Butler to injury during the regular season. He was a major contributor to their offense.

Sections
Shortcuts